PDA

View Full Version : Indirect free kicks....

Mikey09
03-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Was watching an old FA Cup match on BBC2, Bradford City v Spurs. Spurs were awarded an indirect free kick in the Bradford penalty box for one of there players being fouled. Whatever has happened to these decisions in the modern game?? Never seems to be given nowadays.... Apart from pass backs. For me there are loads of incidents where players are fouled in the penalty box and this could be given. Could also be given for all these handball incidents deemed not deliberate.... Maybe a .netter who is a ref could tell us?

nonshinyfinish
03-01-2015, 11:20 AM
I think one of the common ones used to be obstruction. As far as I know this is still in the rules (an indirect free-kick wherever it is on the pitch), but it's been years since I've seen it given.

Green Man
03-01-2015, 11:23 AM
I seem to remember indirect free kicks being given for obstruction in the box - I'm not sure if obstruction is ever given these days. I'm sure there was a Scotland match where the opposition (maybe Iceland) could have had a penalty but were awarded an IFK instead.

bobbyhibs1983
03-01-2015, 11:27 AM
I think one of the common ones used to be obstruction. As far as I know this is still in the rules (an indirect free-kick wherever it is on the pitch), but it's been years since I've seen it given.

I seem to recall a while aback here on .net a similar thread(not sure if it was free kick related though) and well in regards *obstruction* i think is the player whom is deemed *obstructing* is in control of the ball then it is deemed okay by the ref.

It is a major pet hate of my mine when a player *sherpereds* it out for a bye kick, Play the damn bal imo.

Forza Fred
03-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Never liked indirect free kicks myself.

In the old days always seemed to be the cowardly option available to the ref.

My simplistic thinking was and remains...it's either a foul or it's not...if it isn't play on....if it is then it should be penalised like other infringements, and if it results in a penalty, then so be it.

Being a smartie, I'd just add that in nearly every game played indirect free kicks are awarded, as it is the punishment for offside....something that many I suggest would not have twigged

HibeesLA
03-01-2015, 02:21 PM
IFK and DFK (direct free kick) are given for 2 different types of fouls. You cannot get an IFK for a foul that would normally be a DFK. On my phone, so don't have the link handy, but if you look up law 12, you'll see the difference.
As pointed out, an IFK is given for playing in a dangerous manner (usually high feet into a tackle) or impedes the progress of a player. That is what should be given if a player moves in front of another player, deliberately blocking their path, even if inside the penalty area. Direct free kick would apply if the player was tripped, rather than just blocked.

Waxy
04-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Penalties seem one of the unfairest parts of football now.They should be done away with.