PDA

View Full Version : Gerrard to leave Liverpool

Scouse Hibee
01-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Stevie G will leave at end of season now confirmed. A truly magnificent servant to LFC.

iwasthere1972
01-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Stevie G will leave at end of season now confirmed. A truly magnificent servant to LFC.

Does he get on with Stubbsy. :dizzy:

Scouse Hibee
01-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Going to the MLS then maybe Hibs after that :-)

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2015, 10:43 PM
He can't play for another English side surely?

Hermit Crab
01-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Has been. Finished now.

J-C
01-01-2015, 10:50 PM
He can't play for another English side surely?

He might be Liverpool through and through but he's been a great servant and will feel he's proved his loyalty enough, depends what his family wants, that may be the telling point as which way he'll go.

Weststandwanab
01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Vastly over rated since 1999.

Look at Lampard for what should have ran Englashre's midfield

Scottie
01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Not a big Liverpool fan but have to admire the way he dedicated his entire career to the club.

Scouse Hibee
01-01-2015, 10:53 PM

Okay expert!

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Brian Kerr on a space hopper.

darwenhibby
01-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Good player committed to Liverpool but never in the class of Bryan Robson or Roy Keane
Enjoy ur semi retirement u need a rest after carrying Liverpool 's dreams

c31
01-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Should have joined Chelsea when he had the chance.

Iain G
01-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Good player committed to Liverpool but never in the class of Bryan Robson or Roy Keane
Enjoy ur semi retirement u need a rest after carrying Liverpool 's dreams

Paul McStay in a Liverpool shirt...

Danderhall Hibs
01-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Wonder if Man City will carve it up so thy get him on "loan" next season.

Hibeesmad
01-01-2015, 11:10 PM
He's nearly as good as Scott Allan

darwenhibby
01-01-2015, 11:14 PM

Liam Miller in a Hibs shirt 😏

Oscar T Grouch
01-01-2015, 11:15 PM

Difference being McStay won 3 league titles.

Jim44
01-01-2015, 11:21 PM

What's the rationale behind such a decision? Is he not good enough to hold on to his position? Does the club not want to pay his huge wages any more? Can he get more money elsewhere? Etc. etc ....

jdships
01-01-2015, 11:23 PM

Sour grapes
Lampard is a prima donna thro' and thro'
Ask Chelsea supporters !!:greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
01-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Sour grapes
Lampard is a prima donna thro' and thro'
Ask Chelsea supporters !!:greengrin

Prima Donna or not he is in the top three all time goal scorers in the EPL and he's a midfielder, just overtook teirry Henry today.

MWHIBBIES
01-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Todays mercenaries could learn a lot from him, top player who stayed with the club he loved.

SteveHFC
01-01-2015, 11:49 PM
One of my favourite players of all time.

Maybe we could offer him a player/coach deal?

poolman
01-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Could not give a toss

The_Exile
01-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Has been. Finished now.

If you check the stats, he had his "statistically" 2nd best years last year. Players like Gerrard fade a bit though as their engines get a bit 'weaker', still a cracking player though.

Big Ed
02-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Not a big Liverpool fan but have to admire the way he dedicated his entire career to the club.

Should have joined Chelsea when he had the chance.

According to this tome, he'd have got a bullet in the foot if he'd chosen to leave his beloved Reds: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Gangsters-Organised-Controls-Beautiful/dp/1845962478

Killiehibbie
02-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Was he that dedicated when he was going to Chelsea until a big boy told him not to? Heard a few versions of that story, not sure what one is true.

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Good player for Liverpool, will be seen as a legend by the scousers, and rightly so.

Smartie
02-01-2015, 12:45 AM

It was a piece of nonsense that the English obsessed for years about how to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same midfield whilst hopelessly under-rating Paul Scholes and what he could have contributed.

I'm no Man Utd fan whatsoever but he was a magnificent player. Gerrard and Lampard have both had good premier league careers in a hugely over-hyped league but Scholes was in a different league to the 2 of them.

Smartie
02-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Was he that dedicated when he was going to Chelsea until a big boy told him not to? Heard a few versions of that story, not sure what one is true.

I'm pretty sure all versions of "that story" can safely be filed under "urban myth".

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-01-2015, 12:51 AM
Love you Stevie G, legend.

cad
02-01-2015, 01:04 AM
A truly great servant to Liverpool FC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkc6TgCWU8Q

He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief.
You can't learn that – players like him are just born with that presence."

Zinedine Zidane on Gerrard, 2009 .

Cameron1875
02-01-2015, 01:07 AM
Great player until 09 then his legs gave way. Never really a CM as didn't have a clue how to stay in his position, way better with Alonso and Mascherano letting him do what he wanted.

Scholes
Lampard
Gerrard

Stringer
02-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Should have left Liverpool when he was still good enough.

The Green Goblin
02-01-2015, 01:51 AM
I was never that bothered about Steven Gerrard, but some of the comments on this thread dismissing him are utter nonsense imo. To back up that statement, here are some stats about his career:

Born 1980
Youth Career 1987-1998 (Liverpool)
First Team Career 1998-2014 (Liverpool) Apps: 695 Goals: 180

England Caps: 114 Goals: 21
Euros: 2000, 2004 and 2012
World Cup: 2006, 2010 and 2014

He has been club captain since 2003.

Honours won include: Two FA Cups, Three League Cups, One UEFA Champions League, One UEFA Cup and Two UEFA Super Cups.

So given the stats above, you'll have to forgive me if I can't take some of the negative comments about him on this thread seriously, especially the suggestions that he should have left Liverpool when he had the chance. As I said at the top, I have zero emotional attachment to Liverpool F.C or him as a player, but deary me, some of the comments about him on this thread are pretty silly.

lapsedhibee
02-01-2015, 08:19 AM
In Istanbul 2005, his was the most outstanding individual contribution to winning a cup final since Pat Stanton's in 1972, so he certainly wasn't finished in 1999. However, he's a diving git so he can get tae.

McD
02-01-2015, 08:28 AM
695 club appearances (to date), third on liverpools appearance record. 114 caps putting him third on England's appearance record (could have stayed on and probably broken shiltons record if that's what motivated him.

To play at that level for 17 years with one club is some achievement, especially with some of the dross Liverpool have put around him.

Probably the last time we'll see someone stay at one club for so long in the mid-to-upper echelons of professional football.

JimBHibees
02-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Fabulous player and great servant to his club. Some of his goals and assists were simply outstanding. Kind of think he wasn't quite top class internationally given his tournament performances. Seems strange timing to announce this now.

jacomo
02-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Todays mercenaries could learn a lot from him, top player who stayed with the club he loved.

Yes, but only after going back on his decision to join Chelsea...

Brizo
02-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Yes, but only after going back on his decision to join Chelsea...

The story I heard at the time was that his decision to stay at Liverpool was heavily influenced by the reaction from the scouse underworld to him leaving ? Sounds a bit far fetched but having spent some time in Liverpool maybe not that far fetched. No doubt Scouse Hibee can confirm if theres any truth to that story.

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 09:18 AM
The story I heard at the time was that his decision to stay at Liverpool was heavily influenced by the reaction from the scouse underworld to him leaving ? Sounds a bit far fetched but having spent some time in Liverpool maybe not that far fetched. No doubt Scouse Hibee can confirm if theres any truth to that story.

Interesting comment,how does the time you spent in Liverpool make that idea seem not so far fetched?

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Obviously close to home for me but some of the comments about him are laughable,overrated before Istanbul, really are you sure about that? Of course there will be negatives spouted because he plays for Liverpool and that's fair game but keep it realistic. Absolute legend in my eyes as any similar player to your boyhood team would be.There may have been better players but never have I seen one player be able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and change the direction of it quite like Steven Gerrard. Whatever he does or wherever he goes he will always be held up there as a true legend of LFC by me.

Pete
02-01-2015, 09:44 AM
The scouse underworld would be more bothered about Everton surely.

Steven Gerrard is a modern day legend and was world class in his day. His passing was, and probably still is, exceptional and his medals haul in an average Liverpool team is impressive. Istanbul was the ultimate comeback and he'll go down in history for being part of that.

Nobody can criticise Lampard either, who os still influencing games. Another fantastic talent who has achieved more than most players could dream of. I blame the England managers for not finding a solution that involves the pair of them. Most national teams would have given their right arms for this "problem".

Weststandwanab
02-01-2015, 09:55 AM
It was a piece of nonsense that the English obsessed for years about how to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same midfield whilst hopelessly under-rating Paul Scholes and what he could have contributed.

I'm no Man Utd fan whatsoever but he was a magnificent player. Gerrard and Lampard have both had good premier league careers in a hugely over-hyped league but Scholes was in a different league to the 2 of them.

I would agree with all of that but nobody mentioned Scholes until you did.

PeterboroHibee
02-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Excellent player and a great servant for Liverpool.

Personally I find the debate over the 3 English midfielders quite dull. They were all top players who wer hugely important to their clubs, and I'm sure everyone will have their own favourite. They were also all quite different midfielders so I'd say it's quite difficult to say who was 'best'.

lapsedhibee
02-01-2015, 09:57 AM
The story I heard at the time was that his decision to stay at Liverpool was heavily influenced by the reaction from the scouse underworld to him leaving ?

Interesting comment ...

Would quite like to hear a local's response to Brizo's principal point. That story was in the 'quality' press as well as the tabloids at the time, and I don't remember there being any substantive alternative explanation for what seemed to be a sudden change of heart by Gerrard. Was the transfer to Chelsea not widely assumed to be happening, rather than just idle rumours?

Brizo
02-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Interesting comment,how does the time you spent in Liverpool make that idea seem not so far fetched?

Interesting comment to deflect my question :wink: If theres no truth in that story , just say so. No need to get so defensive. I wont patronise you about all the great stuff your city has going for it but I also spent a lot of time working in Bootle 20 plus years ago so seen the other side of it ( a side you'll find in Manchester, Birmingham etc etc and even some parts of Embra).

Genuinely interested to get your take on what was widely rumoured. If theres no shred of truth, fine. Wasn't looking to have a dig at your home town.

lapsedhibee
02-01-2015, 09:58 AM
The scouse underworld would be more bothered about Everton surely.
Why so?

God Petrie
02-01-2015, 10:03 AM
He has provided some memorable assists over the years. Ba, Henry etc. what a player

Pretty Boy
02-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Some of the comments on here are stunning in there, for lack of a better word, stupidity.

I'm no fan of Liverpool but Gerrard was a fantastic player, world class. I was disappointed when I saw him at St James Park earlier this season as the mind still seems willing but maybe the legs aren't and the role he was playing reflected that. That doesn't take away from a great career though. He may not have won the EPL but a Champions League, UEFA Cup, 2 Super Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 FA Cups added to 114 England caps isn't a bad haul by most standards.

In Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard England had 3 of the outstanding midfielders in the world for a few years. Just as well no manager could really find a system that suited them all.

grunt
02-01-2015, 10:21 AM
bleep ‏@bloopington 41m41 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/bloopington/status/550949161173282817) full marks to the BBC sports sub-editor who captioned a story about Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool with 'Gerrard Departure'.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Who cares?

Nothing to see here.

I see the BBC and Sky have been falling over themselves with this story, have they not got the video that shows him beating up a guy in the pub?

Oh well here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQTiFnqOyGI

lapsedhibee
02-01-2015, 10:59 AM
here are some stats about his career:

Born 1980
First Team Career 1998-2014 (Liverpool) Apps: 494 Goals: 116

Honours won include: Two FA Cups, Three League Cups, One UEFA Champions League, One UEFA Cup and Two UEFA Super Cups.

I'm no fan of Liverpool but Gerrard was a fantastic player, world class. I was disappointed when I saw him at St James Park earlier this season as the mind still seems willing but maybe the legs aren't and the role he was playing reflected that. That doesn't take away from a great career though. He may not have won the EPL but a Champions League, UEFA Cup, 2 Super Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 FA Cups added to 114 England caps isn't a bad haul by most standards.

In Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard England had 3 of the outstanding midfielders in the world for a few years. Just as well no manager could really find a system that suited them all.

Probably all true. Still a git though.

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Interesting comment to deflect my question :wink: If theres no truth in that story , just say so. No need to get so defensive. I wont patronise you about all the great stuff your city has going for it but I also spent a lot of time working in Bootle 20 plus years ago so seen the other side of it ( a side you'll find in Manchester, Birmingham etc etc and even some parts of Embra).

Genuinely interested to get your take on what was widely rumoured. If theres no shred of truth, fine. Wasn't looking to have a dig at your home town.

Mate you wrongly interpreted my response as a defence of my hometown city which it wasn't it was a genuine question to you. In answer to your question I have absolutely no idea and I very much doubt that other than those really close to Stevie G neither does anyone else.

H18S NX
02-01-2015, 11:20 AM
he's nearly as good as scott allan...........never...

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Who cares?

Nothing to see here.

I see the BBC and Sky have been falling over themselves with this story, have they not got the video that shows him beating up a guy in the pub?

Oh well here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQTiFnqOyGI

Who cares? Me :-)

jdships
02-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Prima Donna or not he is in the top three all time goal scorers in the EPL and he's a midfielder, just overtook teirry Henry today.

More to being a top class midfielder than scoring goals as you should know !!
Gerrard was the best EPL " box to box " m/f of his generation
A leader and inspiration to young players and a nice person to speak to
:thumbsup:

TRC
02-01-2015, 11:39 AM
he was a great player but never in the class of Zidane or Pirlo in their prime. Always thought they should have dropped him over Lampard he never seemed that bothered by England duty.

Brizo
02-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Mate you wrongly interpreted my response as a defence of my hometown city which it wasn't it was a genuine question to you. In answer to your question I have absolutely no idea and I very much doubt that other than those really close to Stevie G neither does anyone else.

Fair comment SH. Cheers for giving me a locals take on that rumour.

emerald green
02-01-2015, 01:39 PM
I was never that bothered about Steven Gerrard, but some of the comments on this thread dismissing him are utter nonsense imo. To back up that statement, here are some stats about his career:

Born 1980

So given the stats above, you'll have to forgive me if I can't take some of the negative comments about him on this thread seriously, especially the suggestions that he should have left Liverpool when he had the chance. As I said at the top, I have zero emotional attachment to Liverpool F.C or him as a player, but deary me, some of the comments about him on this thread are pretty silly.

:agree: :top marks

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-01-2015, 01:41 PM

Born 1980

:thumbsup:

Aldo
02-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Get him signed up for next season.

Would be nearly as good as our signing of Le God!! ;-)

Spike Mandela
02-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Can't believe the fuss about this. Countless players will be leaving their clubs at the end of the season.

Gerrard an undoubtedly excellent player in his day long overran his best buy date at Liverpool and England midfield by quite a few years.

Now leaving to cash in and make a fast buck, so what!

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Can't believe the fuss about this. Countless players will be leaving their clubs at the end of the season.

Gerrard an undoubtedly excellent player in his day long overran his best buy date at Liverpool and England midfield by quite a few years.

Now leaving to cash in and make a fast buck, so what!
It's a big story about a big player at a big club and rightly so.

Spike Mandela
02-01-2015, 02:59 PM
It's a big story about a big player at a big club and rightly so.

Maybe to Scousers but outside Liverpool nobody really gives a ****. Sorry Scouse mate, good player but hardly worthy of national news coverage.

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Maybe to Scousers but outside Liverpool nobody really gives a ****. Sorry Scouse mate, good player but hardly worthy of national news coverage.

I think the response on here and on many other media outlets proves you wrong, it's a big story in the football world whether you like it or not. Go on admit it you know you want to ;-)

Spike Mandela
02-01-2015, 03:11 PM
I think the response on here and on many other media outlets proves you wrong, it's a big story in the football world whether you like it or not. Go on admit it you know you want to ;-)

Nah good try Scouse.:greengrin

Respect the player and his acheivements but the overeaction in the national tv media is just another reflection of the sensationalist, tabloidesque dumbing down of news reporting in this country. Not the players fault I grant you, but it really isn't a story worthy of the six o'clock news and other such major news broadcasters.

Sky Sprts news wall to wall coverage you can almost forgive as it is a significant sports story but it's being reported as if it's a cause for national mourning.:cb

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Nah good try Scouse.:greengrin

Respect the player and his acheivements but the overeaction in the national tv media is just another reflection of the sensationalist, tabloidesque dumbing down of news reporting in this country. Not the players fault I grant you, but it really isn't a story worthy of the six o'clock news and other such major news broadcasters.

Sky Sprts news wall to wall coverage you can almost forgive as it is a significant sports story but it's being reported as if it's a cause for national mourning.:cb
It's a great story worthy of national and worldwide acclaim in my opinion, that's an unbiased view by the way. :-)

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2015, 03:25 PM
I hope to f he does not do a Terry Henry and "sign" for sky, with Carragher and him the bloody subtitles would be on all the time.

Spike Mandela
02-01-2015, 03:26 PM
It's a great story worthy of national and worldwide acclaim in my opinion, that's an unbiased view by the way. :-)

Still not as big a story for me as when the BBC cancelled the Liver Birds.:cb

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Eh eh awrite lad worrabout that goal eh Steeevie lad, ****** sound Carra ****** sound

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Still not as big a story for me as when the BBC cancelled the Liver Birds.:cb

Carla Lane nearly as good as Stevie G but not quite.

Cabbage East
02-01-2015, 03:55 PM
That slip against Chelsea is what I'll remember him best for. It's funny everytime I see it :greengrin

Weststandwanab
02-01-2015, 04:00 PM
That slip against Chelsea is what I'll remember him best for. It's funny everytime I see it :greengrin

The King is dead, long live The King.

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Uncle Bobby will know. When they find him that is. :wink: :greengrin

silverhibee
02-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Fair comment SH. Cheers for giving me a locals take on that rumour.

Google does reveal he has had some connections with the gangster underworld in Liverpool.

Still a cracking player though.

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Uncle Bobby will know. When they find him that is. :wink: :greengrin

:-)

HoboHarry
02-01-2015, 05:08 PM
John Aldridge saying that SG is the greatest Liverpool player of all time. Mmmmmmm.... better than King Kenny? Methinks not.......

HoboHarry
02-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Get him signed up for next season.

Would be nearly as good as our signing of Le God!! ;-)
Damn right. If we don't sign him and that Harry Kane this month I'm blaming Petrie.....:grr:

:greengrin

weonlywon6-2
02-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Outstanding player who could really change a game and great loyalty to a club,not often you can say that.

iwasthere1972
02-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Great player but better than King Kenny? Never.

Bet he wishes he won
as much as KD.

Good luck to him in the future. :aok:

The_Todd
02-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Great player at a massive club but the rolling news "updates" are boring me now. He's not dead, dying or anything he's just leaving at the end of his contract. It's getting a little bit out of proportion now.

Jose Mourinho will be loving this though, nobody is talking about Chelsea shipping five goals last night anymore.

weedgiehibbie
02-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Would be a decent back to Scott Allan :greengrin

Weststandwanab
02-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Bet he wishes he won
as much as KD.

I seem to recall KD winning a league whilst playing for Liverpool.

Iain G
02-01-2015, 06:44 PM

I just hope we get equal coverage when wee Lewis finally leavea the Hibees at aged 34 :-)

Sir David Gray
02-01-2015, 06:54 PM
This is doing my head in.

Every 10 minutes on Sky Sports News, their headline is along the lines of;

"The tributes keep pouring in for Liverpool legend, Gerrard."

The guy's going into semi-retirement, he's not dead!

He was a great player in his day and Liverpool will miss him a lot next season but this is going over the score.

Sir David Gray
02-01-2015, 06:59 PM
I hope to f he does not do a Terry Henry and "sign" for sky, with Carragher and him the bloody subtitles would be on all the time.

Please don't even joke about that.

I had a taste of what that would be like a few months ago when Carragher interviewed Gerrard after a match and it was doubtful as to whether or not they were speaking English.

Famous Fiver
02-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Trig

Just been watching you on some reruns of Only Fools and Horses on Sky Gold.

You were magic!!!!!!

Lang may yer lum reek!

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 07:20 PM
I'm loving the Gerrard coverage and how it's annoying folk :-)
Gerrarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

JohnStephens91
02-01-2015, 07:24 PM

He was a great player in his day and Liverpool will miss him a lot next season but this is going over the score.

If he joins an MLS side it won't be easy. Skillwise he will be better than most, but the MLS has a lot of very fit and athletic players, with Gerrard losing his burst of pace he will struggle if he doesn't attempt to adapt. The MLS is a lot better than people give it credit for. I'd imagine he'll go to New York Red Bulls (Gerard Houllier is there as a director) or LA Galaxy as they have a Designated Player slot following Landon Donovan's retirement.

Sir David Gray
02-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Trig

Just been watching you on some reruns of Only Fools and Horses on Sky Gold.

You were magic!!!!!!

Lang may yer lum reek!

Cheers, Dave. :aok:

cad
02-01-2015, 08:13 PM
I'm loving the Gerrard coverage and how it's annoying folk :-)
Gerrarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

Know what you mean lad :wink:

Haymaker
02-01-2015, 08:48 PM
If he joins an MLS side it won't be easy. Skillwise he will be better than most, but the MLS has a lot of very fit and athletic players, with Gerrard losing his burst of pace he will struggle if he doesn't attempt to adapt. The MLS is a lot better than people give it credit for. I'd imagine he'll go to New York Red Bulls (Gerard Houllier is there as a director) or LA Galaxy as they have a Designated Player slot following Landon Donovan's retirement.

New England Revolution is my bet.

Bostonhibby
02-01-2015, 08:51 PM
New England Revolution is my bet.

Didn't I read somewhere about the yams special relationship with Liverpool?

emerald green
02-01-2015, 08:59 PM

Bet he wishes he won
as much as KD.

There was a guy on C4 news earlier tonight and he made the following point:

Kenny Dalglish and Steven Gerrard are / were both great players, but KD played in better Liverpool teams full of other great players, and that's why he won more trophies than SG.

SG has had to carry some Liverpool teams which, not to put too fine a point on it, contained a fair number of players who were not very good. Certainly not as good as many of the players KD played alongside.

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Kenny Dalglish and Steven Gerrard are / were both great players, but KD played in better Liverpool teams full of other great players, and that's why he won more trophies than SG.

SG has had to carry some Liverpool teams which, not to put too fine a point on it, contained a fair number of players who were not very good. Certainly not as good as many of the players KD played alongside.

Exactly and this point is spot on. Those who think they can use the stick of not winning the league to belittle Gerrard's achievements need to remember that the teams he played in were not good enough to compete for it let alone win it unlike Lampard and even King Kenny.

emerald green
02-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Exactly and this point is spot on. Those who think they can use the stick of not winning the league to belittle Gerrard's achievements need to remember that the teams he played in were not good enough to compete for it let alone win it unlike Lampard and even King Kenny.

:agree:

HibernianJK
02-01-2015, 11:20 PM

He was in a team good enough to win the champions league though but not the EPL.....

Sir David Gray
02-01-2015, 11:47 PM
He was in a team good enough to win the champions league though but not the EPL.....

I sort of agree with your point but winning a league title takes a bit more than winning a knockout competition like the Champions League.

The league is played over 38 matches and nine months of the years, whereas the Champions League is a round robin event followed by a two-legged competition.

You need to be a consistently good team to win a league championship but in the Champions League, it's possible that you could qualify for the last 16 after losing 3 of your 6 group matches. You could then potentially lose one leg in each knockout round until the final. So in theory, you could win the Champions League despite losing six of the thirteen matches.

There's no way you would come even close to winning the league title, if you lost almost half of your matches.

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2015, 07:48 AM

Yes exactly that, winning a cup competition is no comparison to winning the league.

heretoday
03-01-2015, 08:13 AM

You are right but there is not much going on at this time of year so the media are piling in on this story. Likewise the Pardew/Pulis stuff. Way over the top.

Itsnoteasy
03-01-2015, 09:37 AM

What about last season you lot were singing you were champions before you got over finish line and dafty tripped over. Was that team not good enough?
Yes the team King Kenny played in were full of world class players but so were the teams they were up against. IMO no contest

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2015, 09:41 AM
What about last season you lot were singing you were champions before you got over finish line and dafty tripped over. Was that team not good enough?
Yes the team King Kenny played in were full of world class players but so were the teams they were up against. IMO no contest

No last seasons team wasn't good enough, the Liverpook teams I watched King Kenny play in were streets ahead of the opposition, individually the players weren't all world class either but as a team they were. King Kenny still the man for me but comparisons of different eras are hard to make.

Aldo
03-01-2015, 09:44 AM
No last seasons team wasn't good enough, the Liverpook teams I watched King Kenny play in were streets ahead of the opposition, individually the players weren't all world class either

Plenty of Scotsman in those teams as well Scouse.

As you say they might not of been world class but overall an excellent team.

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Plenty of Scotsman in those teams as well Scouse.

As you say they might not of been world class but overall an excellent team.

Exactly, real football folk know the score :-)

DH1875
03-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Just seen that it's his decision and that apparently Rodgers tried everything to get him to stay including offering him a coaching role. He wants a new challenge which is fair enough but cant help but think he's left it to late.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-01-2015, 01:30 PM
He'll go to L.A Galaxy I reckon.

Iain G
03-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Just seen that it's his decision and that apparently Rodgers tried everything to get him to stay including offering him a coaching role. He wants a new challenge which is fair enough but cant help but think he's left it to late.

You mean a final pay day ;-)

HoboHarry
03-01-2015, 01:38 PM
He'll go to L.A Galaxy I reckon.
Sporting KC I hope. I will get to see him and Claros play......

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Sporting KC I hope. I will get to see him and Claros play......

Claros is better :greengrin