PDA

View Full Version : Eoin Doyle

Lago
31-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Reported that Doyle, scorer of 21 goals to date, is the Jan target of a number of championship clubs. Have to say was missed at ER. Good luck to the boy he's done well.

nellio
31-12-2014, 10:11 AM
His name came up on the Cardiff city forum I post on. Manager Russel slade looking to bring in low earners to balance the books.

IMO not good enough for Cardiff, we're a team trying to get back to the Prem but could do a job as a squad player perhaps for other championship clubs.

hibeg
31-12-2014, 10:29 AM
I think he will easily fit into a championship team. At Hibs I thought his movement off the ball was excellent and to be honest IMO he was one step ahead of most of the other players.

weecounty hibby
31-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I thought he was a very good player who got himself into some great positions and would have scored more if LG had passed a wee bit more. Will never forget his equaliser in the SC semi against Falkirk. Would have him back at ER in a minute

cam75
31-12-2014, 10:41 AM
£2m price tag :)

hibeemikey21
31-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Have to admit that I'm astonished by how well he's done. Never thought he was good enough. Delighted for him all the same

Weststandwanab
31-12-2014, 11:08 AM
I thought he was a very good player who got himself into some great positions and would have scored more if LG had passed a wee bit more. Will never forget his equaliser in the SC semi against Falkirk. Would have him back at ER in a minute

I would 100% agree with that - Never forget that semi final goal.

£2m price tag :)

Seriously ? if that is true then RP has played another blinder there.

Spike Mandela
31-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Why is it so astonishing to some people that players can actually improve as they get older and gain more experience in football.

The raw inexperienced player we had with potential a few years ago has clearly improved and has worked hard at his career so good luck to him.

Sometimes all that is required during the development of a player is a bit of patience, a quality sadly lacking in the football supporting community, myself included unfortunately.

bigwheel
31-12-2014, 11:33 AM
I think he will easily fit into a championship team. At Hibs I thought his movement off the ball was excellent and to be honest IMO he was one step ahead of most of the other players.

I think he lacks pace to play at a level above where he is now.....would be interesting to see how he does though....

Lago
31-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Why is it so astonishing to some people that players can actually improve as they get older and gain more experience in football.

The raw inexperienced player we had with potential a few years ago has clearly improved and has worked hard at his career so good luck to him.

Sometimes all that is required during the development of a player is a bit of patience, a quality sadly lacking in the football supporting community, myself included unfortunately.
Agree!

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Why is there no comment about the level that he is playing at?

erin go bragh
31-12-2014, 11:41 AM
I though he looked a player when he first joined us . In the Keith Keith Keith mould . But that semi goal apart , cant think of any more magic moments . Good luck to him .

Ggtth

lord bunberry
31-12-2014, 12:38 PM
He suffered from the fact that he played in the same team as griffiths, sparky rarely passed when he was near the box. Its amazing that he scored as many as he did.

CropleyWasGod
31-12-2014, 01:24 PM
I would 100% agree with that - Never forget that semi final goal.

Seriously ? if that is true then RP has played another blinder there.
Is there a sell-on clause? I thought he was at the end of his contract.

Geo_1875
31-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Is there a sell-on clause? I thought he was at the end of his contract.

I think he's hsving a dig at Rod.

CropleyWasGod
31-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I think he's hsving a dig at Rod.
FS. :)

Whoosh

Big_Franck
31-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Why is there no comment about the level that he is playing at?

The level he is playing at is poor :greengrin

He may well have scored a few goals in the Scottish Championship had he stayed but I thought he was quite poor for us and if anything got worse throughout his time here. His first touch was horrible at times and he just didn't do enough to get another contract. He's not the kind of player we need if we are to be a success in the premiership when we get back up. Having said that he did always seem to give 100% so best of luck to the guy.

And for anyone who is going to suggest League 1 in england is a good standard, Matt Done has 10 goals already in the same league :greengrin

easty
31-12-2014, 02:04 PM
He suffered from the fact that he played in the same team as griffiths, sparky rarely passed when he was near the box. Its amazing that he scored as many as he did.

What? He suffered because he played with a really good player? That's a new one, not only can players suffer from playing with **** players, now they can suffer from playing with good ones as well.

He suffered from the fact that more often than not he didn't do much when he was in the team. He looks like he's doing well now, and good for him, but I wasn't sad to see him go when he did.

Smartie
31-12-2014, 02:27 PM
I think he lacks pace to play at a level above where he is now.....would be interesting to see how he does though....

Pace is one thing I'd say he does have. He was raw when he was with us but he had attributes that you could see being built on, with the right coaching and experience.

He did well enough with us - he was moving up a level and raised his game enough to get a move up again. If he's continued to progress - and everything suggests he has - then he has earned and deserves this opportunity.

I liked him. He grafted and looked like he cared which was more than could have been said about many at the club when he was here.

Oranje39
31-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I always liked him in the team, always felt he would give 100%. Seems to be paying off for him, Well done Eoin. :aok:

Hibby Bairn
31-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Speaking of ex forwards I see Clayton Donaldson scored a couple at the weekend in the Championship. Can't remember which team but think it was one doing well.

Dan Sarf
31-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Speaking of ex forwards I see Clayton Donaldson scored a couple at the weekend in the Championship. Can't remember which team but think it was one doing well.

For Birmingham who are starting to climb out of trouble. He was cracking them in for Brentford before his (last-pay-day) move.

KeithTheHibby
31-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Fenlon let Doyle leave and replaced him with Vine. Has to be one of the worst pieces of business considering we were losing LG.

Doyle wasn't brilliant but had raw talent. Good luck to him.

erin go bragh
31-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Fenlon let Doyle leave and replaced him with Vine. Has to be one of the worst pieces of business considering we were losing LG.

Doyle wasn't brilliant but had raw talent. Good luck to him.

Not true KTH . Doyle turned down our offer as he wanted to hook up with his old manager . ( no sure if our offer was poor tho )

Ggtth

lord bunberry
31-12-2014, 04:49 PM
What? He suffered because he played with a really good player? That's a new one, not only can players suffer from playing with **** players, now they can suffer from playing with good ones as well.

He suffered from the fact that more often than not he didn't do much when he was in the team. He looks like he's doing well now, and good for him, but I wasn't sad to see him go when he did.

He suffered because he was always going to play second fiddle to griffiths.

Stevie Reid
31-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Always rated Doyle and was very disappointed when he left. He would have made a huge difference last season.

johnbc70
31-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Sure I heard Doyle was one of the lowest paid first team players at the club, on less than £20K a year. I am sure the new deal offered to him would not be much more so good luck to him as he 100% made the right call in leaving us and trying his luck down south.

Onceinawhile
31-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I always liked Doyler, not the best finisher, but got a decent return.

Great movement and a good header despite his lack of height.

Peach vs Aberdeen too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a67AonA2jR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNuNpbXcvPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_brZp5Y6P64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19DWOKD-qI

As an aside, how many brilliant assists did Paul Cairney get.:agree:

silverhibee
31-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Always rated Doyle and was very disappointed when he left. He would have made a huge difference last season.

Yep, he had something about him that you thought he was worth keeping a hold of.

silverhibee
31-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Sure I heard Doyle was one of the lowest paid first team players at the club, on less than £20K a year. I am sure the new deal offered to him would not be much more so good luck to him as he 100% made the right call in leaving us and trying his luck down south.

He was on a very poor wage, the new offer wasn't much better,

LaMotta
01-01-2015, 12:19 AM

He did lots when in the team such as assists for goals, goals from outside the box and goals from inside the box. Much much more than James Collins who you bizarrely thought was a decent player. Mental somone thinking Collins was better than Doyle.

Carheenlea
01-01-2015, 07:17 AM
The third, and equalising goal in the Falkirk semi was probably the most emotional goal I've experienced. The celebrations for Sparky's winning rocket were more subdued than Doyle's down to sheer exhaustion within the stands.

Nutmegged
01-01-2015, 08:01 AM
I was never a big fan of Doyle, didn't rate him all too highly but I think I may have been spoiling myself with thoughts of Sparky at the time, the lad has did very well for himself since leaving us and fair play to him, hope he continues to make a fool of my opinion

Danderhall Hibs
01-01-2015, 12:37 PM
The third, and equalising goal in the Falkirk semi was probably the most emotional goal I've experienced. The celebrations for Sparky's winning rocket were more subdued than Doyle's down to sheer exhaustion within the stands.

:agree: same here. There was an inevitability about the 4th as well.

easty
01-01-2015, 12:44 PM
He did lots when in the team such as assists for goals, goals from outside the box and goals from inside the box. Much much more than James Collins who you bizarrely thought was a decent player. Mental somone thinking Collins was better than Doyle.

Collins is better than Doyle.

bigwheel
01-01-2015, 12:55 PM

Now. That's a brave post !

easty
01-01-2015, 01:01 PM

I'm a brave boy. 😎

Lago
01-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Not at ER he wasnt

easty
01-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Not at ER he wasnt

Agreed

town
01-01-2015, 01:22 PM

He may well have scored a few goals in the Scottish Championship had he stayed but I thought he was quite poor for us and if anything got worse throughout his time here. His first touch was horrible at times and he just didn't do enough to get another contract. He's not the kind of player we need if we are to be a success in the premiership when we get back up. Having said that he did always seem to give 100% so best of luck to the guy.

And for anyone who is going to suggest League 1 in england is a good standard, Matt Done has 10 goals already in the same league :greengrin

But he was offered another contract and turned it down. Players do improve, he looked very average in L2 but has improved significantly in L1

I watched a good few Hibs games after it was announced we were signing him and the way he was being used by your manager was strangling him.

Your general point about the standard of L1 is a bit odd. It's very hard to make direct comparisons between leagues and try to avoid it but one thing for sure I was amazed at the number of English L1/L2 journeyman in the Scottish Premiership. I think that speaks volumes.

I like your example of Matt Done who looks a good player at L1 level but I'll raise you Michael Higdon, player of the season in Scotland a couple of years ago and now unable to get a regular game in a side short of strikers

Weststandwanab
01-01-2015, 01:43 PM

Have you sobered up yet ?

I think you mean a stupid post.

easty
01-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Have you sobered up yet ?

I think you mean a stupid post.

Almost.

It's not a stupid post.

town
01-01-2015, 01:47 PM

But he was offered another contract and turned it down. Players do improve, he looked very average in L2 but has improved significantly in L1

I watched a good few Hibs games after it was announced we were signing him and the way he was being used by your manager was strangling him.

Your general point about the standard of L1 is a bit odd. It's very hard to make direct comparisons between leagues and try to avoid it but one thing for sure I was amazed at the number of English L1/L2 journeyman in the Scottish Premiership. I think that speaks volumes.

I like your example of Matt Done who looks a good player at L1 level but I'll raise you Michael Higdon, player of the season in Scotland a couple of years ago and now unable to get a regular game in a side short of strikers

BSEJVT
01-01-2015, 01:55 PM

Collins is one of the worst centre forwards I have seen at ER in 45 years.

Only others of comparable pishness I can think of would be:

Ally Scott

Graham Fyfe

Joe Ward

Lee Power

I have deliberately omitted Hurtado & Konte, both of whom I thought were better and both of whom had better records with Hibs.

Doubtless there are others that I have rinsed from memory but IMO Collins really was that bad.

ancient hibee
01-01-2015, 06:02 PM
I'm almost too modest to say that when Doyle left I posted that he would get plenty goals down south.He would have scored plenty for us if LG would have given him the ball sometimes and Fenlon hadn't had him running around trying to be a defender.Pat Nevin said on TV once that Doyle took up great positions and was never given the ball.

jimmythefish
01-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Did like Doyle & good luck to the boy, but remember a derby at tynecastle , straight through one on one wi the goalie & he blasted it over the bar, think the game finished 0-0 unforgivable miss

Baader
01-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Don't think you'll have many backing you up with on that one!

Jonnyboy
01-01-2015, 08:01 PM
I always liked Doyler, not the best finisher, but got a decent return.

Great movement and a good header despite his lack of height.

Peach vs Aberdeen too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNuNpbXcvPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_brZp5Y6P64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19DWOKD-qI

As an aside, how many brilliant assists did Paul Cairney get.:agree:

I can think of three off the top of my head and they all resulted in goals for Falkirk :wink:

Zemamma10
06-01-2015, 08:55 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11719/9634636/transfer-news-championship-clubs-contact-chesterfield-about-eoin-doyle

Price tag between 1-2 million......

Matt Done who looked terrible on Loan has notched 11 goals in League One for Rochdale as well, crazy.

Hermit Crab
06-01-2015, 09:01 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11719/9634636/transfer-news-championship-clubs-contact-chesterfield-about-eoin-doyle

Price tag between 1-2 million......

Matt Done who looked terrible on Loan has notched 11 goals in League One for Rochdale as well, crazy.

If doyles worth that then footballs going down the pan. 500,000 at best top end. :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
06-01-2015, 09:03 PM
If doyles worth that then footballs going down the pan. 500,000 at best top end. :rolleyes:

Problem is the fee quoted is a drop in the ocean down here for the clubs bidding, and having seen Doyle a couple of times recently I can say I think he is a player who is continuing to improve - He will score goals so long as the service is there. Good luck to him.

cabbageandribs1875
06-01-2015, 09:13 PM
scored with a penalty in a 2-2 draw tonight, goal No 22 for the season

jane_says
06-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Did like Doyle & good luck to the boy, but remember a derby at tynecastle , straight through one on one wi the goalie & he blasted it over the bar, think the game finished 0-0 unforgivable miss

Remember it well, and totally agree with the unforgivable bit. Have to say though he's turned out to be a very decent player down there, and fair play to him.

The_Exile
06-01-2015, 10:27 PM
From what I remember, there was massive promise and hype when he played in Ireland, came to us, done ok, nothing spectacular, then gets released and looks like he's on course to bang in over 30 goals this season. We're cursed! :greengrin

Alex Trager
06-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Almost.

It's not a stupid post.

pretty certain they're in the same league and Doyle is far ahead of collins in the scoring chart.
Doyle was and is a better player than collins

Alex Trager
06-01-2015, 10:33 PM
pretty certain they're in the same league and Doyle is far ahead of collins in the scoring chart.
Doyle was and is a better player than collins

different league.
Much better goal return for the ginger one but.
Collins is in an easier league also

matty_f
06-01-2015, 10:54 PM
I liked Doyle when he was with us, I was quite disappointed when he left.

Stevie Reid
06-01-2015, 10:55 PM

How do you work that out exactly? His value is based on his performances, goals, and the market he is in - not on your opinion of him. The money being quoted is perfectly reasonable given his scoring ratio for Chesterfield and his part in their success. Worth remembering that he's only been playing as a centre forward for three years as well, and is clearly improving.

I'm not at all surprised to see him do so well down there, was really disappointed when we lost him. Given the amount of crap we've had to watch at ER over the last few years, I'm surprised that so many look down their noses at him - clever player, who always stood out for me.

spike220
07-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Funny that! Doyle's career has taken off while Sparky has gone backwards.

EdinMike
07-01-2015, 07:06 AM
I honestly thought that Eoin was too good for us...

Good luck to the lad !

3pm
07-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Interesting read!!!

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?260409-Doyle-to-Chesterfield

Forza Fred
07-01-2015, 07:26 AM

My view entirely too

IrnBru22
08-01-2015, 01:32 AM
According to 'scottishtransfertalk' celtic are interested in him. Sounds like a load of s*** to me

500miles
08-01-2015, 05:13 AM
interesting read!!!

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?260409-doyle-to-chesterfield

*smugface*

GraniteCityHibs
08-01-2015, 08:06 AM
I though he looked a player when he first joined us . In the Keith Keith Keith mould . But that semi goal apart , cant think of any more magic moments . Good luck to him .

Ggtth

Volley at Pittodrie. :agree:

jacomo
08-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Similar to Clayton Donaldson in a way - doesn't seen like a natural leader on the pitch but a clever player with good technical ability.

We did offer Doyle a new contract but without knowing how much was offered that doesn't mean much. For the sake of his career he seemed to make the right move, good luck to him.

VivaHiberña
08-01-2015, 04:19 PM
According to 'scottishtransfertalk' celtic are interested in him. Sounds like a load of s*** to me

Easiest rumour in the world to make up: Irish, ex-SPL player who's scored a few goals down South. Must be about to sign for Celtc. Yaawwwwn...

Frazerbob
09-01-2015, 07:38 AM

It's all over the MSM this morning. £1.5m bid imminent apparently.

R11Loaded
09-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Daily record claiming celtic will bid 1.5 million, never laughed harder! Griffiths is 5 times the player and can't get a game!

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

kenny.ff
09-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Daily record claiming celtic will bid 1.5 million, never laughed harder! Griffiths is 5 times the player and can't get a game!

exactly my thoughts

Mikeystewart
09-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Volley at Pittodrie. :agree:

:agree:

greenpaper55
09-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Doyle was good against lowly teams, he is scoring for fun in a crap league and if he came back up here he would be no better.

Thecat23
09-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Never cut it here, personally didn't rate him and couldn't care less where he goes!

Andy74
09-01-2015, 12:16 PM

Different players though and I think Doyle suffered a bit playing with Leigh as there wasn't much link up.

You could see from Doyle's debut against Cowdenbeath that his movement and awareness were very good. He has obviously got a decent finish and he has developed that by going to a different league and rattling them in.

Latterly Doyle had to play wide or not at all because we didn't have much other creativitiy and we were reliant on Leigh getting his goals from nowhere.

I could see why a team would play Doyle ahead of Leigh just now though, if you have more of a team and other options to bring into play it can all stop with Leigh sometimes. Can't say I've seen much of either of them in the last couple of years through.

Anyway, good spot Pat Fenlon! Pity we couldn't have kept a hold of him.

Brizo
09-01-2015, 01:40 PM
If Doyle has improved im not surprised. He had raw potential and as others have said good movement and awareness. More than that he seemed to have a really good professional attitude and seemed an intelligent level headed guy. If he gets a big money move it will be testimony to that attitude and to him working at his trade.

EVENTUALLY
09-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Never cut it here, personally didn't rate him and couldn't care less where he goes!

Agree. His first touch was actually usually very good, his second touch was definitely poor. I can remember countless times remarking why does he control the ball for his oppo to step in and easily take it away from from him.

Thecat23
09-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Agree. His first touch was actually usually very good, his second touch was definitely poor. I can remember countless times remarking why does he control the ball for his oppo to step in and easily take it away from from him.

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
09-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Different players though and I think Doyle suffered a bit playing with Leigh as there wasn't much link up.

You could see from Doyle's debut against Cowdenbeath that his movement and awareness were very good. He has obviously got a decent finish and he has developed that by going to a different league and rattling them in.

Latterly Doyle had to play wide or not at all because we didn't have much other creativitiy and we were reliant on Leigh getting his goals from nowhere.

I could see why a team would play Doyle ahead of Leigh just now though, if you have more of a team and other options to bring into play it can all stop with Leigh sometimes. Can't say I've seen much of either of them in the last couple of years through.

Anyway, good spot Pat Fenlon! Pity we couldn't have kept a hold of him.

:agree: I said from the start how good I thought Doyle was, he's a very intelligent player and I personally thought we should have tried a lot harder to keep him here.

libernian
09-01-2015, 06:28 PM
doyle, mcginn, griffiths, league 1 / spl players... far cry from the larsson, sutton, hartson etc days... long may it continue and we might finally see an aberdeen or dundee united challenge... would be great for the game imo...

easty
09-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Same here. Never trusted him to score even when he was put through with a good chance.

green day
09-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Same here. Never trusted him to score even when he was put through with a good chance.

Thought he was ok, but.....

Should have scored at 0-0 in the cup final v Celtic.

That's my big memory, sadly

dmc1875
09-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Doyle was a good player everyone could see he had good movement and technique and was the perfect foil for Griffiths. His goalscoring attributes werent great but he did get a few and he seems to have developed

LaMotta
09-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Thought he was ok, but.....

Should have scored at 0-0 in the cup final v Celtic.

That's my big memory, sadly

If it wasn't for his particularly impressive goal in the semi, we wouldn't have got to that Final.

sleeping giant
09-01-2015, 07:58 PM
If it wasn't for his particularly impressive goal in the semi, we wouldn't have got to that Final.

"Don't effin shoot from th.... GOAL" :-)

LaMotta
09-01-2015, 08:04 PM

:greengrin haha my thoughts exactly at the time.

What a noise when that goal went in, don't think there has been a celebration quite like it.

mca
09-01-2015, 08:04 PM

Aye - I Can remember thinking.. guan yrself sun.. Nawwww Yaassssss ya effing beauty..

Hope he don't end up in weegie..

OsloHibs
09-01-2015, 08:12 PM

:not worth Whatta moment!

SMAXXA
09-01-2015, 08:47 PM

I liked him

TheFamous1875
09-01-2015, 09:26 PM
I liked him

I, at the time of the SC Final v Celtic, believed that we could do better (especially after his header, which Rob Jones would've definitely put away), and as Hibernian FC fans we should believe that, but as soon as it was certain that Sparky wouldn't be retained I thought Doyle as the main man may've been a good bet as I did like him and tought he had potential to be an effective striker at this level. At the time though, I thought we had the beginnings of a a good team for the season ahead: Claros, Craig and Robertson on paper seemed quite a fomidable midfield three at the time, (Taiwo and Thomson on the bench), with Hanlon and an injury-free McPake at the back with the still-promising McGivern and a proper right-back flanking them. Sparky up top with a striker that complimented him and Alex Harris and another winger flanking them, we could've easily been a top 6 squad on paper.

How different it could have been!

Thecat23
09-01-2015, 10:17 PM
I liked him

So did my mate who I sit with. I honestly didn't think he was good enough at that level! But appreciate others did. Be interesting to see how his career pans out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2015, 10:23 PM
If Doyle has improved im not surprised. He had raw potential and as others have said good movement and awareness. More than that he seemed to have a really good professional attitude and seemed an intelligent level headed guy. If he gets a big money move it will be testimony to that attitude and to him working at his trade.

Agreed. Wish him nothing but good luck in career. He's a young guy who obviously has talent and works hard at his game. He was a young player when he came to us, and he never gave anything less than 100%. He never sought to leave, but was punted by the club. Why people can't just graciously wish a young guy in that position all the best is beyond me.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Doyle was raw but done more than enough in his time with us to warrant a new deal. Shame we offered him a pitiful one. I 100% believe we would have stayed up with Doyle leading the line instead of Collins and Vine.
Terrible decision to basically let him leave when we had just lost Leigh and had no new strikers signed.

essexhibee
09-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Should have buried that header early on in the SCF. It might have all been different....

Would be suprised if celtic go for him. He didn't score a lot up here unlike sparky who was proven at this level.