PDA

View Full Version : Malonga

lucky
03-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Malonga has done well so this season with his goals but in recent weeks his goal threat has receded. I was one of many on here who complained about his work rate. There is no doubt his work rate has improved but the fact is that the more he chases back the less effective he is as a centre forward. I would like him to play further up the park and make himself the focal point of the attack.

truehibernian
03-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Big Dom was excellent today, both halves - system played meant at times he had to come deep or draw wide - thought he was arguably man of the match with his hold up and keep ball play.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Malonga has done well so this season with his goals but in recent weeks his goal threat has receded. I was one of many on here who complained about his work rate. There is no doubt his work rate has improved but the fact is that the more he chases back the less effective he is as a centre forward. I would like him to play further up the park and make himself the focal point of the attack.

I agree, but he does score goals running from deep positions

Stuarty27
03-01-2015, 07:10 PM
One minute he looks like a premiership player, next minute he is like a south division junior player...

truehibernian
03-01-2015, 07:12 PM
One minute he looks like a premiership player, next minute he is like a south division junior player...

Second half today he looked the former for me - good player at feet, shame at times we didn't have a player covering that 6 yard box when he'd drifted out to collect.

lucky
03-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Second half today he looked the former for me - good player at feet, shame at times we didn't have a player covering that 6 yard box when he'd drifted out to collect.

That's the point I'm making it appears we have sacrificed his goals for work rate

The_Exile
03-01-2015, 07:16 PM
He was my MOTM today, the ball basically is stuck to his feet, rarely gives possession away, can beat his marker at ease, and draws players towards him creating space for the midfield runners. You can tell the midfield players are confident in giving him the ball as it's probably the most utilised out ball they use. The Hearts defence did pretty well in snuffing out his usual drifting in and out of space he does when Stubbs plays him in the hole behind the striker to link the midfield, so it appeared he had a quiet game but he was involved in most moves going forward. I doubt his remit is to be an out and out goalscorer.

jane_says
03-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Have to say I thought he was brilliant today, his first touch is a joy at times. Allan always looks for him, which to me is telling.

Golden Bear
03-01-2015, 10:40 PM
I think its fair to say that the big man believes in the concept of economy of effort.

Shrekko
03-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Fantastic player at this level-what a find.

No offence to wee Jason, but Malonga's the guy with the touch of an angel. I don't remember people slating Steve Archibald for not harrying like a headless chicken and is that what we want Malonga expending his energy on? I'd say no- he can stick to scoring goals and his sublime link up play.

I really wonder what would make some fans happy with a player.

Forza Fred
03-01-2015, 10:47 PM

Opinions, opinions.

First good look I had at him was against Rangers where I thought he was superb.

Can't agree with the adulation regarding the Hearts game, I made the comment that he just didn't seem suited to the hurly burly of a derby.

Much prefer him as a goal threat than as a link man.

He'll look good in the middle against lower division teams where had gets the time, but methinks will cause fans frustration at a higher level as he will frequently be caught either in possession or waiting to receive the ball,

Opinion, as I say, based on here haw...:greengrin