PDA

View Full Version : Oxley

Colr
03-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Is he staying or going back to Hull?

cloudy
03-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Is he staying or going back to Hull?

Noticed he never came over to the hibs support at the end, was straight down the tunnel, would of thought I'd he was finished he'd come over

Nameless
03-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Noticed he never came over to the hibs support at the end, was straight down the tunnel, would of thought I'd he was finished he'd come over

Or, maybe he was having to rush off to catch the train back to Hull........

SaulGoodman
03-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Or mibby we're more disappointed with the draw than the yams.

Forza Fred
03-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Thought he did well today.

Long time since I said that with confidence about a keeper in a derby

cocopops1875
03-01-2015, 10:00 PM
By all media reports he will be staying

SMAXXA
03-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Thought he did well today.

Long time since I said that with confidence about a keeper in a derby

Didn't think his positioning was too clever for their goal tbh

hibsbollah
03-01-2015, 10:26 PM
Didn't think his positioning was too clever for their goal tbh

Unsaveable shot. Yashin wouldn't have got near it.

snedzuk
03-01-2015, 11:00 PM

Thats a proper blast from the past!

hibsbollah
03-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Ive just been watching Ben Williams having a bit of a mare on MOTD.
Just saying.

steakbake
03-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Safest pair of hands we've had in a long time.

Pretty Boy
04-01-2015, 12:12 AM

Yep.

No keeper was getting near that, sometimes you just have to accept a guy has scored a very good goal against us.

givescotlandfreedom
04-01-2015, 12:58 AM
I don't think Oxley was at fault at all for the thieves' goal but I do wish he'd come out and claim a ball instead of flapping and half punching it.

silverhibee
04-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Yep.

No keeper was getting near that, sometimes you just have to accept a guy has scored a very good goal against us.

Don't no about that P B, good shot but he should have been cosed down bu our defenders.

Flanny boy
04-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Yep.

:agree:

lucky
04-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Scot Allan should have done better at their goal, once it was hit nothing Oxley could have done. As a keeper I cant remember him making many saves this season that you would not expect any keeper to make. I think he's average at best

bingo70
04-01-2015, 07:22 AM
Scot Allan should have done better at their goal, once it was hit nothing Oxley could have done. As a keeper I cant remember him making many saves this season that you would not expect any keeper to make. I think he's average at best

That's been my problem with him. I think he's pretty steady and relatively safe but he doesn't seem to make any saves.

Only thing I'd question about yesterday's goal would be his starting position. There was only one side of the goal walker was going to so I did think at the time he possibly got his angles a bit wrong. I've not seen it since though so I might be a bit harsh.

TonyStokeprano
04-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Surprised no ones mentioned it but it Scott Robertson doesn't turn his back on walkers shot like a little girl it would've hit him in the face or chest, a professional footballer should be standing upto it, especially in a derby.

GlesgaeHibby
04-01-2015, 08:41 AM

:agree: Agree, although if Hanlon hadn't sliced his clearance the chance would have been gone (that aside Hanlon was excellent today, incl. landing on Walker).

PiemanP
04-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Enjoyed him cleaning out Walker in the first half when he tried to charge him down. Their goal was right in the corner of the net, no chance he was saving it.

Happy for Oxley to stay until end of the season - we have other priority positions to look at in January.

J-C
04-01-2015, 01:00 PM
I don't think Oxley was at fault at all for the thieves' goal but I do wish he'd come out and claim a ball instead of flapping and half punching it.

To be fair the pressure put on keeper's nowadays is enormous, it's the norm to stick a couple of players in his face, they are then marked by 2 defenders so there's little room for manouvre in the box, you'll De Gea punching the ball regularly for Man U.

worcesterhibby
04-01-2015, 02:59 PM
I think Oxley is very steady, good at coming for crosses and good enough for us in this league..I can't remember him making many really good saves though. Happy for him to stay though.

PeterboroHibee
04-01-2015, 03:29 PM
I like Oxley. He doesnt really make any mistakes, is composed on the ball, and he seems to work well with the defence.

I dont understand the criticism of him that he doesnt make outstanding saves - from what Ive seen hes not really had to yet, which is testament to him and the defence (I think supported by the fact we have the second best defence in the league). Id much rather see a reasonably solid defence than one that is constantly conceding chances but with the goalie making wonder saves!

Stevie Reid
04-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Given some of the incredible amount of incompetence shown by many of our goalkeepers in the past, I'm constantly surprised at home many on here are quite disparaging about Oxley.

He is a safe pair of hands, and comfortable with the ball a his feet. His distribution is also good, which is vital given how we play.

Radge70
04-01-2015, 04:12 PM
100% correct, although there have been a lot that he should have (Raith Rovers a good recent example) and he doesn't instil any confidence. If we'd been in the SPL this season he'd have been found out a long time ago. Has had absolutely nothing to do this season and, although Hearts goal was down to our defence, his positioning still wasn't clever. Seems like a decent chap but I feel it's a position we need to fill with an experienced player and we can't afford the luxury of developing him throughout a season like this one. If we get to the play-off final this year then I can't see him handling the pressure. If we got to a shoot-out and he performs like he did against Dundee Utd then we'd be looking at another season in the Championship.

overdrive
04-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Not a huge fan of him and think we could get better. However, he is adequate for this division and I would rather we signed another striker ahead of another keeper.

Unseen work
04-01-2015, 04:48 PM
I disagree i have seen him make quite alot of good instinct and reflex saves.

I think his positioning is very good aswell as his size also makes his saves look more "average" End of the day a save is a save, theres not too many goals weve conceeded that i think he could of done better with.

He also comes and claims the ball from corners/ crosses quite a bit to take the pressure off the defence, like against rangers last week

Radge70
04-01-2015, 05:01 PM
I disagree i have seen him make quite alot of good instinct and reflex saves.

theres not too many goals weve conceeded that i think he could of done better with.

Looking at more recent examples (last two months only), I wouldn't say he's covered himself in glory with his performances against against Dumbarton (A), Alloa (A) and Raith (A) - I was sitting directly behind the goals for the Raith game and his failure to cover the angle was criminal. He looked a lot more commanding against Rangers but (in my opinion) a lot of that was down to the pressure being taken away after the first 10 minutes. He did also look more commanding against Hearts (not withstanding my earlier comment about his positioning not being brilliant for the goal). I guess we might get away with it if he continues to progress but it's a gamble to keep him as the corner stone of every successful team is the goalkeeper and we need to be successful this season. Cummings, El Alagui, Malonga and hopefully Boyle should see us okay in the striking department especially now that the midfield has begun to click.

Stevie Reid
04-01-2015, 05:06 PM
I am hypercritical of goalkeepers normally, but some of the things leveled against Oxley in this thread are pretty ridiculous.

Andy74
04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Oxley is a very good keeper. Don't really understand the debate about him.

Leithenhibby
04-01-2015, 05:21 PM

I agree.
The op was asking if he was staying, but I suppose nobody has the answer so just go off on one. .. :-)

AlbertK86
04-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Take it you weren't at the rangers game last week

He came and picked everything out the air in his box. At least 5 or 6 really good catches

Eyrie
04-01-2015, 06:21 PM

Any player that we can sign, whether in the top division or our current level, will have flaws and sadly there are those who would rather focus on what Oxley doesn't do so well than look at his whole game. Those are the same people who would complain if we signed De Gea that he's not as good as Neuer, and if we signed Neuer that he's not as good as De Gea.

I'm comfortable with Oxley as our keeper.

Stevie Reid
04-01-2015, 06:54 PM
You can see that the back three/four that play in front of Oxley have complete faith in him, and that is the most important thing by far.

ahibby
05-01-2015, 10:42 AM
I am with those who say that Oxley's positioning for their goal was wrong. A similar move was made by Yeovil against Man U yesterday and the Man U keeper moved to his left as the player running across the 18 yard line ran from right to left. MO didn't move his feet and that is why he didn't get within two to three feet of the ball. If his positioning was correct at the start of the players run then it was wrong when he shot because MO didn't move. He can't be right on both occasions and I believe from what I have seen his weakness is that he doesn't adjust his position well enough in situations like that. IMO if he did we probably wouldn't have him because I doubt he would only be third choice at Hull. I hope he recognizes that he showed too much of his left hand side of goal thus giving the lad that scored a huge target to hit. It was a sweet strike that moved in the air and I wouldn't have blamed Oxley for not saving it had his positioning been better but to not get within two or three feet of it, is poor.

brog
05-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I am hypercritical of goalkeepers normally, but some of the things leveled against Oxley in this thread are pretty ridiculous.

Hey, it could be worse! I'm amazed no one's criticised Danny H on this thread yet! :wink:
You're correct of course & to return to the original topic I assume, in the total absence of any contrary inf, that Oxley's staying. Still think we'll bring in another keeper though.

MacBean
05-01-2015, 03:40 PM
hope he stays, really rate him as a keeper. Would happily take him permanently, as he's only going to get better with age.

hibees 7062
05-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Goalkeeper Mark Oxley’s loan deal from Hull City is also due to expire this month but Stubbs doesn’t envisage any problems in agreeing an extension saying: “Our dialogue with Hull has been good, very positive and as far as we are aware, we don’t expect there to be any problems.”

oneone73
05-01-2015, 05:36 PM
I am with those who say that Oxley's positioning for their goal was wrong. A similar move was made by Yeovil against Man U yesterday and the Man U keeper moved to his left as the player running across the 18 yard line ran from right to left. MO didn't move his feet and that is why he didn't get within two to three feet of the ball. If his positioning was correct at the start of the players run then it was wrong when he shot because MO didn't move. He can't be right on both occasions and I believe from what I have seen his weakness is that he doesn't adjust his position well enough in situations like that. IMO if he did we probably wouldn't have him because I doubt he would only be third choice at Hull. I hope he recognizes that he showed too much of his left hand side of goal thus giving the lad that scored a huge target to hit. It was a sweet strike that moved in the air and I wouldn't have blamed Oxley for not saving it had his positioning been better but to not get within two or three feet of it, is poor.

Let's hope the goalkeeping coach will help him in this aspect of his game.

silverhibee
05-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Don't no about that P B, good shot but he should have been cosed down bu our defenders.

Near enough sober now, :greengrin, what was Robertson thinking about, he should have been coming out to close the yam player down rather than ducking out the way, if he wasn't going to come out and make the block then he should have stood tall and took wherever the ball hit him on his body rather than ducking down.

Swedish hibee
05-01-2015, 08:37 PM
I hope he stays :aok:

Radge70
10-01-2015, 03:55 PM
You should watch the highlights from today's game.

Heisenberg
10-01-2015, 03:56 PM
He was utter mince. Caused all sorts of problems for our defence today.

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 03:58 PM

I wouldn't say he's a very good. I'd say he's just average and in the summer I'd like a new keeper myself.

WestEndHibee
10-01-2015, 04:00 PM
You should watch the highlights from today's game.
Players have bad days. Unfortunately for goalkeepers a bad day will hurt the team more than in another position. For the majority of the season Oxley has been solid hence why we have extended his loan. We're not likely to find much better for the same cost.

leggeto
10-01-2015, 04:03 PM
He was utter mince. Caused all sorts of problems for our defence today.

I heard he saved us a point from the BBC commentator

truehibernian
10-01-2015, 04:03 PM
I'd be scrutinising the defending today way before Oxley - collective responsibility to defend set pieces and we failed to do that across the back. Decent keeper, can't see why he is being singled out.

Boyle missed a chance to make it 4-1...........just sayin' :cb

Heisenberg
10-01-2015, 04:04 PM
I heard he saved us a point from the BBC commentator

He made a couple of saves, he also created havoc for both Falkirk goals in the second half.

Hibbyradge
10-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Two great saves gave us a point.

hibee_girl
10-01-2015, 04:08 PM

3 hesitant decisions from him cost us 2 points

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Or messing up drops us 3 points!!!

Brooster
10-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Heart the size of a pea. Cost us 2 points today.

Hibbyradge
10-01-2015, 04:13 PM

I didn't think he was at fault for any of the goals.

NorthNorfolkHFC
10-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Where was our RB at the third?

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 04:15 PM

I honestly can't say I wasn't there. Only going from what the radio said and my nephew who's at the game. Apparently third was a shocker though so surprised to read you don't think he's at fault for any.

Heisenberg
10-01-2015, 04:18 PM
He started to come out for both of the Falkirk second half goals and then went back again. Completely ****ed us up.

PeeJay
10-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Hibs TV suggested the wind may have affected his judgement when coming for two of the balls that cost us goals ... difficult for me to say if that really was the case - he also pulled out two excellent saves to stop shots going in ...

Hibbyradge
10-01-2015, 04:20 PM
I honestly can't say I wasn't there. Only going from what the radio said and my nephew who's at the game. Apparently third was a shocker though so surprised to read you don't think he's at fault for any.

Was the third an own goal? It looped over Oxley who had no chance.

stantonhibby
10-01-2015, 04:20 PM

Your opinion counts for nought today seeing as it was too cold for you to attend.

Lmc2105
10-01-2015, 04:22 PM
IMO he was at fault for all three goals today. Cost us a valuable two points

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Your opinion counts for nought today seeing as it was too cold for you to attend.

I actually agree [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-01-2015, 04:23 PM
He will be disappointed with bits of his decision making, but he made some decent stops as well.

hibee_girl
10-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Totally agree, his usual indecisiveness cost us massively today.

leggeto
10-01-2015, 04:24 PM
He made a couple of saves, he also created havoc for both Falkirk goals in the second half.

He seems to play better when its action packed as I don't think his concentration is very good,he can pull off a good save though

Radge70
10-01-2015, 04:24 PM
He was even at fault for the disallowed goal. He's a keeper who has had nothing to do all season but has made several bad mistakes and looked shaky throughout

God Petrie
10-01-2015, 04:25 PM
An average keeper. I'd love Williams back tbh.

Hibbyradge
10-01-2015, 04:26 PM

The boy had a free header for the first goal after Booth ran the wrong way. I really don't think he could have done anything different.

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Was the third an own goal? It looped over Oxley who had no chance.

No idea, all I heard was the keeper should have done better with the third but stalled? Nephew said he looked suspect with the second. I'll wait till I see the highlights.

Either way we shouldn't be drawing after being 3-1 up at home. Oxley is just ok nothing great seen worse. Be happy to have a new keeper come the summer.

skipster7
10-01-2015, 04:27 PM
It would have been nice of he'd made an effort for the second goal, as for the 3rd, all over the place like the rest of the defence tbh

cabbageandribs1875
10-01-2015, 04:30 PM
peter houston certainly praised oxley in his interview, reckoned falkirk could have scored 6 or 7 goals today

Lmc2105
10-01-2015, 04:32 PM
The boy had a free header for the first goal after Booth ran the wrong way. I really don't think he could have done anything different.

I believe Oxley could have came of his line Baird isn't a big lad and would been crossing practise for Oxley but it's not the first time this season he refuses to try and come for the ball again IMO

lucky
10-01-2015, 04:32 PM
peter houston certainly praised oxley in his interview, reckoned falkirk could have scored 6 or 7 goals today

Houston is talking crap. Oxley earned Falkirk a point not Hibs. He was at fault for 2 goals. The saves he made were routine and every keeper would have saved them.

hibee_girl
10-01-2015, 04:33 PM
I believe Oxley could have came of his line Baird isn't a big lad and would been crossing practise for Oxley but it's not the first time this season he refuses to try and come for the ball again IMO

He does come for it but he stops halfway and then he's left in no mans land!

Lmc2105
10-01-2015, 04:36 PM

Yeah your right perfect example with the third goal.

tamig
10-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Heart the size of a pea. Cost us 2 points today.

Heart the size of a pea? What pish.

hibs0666
10-01-2015, 04:38 PM
No idea, all I heard was the keeper should have done better with the third but stalled? Nephew said he looked suspect with the second. I'll wait till I see the highlights.

Either way we shouldn't be drawing after being 3-1 up at home. Oxley is just ok nothing great seen worse. Be happy to have a new keeper come the summer.

Oxley saved us from defeat today.

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Houston is talking crap. Oxley earned Falkirk a point not Hibs. He was at fault for 2 goals. The saves he made were routine and every keeper would have saved them.

Exactly what I was told.

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Oxley saved us from defeat today.

So Falkirk were the better side?

hibs0666
10-01-2015, 04:40 PM

Better chances.

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Better chances.

Ah right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
10-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Hibs should have won the game very comfortablely. Should have scored double what we did

God Petrie
10-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Better chances.

What chances?

Heisenberg
10-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Better chances.

I'd say we had a couple of much easier chances than them. DjeDje free header from six yards out and Martin Boyle open goal. Fontaine also had a couple of free headers which he should've at least hit the target with in the second half.

hibs0666
10-01-2015, 04:44 PM
I'd say we had a couple of much easier chances than them. DjeDje free header from six yards out and Martin Boyle open goal. Fontaine also had a couple of free headers which he should've at least hit the target with in the second half.

But we didn't test the goalie with any of them. Oxley made big saves to salvage a point.

matty_f
10-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Hibs should have won the game very comfortablely. Should have scored double what we did

Definitely. Oxley and his defence were all over the place. Being kind, the conditions were awful. Falkirk's defence was the same, as was their keeper.

HappyAsHellas
10-01-2015, 04:45 PM
So let me get this right, we missed two absolute sitters, our defence was all over the place (according to official site) and yet it's Oxley to carry the can?

ManBearPig
10-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Both opinions are valid he was kind of at fault for two of the goals but also made two top class saves and one straight at him at last min. Bit of a mixed game but whole team was like that today. Mixed.

CB_NO3
10-01-2015, 04:47 PM
I blame Boyle for not scoring to make it 4-1. Terrible miss from a professional footballer, but Oxley was defo at fault too.

Stevie Reid
10-01-2015, 04:48 PM
I couldn't make the game today unfortunately, but were the conditions not treacherous for goalkeepers?

Even if he was at fault for goals today, I'm still happy with him overall this season.

madhatter
10-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Oxley, Booth and Allan had very poor games. Oxley's decision making isn't the problem I think, sometimes he comes and fully commits but he runs out very slowly and that leaves him in 'no-mans' land. Booth cannot defend, whole defence had shifted to other side of field and Falkirk crossed in to box and instead of covering the man behind Hanlon, he ran away leaving the guy with a free header (goal for nothing). Allan couldn't control the ball, couldn't hold the ball in or really pass it to a team-mate today.

Falkirk had 1-2 fair chances but we gifted them 3 goals for nothing. Boyle sadly missed open goal and as other members have said Fontaine should have hit target at least once, as well as free header near end for Dja Djedje.

madhatter
10-01-2015, 04:57 PM
I couldn't make the game today unfortunately, but were the conditions not treacherous for goalkeepers?

Even if he was at fault for goals today, I'm still happy with him overall this season.

It was quite treacherous but I think where the grievance is, is that he came for balls that he possibly shouldn't have on a good day never mind a day like today.

I think he is a good shot stopper but catching crosses...I'm always nervous any time a team crosses or gets a corner kick.

He is by no means the only player to place the blame on - defence was poor and midfield was patchy at best with an invisible Allan.

Stevie Reid
10-01-2015, 05:03 PM
It was quite treacherous but I think where the grievance is, is that he came for balls that he possibly shouldn't have on a good day never mind a day like today.

I think he is a good shot stopper but catching crosses...I'm always nervous any time a team crosses or gets a corner kick.

He is by no means the only player to place the blame on - defence was poor and midfield was patchy at best with an invisible Allan.

Cheers for info MH.

Stevie Reid
10-01-2015, 05:11 PM
BBC report states that Oxley looked suspect for all three goals but made two great saves afterwards.

marleyhib
10-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Can't see how he was at fault for the first, dodgy for other 2 from what I could see, sat on his line. Bad day at the office, though Hanlon was worse.

I think he's decent, don't wan't to be too critical.

hibs0666
10-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Can't see how he was at fault for the first, dodgy for other 2 from what I could see, sat on his line. Bad day at the office, though Hanlon was worse.

I think he's decent, don't wan't to be too critical.

For whatever reason we could not defend cross balls today.

Broken Gnome
10-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Was one of Oxley's great saves the last minute free kick?? If he'd let that in this place would be in uproar.

Even the other two he did save he only JUST managed to get round the post despite getting full hands to them. Probably harsh to moan about actual saves, but he seems to flap and flail at most things. Awkward and unorthodox.

marleyhib
10-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Agreed, very disappointing. If Boyle had made it 4-1, which he should have, it was game over.

Alfred E Newman
10-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Allan was poor today but his back heel nutmeg in the first half was as good a piece of skill as you will see all season.

lucky
10-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Their 1st goal was a simliar ball in to Cummings goal last week. He was not at fault for that goal but the other two were his fault.

Brooster
10-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Heart the size of a pea? What pish.

Shat himself at the first 2 goals, rooted to his line because he doesn't have the balls to mix it. At the 3rd he was on his knees in no mans land. He is a bottler who cost us today.

Brooster
10-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Their 1st goal was a simliar ball in to Cummings goal last week. He was not at fault for that goal but the other two were his fault.

Seriously? That ball today had snow on it, last weeks was on the deck. Oxley shat it, it was a goalies ball all the way against a 5 feet 6 striker.

ehf
10-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Agreed, very disappointing. If Boyle had made it 4-1, which he should have, it was game over.

There was also the one a few minutes later when Allan took the ball off Boyle's foot when he about to slot home.

Heisenberg
10-01-2015, 06:52 PM
He's not normally that bad at coming out for the ball but today was woeful. You could see the fans reaction getting to him near the end of the game as he started to come for everything which resulted in a whole lot more flapping. Needs to be better next week.

ehf
10-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Seriously? That ball today had snow on it, last weeks was on the deck. Oxley shat it, it was a goalies ball all the way against a 5 feet 6 striker.

Totally disagree with that; it was a great cross and a great header. Oxley could have done nothing about it. The fault lay with the central defenders for leaving Baird with all that space.

MSK
10-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Seriously? That ball today had snow on it, last weeks was on the deck. Oxley shat it, it was a goalies ball all the way against a 5 feet 6 striker.Aye ...a 5 foot 6 striker who could probably have had time to roll a cig & light it before he planted it past Oxley due to our defenders standing scratching their holes ..

hiberactive
10-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Oxley is not a good goalkeeper,in six months I've seen him make 3 or 4 good saves,today he was poor but Paul Hanlon was awful,all over the place and as the game wore on Fontaine got worse.we would have won easily if Boyle scores,he's rounded the goalie,he could have taken another couple of touches and still had time to score,shocking miss.Team today reminded me of some of Mogga,s teams,poor goalie,poor defence but good going forward.I felt we should have scored a couple before our opening goal.

Bishop Hibee
10-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Aye ...a 5 foot 6 striker who could probably have had time to roll a cig & light it before he planted it past Oxley due to our defenders standing scratching their holes ..

Yup. Booth confirmed what we knew already that he can't defend.

madhatter
10-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Aye ...a 5 foot 6 striker who could probably have had time to roll a cig & light it before he planted it past Oxley due to our defenders standing scratching their holes ..

Defence to blame most for 1st. Very poor from Booth and Hanlon. Defence still to blame for other 2 but Oxley had bad day at office.

emerald green
10-01-2015, 07:29 PM

Yeah your right perfect example with the third goal.

:agree: That's what happened. Cost us two points at the end of the day.

But to be fair Hibs defending, as a team, was very poor today. They looked very shaky at the back. Obviously missed Gray, but the defence should not go to pieces just because one player is missing. It was like back to the bad old days, which I had hoped had been sorted out.

Brooster
10-01-2015, 07:35 PM
:agree: That's what happened. Cost us two points at the end of the day.

But to be fair Hibs defending, as a team, was very poor today. They looked very shaky at the back. Obviously missed Gray, but the defence should not go to pieces just because one player is missing. It was like back to the bad old days, which I had hoped had been sorted out.

It's quite shambolic really when you consider every one of the back four are left footed.

tamig
10-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Shat himself at the first 2 goals, rooted to his line because he doesn't have the balls to mix it. At the 3rd he was on his knees in no mans land. He is a bottler who cost us today.

Shat himself at the first? How do you make that out? Our right back was posted missing at the first and third. Oxley should have done better at the second and third goals but don't see the relevance to the heart of a pea comment. Pish as I said earlier.

Danderhall Hibs
10-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Just saw the goals again on SSN, I don't think he was to blame for the 1st. For the 2nd a bit but the defence should do better. Probably to blame for the 3rd though.

truehibernian
10-01-2015, 07:46 PM
It's quite shambolic really when you consider every one of the back four are left footed.

Posted the same earlier today Brooster - but let's give AS some slack, Boothy did well at Tynie and for me deserved his chance today. The back four have been reasonably solid, only one change (CB) was made.

I don't think Handling should have been dropped. Thought that if you are making changes to a side who are on a really decent run, why drop a player who is fit and been part of it - Dylan is just coming back from injury.

I'm looking for more from Paul Hanlon and Fontaine when set pieces are delivered, and indeed Oxley. But as a unit they looked scared a wee bit today which was strange.

I'm genuinely not too disheartened though because it's good that fans and no doubt the players are fuming at dropping points - last season I'd say many didn't give a flying one, including some of the management.

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 07:50 PM
People who say he's a good shot stopper is insulting a keeper. That is a keepers basic thing to be. It's cross balls, positioning for one on ones covering the near post and setting up the wall for close range free kicks that really show a keepers worth.

Oxley has let a few near post goals in this season but he's also had a few good catches and commanded his box. So for me there's still huge room for improvement and if there is better out there then I'd go for it. If not Comb needs to work hard on him and hope he takes it on board. I

Brooster
10-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Shat himself at the first? How do you make that out? Our right back was posted missing at the first and third. Oxley should have done better at the second and third goals but don't see the relevance to the heart of a pea comment. Pish as I said earlier.

So your happy he was rooted to the spot when a high ball was coming his way? Every corner every set piece he hopes that someone else attacks it because he does not have the bottle to attack it himself.

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Ok just seen the goals, could have done better with the second but not entirely his fault. The third I can't believe you don't think he's at fault.

emerald green
10-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Ok just seen the goals, could have done better with the second but not entirely his fault. The third I can't believe you don't think he's at fault.

:agree: Me neither. I've not seen it on TV but he looked badly at fault to me for the third goal.

Brooster
10-01-2015, 07:56 PM
People who say he's a good shot stopper is insulting a keeper. That is a keepers basic thing to be. It's cross balls, positioning for one on ones covering the near post and setting up the wall for close range free kicks that really show a keepers worth.

Oxley has let a few near post goals in this season but he's also had a few good catches and commanded his box. So for me there's still huge room for improvement and if there is better out there then I'd go for it. If not Comb needs to work hard on him and hope he takes it on board. I

Correct. His attempt at narrowing the angle for the Raith goal before Christmas was amateurish at best.

B.H.F.C
10-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Posted the same earlier today Brooster - but let's give AS some slack, Boothy did well at Tynie and for me deserved his chance today. The back four have been reasonably solid, only one change (CB) was made.

I don't think Handling should have been dropped. Thought that if you are making changes to a side who are on a really decent run, why drop a player who is fit and been part of it - Dylan is just coming back from injury.

I'm looking for more from Paul Hanlon and Fontaine when set pieces are delivered, and indeed Oxley. But as a unit they looked scared a wee bit today which was strange.

I'm genuinely not too disheartened though because it's good that fans and no doubt the players are fuming at dropping points - last season I'd say many didn't give a flying one, including some of the management.

I didn't think Handling not being their made any difference. We scored 3 goals so we were fine with the ball. I reckon Stubbs was just desperate to get Dylan back in the side and I think the other 3 in midfield have been better than Handling of late. That 90 minutes will benefit McGeough. I don't think Handling playing would have changed the course of the game.

Agree about Hanlon, Fontaine and Oxley. It wasn't as if Falkirk cut us open, it was just 3 simple balls in to the box.

truehibernian
10-01-2015, 08:04 PM
I didn't think Handling not being their made any difference. We scored 3 goals so we were fine with the ball. I reckon Stubbs was just desperate to get Dylan back in the side and I think the other 3 in midfield have been better than Handling of late. That 90 minutes will benefit McGeough. I don't think Handling playing would have changed the course of the game.

Agree about Hanlon, Fontaine and Oxley. It wasn't as if Falkirk cut us open, it was just 3 simple balls in to the box.

Don't get me wrong mate, really rate DM.......however it's a bit of a kick in the stanes for Danny given he has been a mainstay in a side that was on a wee roll......it's of course all hindsight and yep, you're bang on, we scored 3.

But I still think you limit the changes to a minimum when on a run like we were/are on. And Danny did nowt wrong last few games. DM would have been great to come on (either way).

Brooster
10-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Don't get me wrong mate, really rate DM.......however it's a bit of a kick in the stanes for Danny given he has been a mainstay in a side that was on a wee roll......it's of course all hindsight and yep, you're bang on, we scored 3.

But I still think you limit the changes to a minimum when on a run like we were/are on. And Danny did nowt wrong last few games. DM would have been great to come on (either way).

A straight swap with McGeogh coming in for Handling might have just been understandable but why did Stubbs move Scott Allan from a position where he has been sticking out a mile in recent weeks?

truehibernian
10-01-2015, 08:14 PM
A straight swap with McGeogh coming in for Handling might have just been understandable but why did Stubbs move Scott Allan from a position where he has been sticking out a mile in recent weeks?

Yep, again, one of the things I couldn't fathom - the only changes for me were Booth and the striker position. The rest 'stays the same' - then you have/had the luxury of McGeouch coming on all guns blazing and champing at the bit.

Looking back Brooster, if Boyle scores at 3-1 the game is over and we relax.......sadly that gives/gave the opposition a wee bit hope.....and they took it.

JimBHibees
10-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Totally disagree with that; it was a great cross and a great header. Oxley could have done nothing about it. The fault lay with the central defenders for leaving Baird with all that space.

Agree no way he could have come for first cross fault was both Hanlon and Booth (who IMO is a liability defensively) were caught out. Hugely poor defending which set the tone.

JimBHibees
10-01-2015, 08:26 PM

I am not sure Allan's position was much of an issue as he wandered about however his passing wasn't as good as normal in saying that personally wouldn't have subbed him.

JimBHibees
10-01-2015, 08:33 PM

Agree Handling IMO hasn't exactly been playing out of his skin and was again ineffectual when he came on today. McGeouch is quite simply a far better player.

Brightside
10-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Agree Handling IMO hasn't exactly been playing out of his skin and was again ineffectual when he came on today. McGeouch is quite simply a far better player.

Handling defends better and closes down better. We lost our way in the 2nd half massively. Allan did nothing defensively.

JimBHibees
10-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Handling defends better and closes down better. We lost our way in the 2nd half massively. Allan did nothing defensively.

Than Dylan ? Don't see that one to be honest. Allan was poor today however in relation to his recent excellent form. To me Danny flatters to deceive a bit and often gives the ball away.

Islington Hibs
11-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Live Ox seemed to be at fault for 2nd and 3rd goals. Having just watched the highlights on BBC I am not so sure. 2nd seemed to me to be defensive error and third 50/50 defense and arguably OX should have come for it. On reflection I am not so sure OX real was to blame.

HH81
11-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Oxley not to blame for the games from sky sports news?

People in front of him.

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Although not directly to blame maybe his indecision caused the defence problems?

MSK
11-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Although not directly to blame maybe his indecision caused the defence problems?And perhaps the hibs defensive indecision caused Oxley problems ...against the rangers & hearts our defence looked pretty much a confident & solid unit ...yest against Falkirk they were all over the place. they looked sluggish & when Falkirk attacked the hibs defence turned into panic mode, marking was abysmal & at times the players looked they had just met each other for the fist time...Oxley had his faults yest but so did a number of his colleagues in front of him ..:agree:

ManBearPig
11-01-2015, 08:43 AM

Hahaha just about choked on my coffee but very accurate

gaz1875
11-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Having watched the highlights again Oxley had no chance with any of the goals. First goal where was Callum Booth going? Second goal a deflection off Hanlon after a Craig attempted clearance. Third again where was the right back or whoever was supposed to be in that area?

Maybe having 4 left sided players imbalanced the defence far too much, you could also see time and again the midfield looking to pick out the runs Gray would be making but no one was as far forward. Still in the first half some of the football was a joy to watch going forward!!

:flag:

MB62
11-01-2015, 09:48 AM
I am not sure Allan's position was much of an issue as he wandered about however his passing wasn't as good as normal in saying that personally wouldn't have subbed him.

He picked up a knock in a tackle about 10 mins prior to him going off and I assumed he was struggling, hence his substitution.

Borderhibbie76
11-01-2015, 11:50 AM

Agreed Dylan is a much better option that Handling and Danny incidentally done to square root of nowt when he came on. ..he is far too anonymous in too many games for my liking...

Brooster
11-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Having watched the highlights again Oxley had no chance with any of the goals. First goal where was Callum Booth going? Second goal a deflection off Hanlon afterdoesn't it causes uncertainty iig attempted clearance. Third again where was the right back or whoever was supposed to be in that area.
:

Of course he's not going to have a chance if he is rooted to the spot every time the ball comes near him. The defence would thrive on a goalie who commanded his area but because Oxley doesnt it causes uncertainty. In recent weeks he had let a trundler in at Alloa, lost a goal at Raith because he didn't/couldn't get his angles right and yesterday at every cross ball he shirked responsibility and was rooted to the spot. I dont think he has the bottle or technique for it.

gaz1875
11-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Of course he's not going to have a chance if he is rooted to the spot every time the ball comes near him. The defence would thrive on a goalie who commanded his area but because Oxley doesnt it causes uncertainty. In recent weeks he had let a trundler in at Alloa, lost a goal at Raith because he didn't/couldn't get his angles right and yesterday at every cross ball he shirked responsibility and was rooted to the spot. I dont think he has the bottle or technique for it.

I agree he is a poor shot stopper, but what crosses should he have came for in the 3 goals yesterday? all 3 came from crosses that should have been defended by defenders, you can't expect your keeper to stand on the 18 yard line for corners or free kicks.

whiskas
11-01-2015, 01:52 PM
I've had a good look at the goals in the highlights and my verdict is: First goal: Great delivery into the "area of uncertainty", forward gets between a gap between Hanlon and Booth the size of a bus and has a free header at goal- NOT Oxley's fault Second goal: Weird own-goal from a corner however Oxley was coming for the corner but stops- I think if he he'd kept on coming for it he'd have got something on it and got it to safety. Oxley and defence equally to blame Third goal: Again Oxley starts to come but quickly checks and is in a reasonable position for the attempt at goal- not really Oxley's fault although you could argue by starting to come for it he's putting indecision in the minds of his defence. Also having not came for the cross there's an argument that he could have been out quicker to narrow the angle for the striker who scores but that's possibly being overly harsh and if he had done that and the striker squared it no doubt someone would be slagging him for over-committing. My personal opinion looking at the goals is our defence was missing an organising influence in Gray. Also with Fontaine being our only 6ft+ defender there's an obvious lack of height there and Falkirk have taken advantage of that. We also continue to be poor at clearing our lines and picking up opposition players in the box. In saying that McDonald had a complete mare at 2 of our goals, wish he'd played like that against us when he was with Hearts!

AlbertK86
11-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Live Ox seemed to be at fault for 2nd and 3rd goals. Having just watched the highlights on BBC I am not so sure. 2nd seemed to me to be defensive error and third 50/50 defense and arguably OX should have come for it. On reflection I am not so sure OX real was to blame.

Spot on

rcarter1
11-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Agree. Was of the same opinion at the match, but now its seems clear that as a defensive unit we were a shambles. Frustrating, as this has been the case most of the season and may not easily be fixed.

Shrekko
11-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Unusual to see so many excuses for Oxley and I'm pretty surprised at what high esteem he seems to be held in by a good percentage of the fans- maybe because of his goal?

I've no faith in the guy whatsoever- indecisive at crosses and makes simple saves look incredibly difficult. He's let in a few howlers as well and never actually won us points. On the plus side his distribution is very good I have to say.

AlbertK86
11-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Unusual to see so many excuses for Oxley and I'm pretty surprised at what high esteem he seems to be held in by a good percentage of the fans- maybe because of his goal? I've no faith in the guy whatsoever- indecisive at crosses and makes simple saves look incredibly difficult. He's let in a few howlers as well and never actually won us points. On the plus side his distribution is very good I have to say.

Behave he won us a point with 2 fantastic saves yesterday .... Defence were at fault for us being pegged back not him

Shrekko
11-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Behave he won us a point with 2 fantastic saves yesterday .... Defence were at fault for us being pegged back not him
Oxley won us a point yesterday?! Let's agree to differ.

AlbertK86
11-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Oxley won us a point yesterday?! Let's agree to differ.

Were you at the game and have you watched the highlights

2 fantastic saves one in the last minute... Qualifies as winning us a point if you ask me

ancient hibee
11-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Oxley and the centre halves combined to have their worst games of the season.Obviously the wind didn't help as the Falkirk unit weren't too clever either.I felt at the first goal that Oxley should have seen that the wee-est striker in the league was going to get a free header and should have come charging out even though he wouldn't get the ball as a way of putting him off-sometimes being unothodox is all you can do.

JimBHibees
11-01-2015, 05:33 PM

Well harsh he was very good v rangers when he came and took 3 or 4 corners. Played ok in derby also.