PDA

View Full Version : Updated Assessment of Hibs' Current Status

Keith_M
03-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Most of us are, understandably, dissapointed to have not won at Tynecastle today so I thought I'd post something positive.

The first positive is that we just played a team away from home that's currently 19 points ahead of us, yet most of us are dissapointed not to have won the match. They, on the other hand, will be celebrating it like they had just won the game.

My second (and main) point is that I no longer feel like I did earlier in the season, whereby I fully expected to take at least two years to get promoted. OK, I have accepted that winning the league is beyond us but with the team that we have, and especially after the last 3-4 games, I fully expect us to finish second and have no fear of anybody in the play-offs.

This is already a Premier League quality team and can only get better.

Onwards and Upwards

:flag:

Ozyhibby
03-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Need a striker

green day
03-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Need a striker

Just signed Boyle on loan. Once Dom and Farid are fit, they will scoosh this league

Ozyhibby
03-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Just signed Boyle on loan. Once Dom and Farid are fit, they will scoosh this league

Boyds record at Dundee is not great and the other two are not available in Jan. We must keep winning to get 2nd.

SaulGoodman
03-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Boyds record at Dundee is not great and the other two are not available in Jan. We must keep winning to get 2nd.

Boyles record at Dundee is irrelevant. He gets a fair chance.

Done well when he came on today

Onceinawhile
03-01-2015, 02:23 PM

But his record in the lower leagues is very good.

we need a back up right back imo especially if gray is going to keep struggling.

Brightside
03-01-2015, 02:26 PM
If Gray is out for the next few weeks id expect the young lad in the u20s to step up. Martin? No point playing Booth or Lewis in that role from the start of a game.

neil7908
03-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I was concerned about Stubbs earlier in the season but the team has grown massively in the last couple of months and I'm now confident he's the right man. However, now that 1st place is off the cards we need to focus on getting into 2nd place and crucially, we MUST go up this season.

From the little I have seen of the SPL and the bits I have seen of the other teams in our league we should be able to beat the Rangers/Qos/Ross County/St Mirren over 2 legs. Definite signs of improvement but for me I will be hugely disappointed if we are still in this division come August.

BIGK
03-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Loved his front post runs when he came on. No one else up front makes these runs, could get himself a few goals I hope.

bigwheel
03-01-2015, 02:48 PM
If Gray is out for the next few weeks id expect the young lad in the u20s to step up. Martin? No point playing Booth or Lewis in that role from the start of a game.

No chance...And Why?? Booth will start and deservedly so...

Keith_M
03-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Wow. it didn't take long for this thread to take a negative turn

:greengrin

Oh and I agree about needing a striker but, for once, I actually have confidence that we'll get somebody in quite early during the Window.

emerald green
03-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Hibs are now playing for second place in this league. Assuming the Ibrox club win today, we will then be 6 points behind them.

To catch them and overtake them, Hibs will probably need to go on a winning run of 7/8 games (no draws) starting with Falkirk next week.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Hibs are now playing for second place in this league. Assuming the Ibrox club win today, we will then be 6 points behind them.

To catch them and overtake them, Hibs will probably need to go on a winning run of 7/8 games (no draws) starting with Falkirk next week.

4 of the next 6 are at ER

oconnors_strip
03-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Martin is a midfielder, our under 20s right back is aaron dunsmore

emerald green
03-01-2015, 03:01 PM
4 of the next 6 are at ER

That's good. Every game is crucial now, and Hibs need to get 3 points in every game (or at least most games) leading up to when they play at Ibrox around middle of February. That's the big one IMO.

It's difficult to judge how events happening off the pitch at the Ibrox club will impact on their performances on the pitch. It could go either way I suppose.

Brightside
03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Martin is a midfielder, our under 20s right back is aaron dunsmore

Thanks - soon see if he get called up. I don't think Booth had a poor game but its does make us lopsided. All 4 defenders left footed.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks - soon see if he get called up. I don't think Booth had a poor game but its does make us lopsided. All 4 defenders left footed.

It does, but Booth deserves a wee run at right back while Gray is out

Pretty Boy
03-01-2015, 03:23 PM

I actually thought Booth put in a couple of good crosses with his right. You could see his firat thought was always to try and cut inside though.

lucky
03-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Booth did ok and should come into the team but Gray is a big miss. He's been our player of the season so far

Mibbes Aye
03-01-2015, 04:53 PM
I actually thought Booth put in a couple of good crosses with his right. You could see his firat thought was always to try and cut inside though.

Lewis played a few crosses from his right foot, deliberate cutting back on to it make the space. While we didn't get much joy from him today, it's clear that he's upped his game under Stubbs and will look and deliver a ball in, on either foot.

As for Booth, my initial thoughts were we were bound to lose something with him replacing Gray, a sort of converse from McGeouch coming on for Handling where we saw a gain. Booth put in a good show though and credit to him for it.

I think it's an obvious affirmation of Lewis's qualities that Stubbs puts Booth in at RB rather than shifting Lewis over. We know fine well that Lewis can play there if he has to, but we get much more from him on the left. No one would expect Gray to do what he does if played at LB. When Forster is available along with Gray we will have balance and a clear back-up to play the same way. Question will then be whether Booth can offer the options that Lewis does on the left.

Colr
03-01-2015, 04:56 PM

How long 'til El Al is due back?

KingFranck
03-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Both Lewis and Callum are left backs Dunsmore or Martin should be promoted from the under 20s

Billy Whizz
03-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Both Lewis and Callum are left backs Dunsmore or Martin should be promoted from the under 20s

Martin is a holding midfielder

matty_f
03-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Two predictions from me based on current form and the steady improvements we have seen in this Hibs side so far.

One : we will be promoted and I think we will go up having finished second in the league.

Two : we will accumulate more points than hearts in the second half of the season, though unfortunately not enough to catch them (or even get close to catching them to be fair.)

portyhibernian
03-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Agree with OP I think catching Hearts is probably beyond us now, however Rangers are woeful and I do think we'll finish second. I think I heard the commentator say we're the highest scoring team away from home in this league - if we can start winning consistently at home I'd imagine we'll comfortably be in second place come August.

Ronniekirk
03-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Agree with OP I think catching Hearts is probably beyond us now, however Rangers are woeful and I do think we'll finish second. I think I heard the commentator say we're the highest scoring team away from home in this league - if we can start winning consistently at home I'd imagine we'll comfortably be in second place come August.
Think our next game is against Falkirk who are pushing for top four spot Lets see how we do in that one without Malonga and possibly Gray .There is no doubt we are a better team now than when Stubbs first walked through the door , but still one game at a time for me and we need Sevco to get beat in a few of there next few games games including against Hearts and then by us going to Ibrox and winning .Who we bring in ,and how they fit in could be key for later in season .

jacomo
03-01-2015, 06:59 PM
That's good. Every game is crucial now, and Hibs need to get 3 points in every game (or at least most games) leading up to when they play at Ibrox around middle of February. That's the big one IMO.

It's difficult to judge how events happening off the pitch at the Ibrox club will impact on their performances on the pitch. It could go either way I suppose.

Probably being covered elsewhere, but sounds like all out War to Win Control at Ibrox. Dave King and allies will make life difficult for Ashley.

Fun times.

Turkish Green
03-01-2015, 10:30 PM
That is the difference between the performance from the team at the beginning of the season and now. Some positions need strengthening, but wether AS does this in January or waits till the summer, I am impressed with the teams progress.

Still should have won today though.

Greenblood70
04-01-2015, 10:26 AM
We're on the right lines, Stubbs and his coaching staff are starting to see the fruits of their labours in instilling the belief in the players to play to their capabilities. Very few have failed to improve over the season.

A few more shrewd signings in this window could really kick us on to grab second place. I'm enjoying watching us again for the first time in years, there is an affinity between the supporters and the players/club again too which can only be good all round. Hope to see us continuing to improve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spike220
04-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Most of us are, understandably, dissapointed to have not won at Tynecastle today so I thought I'd post something positive.

The first positive is that we just played a team away from home that's currently 19 points ahead of us, yet most of us are dissapointed not to have won the match. They, on the other hand, will be celebrating it like they had just won the game.

My second (and main) point is that I no longer feel like I did earlier in the season, whereby I fully expected to take at least two years to get promoted. OK, I have accepted that winning the league is beyond us but with the team that we have, and especially after the last 3-4 games, I fully expect us to finish second and have no fear of anybody in the play-offs.

This is already a Premier League quality team and can only get better.

Onwards and Upwards

:flag:

Good Post

southsider
04-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Good Post
It has taken AS a wee bit of time to get the team playing his way. Scott A is the best player in this league and we must build the team around him. A successful share issue will give a fine young head coach ammo to really move us upward. Keep the faith boys and girls. GGTTH

jacomo
04-01-2015, 02:47 PM
That is the difference between the performance from the team at the beginning of the season and now. Some positions need strengthening, but wether AS does this in January or waits till the summer, I am impressed with the teams progress.

Still should have won today though.

You talk as if there's nothing to play for this season.

It looks more and more likely that we will be in the play offs now, and most likely is home/away against Der Hun and if we win that a play off against a top tier team.

We HAVE to strengthen now. Summer is a world away.

Andy74
04-01-2015, 03:12 PM
You talk as if there's nothing to play for this season.

It looks more and more likely that we will be in the play offs now, and most likely is home/away against Der Hun and if we win that a play off against a top tier team.

We HAVE to strengthen now. Summer is a world away.

The current lot have beaten them 7-1 over the last two league games. It would be nice to strengthen the depth a bit but it's not an emergency.

lord bunberry
04-01-2015, 03:36 PM
I worry about not having Malonga, our record seems better when he plays. Our worst results this season have been when he was suspended or away on international duty