PDA

View Full Version : The ref

SouthMoroccoStu
03-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Was decent in the first half.....

Typical yam/SFA puppet in the 2nd

Hearts midfield got away with murder

Both prince and gomis could have been off for persistent fouling

We easily could have had a penalty - zero attempt to get the ball and a clear shoulder barge

And their penalty claims were laughable at best - both drop and jump up screaming

Steven McLean, grow a pair!!

But first time in ages there won't be a retrospective red for the ****

HoboHarry
03-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Was decent in the first half.....

Typical yam/SFA puppet in the 2nd

Hearts midfield got away with murder

Both prince and gomis could have been off for persistent fouling

We easily could have had a penalty - zero attempt to get the ball and a clear shoulder barge

And their penalty claims were laughable at best - both drop and jump up screaming

Steven McLean, grow a pair!!

But first time in ages there won't be a retrospective red for the ****

He could also have sent off JC. It would be reasonable to give a balanced view....

davhibby
03-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Thought he handled Buaben and Gomis terribly, if he books them after their third or fourth foul they would have had to stop. Instead he waited deep into the second half before doing so, yet decided to book Craig for his first foul? Awful way to referee a derby

The Tubs
03-01-2015, 02:29 PM
I thought he was alright.

The big one for me was gomis, he should have been booked for persistent fouling after about 30 minutes. I thought he was going to run out of fingers when he counted them up before the booking.

SouthMoroccoStu
03-01-2015, 02:29 PM
He could also have sent off JC. It would be reasonable to give a balanced view....

For the kicking away of the ball?!

Steady on

Back heal action - luck if it went 5 yards

Don't believe the hype

SouthMoroccoStu
03-01-2015, 02:32 PM
I thought he was alright.

The big one for me was gomis, he should have been booked for persistent fouling after about 30 minutes. I thought he was going to run out of fingers when he counted them up before the booking.

You said in yourself - a big one

Failed to take action and let them away with it

Saw him 3/4 times count out persistent fouls without action

That gives players like gomis a green light

neil7908
03-01-2015, 02:33 PM
I thought the ref was ok to be honest, a lot of persistent fouling by Hearts but no particularly terrible tackles.

I felt Craig was a little hard done by getting his yellow as to me it was a 50/50 and he didn't slide in a dangerous or uncontrolled way but other than that most of the calls were correct. It was actually nice to see a derby with some passing (albeit mostly from us) and no non-football related stuff to get the headlines.

lucky
03-01-2015, 02:35 PM
I thought he was fine, handling falling was never a pen. He could have booked Gomis and Prince earlier but apart from that there nothing much more he could or should have done

Pretty Boy
03-01-2015, 02:36 PM
How Gomis lasted to the 90th minute before being booked is beyond me. He had 7 fouls in the 2nd half alone before the booking.

Not seen the penalty shout yet but was screaming for it at the game.

He was ok compared to some but that's not saying much.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 02:42 PM
I thought he was poor for both teams, and missed 5 or 6 easy decisions. He also gave some very soft fouls that we never fouls and could have doubled his tally for bookings that would have resulted in sending offs.

Don't understand some of the opinions on here, he was poor today and did not referee properly to the rules. Surely folk want consistency?

Flanny boy
How Gomis lasted to the 90th minute before being booked is beyond me. He had 7 fouls in the 2nd half alone before the booking.

Not seen the penalty shout yet but was screaming for it at the game.

He was ok compared to some but that's not saying much.
:agree:

whiskas
I thought the ref was ok to be honest, a lot of persistent fouling by Hearts but no particularly terrible tackles.

I felt Craig was a little hard done by getting his yellow as to me it was a 50/50 and he didn't slide in a dangerous or uncontrolled way but other than that most of the calls were correct. It was actually nice to see a derby with some passing (albeit mostly from us) and no non-football related stuff to get the headlines.

I'd agree with that, apart from the Craig booking and not booking Gomis sooner he did a pretty good job and tried to nip any nonsense from either team in the bud.
The bookings for the scorers were a bit officious but at least he was consistent.

Eyrie
03-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Key thing for me was that he was consistent, even-handed and was trying to let play continue after "robust" challenges.

I was annoyed when Cummings got booked for doing what Skacel used to do regularly, but he then booked Walker for similarly celebrating in front of the opposing fans, which was fair enough.

I agree though that he was slow to book both Yam midfielders.

Never a penalty for me.

neil7908
03-01-2015, 02:47 PM
I thought he was poor for both teams, and missed 5 or 6 easy decisions. He also gave some very soft fouls that we never fouls and could have doubled his tally for bookings that would have resulted in sending offs.

Don't understand some of the opinions on here, he was poor today and did not referee properly to the rules. Surely folk want consistency?

Genuinely curious to know where you think the extra bookings would have come from. I'm really struggling to recall any bad tackles in the game that we not picked up. Yes a couple of the Hearts boys could have been booked earlier but I honestly cant think of any big decisions he got wrong.

It's such a tough job being a ref especially in games like this. He got all the big calls right today which is critical.

southern hibby
03-01-2015, 02:49 PM
I thought he booked Gomis twice, obviously the first booking was for another player as ( surely ) he would have given red for a second yellow.

Question now is who did he book when I thought it was Gomis the first time?

GGTTH

steakbake
03-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Genuinely curious to know where you think the extra bookings would have come from. I'm really struggling to recall any bad tackles in the game that we not picked up. Yes a couple of the Hearts boys could have been booked earlier but I honestly cant think of any big decisions he got wrong.

It's such a tough job being a ref especially in games like this. He got all the big calls right today which is critical.

Agree with this.

Thought he did well enough.

ACLeith
03-01-2015, 02:51 PM
I thought he booked Gomis twice, obviously the first booking was for another player as ( surely ) he would have given red for a second yellow.

Question now is who did he book when I thought it was Gomis the first time?

GGTTH
Buaben ?

Velma Dinkley
03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Booking Craig for a fair 50/50 which he won meant Craig had to be cautious with challenges for majority of the game. Compare to gomis, finally booked in last minute of injury time after constant fouls throughout the match. That's far from consistent.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 02:55 PM

Both goalscorers should have been sent off by the letter of the law, theirs for the foul on Gray just after his booking and ours for kicking the ball away.

How many fouls was Gomes allowed before his booking, 8-9-10, yet Craig has what 2? He can get all the big decisions right and still have a poor game by not applying the rules correctly.

And as for some of the free kicks he gave, i found them laughable for both teams.

Most folk are screaming out for it every week, maybe you dont want consistency?

leggeto
03-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Thought he was no bad,could have dealt with bauban and gomis better,booking both players after scoring was a bit harsh but no big howlers made so won't be remembered

HoboHarry
03-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Both goalscorers should have been sent off by the letter of the law, theirs for the foul on Gray just after his booking and ours for kicking the ball away.

How many fouls was Gomes allowed before his booking, 8-9-10, yet Craig has what 2? He can get all the big decisions right and still have a poor game by not applying the rules correctly.

And as for some of the free kicks he gave, i found them laughable for both teams.

Most folk are screaming out for it every week, maybe you dont want consistency?

This is an impossible ask in real time sports - I would love to hear your solution?

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 08:28 PM
[/B]

This is an impossible ask in real time sports - I would love to hear your solution?

Either its a booking if you kick the ball away or its not? If this was one of their players we'd be shouting about conspiracy's and the like, he bottled that decision and the one where Gray was fouled was another booking all day long, but the bottler ref bottled it again because it would have meant sending the player off?

Both easy decisions for even the basic of referee's

stoneyburn hibs
03-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Only complaint about the ref today was his failure to book Gomis long before he did for persistent fouling.

HoboHarry
03-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Either its a booking if you kick the ball away or its not? If this was one of their players we'd be shouting about conspiracy's and the like, he bottled that decision and the one where Gray was fouled was another booking all day long, but the bottler ref bottled it again because it would have meant sending the player off?

Both easy decisions for even the basic of referee's
Aye right ok then. As usual you didn't answer the question.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Aye right ok then. As usual you didn't answer the question.

FFS if its impossible to make these decisions in real time sports, whats the point in having ref's? Is kicking the ball away a hard decision, or is it not an automatic booking now?

SMAXXA
03-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Agree how the hell their midfield world beaters got away with persistent fouling was beyond me. He also seemed to take exception to Liam Craig constantly pointing out the fouls, did make me smile watching it you could see Craig say theirs another one, there's another one and he was spot on :greengrin

HoboHarry
03-01-2015, 08:41 PM
FFS if its impossible to make these decisions in real time sports, whats the point in having ref's? Is kicking the ball away a hard decision, or is it not an automatic booking now?
I said that its impossible to be completely consistent in real time sports in every game that's ever played. Any play/decision is open to interpretation and also from the angle from which it is seen. There also an element of common sense being applied in good referees - I for one would hate to see players sent off in every single match and there's nothing wrong with referees trying, when they can, keeping their cards in their pockets.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Agree how the hell their midfield world beaters got away with persistent fouling was beyond me. He also seemed to take exception to Liam Craig constantly pointing out the fouls, did make me smile watching it you could see Craig say theirs another one, there's another one and he was spot on :greengrin

Ach they were in real time, hows a referee going to spot them in that situation? When he counted all 10 fingers and half his toes when booking whatshisface in the 90th minute, it seems he must have seen some of the fouls.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 08:49 PM
I said that its impossible to be completely consistent in real time sports in every game that's ever played. Any play/decision is open to interpretation and also from the angle from which it is seen. There also an element of common sense being applied in good referees - I for one would hate to see players sent off in every single match and there's nothing wrong with referees trying, when they can, keeping their cards in their pockets.

Oh he kept his cards in his pocket, especially when ignoring the blatant bookings that would have seen both goalscorers off. He will get his cards marked by the beaks for that.

I for one also hate to see players booked one week for something the don't the next, which is why i brought the consistency question up.

Ref bottled both decisions.

truehibernian
03-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Personally loved when he hand counted Gomis' fouls - all of them each could have been a yellow !

wookie70
03-01-2015, 09:40 PM
The ref might have got a few decisions technically wrong but he was decent for a Derby game and far better than the usual fair in this league. He never had a huge bearing on the game and these days that is all I would ask for.

Boyle89
03-01-2015, 10:08 PM
He was terrible. But for both teams. Should've sent off both Cummings and walker as both were on yellows. I still think we should've had a penalty. Maybe handling wasn't going to reach the ball but he never had a chance getting taken out. When he finally booked gomis he went on to his second had Ffs! That was about 8 fouls. That being said we got soft calls aswell like Robertson falling over at the edge of the box when under pressure. Poor performance from the man in the middle today. At least it wasn't so poor as to cost us the game as is the norm in these games.

Mikey09
03-01-2015, 10:37 PM
If anyone thinks Scott Allan wouldn't have enjoyed even more of the ball without the threat of getting a whack and controlled the game if Gomis had been booked a hell of a lot earlier then they are deluded...McLean FAILED big time to book him early so giving Gomis free reign to carry out Potter and Nielsons instructions.....

Kato
03-01-2015, 10:50 PM
If anyone thinks Scott Allan wouldn't have enjoyed even more of the ball without the threat of getting a whack and controlled the game if Gomis had been booked a hell of a lot earlier then they are deluded...McLean FAILED big time to book him early so giving Gomis free reign to carry out Potter and Nielsons instructions.....

Bang on. Players like Allen should be protected to an extent. Hacked at all day and the ref left it too late.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Bang on. Players like Allen should be protected to an extent. Hacked at all day and the ref left it too late.

I disagree, no players should be protected anymore than any other. What a ref should do though, is not let players away with the type of fouls he was getting away with right through to the 90th minute. He should have been in the book in the first half, and the booking he did get would have been a 2nd yellow.

He was poor today, poor for both teams.

Hermit Crab
03-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Thought the challenge on booth in the 2nd half was more of a penalty. The ref was ok but could have got the cards out quicker for the yam midfielders.

Mikey09
03-01-2015, 11:07 PM
I disagree, no players should be protected anymore than any other. What a ref should do though, is not let players away with the type of fouls he was getting away with right through to the 90th minute. He should have been in the book in the first half, and the booking he did get would have been a 2nd yellow.

He was poor today, poor for both teams.

Agree to an extent. I've been involved in games where the manager has told us to take it in turns to smash a certain player.... This usually being there playmaker. I'm not saying the yams resorted to this but I certainly think a ref as highly rated as McLean should see patterns developing with certain players and take appropriate action..... Not wait till the 90th min when, let's be honest, it doesn't really matter.

Glory Lurker
03-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Agree to an extent. I've been involved in games where the manager has told us to take it in turns to smash a certain player.... This usually being there playmaker. I'm not saying the yams resorted to this but I certainly think a ref as highly rated as McLean should see patterns developing with certain players and take appropriate action..... Not wait till the 90th min when, let's be honest, it doesn't really matter.

Your manager told you to cheat?

southsider
04-01-2015, 08:32 AM
Personally loved when he hand counted Gomis' fouls - all of them each could have been a yellow !
Must have been about a dozen snipers shooting their players amount of times they fell over in the box.

ColintonHibs
04-01-2015, 08:41 AM
For the kicking away of the ball?!

Steady on

Back heal action - luck if it went 5 yards

Don't believe the hype

Still needs to learn to just leave it he was on a booking and he knows the rules

ColintonHibs
04-01-2015, 08:43 AM

Are you surprised?

Nomeancity
04-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Ref was fine. Maybe a bit picky with some of the fouls, both teams had players who were going down a bit too easy.

i agree with the bookings for the celebrations, yes in a perfect world you should be able to do that but I've been sitting next to numpties when opposition players have done that to us and they have went mental. I think it might have been a skacel one when the guy behind me was trying to climb over me to get 6 inches closer to shout at him. Calm down man

matty_f
04-01-2015, 09:35 AM
The ref should have booked their midfield two well before he did. They were able to foul with impunity throughout the match whereas if they had an early booking we would have been able to play more like we did against The Rangers.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Tell me you are not that naive to think this does not go on at nearly EVERY level of football?

brog
04-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Tell me you are not that naive to think this does not go on at nearly EVERY level of football?

Exactly! I once went to a football dinner where John McGrath, a beast of a CH was the speaker. He said Joe Harvey's instructions to him on his debut for Newcastle were, " to go out & see how fast the centre forward can limp"! Classic! On a more serious note Gomis committed his 1st foul yesterday in the 9th minute. It could easily have been a booking as it was cynical & designed to prevent Allan breaking into space. He was booked 81 minutes, & what seemed like 81 fouls later! Very poor.

Glory Lurker
04-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Nah, I was just being self-righteous, but did not express that very well (apols to Mikey09) :greengrin. I just hate cheating, and it depresses me that we do employ it as part of the game. It's the same with diving.

Pray4Marc
04-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Gomis should have been sent off. His job was to hack Allan and foul him at every opportunity. How he wasn't booked till 90th minute, has to be the most baffling refereeing performance I have ever seen.

woody47
04-01-2015, 02:15 PM
If the ref had done his job properly, the yams would have had those thugs in the middle booked long before he finally gave them yellow. How many fouls did he allow them to make on Allan? They went out of their way to take him out at every opportunity and there should have been at a yellow as early as the 7th minute for a cynical foul by bauban. They got away with absolute murder and it was so obvious what these thugs were about from the start that I cant see how the ref AND his assistants couldn't see this.
The two in the middle might have some football skill but they are there purely to kick decent players off the park and they seem to be immune from punishment until its too late in the game to make any difference.

Deansy
04-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Twice I seen them commit a foul and on both occasions I saw the ref giving Craig a talking-to ?. Gomis was also given a 'Licence-to-foul'by yet another poor referee - about the only 'consistency' in our game is a never-ending stream of extremely poor and biased referees !

Mikey09
04-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Nah, I was just being self-righteous, but did not express that very well (apols to Mikey09) :greengrin. I just hate cheating, and it depresses me that we do employ it as part of the game. It's the same with diving.

Nae apology needed. I hate cheating as well. Does my head in. Problem is when you're playing and being selected each week if you don't carry out the managers instructions you can/will find yourself out the squad very quickly. I used to be told by one manager to clatter the keeper as early as possible. As you played against these boys over the years you got to know the ones who would crap it, so to speak, and it would put them off coming for crosses and break there concentration. Others would just get on with there game and bide there time to clatter you back!! :greengrin
Happens at most levels of the game. And before anyone says.... No it wasn't to seriously injure a player, but to try and get in there head....

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Nae apology needed. I hate cheating as well. Does my head in. Problem is when you're playing and being selected each week if you don't carry out the managers instructions you can/will find yourself out the squad very quickly. I used to be told by one manager to clatter the keeper as early as possible. As you played against these boys over the years you got to know the ones who would crap it, so to speak, and it would put them off coming for crosses and break there concentration. Others would just get on with there game and bide there time to clatter you back!! :greengrin
Happens at most levels of the game. And before anyone says.... No it wasn't to seriously injure a player, but to try and get in there head....

:agree: And it happens at every level.

inglisavhibs
04-01-2015, 03:33 PM
I thought he was fine, handling falling was never a pen. He could have booked Gomis and Prince earlier but apart from that there nothing much more he could or should have done

Ref was fine for me, yes he made a few mistakes but we all do. Got the big calls right and used a lot of common sense in a derby.

HappyAsHellas
04-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Consistency was very poor once again - Craig booked for a 50 50 which the ref initially gave to Hibs then changed his mind as the yam boy played dead. How many fouls had Gomis and Bauben committed by then? They were given free reign to foul in the middle of the park at will, and if you think that's fair refereeing, then I disagree entirely.

FromTheCapital
05-01-2015, 11:30 PM
He was mediocre. Handled the occasion okay. Kept players under control. Buaben/Gomis should've walked considering they committed about 7 poor tackles on Scott Allan each. Think we should've had a penalty for the clear push in the back from Pallardo on Handling as he clearly makes no attempt to win the ball and is clearly not a 'coming together' like that erse Mikey Stewart described it as. Bottled it in that situation the ref did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyrie
06-01-2015, 07:28 PM
He was mediocre. Handled the occasion okay. Kept players under control. Buaben/Gomis should've walked considering they committed about 7 poor tackles on Scott Allan each. Think we should've had a penalty for the clear push in the back from Pallardo on Handling as he clearly makes no attempt to win the ball and is clearly not a 'coming together' like that erse Mikey Stewart described it as. Bottled it in that situation the ref did.

Would you have said it was a penalty had the incident been in our box?

Me neither.

FromTheCapital
06-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Would you have said it was a penalty had the incident been in our box?

Me neither.

Of course I would've, cause I thought it was a silly tackle from Pallardo and I thought it was a penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk