PDA

View Full Version : Lack of corners won

Forza Fred
03-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Obviously don't get to many games, so judgements made on games televised down here.

One perception based on above is that we seem to win very few corners, compared to other teams.

Both the Rangers game and hearts game this seems to have been the case.

Is it a sign of a potential problem?

Any stattos possibly confirm if the perception is a reality, and if so, why is it so?

Hermit Crab
03-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Obviously don't get to many games, so judgements made on games televised down here.

One perception based on above is that we seem to win very few corners, compared to other teams.

Any stattos possibly confirm if the perception is a reality, and if so, why is it so?

We've been averaging about 9-10 corners a game. Derbies are tight and not much given away by both teams.

Last week we had zero corners for the first time in a very long time but won 4-0. I'll take that every week mate. We don't have an issue in that department in my opinion.

snedzuk
03-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Its a false stat for hibs being that we often fail to get a cross past the first defender thereby gaining a corner but seldom an advantage (save for allen/ malonga short corner and fontaines goal against raith).

As previous poster said zero corners and 4 goals v huns is a much better outcome.

B.H.F.C
03-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Wouldn't have mattered if we'd had 15 corners. Set piece delivery really let us down today.

The_Sauz
03-01-2015, 11:34 PM
In 180 mins of league football against THE Rangers, we have had 1(ONE) corner, and yet scored 7 goals and lost one. :agree:

Billy
03-01-2015, 11:47 PM

In competitive matches this season, we have had 161 corner kicks. The opposition have had 123.

SaulGoodman
03-01-2015, 11:50 PM
In competitive matches this season, we have had 161 corner kicks. The opposition have had 123.

I'm impressed, how did you get that stat?

Sir David Gray
03-01-2015, 11:52 PM

We won 4-0 last week.

I couldn't care less how many corners we get if we're beating the opposition by that sort of scoreline.

Billy
04-01-2015, 12:31 AM
I'm impressed, how did you get that stat?

As part of my job I record those details :thumbsup:

brianmc
04-01-2015, 01:40 AM
And from those 161 corners we've scored how many goals? My guess would be...... 4, with J Foster scoring 3 of them??
Seems a hell of a lot of 'set piece' chances with very little return?
Mind you, as mentioned above, if only we could play every week like we have against the huns then corner kicks wouldn't matter can jot.

Forza Fred
04-01-2015, 03:53 AM

As said in my original post my perception was based on the televised games shown down under.

Thanks for the reality.

Agree with those that say we don't seem to be a potent force at dead ball situations' but as stated if we can beat Rangers every time, I don't particularly care where the goals come from:greengrin

crash
04-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Watching the game v Alloa at Easter Road recently we had 17 corners, only 2 of which were won by Hibs players(Fontaine both times runs to the front post).That is poor by any standard, and this has cost us points in other matches this season.

portycabbage
04-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Hearts only had 3 corners yesterday to our 5-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30609216

Also, we have only had one shot on target against us in the last 2 games against the Yammish and Sevco (although to me, the shot cleared off the line by Fontaine last week should count, even if it wasn't a save by the keper).

SaulGoodman
04-01-2015, 10:17 AM
As part of my job I record those details :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

JHanlon
04-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Hearts only had 3 corners yesterday to our 5-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30609216

Also, we have only had one shot on target against us in the last 2 games against the Yammish and Sevco (although to me, the shot cleared off the line by Fontaine last week should count, even if it wasn't a save by the keper).

I think there was a foul at the back post prior to the shot being taken, so play had already stopped.

overdrive
04-01-2015, 04:49 PM
I was on a course once which touched on performance measures and how organisations tend to measure the wrong things because they are easy to measure. The example used was corner kicks. The trainer said he was away on business and was on the BBC website looking at the updates for the Bristol Rovers game on that day. Bristol Rovers had 60% possession and had won 12 corners to the opposition's nil. "Great" he thought until he read they were getting beat 2-0!

Saying that, more corners will be useful when Forster is back!

Forza Fred
05-01-2015, 07:01 PM
I was on a course once which touched on performance measures and how organisations tend to measure the wrong things because they are easy to measure. The example used was corner kicks. The trainer said he was away on business and was on the BBC website looking at the updates for the Bristol Rovers game on that day. Bristol Rovers had 60% possession and had won 12 corners to the opposition's nil. "Great" he thought until he read they were getting beat 2-0!

Saying that, more corners will be useful when Forster is back!

Agreed.

The only stats that really matter in the end is the one regarding who has scored more goals at the end of the match.

portycabbage
05-01-2015, 07:10 PM
I think there was a foul at the back post prior to the shot being taken, so play had already stopped.

I'd forgotten about that, probably because it made the all the highlights packages but they hardly mentioned that it was a foul!