PDA

View Full Version : Media Fontaine, why?

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 10:24 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-can-go-through-rest-4901927

If tomorrow's game wasn't hard enough, Fontaine says this. I hate when players do this. Just gives hearts more encouragement. :rolleyes:

Allant1981
02-01-2015, 10:26 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-can-go-through-rest-4901927

If tomorrow's game wasn't hard enough, Fontaine says this. I hate when players do this. Just gives hearts more encouragement. :rolleyes:

Everything he says is true though, if a very average hearts side can do it then why not us?

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Everything he says is true though, if a very average hearts side can do it then why not us?

What? We can go the rest of the season unbeaten and challenge hearts for the title? We missed the boat for that moths ago.

Geo_1875
02-01-2015, 10:31 AM
What? We can go the rest of the season unbeaten and challenge hearts for the title? We missed the boat for that moths ago.

The same old moth eaten, anti-Hibs argument you trot out in every post.

CallumLaidlaw
02-01-2015, 10:32 AM

Would you rather he said we will likely get beat a few more times? I'm delighted they have this confidence

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Would you rather he said we will likely get beat a few more times? I'm delighted they have this confidence

Id rather the players kept out the media and let the manager do the talking and the players do their talking on the pitch. Confidence is good but I'd rather they didn't spout this in national newspapers.

Peevemor
I think the quotes are good.

"We should be confident enough to believe that".

Why not let them see that we're not frightened of them? Why not plant the seed of doubt in their minds for once?

Jack
I love it. No fear!

It shows determination and a will to win.

An attitude that anything less than a win is achievable will only result in less than a win.

F what they think, we know we are better than them.

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 10:35 AM

If that's how you feel then don't read them or comment.

marinello59
02-01-2015, 10:36 AM

I think he actually hates Hibs.

PeterboroHibee
02-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Although i agree with most of what he says, I'll be more convinced if we manage to beat Hearts tomorrow. There seems to be confidence amongst the players though which i like.

Heisenberg
02-01-2015, 10:37 AM
I see nothing wrong with what he's said in that article.

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 10:38 AM

You're right. I hate them, going to sell my ticket for tomorrow now.

marinello59
02-01-2015, 10:39 AM

They bring you no joy though do they? Just excuse after contrived excuse to have a pop at everything.

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 10:41 AM
They bring you no joy though do they? Just excuse after contrived excuse to have a pop at everything.

Not true.

Leithenhibby
02-01-2015, 10:45 AM
I think the quotes are good.

"We should be confident enough to believe that".

Why not let them see that we're not frightened of them? Why not plant the seed of doubt in their minds for once?

:agree:

Or we could just hand them the flag now!..........

I'd be very disappointed if the players from my club didn't take this stand........

BoomtownHibees
02-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Id rather the players kept out the media and let the manager do the talking and the players do their talking on the pitch. Confidence is good but I'd rather they didn't spout this in national newspapers.

Media is part and parcel of the game in this day in age. I'm happy that there is confidence in the squad.

What would you like him to have said?

Pretty Boy
02-01-2015, 10:46 AM
I'd much prefer our players when asked about our prospects by the press answered along the lines of:

'Truth is we're not good enough to put a run together. Hearts have proven they are far better than us, we'll struggle to win on Saturday and we'll likely lose a few between now and the end of the season. We just don't have the players or the belief to even think about winning a few games in a row.'

That's the attitude we should be looking for. None of this belief in yourself, your team mates and your manager pish.

lord bunberry
02-01-2015, 10:48 AM
He hasn't insulted or belittled hearts in any way. All he's done is let them know we're heading there tomorrow full of confidence. I don't see why they would want to pin that article up on the dressing room wall.

Pedantic_Hibee
02-01-2015, 10:48 AM

I'm convinced you are my dad. He's a right miserable bassa when it comes to Hibs as well. Lighten up once in a while, man.

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Media is part and parcel of the game in this day in age. I'm happy that there is confidence in the squad.

What would you like him to have said?

Nothing! I'd rather the manager did the interviews in the press. As I've said I like the fact we are confident now but if we go out and lose the game tomorrow, whether it be 1-0 or 4-0 that interview makes Fontaine look a bit silly.

However if we win its worked out alright for him.

The_Exile
02-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Not true.

You sound a wee bit like the miserable auld cow who sits opposite me at work, everything is pish and she wants the whole world to know it.

Love that interview, he'll look silly if we get beat tomorrow mind, but it showshow good and confident the mindset Iis.

Pedantic_Hibee
02-01-2015, 10:50 AM
I'd much prefer our players when asked about our prospects by the press answered along the lines of:

'Truth is we're not good enough to put a run together. Hearts have proven they are far better than us, we'll struggle to win on Saturday and we'll likely lose a few between now and the end of the season. We just don't have the players or the belief to even think about winning a few games in a row.'

That's the attitude we should be looking for. None of this belief in yourself, your team mates and your manager pish.

We could romp this league by ten points and the usual suspects will end up complaining that we should have won it by twenty. Ridiculous. I'm all for realism but some of the negativity on here defies belief. It's a wonder why they support Hibs never mind post on here.

Leithenhibby
02-01-2015, 10:51 AM
You sound a wee bit like the miserable auld cow who sits opposite me at work, everything is pish and she wants the whole world to know it.

Love that interview, he'll look silly if we get beat tomorrow mind, but it showshow good and confident the mindset Iis.

Roll on Monday :greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
02-01-2015, 11:02 AM

I'll buy it 😂

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 11:12 AM
We could romp this league by ten points and the usual suspects will end up complaining that we should have won it by twenty. Ridiculous. I'm all for realism but some of the negativity on here defies belief. It's a wonder why they support Hibs never mind post on here.

Ridiculous comment.

We won't be romping this league.

Pedantic_Hibee
02-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Ridiculous comment.

I used it as an example....but damn you and your pessimism ;)

IanM
02-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Ridiculous comment.

we might do if Hearts get deducted 9 points :greengrin

Allant1981
02-01-2015, 11:16 AM

We are playing much better now so why not? I really hope the players dont think like you

WeeRussell
02-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Can I have it?

Glory Lurker
02-01-2015, 11:24 AM
I've not read it as I won't click through to that rag, but I agree with everything Liam says.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-01-2015, 11:27 AM
But if this was a Hearts player, we would be trotting out the lines of, team-talk already written or buy eleven copies and hand out one each to the starting line up.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2015, 11:29 AM
But if this was a Hearts player, we would be trotting out the lines of, team-talk already written or buy eleven copies and hand out one each to the starting line up.

I've never really understood that thought process.

Would a player really try harder in a derby because an opposing player had talked up his own team? That would suggest he wasn't going to give 100% otherwise which seems unlikely.

Carheenlea
02-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Liam is spot on - this side are good enough to go on a lengthy unbeaten run, but it would take a monumental collapse from Hearts to give us any chance. Let's not forget however that hilarious monumental collapses and Hearts are no strangers to one another, so if Liam's mindset is shared by his teammates, then we may well just make things interesting in the seasons second half.
We have to be relieved that the players at not crapping themselves at the thought of a derby, a trait all to common with too many of this forums members. I'm looking forward to tomorrow immensely, and I believe we will win. Comfortably.

Glory Lurker
02-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Liam is spot on - this side are good enough to go on a lengthy unbeaten run, but it would take a monumental collapse from Hearts to give us any chance. Let's not forget however that hilarious monumental collapses and Hearts are no strangers to one another, so if Liam's mindset is shared by his teammates, then we may well just make things interesting in the seasons second half.
We have to be relieved that the players at not crapping themselves at the thought of a derby, a trait all to common with too many of this forums members. I'm looking forward to tomorrow immensely, and I believe we will win. Comfortably.

Amen to that. :top marks

Hibbyradge
02-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Journalist: "Well, Liam, do you think Hibs can keep up the unbeaten run and challenge Hearts for the title?"

Fontaine: "No danger".

Hibbyradge
02-01-2015, 11:45 AM
I've not read it as I won't click through to that rag, but I agree with everything Liam says.

How do you know? :greengrin

hibbysam
02-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Nothing! I'd rather the manager did the interviews in the press. As I've said I like the fact we are confident now but if we go out and lose the game tomorrow, whether it be 1-0 or 4-0 that interview makes Fontaine look a bit silly.

However if we win its worked out alright for him.

Unfortunately the players have to do interviews.. What was Liam to say? Sorry pal I can't answer that question in case i sound confident, go and ask stubbsy!

green&left
02-01-2015, 12:04 PM

Well if its in the daily record its obvisouly true.

Thanks for the heads up.

CallumLaidlaw
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
I've never really understood that thought process.

Would a player really try harder in a derby because an opposing player had talked up his own team? That would suggest he wasn't going to give 100% otherwise which seems unlikely.

I would understand it if the player was saying "Hearts are S&^%E, we are gonna pump them, we are much better team, etc", but he isnt. He's just saying that we are capable of beating Hearts, and we now have a confident squad.

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
I used it as an example....but damn you and your pessimism ;)

:thumbsup:

We will go up through the play-off's though. :agree: :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
02-01-2015, 12:18 PM

:agree: Another one of Petries relatives, bleeding the club dry - he knows where the car park money is hidden if you ask me.:wink:

Mikey
02-01-2015, 12:22 PM

They bully you at work, don't they? And no doubt you let them bully you at school too.

Have you ever thought of standing up to them?

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 12:23 PM
we might do if Hearts get deducted 9 points :greengrin

It will be 14 point deduction, 3 points for each game said yam player was on team sheet and 5 point deduction for cheating, Queen B will plead her innocence and blame #allisbarry, she has to blame someone for her cheating hearts.

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 12:30 PM
They bully you at work, don't they? And no doubt you let them bully you at school too.

Last time I checked this was a forum for discussion and opinions. There's nothing to say that opinions must always be positive or the same as yours. As for the bullying remarks that's just ridiculous.

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 12:33 PM

Players can say what they want in the papers, they have to say positive things as they just have to be positive they can win the game, we have heard this all before from other players before derby games about what they are going to do but come match day they don't live up to what they said a few days before in the rags, let the players do all there talking on the pitch and put in the performance that gets us a win, then they can brag to the rags on Sunday about how good it was beating the tramps/cheats/peados/cheatsagain/ the day before.

erin go bragh
02-01-2015, 12:35 PM
This :agree: i would have added "the charity thieving barstewards are not going to know whats hit them "
:gwa:
GGTTH

J-C
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm personally delighted the players have decided it's time to get some baws and have some confidence about them, been missing past few years, a swagger.

GreenLake
02-01-2015, 12:44 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that article except they probably edited out the times he mentioned the 7 nil game.

Turkish Green
02-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Unlike our politicians, footballers are not schooled in the art of answering loaded questions from interviewers. How was Funtime supposed to respond when asked about Hearts. Of course they will be caught, won't they?

Heisenberg
02-01-2015, 01:20 PM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/dominique-malonga-hibs-have-got-it-at-last-1-3649257

Another interview here. I love big Dom.

kaimendhibs
02-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Last time I checked this was a forum for discussion and opinions. There's nothing to say that opinions must always be positive or the same as yours. As for the bullying remarks that's just ridiculous.

That's exactly what it is Hermit. Without opinions and discussion there would be no forum.

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Is Hermit a school teacher.

stoneyburn hibs
02-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Hibs player being positive. Am no having that, hope he never plays for us again.

My_Wife_Camille
02-01-2015, 02:19 PM

Surprise negative slant from Hermit Crab :hilarious

Well said Liam, good to see the players are confident!

heretoday
02-01-2015, 02:24 PM

I'd rather they all just shut up. Nobody ever says anything original or funny. They just spout the usual cliches. No wonder no one buys the papers any more.

I doubt the Hearts will be too bothered about this. He's hardly a big personality is he?

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 02:37 PM

If you don't like what I post the you have the choice to read it not, or use the ignore poster option.

SteveHFC
02-01-2015, 02:37 PM
Hermit is spot on tbf :top marks

Northernhibee
02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
If you don't like what I post the you have the choice to read it not, or use the ignore poster option.

Same for you - if you don't like us backing our player excuding confidence on this one, feel free not to read it or just use the ignore poster option yourself.

Delighted that our players are buzzing for this one.

My_Wife_Camille
02-01-2015, 02:41 PM
But I do like it, I think it's ******* hilarious :hilarious

Pete
02-01-2015, 02:44 PM

There's another surprise reaction.

:rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 02:50 PM
But I do like it, I think it's ******* hilarious :hilarious

Good. Hope you keep reading my dull pessimistic posts.

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 02:51 PM

What's surprising about it? God forbid someone might actually agree with me as that's not permitted on here it seems.

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Same for you - if you don't like us backing our player excuding confidence on this one, feel free not to read it or just use the ignore poster option yourself.

Delighted that our players are buzzing for this one.

Don't worry, my ignore list is ever growing.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2015, 02:52 PM

He's not though.

Hibs would have had to put a player or 2 forward for media this week, that's how football is now. LF hasn't chose to approach the media to mouth off about how Hibs are going to do this, that or the other. He would have been asked a question along the lines of 'do you still think you can catch Hearts.'. He then has 2 options: say no (and imagine the reaction if he did) or answer as he did which essentially said it's going to take a huge unbeaten run and be hugely difficult but it's possible.

Fontaine has answered a tricky question well imo. Talked Hibs up, not had a pop at Hearts and shown there is now a confidence and belief about the squad.

HH81
02-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Is there any chance Hibs players can do the talking on the pitch v Hearts instead?

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 02:55 PM

It is, lets just hope they take that confidence with them on Saturday, all in good when saying this stuff to a reporter in a comfy room, but tomorrow will see 15000 tramps baying for blood against us in a poisonous atmosphere, that's when our players need to have confidence and don't lose there bottle.

It's a derby game, it will be frantic, you can never predict these games, lets just hope our players are up for it on the day and we come away with the 3 points, then the players can brag all they want to the press after the game.

Had to check who i was posting to as i had never seen that username before. :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
02-01-2015, 02:55 PM

What because i agree with Hermit's post?

Here's an idea i'll just sell my 3 tickets for tomorrow since i'm always a negative poster:aok:

Northernhibee
02-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Is there any chance Hibs players can do the talking on the pitch v Hearts instead?

I'd like them to do both.

Green Cabbage 7
02-01-2015, 03:01 PM
About time some of our players had this attitude, only focus on winning!

HH81
02-01-2015, 03:30 PM
I'd like them to do both.

The only one that matters is on the pitch.

Pete
02-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Here's an idea i'll just sell my 3 tickets for tomorrow since i'm always a negative poster:aok:

Why do you need three tickets?

Northernhibee
02-01-2015, 03:40 PM
The only one that matters is on the pitch.

Nah, both matter to me. I don't just want us to beat them on the pitch, I want our players to display a swagger to show that they know they can do it game in, game out. It's been a long time since we've been playing nice football, I want us to be able to praise ourselves as nobody else will.

Let's get stuck right into them tomorrow either way :gwa:

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 03:42 PM

To sell them for a profit as folk are desperate. Supply and demand.

HH81
02-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Nah, both matter to me. I don't just want us to beat them on the pitch, I want our players to display a swagger to show that they know they can do it game in, game out. It's been a long time since we've been playing nice football, I want us to be able to praise ourselves as nobody else will.

Let's get stuck right into them tomorrow either way :gwa:

Don't see how players saying they are going to do this and that before a game is going to help but each to their own.

I can agree we need to get stuck into them from the start and let turn them over. :aok:

WeeRussell
02-01-2015, 04:19 PM
What because i agree with Hermit's post?

Can I have them?

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2015, 04:22 PM

...cos no-one wants to sit beside him? :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Andy74
02-01-2015, 04:27 PM

We've lost once in how long? Seems fair ambition to me.

HoboHarry
02-01-2015, 04:35 PM
...cos no-one wants to sit beside him? :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
That was a good yin..... :agree:

Mind you based on his posts I think it should look :crazy::grr::crazy:

hibsbollah
02-01-2015, 04:40 PM

I agree with everything he says. Hibs CAN go the rest of the season undefeated, not Hibs WILL. Whats the problem?

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 04:50 PM

Large, very large. I'm being nice on him, think sumo. :greengrin

PatHead
02-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Thing is we don't know what was asked.

DR Do you think you can catch Hearts? Yes but we have to win every game and rely on them losing.

DR Can you do that? Yes but it will be a big ask.

The story Hibs can go through the season unbeaten is a better story than the above.

Know my examples from LF are not word for word but hope you can see where I am coming from.

The article is just a series of answers.

Bostonhibby
02-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Thing is we don't know what was asked.

DR Do you think you can catch Hearts? Yes but we have to win every game and rely on them losing.

DR Can you do that? Yes but it will be a big ask.

The story Hibs can go through the season unbeaten is a better story than the above.

Know my examples from LF are not word for word but hope you can see where I am coming from.

The article is just a series of answers.

I think this is probably how it went, reporters need to make a story so they collect an assortment of quotes/answers and arrange them in an order that suits their agenda and / or sells papers.

On this particular issue the Butcher era in particular led to me to prefer if the players did their talking on the pitch, especially when you look at the fall out after the latest Butcher disaster. These days if there's a confidence about the club (and there should be) lets show it there like we did against the new boys, and maybe after we get the result?

The Green Goblin
02-01-2015, 06:11 PM
I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow. A 4-0 crushing of The Rangers last week, the share announcement and rumours of some of our best players signing contract extensions have made this a really good week for us. A really good week. Very positive. That's a good feeling to take into a derby. I would expect a player's comments to reflect this and have no idea why that could ever be seen as a bad thing.

Aldo
02-01-2015, 06:34 PM
What gets me is folk would slate him big time if he had been negative.

The guys is on a hiding to nothing on here tbh.

Sounds like there is a very positive vibe coming from the team.... Confident and playing well.

Good on him for saying what he did.

Let's now do it on the park the morn.

02-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Exactly, many a time we have slated the players for lacking the confidence hearts have going into derbies. I agree that we shouldn't be getting carried away but i'm glad to see a bit of belief within the squad.

Sir David Gray
02-01-2015, 06:47 PM

I think we should encourage our players to come out with stuff like this instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30628138

It's the way forward. :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Just to be clear then, Neilson comes out in the papers tomorrow and says we have nothing to fear from Hibs. We can go the rest of the season unbeaten and go on to win the league. If this is posted here, the replies would be, good on him for having confidence in his team?

matty_f
02-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Just to be clear then, Neilson comes out in the papers tomorrow and says we have nothing to fear from Hibs. We can go the rest of the season unbeaten and go on to win the league. If this is posted here, the replies would be, good on him for having confidence in his team?

No, regardless of what he says, he'll be getting called a Yam welt for saying it.

The Yam welt.

OsloHibs
02-01-2015, 08:55 PM
What is the point of this thread? People don't like confidence....

Ach well, 'MON THE HIBEES :gwa:

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 08:58 PM
What gets me is folk would slate him big time if he had been negative.

The guys is on a hiding to nothing on here tbh.

Sounds like there is a very positive vibe coming from the team.... Confident and playing well.

Good on him for saying what he did.

Let's now do it on the park the morn.

Where it counts. :agree:

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 09:00 PM
The yam welt.

poolman
02-01-2015, 09:01 PM

Yea,why doesn't he put a negative spin on it ( YAWN )

Liam89
02-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Hermit Crab is definitely at the wind up. There is no way he believes that Fontaine had any other way of answering that question without receiving a backlash and looking like we fear Hearts.

Northernhibee
02-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Interesting how all the confidence is coming from our players this time round.

That lot are scared - we're the biggest threat they've faced to their unbeaten record this season and they know it.

HappyHibby93
02-01-2015, 11:03 PM
love it, all he's doing is talking the team up, we won't get very far without being confident. There is a difference between confidence and arrogance, what he said showed confidence, not arrogance.

Hermit Crab
02-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Interesting how all the confidence is coming from our players this time round.

That lot are scared - we're the biggest threat they've faced to their unbeaten record this season and they know it.

I hope you're right.

matty_f
02-01-2015, 11:12 PM
The yam welt.

Correct. Smelly Yam welt.

Northernhibee
02-01-2015, 11:13 PM
I hope you're right.

Check over on Sickbag, apart from the odd roaster using their 5-1 comfort blanket or the unconvincing "It's just Hibs" they're looking nervy. I love it, they know who the better team is and they won't be sleeping from nerves tonight :greengrin

Northernhibee
02-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Has anyone mentioned that Neilson is a yam welt yet?

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Cheating smelly yam tramp welt.

matty_f
03-01-2015, 12:18 AM
Cheating smelly Yam tramp shan haircut welt.

silverhibee
03-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Cheating smelly asbestos ridden caveman tramp welt.

matty_f
03-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Cheating smelly asbestos ridden caveman tramp orc welt.

EH54
03-01-2015, 01:46 AM
I prefer the players to do it on the park it's good the players are confident but heard it too many times get the job done first

Jdawg
03-01-2015, 01:50 AM
I prefer the players to do it on the park it's good the players are confident but heard it too many times get the job done first Agreed, plenty times in the past we have been playing well and turn up the derby and play rotten.

I hope we turn up, keep the head, keep the ball on the deck and go at them. If we do then we have a good chance of taking all 3 points.

JimBHibees
03-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Cheating smelly asbestos ridden caveman tramp orc welt.

Freaky caveman weirdly whispering yam welt