PDA

View Full Version : When all is said and done.......

Pedantic_Hibee
03-01-2015, 04:01 PM
We are a far better football team than them.

The months of planning they had ahead of us has got them where they are. Levein and co. were there from March onwards. Alan Stubbs had about 4-6 weeks.

The fact they made two subs at the death tells you a story. The fact they had two blips at the back before ten minutes had been played tells you as well. They feared us and they feared us big style.

Great time to be a Hibby. Credit to Dempster, Stubbs and co.

Lee Marvin
03-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Couldn't agree more. All things considered (the last 8 yrs) I'm a very happy hibbee today.

easty
03-01-2015, 04:04 PM
When all is said and done, they're still unbeaten. They're average and we could have done more today but didn't.

Thecat23
03-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Hearts went into the season miles and I mean miles ahead of us in terms of fitness and preparation. Because we stalled on sacking Butcher it meant the first 10 games were a write off really.

Stubbs said himself we were about 8 months behind fitness wise. We only have ourselves to blame for the position we are in but we can now do something about it by winning nearly all the games left. Which by the way we should be doing no more excuses.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2015, 04:09 PM
We'll go up in the play offs.

Disappointed not to beat them today as we had them on the ropes but didn't strike the finishing blow. Cummings missed chance just after he scored was massive.

Hearts fans seem angry they played for a draw and very unhappy with their performance but I think the truth is in games against each other there isn't much between the teams. Results this season in derbies prove that. What we need to do is find the consistency against the other teams that they seem to have. It's a big few weeks coming up as we need to adjust to losing Malonga whilst making sure we secure that play off place.

Shrekko
03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
I don't think we even need to compare ourselves to them at this point. They've done well, landed on their feet as per usual but Hibs for the first time in 7/8 are actually progressing in the right direction- that's all that matters. We're pretty close to having a team we can be proud of.

bingo70
03-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I think we're a better team than them. If we both go up I think we'll finish above then by a mile. They'd struggle in the premiership imo.

All that said I think whether we go up or not depends on what happens with the rangers, no way can we expect them to stay do bad all season.

03-01-2015, 04:25 PM
They were quite scared of us today going into this one. They set up to hack Allan out the game and towards the end they were just tryna close the game out and play for a draw. Thought we played some good stuff today and had a few good chances to win it at the end.

sh00byd00
03-01-2015, 04:25 PM
We struggled to break down defensive teams at the beginning of the season and still do to a certain extent and when we have faced both Rangers and Hearts we don't really need to break them down and that suits our players better. I genuinely think we'd be doing better in the SPL (or whatever it's now called) because we wouldn't be attempting to break teams down on a near weekly basis.

ekhibee
03-01-2015, 04:30 PM
They were quite scared of us today going into this one. They set up to hack Allan out the game and towards the end they were just tryna close the game out and play for a draw. Thought we played some good stuff today and had a few good chances to win it at the end.
That's just what I thought too. At times they did look scared, and we had too much pace for them IMO. We did play some good stuff today but a mistake cost us dearly.

brog
03-01-2015, 04:40 PM
I agree with OP & am happy to stress the positives. Firstly, Yams no longer have a 100% home record! perhaps the first crack in the asbestos ridden facade! Secondly we're responsible for 67% of Yams dropped points & yes I know it should have been even better. Thirdly we went into the holiday period with games against newco & Yams. We came out with 4 points & plus 4 goals, I would have bitten your hand off for that result in advance. Finally, we only play Yams 1 more time unless we get them in the cup of course, oh wait! :wink:. Every other team has to play Yams twice, if Yams win it helps us, if they lose we're happy anyway, happy days!

jacomo
03-01-2015, 04:48 PM

Agree that LD and AS are doing well in rebuilding the club and team, but great time to be a Hibby? Hmm - in the 2nd tier, and looking more and more likely we'll need to win at least 2 play off ties to get back to where we want to be.

Meanwhile, uncertain times off the pitch with our owner taking a step back (albeit on generous terms).

Welcome signs of improvement, but great times still to come.

Jim44
03-01-2015, 04:54 PM
I think we're a better team than them. If we both go up I think we'll finish above then by a mile. They'd struggle in the premiership imo.

All that said I think whether we go up or not depends on what happens with the rangers, no way can we expect them to stay do bad all season.

If The Rangers sort out their boardroom problems quickly in the next week or so, you can assume that they might be in a position to strengthen their squad. If they do, I don't see us pipping them at the post. If they carry on as they are, we are in with a shout in the playoffs.

Steve20
03-01-2015, 05:14 PM
We were by far the better side today but they're 19 points ahead of us. Let's be serious here.

Turkish Green
03-01-2015, 05:26 PM
2 Pts dropped today.

PeeJay
03-01-2015, 05:31 PM

The months of planning they had ahead of us has got them where they are. Levein and co. were there from March onwards. Alan Stubbs had about 4-6 weeks.

The fact they made two subs at the death tells you a story. The fact they had two blips at the back before ten minutes had been played tells you as well. They feared us and they feared us big style.

I fail to see how you can believe any part of this post - it is so far removed from reality, you have to be joking right?

Springbank
03-01-2015, 05:34 PM
2015 will be a big letdown for hearts unless they improve. One of the worst passing teams I've seen (how many times did they pass or run it out of play?)

Only last gasp goal line clearances saved them today

That won't happen every week

I'm getting ready for the wheels coming off the Jambo bus and looking forward to Hibs clawing back the gap

jonty
03-01-2015, 05:38 PM
2 Pts dropped today.

indeed, which tells you how far we've come in such a short period.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2015, 05:40 PM
I fail to see how you can believe any part of this post - it is so far removed from reality, you have to be joking right?

What parts are massively wrong?

We looked at least as good as them in the last 2 derbies.

Levein was approached long before last seasons end as was Neilson, they have been planning for Championship football for a year. Stubbs did only have 6 weeks max.

They did set up today for a draw which suggests they feared we could beat them.

Only bit I would contend is that it's a great time to be a Hibby. It's been a tough few years but I think we are on the right track to good times again. It's a slow road but one worth sticking on.

I despair at people who seem determined to see the negative in everything at the moment. We have a great set up in place. A passionate CEO, a knowledgable and enthusiastic DOF, a great backroom team and a young, modern, forward thinking head coach. We are going in the right direction, it's not a quick fix but it's worth sticking with. People really need to start getting on board with it and supporting the club again.

PeeJay
03-01-2015, 06:16 PM

Levein was approached long before last seasons end as was Neilson, they have been planning for Championship football for a year. Stubbs did only have 6 weeks max.

Only bit I would contend is that it's a great time to be a Hibby. It's been a tough few years but I think we are on the right track to good times again. It's a slow road but one worth sticking on.

I despair at people who seem determined to see the negative in everything at the moment. We have a great set up in place. A passionate CEO, a knowledgable and enthusiastic DOF, a great backroom team and a young, modern, forward thinking head coach. We are going in the right direction, it's not a quick fix but it's worth sticking with. People really need to start getting on board with it and supporting the club again.

All of it, thought I made myself perfectly clear ... nothing in your post makes any of it any easier to believe. To me it's just us making one excuse after another, it's embarrassing ....

Pretty Boy
03-01-2015, 06:23 PM
All of it, thought I made myself perfectly clear ... nothing in your post makes any of it any easier to believe. To me it's just us making one excuse after another, it's embarrassing ....

So you don't believe Levein and Neilson were in place and planning long before it was official? And that was massively beneficial?

An excuse it maye be but it's a valid one. I'm disappointed about how we started this season, I've made that clear on numerous ocassions, but I can understand why it happened. I'm also not blind to the obvious progress we are making either. Stubbs (and the players) have done a very decent job in a short period of time.

Mikey09
03-01-2015, 06:34 PM
So you don't believe Levein and Neilson were in place and planning long before it was official? And that was massively beneficial?

An excuse it maye be but it's a valid one. I'm disappointed about how we started this season, I've made that clear on numerous ocassions, but I can understand why it happened. I'm also not blind to the obvious progress we are making either. Stubbs (and the players) have done a very decent job in a short period of time.

Dinnae bite PB. It's the Hibs.net way. Someone starts a positive thread and before you know it the usual suspects are along in double quick time with there rain clouds and voices of doom... They really are a joy to behold.... Keep up the pessimism lads!! At least then nothing in life will disappoint you!!! :rolleyes:

SaulGoodman
03-01-2015, 06:41 PM

I don't understand how some folk are quick to talk Hearts up at every opportunity but when it comes to saying something good about us it seems to be said through gritted teeth.

matty_f
03-01-2015, 06:46 PM
I don't understand how some folk are quick to talk Hearts up at every opportunity but when it comes to saying something good about us it seems to be said through gritted teeth.

It does my ****ing head in. :agree:

Turkish Green
03-01-2015, 06:49 PM
indeed, which tells you how far we've come in such a short period.

yes it does but considering the other results today we regressed. However we are looking good to progress through the play-offs.

SneakersO'Toole
03-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Improvement? Yes, absolutely. But lets not get carried away. We won't win the league and therefore will require a mammoth effort to get promoted this season.

Better in derbies? Again, yes without doubt.

But we still haven't beat them this season despite being the better team across the 3 games and therefore we really need to work on being more lethal against these cants. They have been there fore the taking in the last 2 games and we haven't won either. If the roles were reversed i don't think it would be the same outcome for the jambo hoards unfortunately.

Pete
03-01-2015, 07:11 PM

There's one or two people making posts that are removed from reality and the OP isn't one of them.

Edit: I'll put a smiley in as I don't want to come across as all passive aggressive.

:greengrin

Greenblood70
03-01-2015, 07:25 PM
They were terrified of losing for most of that match, they know we are a far better footballing side, where we still fall down is the mental side imo. We should have put them to the sword today and while I was delighted with how we played in the main , I left that *****hole yet again with a feeling that we'd let them off the hook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
03-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Greenblood

You have hit the nail on the head.

Been like that for too long. Mental side is very fragile.

Oh for a Jimmy O'Rourke, Willie Hamilton, Ally Mcleod..............

Seveno
03-01-2015, 08:05 PM

I agree 100%. I am really positive about our long term future. I would rather be a Hibby than a Jambo in the crumbling asbestos ridden heap.

03-01-2015, 08:10 PM
They were terrified of losing for most of that match, they know we are a far better footballing side, where we still fall down is the mental side imo. We should have put them to the sword today and while I was delighted with how we played in the main , I left that *****hole yet again with a feeling that we'd let them off the hook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Pedantic_Hibee
03-01-2015, 08:12 PM

........................................no.

stoneyburn hibs
03-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Hibs have come on leaps and bounds under the new management, certainly and easily more attractive football to watch than what we seen from the last three managers. A good case in point is the other thread about Lewis Stevenson, when was the last time we have seen our full backs get into positions to cross so often ? We are definitely a team on the up.

truehibernian
03-01-2015, 08:31 PM
I'll wager that if the challenge in the box had been at an ER game, Steven McLean would have given the pen - for me he's the best ref in Scotland but today he had a stinker !

Albion Hibs
03-01-2015, 08:36 PM
I agree completely with the OP. I am usual a complete supporter of the board, I may be in a minority on that, but the biggest failing this season has been the boards ability to respond quickly to the situation we are in. For me if we had prepared better there is no reason at all we would not be leading the table just now. That is poor management.

I do however appreciate that are probably loads of factors, i.e management and player availability, but to me it is gutting that we do not have a chance to be competing for this league...and that comes down to the lack of pace getting everything in place for this season.

OsloHibs
03-01-2015, 09:18 PM

:clapper:

Blaster
03-01-2015, 10:04 PM

Are you for real??? Some folk, like you, need a reality check

NAE NOOKIE
03-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Good OP in my opinion. Its true we could have had them twice this season and have blow it to an extent, but its also clear that they certainly are not better than us.

We need fear nobody in a play off if we keep this up.

Onion
03-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Yams are really efficient and look tough to beat.

But, Stubbs has put together a first 11 that can play attractive football, with a few exciting players in that lot. And he did that with precious little time in the summer. Things definitely looking brighter at ER and only hope he can continue the good work.

Sir David Gray
03-01-2015, 10:50 PM
I didn't see today's game but whilst I'm frustrated at our inability to win derbies that we have the upper hand in, I am extremely encouraged at how Stubbs has us playing and I'm confident that we can go up through the play offs.

We need to strengthen this month and I'm sure we will. We are now six points behind Sevco which is disappointing but more importantly we're level again with Queen of the South and only three points above Falkirk.

It's important that we don't take our eye off the ball and keep going to try and catch Sevco.

NOLA
03-01-2015, 10:57 PM
When all is said and done we have won 10 of the last 46 derbys, not good enough however much we have improved.

SaulGoodman
03-01-2015, 11:08 PM
When all is said and done we have won 10 of the last 46 derbys, not good enough however much we have improved.

Try looking forward and not back.

Borderhibbie76
03-01-2015, 11:26 PM
I didn't see today's game but whilst I'm frustrated at our inability to win derbies that we have the upper hand in, I am extremely encouraged at how Stubbs has us playing and I'm confident that we can go up through the play offs.

We need to strengthen this month and I'm sure we will. We are now six points behind Sevco which is disappointing but more importantly we're level again with Queen of the South and only three points above Falkirk.

It's important that we don't take our eye off the ball and keep going to try and catch Sevco.

However we are the only side to have now played Hearts 3 times...its the fixtures against the other we need to win to pull away

Sir David Gray
04-01-2015, 12:04 AM
However we are the only side to have now played Hearts 3 times...its the fixtures against the other we need to win to pull away

It's a big game next week at home to Falkirk.

Our record is played two, lost two against them so far and as I said in my last post we are only three points above them just now.

If we beat them, we can put some real distance between the pair of us but lose that game and we'll be joint fifth, if Queen of the South get anything from their game against Raith Rovers.

We have three out of the next four league games at home, before we then go to Ibrox next month. We need a minimum of ten points from those matches to stay in the race for second place.