PDA

View Full Version : Do The Rangers have any good players?

SunshineOnLeith
30-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Looks like they're selling their best player, in Lewis MacLeod, for £1million. It's looking like a fire sale is coming at Ibrox - is there anyone we'd take in Jan?

They've been beyond awful in games against us and Hearts this season but that's got to be down to the appalling standard of coaching and management more than the players just being rubbish. Guys like Miller and Boyd may be a bit too old to recover from the damage done by McCoist's regime but some of the younger guys might have the ability if properly coached etc - somebody like Kyle Hutton maybe?

I'm sure we all have fond memories of Rangers fans 'complimenting' Hibs players by saying "Aye, I'd take him", time for a bit of role reversal I think :greengrin

Cammy Bell must be almost fit again, I'd take him.

Just Alf
30-12-2014, 04:28 PM
They still just don't get it!..... See this beauty from RM

"Surely it would have best to wait till new manager in place and the Jan bidding started.
Even possibly keeping for couple more years and selling on once capped and won prem league !
He'd potentially be a 5mil + player ***, every week is worse than last. Sick of this"

:greengrin

hibees 7062
30-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Looks like they're selling their best player, in Lewis MacLeod, for £1million. It's looking like a fire sale is coming at Ibrox - is there anyone we'd take in Jan?

They've been beyond awful in games against us and Hearts this season but that's got to be down to the appalling standard of coaching and management more than the players just being rubbish. Guys like Miller and Boyd may be a bit too old to recover from the damage done by McCoist's regime but some of the younger guys might have the ability if properly coached etc - somebody like Kyle Hutton maybe?

I'm sure we all have fond memories of Rangers fans 'complimenting' Hibs players by saying "Aye, I'd take him", time for a bit of role reversal I think :greengrin

Cammy Bell must be almost fit again, I'd take him.

Lee Wallace :agree:

Bronson
30-12-2014, 04:53 PM

I thought he was pretty gash on saturday, would I take him over Stevenson? Not anymore. He probably has more ability but he's not as reliable IMO.

Scottie
30-12-2014, 04:58 PM

:no way:

I thought he was pretty gash on saturday, would I take him over Stevenson? Not anymore. He probably has more ability but he's not as reliable IMO.

:agree: His career has been on a downward spiral since he join the Huns. No thanks.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Deano.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Lewis Macleod to Brentford for 1M... :faf:

jacomo
30-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Deano.

Can't see him in our team ahead of any if our current midfielders

Bostonhibby
30-12-2014, 05:11 PM
There must be a BBC Scotland commentator that could list them all for us ?

If not then I would say they have quite a few who are no better or worse than the average Championship player, its only when you look at how much money they were being paid for beating part time teams that you have to wonder, not the players fault though, and I am sure their previous top flight manager was well aware of the wage differential along the way.

Would I like to see us sign any? Boyd could help us keep the grass down pre season as the market price of goats and sheep have risen but I cant see any point in having any of the others.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Can't see him in our team ahead of any if our current midfielders

I thought it was just in general (didn't read the OP's post, just the thread title.)

In that case, no one! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
30-12-2014, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't take any of their players over our first XI.

If we did take any of them, they would be squad players.

Smartie
30-12-2014, 05:25 PM
I think they've got plenty of decent players. None brilliant (maybe the guy that's going to Brentford but to be honest I don't think I've ever seen him play) but plenty who are ok and could potentially do a decent turn elsewhere.

The problem they have is that they are all too similar - technically good but slow, slow, slow!!!!!

Stick too many players like that in a team and it will get nowhere. There has to be pace and movement somewhere.

They have the appearance of the Butcher/Fenlon team of last year. No punch up front, little creativity and if you get a goal against them they fold.

2-3 quick players to complement what they already have, a decent manager and coaching staff to get the best out of them tactically and fitness-wise and they'd be about there.

But they've got nae cash and only look like they're going to lose players, not bring anyone in so I can only see them being screwed in the short-term.

Weststandwanab
30-12-2014, 05:26 PM

Really ? thought Jason Cummings had the better him most of the match !

Deano.

No chance

easty
30-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Cannae believe some folk wouldn't want Lee Wallace. Its no going to happen, but I'd be delighted if we could get him!

hibsbollah
30-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Deano.

Deano would play the role at the top of the diamond really well.

Bostonhibby
30-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Deano would play the role at the top of the diamond really well.

Currently (rumoured) to be earning £7k a week............

hibsbollah
30-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Currently (rumoured) to be earning £7k a week............

Im not saying its realistic, just an observation. It was his (and zemmamas) best position for us back in the day.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Cannae believe some folk wouldn't want Lee Wallace. Its no going to happen, but I'd be delighted if we could get him!

Agreed. I'd take him without a second thought.

Bostonhibby
30-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Im not saying its realistic, just an observation. It was his (and zemmamas) best position for us back in the day.

Money / value for money aside I agree - am a big Deano fan.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Could see Kenny Miller maybe as a player coach? Archibald had a really positive impact on the younger players and maybe Miller could do the same?

SunshineOnLeith
30-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Pre-Rangers financial meltdown Lee Wallace, yes. But mucking about in the lower leagues with no proper coaching or management has destroyed him, he's done. Lewis Stevenson's much, much better than him now.

GreenLake
30-12-2014, 05:52 PM
It would be funny to see Black in a Hibs top, but not as a player on the pitch. I'd sign him up and make him train with our under 16's.

easty
30-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Pre-Rangers financial meltdown Lee Wallace, yes. But mucking about in the lower leagues with no proper coaching or management has destroyed him, he's done. Lewis Stevenson's much, much better than him now.

I'm not going to argue with anyone that Lewis has been really good at LB for us this season, but I'd have Lee Wallace as starting LB on the 3rd if we had him.

To say Wallace is 'done' is nonsense.

inglisavhibs
30-12-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm not going to argue with anyone that Lewis has been really good at LB for us this season, but I'd have Lee Wallace as starting LB on the 3rd if we had him.

Correct, if Wallace had gone down South he would have been in the Scotland squad by now. He has gone backwards at Rangers but he will be a top player again if he gets the right move.

Ozyhibby
30-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Could see Kenny Miller maybe as a player coach? Archibald had a really positive impact on the younger players and maybe Miller could do the same?

Player coach? Has he any coaching experience? Which coach would he be replacing?
I think the coaches we have just brought in in the summer have done ok so far.

Pete
30-12-2014, 06:11 PM
I think they are all good players at Sevco.

Every one of them would prosper at a top flight club where the players are younger, fitter and would compliment them.

The blend at Ibrox is all wrong.

SunshineOnLeith
30-12-2014, 06:11 PM

When Strachan picked him for Scotland it very quickly became apparent that his positional sense and general sharpness was nowhere near up to the required standard, he's sunk as a player like a stone.

Maybe if he moved he could, with time, get back to the excellent player he once was but I don't think so.

Thecat23
30-12-2014, 06:13 PM
When Strachan picked him for Scotland it very quickly became apparent that his positional sense and general sharpness was nowhere near up to the required standard, he's sunk as a player like a stone.

Maybe if he moved he could, with time, get back to the excellent player he once was but I don't think so.

Couldn't agree more. His football has suffered big time.

Dashing Bob S
30-12-2014, 06:15 PM
I think Wallace has gone backwards in his career, as has been stated, by taking the money and signing for Rangers. You can understand the Boyd's, Miller's and McCullough's of this world, with their veteran status, going out to grass in the lower leagues for the king's shilling, but the likes of Wallace, Black and Deano have possibly wrecked their careers.

That said, Wallace, with the proper coaching and training, with some big games under his belt playing at a proper club, could probably resurrect. He was the only Hun who showed a modicum of threat and enterprise down that left hand side, at least until the third goal. Then he concentrated on avoiding humiliation, like the rest of the Hun.

ekhibee
30-12-2014, 06:16 PM
I always thought Wallace was a good player, and not just because he's a Hibs fan either. But his game has deteriorated since he went to Sevco. The same could be said of McGregor, another Hibs fan.

Franck Stanton
30-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Would welcome Lee Wallace and John Daly with open arms. Both good players who could shine for us under Stubs coaching.

Pete
30-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Nobody has even mentioned David Templeton, another one who chose a few pounds over personal development.

They've all made their bed and they'll have to lie in it.

Bostonhibby
30-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Nobody has even mentioned David Templeton, another one who chose a few pounds over personal development.

Looks like a yam, so that'll be a no from me - headless chicken going nowhere...............

ekhibee
30-12-2014, 06:33 PM

He's definitely a good player, but he's consistent by his inconsistency. It was the same story at Hearts, so in his case it's not just the Sevco factor. Good player though, I wouldn't mind him playing for Hibs at all, but can't really see it happening for some reason (probably wages).

Onion
30-12-2014, 06:35 PM
I think Wallace has gone backwards in his career, as has been stated, by taking the money and signing for Rangers. You can understand the Boyd's, Miller's and McCullough's of this world, with their veteran status, going out to grass in the lower leagues for the king's shilling, but the likes of Wallace, Black and Deano have possibly wrecked their careers.

That said, Wallace, with the proper coaching and training, with some big games under his belt playing at a proper club, could probably resurrect. He was the only Hun who showed a modicum of threat and enterprise down that left hand side, at least until the third goal. Then he concentrated on avoiding humiliation, like the rest of the Hun.

Wallace is just another mercenary with thuggish tendencies. Could have been a decent player with the right coaching and losing a couple of chips off his shoulders.

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2014, 07:15 PM
We do like to get a wee bit ahead of ourselves on here at times. Of course they must have some decent players, they are ahead of us, the best Hibs team in years. :tin hat:

FRes Hibbie
30-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Lee Wallace is a waster. Should be 1st choice left-back for Scotland at this stage of his career but, as others have said, he chased the short-term buck at the huns. No matter what he does now he'll not get ahead of Andy Robertson who's done exactly what Wallace should've.

basehibby
30-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Nicky Law has usually looked a good player for them - he was a bit invisible for them on sat though but that could be considered preferable to standing out for being gash as could be said for some of his team mates :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
30-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Player coach? Has he any coaching experience? Which coach would he be replacing?
I think the coaches we have just brought in in the summer have done ok so far.

:agree: I asked similar questions the other day when someone else touted him for a coaching role. Not ha an answer as far as I know.

Does he even have his badges? If he's showing promise as a coach why haven't Rangers given him a coaching role? Or have they?

shetlandhibee
31-12-2014, 03:05 AM
Kris "who ate all the pies" Boyd??...

:greengrin

macd123
31-12-2014, 04:18 AM
I always thought Wallace was a good player, and not just because he's a Hibs fan either. But his game has deteriorated since he went to Sevco. The same could be said of McGregor, another Hibs fan.

Wallace has all the physical attributes but you have to question the mentality of someone who knowingly sacrificed his scotland career and any chance of success at club level.

It's not like he is helping the club either. The guys milking rangers for huge salaries are about to bankrupt the club for a second time.

whiskyhibby
31-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Nicky Law is the only one from Saturday who would have made it to the Hibs squad....

Just Alf
31-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Nicky Law is the only one from Saturday who would have made it to the Hibs squad....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2891886/Nicky-Law-player-leave-Rangers-Huddersfield-Town-showing-Lewis-MacLeod-edges-closer-Brentford-move.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

:cb

The Hibee Harp
31-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Saturday was a very bad day at the office for Rangers but they still have a number of very good players.

Personally I would take;

Wallace
McGregor
Law
Shiels
Boyd (when fit and motivated)
Miller (I dont think he is past it, he is just starved of service)
Clark
Daly (Pay as you play deal)

Wallace, McGregor and Boyd/Miller would walk into our side at the moment imo.

Scooter
31-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Saturday was a very bad day at the office for Rangers but they still have a number of very good players.

Personally I would take;

Wallace
McGregor
Law
Shiels
Clark

no danger would any of thoes 4 as it currently stands would walk in to our side. wallace - would/could you drop stevenson. Mcgregor - who would you drop gray hanlon or fontain? boyd/miller - again who would you drop malonga or a young up and comming striker who has scored 2 in 2 and 7 for the season.

that said with being short upfront i would take miller as cover/rotation and help the young guys like handling, cummings, allan

The Hibee Harp
31-12-2014, 10:25 AM
no danger would any of thoes 4 as it currently stands would walk in to our side. wallace - would/could you drop stevenson. Mcgregor - who would you drop gray hanlon or fontain? boyd/miller - again who would you drop malonga or a young up and comming striker who has scored 2 in 2 and 7 for the season.

that said with being short upfront i would take miller as cover/rotation and help the young guys like handling, cummings, allan

Personally speaking I would replace Stevenson with Wallace, Fontaine with McGregor and Cummings with Miller just now.

I don't think there is any debate that Wallace is a better player than Stevenson and while Fontaine has been good in recent weeks I think McGregor is a better player and someone we could build a defence around.

Cummings is hot and cold this season and IMO is not ready to play first team football week-in, week-out but is doing so just now out of necessity.

DirtyDeeds
31-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Personally speaking I would replace Stevenson with Wallace, Fontaine with McGregor and Cummings with Miller just now.

I don't think there is any debate that Wallace is a better player than Stevenson and while Fontaine has been good in recent weeks I think McGregor is a better player and someone we could build a defence around.

Cummings is hot and cold this season and IMO is not ready to play first team football week-in, week-out but is doing so just now out of necessity.

I think everyone gets a touch misty-eyed about McGregor growing up in Leith as a Hibbie, thus meaning he is exactly what we need. Same has repeatedly been the case regarding Danny Swanson. He is 30 next year, so i'd sooner build a defence round others. As a free agent in the summer, he could have shown intentions to make a deal with Hibs rather chase the Hun buck. Alas, he was at the other end on Saturday taking a spanking.

A good, guy speaks well about his journey in the game, but I think theres far better out there, including a couple already playing for us.

SunshineOnLeith
31-12-2014, 01:28 PM

Lewis Stevenson is much, much better than the empty husk of a footballer that currently is Lee Wallace. Wallace sacrificed his opportunity to have a good career for a quick payday at Ibrox, fair enough that was his decision.

For our first two goals, he's let his opposite number have the time to take a touch, set himself and then shoot unopposed, and then for the second he, along with 2 team mates, gets drawn to the ball incredibly easily by Malonga while Gray runs into the box and Allan sits off and waits to make the cross.

Lee Wallace, the hearts player, was a quality left back with the world at his feet. Lee Wallace, the rangers player, is a pale shadow of the player he used to be.

emerald green
31-12-2014, 01:38 PM
From what I saw on Saturday, they are all s****. Not one of them would get a game in the current Hibs team. One or two maybe as squad players.

Lets stop making out they are better than they really are. If they are, they wouldn't have been humiliated by Hibs at the weekend.

lapsedhibee
31-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Couldn't agree more. His football has suffered big time.

:agree: His game is shot.

rosco-hibee
31-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Based on Saturdays performance, the only player I'd even think of enquiring about is Nicky Law, was the only player looking even remotely close to making something happen against us.

i couldn't believe how off the pace the likes of Wallace, Miller, Boyd et al were. Lewis had deano in his pocket when he came on.

Templeton is a decent winger, but there must be a reason he doesn't get a game, injury or otherwise.

scoopyboy
31-12-2014, 09:41 PM
In my opinion Rangers biggest problem is that their players aren't fit, I thought that was glaringly obvious on Saturday.

If they get fit under McDowall or if somebody else comes in then they might improve.

If they are as bad as a lot of people on here are making out why are we still behind them?

IIRC in games at Ibrox they have scored four against Dumbarton and QOTS and took six off Raith.

In our home games against the same three teams we have scored zip, zip and one.

We still have a bit to go.

brianmc
31-12-2014, 10:01 PM
As the old gag goes they've got some players that look good on paper but sadly we play on grass...
As for Nicky Law? Even the zombie fans rate his performance against us as worse than Black's! *going by the bampottery I've read on rangers media etc Safe to say those sites don't have swear filters-some of their comments are borderline criminal (I'd imagine)

NOLA
31-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Nicky Law, think hes a good player.

macd123
01-01-2015, 04:53 AM

Personally I would take;

Wallace
McGregor
Law
Shiels
Clark

I would take law, bell, aird, daly and wallace. Not guaranteed starters.

Wouldn't touch boyd or miller with barge pole.

Keith_M
01-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Just read yesterday's news of Lewis MacLeod moving to Brentford.

That's them now lost their most valuable player for less than 1 million.

To Brentford!!

JimBHibees
02-01-2015, 08:29 AM
In my opinion Rangers biggest problem is that their players aren't fit, I thought that was glaringly obvious on Saturday.

If they get fit under McDowall or if somebody else comes in then they might improve.

If they are as bad as a lot of people on here are making out why are we still behind them?

IIRC in games at Ibrox they have scored four against Dumbarton and QOTS and took six off Raith.

In our home games against the same three teams we have scored zip, zip and one.

We still have a bit to go.

Agree totally with that. We have done well in the bigger games but struggled against teams that sit in. Rangers squad has loads of goals in it and will get better than they were at ER.

Swedish hibee
02-01-2015, 08:43 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-outcast-sebastien-faure-ibrox-4906490

Cake at half time!?? :faf:

Brightside
02-01-2015, 09:05 PM

Personally I would take;

Wallace
McGregor
Law
Shiels
Clark

Boyd wouldn't get in my kids team. A useless lump of a player. McGregor is nowhere near as good as any of our defenders. Wallace is miles out of form,condition,training.