PDA

View Full Version : Callum Booth

Jdawg
03-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Thought he played very well when he came on, happy to go on his right foot, composed and a few good balls into the box. When in possession always happy to attack and go on the front foot.

Definitely worth keeping.

SaulGoodman
03-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Was unlucky not to score, better going forward than defending though imo

Forza Fred
03-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Much prefer to judge him on the left, but did ok when thrown on.

Dinkydoo
03-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Defensively, he had a couple of dodgy moments where his marker won a header early on but after that he seemed to be okay. He seemed calm whilst on the ball, rarely gave it away and was a threat up the Hearts end of the pitch.

I'm much less worried at him being Gray's replacement for a few weeks now.

crash
03-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Surely would have been a better option on the left?

hibsbollah
03-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Opinions eh? I thought he was indecisive going forward, got lucky with a couple of decisions and was shaky at the back. David Gray is a tough guy to replace and I doubt Booth is capable of it, even temporarily.

The Tubs
03-01-2015, 02:07 PM
I was going to say something similar.

Obviously an effort has been made to get him used to being at right back, positioning, when to use the left foot, etc.

Barry having decent management, eh?

SteveHFC
03-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Booth was outstanding in the 2nd half.

The Tubs
03-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Opinions eh? I thought he was indecisive going forward, got lucky with a couple of decisions and was shaky at the back. David Gray is a tough guy to replace and I doubt Booth is capable of it, even temporarily.

Obviously he's going to look a bit shaky; a lot less, however, than he did at ibrox.

easty
03-01-2015, 02:10 PM
He's not a suitable replacement for Gray.

Jdawg
03-01-2015, 02:10 PM
For a left footer at RB, he was just as happy to go outside.

Jdawg
03-01-2015, 02:12 PM
I was going to say something similar.

Obviously an effort has been made to get him used to being at right back, positioning, when to use the left foot, etc.

Barry having decent management, eh? agreed and about time we had someone who actually knows the game.

Page 1, press hearts high and they are poor.

Del Boy
03-01-2015, 02:13 PM
He was alright, still think he should be much better than he is given his early potential.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 02:14 PM
I thought he did well going forward, maybe even better than Gray had done? Its defensively that shows him up at times, especially losing his man. I'd say if we dont bring in another right back Booth would be reasonable cover for a few weeks, but as usual we'd all like better.

Boyle89
03-01-2015, 02:19 PM
As most have said good going forward but suspect at the back. Lost his first header at the corner and his man got behind him a couple times which could've been a disaster but thankfully it wasn't. Not bad but we need better. Maybe play him instead of stevenson and see if he is better? Stevenson had a good handful of opportunities to put in crosses today and didn't impress me.

Bishop Hibee
03-01-2015, 02:27 PM
I thought he did well going forward, maybe even better than Gray had done? Its defensively that shows him up at times, especially losing his man. I'd say if we dont bring in another right back Booth would be reasonable cover for a few weeks, but as usual we'd all like better.

Agree. Given Hertz are the toughest team we'll face we should be looking to strengthen up front as a priority.

BIGK
03-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Liked what I saw from Booth in the second half. Looked like the coaching team have been preparing him for right back as he looked more than comfortable to be in that position.
Could get absolutely roasted there next week but for 45 mins was impressed. was worried when I saw him coming on at half time but did a good job.

Iain G
03-01-2015, 02:37 PM
An entire back four of left footers again!

Eyrie
03-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Not a fan but I thought he did well going forward, offering us more there than if he'd been on the left and Stevenson had swapped over. That's important given that we need our FBs to provide width.

Booth did look suspect defensively so hopefully Forster will be fit enough to play RB whilst Gray is out.

dp00
03-01-2015, 02:47 PM
I thought we lost a lot of drive when Gray went off , but booth done ok

ian cruise
03-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Booth did well in a scrappy half. Gray is a hard act to follow but he's young and not played a whole lot of first team football, alongside the fact he's a left footer playing on the fight. His pass that Boyle almost got away was with his right and none too shabby

Stuarty27
03-01-2015, 02:56 PM
He should be playing left back in this formation, the full backs offer width going forward in the diamond formation and for me he is better than Stevenson at going forward.

How many times did Stevenson get into good positions to put in a cross and either overhit or put it into the goalies hands.

macd123
03-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Did well but jordon forster will probably step in surely?

Brightside
03-01-2015, 03:24 PM
He did ok... the only issue is he is a leftie...because of this when he does make runs down the wing its easier to defend against as the ball is always nearer the defender. a right footer finds it easier to defend the ball. He's a good lad to have on the bench.

Brightside
03-01-2015, 03:25 PM

Jordon not even in full training yet i think. Appendix takes at least two weeks before mild exercise - 4 weeks to full exercise.

HH81
03-01-2015, 03:26 PM
I have said he should leave in this window but he did well today. Much better than i thought he would at half time so well done.

ahibby
03-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Hearts exploited space in our right corner when Booth played there, that space wasn't there in the first half. They attacked his side more than Lewis's side which is probably to be expected giving that he is less experienced and is on his weaker foot, however I wonder if they spotted a positional weakness too.

tamig
03-01-2015, 03:30 PM
He did ok... the only issue is he is a leftie...because of this when he does make runs down the wing its easier to defend against as the ball is always nearer the defender. a right footer finds it easier to defend the ball. He's a good lad to have on the bench.

He actually put a few decent balls in with his right foot today. With the run of games we have coming up I'd be quite happy with Booth deputising at right back.

tamig
03-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Hearts exploited space in our right corner when Booth played there, that space wasn't there in the first half. They attacked his side more than Lewis's side which is probably to be expected giving that he is less experienced and is on his weaker foot, however I wonder if they spotted a positional weakness too.

Eckersley had acres of space on our right throughout the game. Don't think Booth's introduction changed that.

ahibby
03-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Eckersley had acres of space on our right throughout the game. Don't think Booth's introduction changed that.

It definitely did I clearly recall them dropping the ball in to the right quadrant just outside our box on at least two occasions in a way that wasn't available to them in the first half. I thought it might have been because Booth didn't give us enough width at the back. They got behind us on those occasions without needing to take players on. Wasn't the case in the first half and neither on our other flank. Watch the game from the 70th minute if you've recorded it and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2015, 03:39 PM
It definitely did I clearly recall them dropping the ball in to the right quadrant just outside our box on at least two occasions in a way that wasn't available to them in the first half. I thought it might have been because Booth didn't give us enough width at the back. They got behind us on those occasions without needing to take players on. Wasn't the case in the first half and neither on our other flank. Watch the game from the 70th minute if you've recorded it and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

I agree. :agree:

Fergos
03-01-2015, 03:41 PM

Their goal originated from too much space in front of Gray, our right side

Allan45
03-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Booth done well today, well done lad...

scoopyboy
03-01-2015, 04:43 PM

Scoopyboy understands that is the plan.

DG booked in for operation on the 12th.

3pm
03-01-2015, 04:48 PM

How long will he be out?!

Mibbes Aye
03-01-2015, 05:09 PM
He should be playing left back in this formation, the full backs offer width going forward in the diamond formation and for me he is better than Stevenson at going forward.

How many times did Stevenson get into good positions to put in a cross and either overhit or put it into the goalies hands.

That's the point. He gets into good positions.

Today wasn't his best game but his assists in previous games and his assists in future games all come down to him getting into good positions to put in a cross.

Some of them will go out, some will go straight to the goalie, some will go right on the forehead of whoever we have running in and some will just drift over because our guy hasn't timed his run or worse than that, not bothered making it.

Regardless, in Stevenson we have a player who will get into good positions because he thinks about where he needs to be and because he will make the effort.

Players like McGeouch and Allan thrive alongside players like Lewis IMO

scoopyboy
03-01-2015, 05:12 PM
How long will he be out?!

About a fortnight I was told, I personally thought it would be longer.

scoopyboy
03-01-2015, 05:13 PM
That's the point. He gets into good positions.

Today wasn't his best game but his assists in previous games and his assists in future games all come down to him getting into good positions to put in a cross.

Some of them will go out, some will go straight to the goalie, some will go right on the forehead of whoever we have running in and some will just drift over because our guy hasn't timed his run or worse than that, not bothered making it.

Regardless, in Stevenson we have a player who will get into good positions because he thinks about where he needs to be and because he will make the effort.

Players like McGeouch and Allan thrive alongside players like Lewis IMO

Players like McGeouch and Allan thrive because they are excellent footballers not because they play beside Lewis.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2015, 05:17 PM

Scoopyboy, Jordon isn't a natural right back, unless we go to 352 again

Mibbes Aye
03-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Players like McGeouch and Allan thrive because they are excellent footballers not because they play beside Lewis.

They are excellent footballers but in a team game you need players you can rely on to make the run, as well as those making the pass expecting the run.

scoopyboy
03-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Scoopyboy, Jordon isn't a natural right back, unless we go to 352 again

I agree with you Billy but I thought he had a few decent games at right back last season.

FWIW I would get David's operation brought forward if at all possible.

scoopyboy
03-01-2015, 05:23 PM
They are excellent footballers but in a team game you need players you can rely on to make the run, as well as those making the pass expecting the run.

I get your point but you aren't seriously trying to tell me the pair of them would struggle without Lewis Stevenson.

I admire Lewis as a professional but his crossing today was woeful.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2015, 05:29 PM
I agree with you Billy but I thought he had a few decent games at right back last season.

Jordan's a good defender, good in both boxes, but dont ask him to do why Gray does. With Malonga away and not having a natural replacement, signed yet, may give Stubbs to make a few tactical changes

duffers
03-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Cool

Billy Whizz
03-01-2015, 05:30 PM
I get your point but you aren't seriously trying to tell me the pair of them would struggle without Lewis Stevenson.

Think Calum would have delivered a better final ball than Lewis today if in the same position. Lewis gave us the usual box to box running, without the quality passing we needed

Mibbes Aye
03-01-2015, 05:32 PM

:greengrin

No, I'm not trying to tell you that, it would be silly! That's not the point I'm trying to make.

I agree today wasn't Lewis' best game, though in fairness he had credit in the bank from his game against the Huns

I am saying that whatever formation the manager picks, there will be players who we need to spark things, we know who they are, but if we are to succeed, we need players who make it happen by doing the ordinary stuff and allowing the likes of Allan and McGeouch to play their game to the upmost.

brog
03-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Yep, His performance against them in the New Year game at RB was outstanding. The thing is though, many teams only play 1 up against us & no one plays more than 2. We could revert to our back 3 quite comfortably & probably get away with either McGeouch or Boyle as a WB.

Mibbes Aye
03-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Think Calum would have delivered a better final ball than Lewis today if in the same position. Lewis gave us the usual box to box running, without the quality passing we needed

I don't think Lewis had his best game today but I think he has improved massively since Butcher left and he can probably still improve.

erin go bragh
03-01-2015, 05:43 PM

Exactly , should be re booked for tomorrow .

Ggtth

Billy Whizz
03-01-2015, 05:43 PM
I don't think Lewis had his best game today but I think he has improved massively since Butcher left and he can probably still improve.

He has undoubtedly. I wasn't knocking his overall performance today, but we need a lot better quality when's he these great positions

Iain G
03-01-2015, 06:16 PM
quite comfortably & probably get away with either McGeouch or Boyle as a WB.

Is that you Louis Van Gaal?! ;-)

Hiber-nation
03-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Callum really surprised me going forward on the right, he was excellent. But he is a poor defender and Stubbs will surely be working on this.

As for Lewis, not brilliant today but has been one of our best players this season.

Jonnyboy
03-01-2015, 06:27 PM

Latapy and Sauzee thrived because they had Matty Jack alongside them :wink:

truehibernian
03-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Counted one cross into the Roseburn late second half, other crosses into the mixer - Scott Allan's free kicks any better scoopy ?

truehibernian
03-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Callum really surprised me going forward on the right, he was excellent. But he is a poor defender and Stubbs will surely be working on this.

As for Lewis, not brilliant today but has been one of our best players this season.

Booth did very well indeed when he came on, gave Eckersley a wee bit too much room last 10 but I thought McGeouch was off pace and didn't quite help - attacking wise he offered himself all the time and have to say I was chuffed he was so positive and relaxed in his play - well done Boothy !

whiskyhibby
03-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Thought Booth did well today , very composed and could have had a goal [emoji4]

scoopyboy
03-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Counted one cross into the Roseburn late second half, other crosses into the mixer - Scott Allan's free kicks any better scoopy ?

Scott Allan's free kicks were poor today but that doesn't change the fact that Lewis was poor with his delivery.

Apart from the cross at 1-0 where JC should have doubled our lead his crosses were certainly not in the mixer. Unless you count hitting the first man or finding an opponent as being in the mixer.

To me being in the mixer would be a 50/50 chance of finding your own man repeatedly over the course of the game.

truehibernian
03-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Scott Allan's free kicks were poor today but that doesn't change the fact that Lewis was poor with his delivery.

Apart from the cross at 1-0 where JC should have doubled our lead his crosses were certainly not in the mixer. Unless you count hitting the first man or finding an opponent as being in the mixer.

To me being in the mixer would be a 50/50 chance of finding your own man repeatedly over the course of the game.

Sorry, disagree, Lewis played balls into the box to be won far more than Allan or any other Hibs player - stoic defending and lack of someone in the box limited our 'threat' - Lewis did well.

Stuarty27
03-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Anytime Booth has been called upon this season he hasn't let anyone down and in fact his game against Falkirk at home was terrific.

Played well at Livy out of position and has done well recently.

Defo a good member of the squad who I think deserves to play more.

scoopyboy
03-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Sorry, disagree, Lewis played balls into the box to be won far more than Allan or any other Hibs player - stoic defending and lack of someone in the box limited our 'threat' - Lewis did well.

Forget Scott Allan, forget Lewis' defending, my comment was Lewis crossing today was woeful.

I stand by that and you are trying to take away from that by throwing other factors into the equation.

Either you thought his crossing was good or you didn't think it was good, forget the other bits.

truehibernian
03-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Anytime Booth has been called upon this season he hasn't let anyone down and in fact his game against Falkirk at home was terrific.

Played well at Livy out of position and has done well recently.

Defo a good member of the squad who I think deserves to play more.

Thought he'd be away this window Stuarty but today he played with belief - watched him preseason at East Fife couple of years ago and today is the first day he's reached that confidence level on the ball - loved seeing it, he's a right good footballer, and played 'wrong side' - really thought he'd 'scored' the winner late second half - good player, so hope he takes his chance !

greenlex
03-01-2015, 08:54 PM

This is where I stand on it. There was no one arriving in the box unlike last week.