PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Fitba'- End of year poll 2014

Fenriz
30-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi all. Good to see the Michael Stewart interview getting plenty of feedback!! Next week's Monday Night Fitba' will see a traditional end of year poll on what has been a rollercoaster of a year for the Hibees! Apparently, efforts will be made to present a trophy to the resultant winners :D. Give us your thoughts on the following topics (all in an Edinburgh football context, of course):

Best goal -

Breakthrough player -

Best signing -

Funniest moment -

Flop of the year -

Best radio or tv pundit -

Best match -

On another note, Admins- the guys were trying to set up an official MNF account but were having some trouble registering- who should they contact about getting an account for a forum sorted?}

One more thing- I've seen that a lot of folk have taken an interest in the interview with Mikey. If anyone missed it, there was also an interview with Keith Wright recently, which I felt was very insightful despite lacking the controversy, effing and blinding of last week's guest! The links again: http://www.mixcloud.com/MNFitba/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jmVEGWR1g
http://mondaynightfitba.podbean.com/
and iTunes

Cheers!:flag:

patlowe
30-12-2014, 12:02 PM
From a Hibs point of view, which is how I'm going about this, you could pretty much base the results of this entire poll around Saturday's game, such was the sheer joy of it all. Anyhow...

Best goal - Scott Robertson v Rangers (everything about this goal was perfect - Allan's sublime pass; Robertson's gut-bursting run, touch and finish; a Rangers player falling on his behind, it being the killer third etc)

Breakthrough player - Scott Allan (debatable whether it fits the category but hey-ho!)

Best signing - David Gray (Hard to not say Allan but Gray was exactly the type of character we needed for the task ahead, not to mention being pretty much our strongest attacking outlet from right back)

Funniest moment - Hibs 4 - Rangers 0 (it wasn't a particularly funny year for Hibs but between Ian Black falling over trying to chase/kick Allan and then getting subbed, "Walk Away" and the looks on the faces of McCulloch, Miller and Boyd, you'd have to go some to beat that)

Flop of the year - Terry Butcher (nuff said - flop of the entire history of the club)

Best radio or TV pundit - Derek Ferguson (honourable mention for the potty-mouth/enigma/man of substance/all-round great guy Michael Stewart - he is actually quite good as a pundit IMO)

Best match - Hibs 4 - Rangers 0 (not a tough choice it has to be said - although the NY derby was fun)

Fenriz
30-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Don't want to clutter up the board with yet another MNF topic, so just to say that this week's show is now available on iTunes, and here: https://m.mixcloud.com/RSaltire/monday-night-fitba-new-year-derby-preview-291214/

Am pondering my end of year votes. To my eternal regret, I had to work on Saturday and so gave my Season Ticket to my brother. Therefor, my choices will not reflect the exuberance of the final game of the season:violin:

Fenriz
31-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Thought today would be a good day for looking back at the year!

Best goal - I'm going to choose a strange one and say Danny Handling's against Rangers in the Petrofac cup. Good (rather than spectacular) goal, and I know we lost, it's more about what that game represented. A lot of us really didn't know what kind of team we'd be coming back to after the Summer- that game showed that there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

Notable mention- unfortunately- for Ozturk's goal in the last derby. I, like everyone else, wandered out of Easter Road in bewilderment that day. I remember listening to a few people on their mobiles going 'I can't believe the goal I've just seen!' Sadly, given the timing and context of the goal, it's one that will be remembered for a while to come, and is one you could almost imagine applauding against a different team in different circumstances.

Another notable mention- I know from watching the highlights that I will be kicking myself forever for missing Scott Robertson's goal on Saturday!

Breakthrough player - This is a weird one for Hibs. It really should go to Sam Stanton, but after a lot of initial promise he and a lot of the other younger players have kind of faded into the background. With that in mind, I'm going to vote for Jason Cummings, despite his occasional inconsistencies. He's cemented his place in the squad, added a swagger to the side that's been sorely missing over the last few years, and has scored some really memorable goals.

Best signing - Scott Allan. I was slightly hesitant because I feel he might not be here for an extended period of time, but he's a player that's a real joy to watch- a real classy player with a bright future. Honourable mention for David. Gray as well, has had an immediate impact.

Funniest moment - Oxley goal vs Livingston. What a start to the season! Remember that he's also contributed a few assists since then as well :wink:

Flop of the year - Flop of all time has to go to Terry Butcher. Remembering back to 51 weeks ago, when we went 2-0 up at Tannadice shortly after winning the New Years derby, I thought that we'd really turned a corner. From then on, I don't think any other team in history has plummeted in such a fashion. The more I hear about the way he acted behind the scenes, the angrier I get with him. One one hand, I can't wait for another club to snap him up and take him off our wage bill- on the other, I honestly don't think he deserves another job in football after that display!

Best radio or tv pundit - Michael Stewart. Don't always agree with him, don't always like him, and think he goes out of his way to be awkward, but he's so much more interesting and insightful than the majority of dog toys that roll up onto BBC Scotland. Also think Steven Thompson has a pretty bright future as a pundit.

Best match - As I said above, I wasn't at the game on Saturday :boo hoo: so I will go for the 3-3 cup game against Dundee Utd. Despite losing, it was one of the most entertaining games I've been to at ER for years, and felt really proud of the team afterwards.

Hibernian Verse
31-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Being totally honest and keeping it within an Edinburgh context...

Best goal - Ozturk (that goal...)

Breakthrough player - Jason Cummings. He's not a world beater but the only 'breakthrough player' we've had this season.

Best signing - Scott Allan. Out of favour down South, seems to have really come on this season.

Funniest moment - Andreu equalising the tie in the 90th minute. Funny in the sense that it had been coming for years and if I didn't laugh I'd have been tearing.

Flop of the year - Step up Owain Tudor Jones.

Best radio or tv pundit - Mikey Stewart without a doubt.

Best match - Hibs 4-0 Rangers

Fenriz
31-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Funniest moment - Andreu equalising the tie in the 90th minute. Funny in the sense that it had been coming for years and if I didn't laugh I'd have been tearing.

If you're going for that sort of black humour, then I would also add the bizarre decision to play a recording fans singing 'Allez Allez Oh' over the tannoy while we were waiting for the penalty shootout. 'Funny' in a kind of 'what the hell is happening here!?' sense. We've been through quite a year!

DirtyDeeds
31-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Here we go....

Best goal - Ozturk. A painful admission given the circumstances of the game, but you just cant look past it. More miraculous given I feel he is an absolute dumpling of a centre-half, mixing some of the unwarranted confidence/swagger of a Gary Caldwell and sheer 'keek-yer-pants' unpredictability of Sol Bamba, whilst being nowhere near as good as either.

Breakthrough - Jason Cummings. Slim pickings for Hibs and, whilst most Hearts players began their exposure in 2013. There is much to admire regarding his potential, has shown the ability to score some great goals of varying types. If he adds some consistency and continues to develop his game awareness to match his confidence levels, we have a serious talent in our hands.

Best Signing - David Gray. Scott Allan has had immense spell over the last 6-8 weeks and is undeniably our biggest talent. However, Gray has settled in since day 1 and provided quality and consistency in a position that has haunted us for a number of seasons. Defensively solid, a huge asset in attack, and chipping in with big goals at big times, I think his greatest asset is the leadership he has brought to the group, something pathetically lacming last season. Always leads well in Craig's absence through attitude and deed, and I wouldnt be surprised that his presence on the park and dressing room has lifting a weight off Craig and contributed to his improved form.

Funniest moment - Hamilton equaliser. Sat with my Dad and brother and actually laughed out loud in complete disbelief and exasperation at what we were watching. Took me back to sitting at Hampden and Stack saving from a 1-on-1 vs Falkirk to stop them going 4-0 ahead, sitting thinking "IS THIS HAPPENING?"

Flop - Terry Butcher. No further comments to make.

Best Pundit - A category of underwhelming candidates that we're all so used to hearing from. Mikey Stewart has continued to have a refreshing, if divisive, opionion on mosts things and has capped a pretty stellar year with his relatively miraculous interview with Sam and Scott last week! Honourable mentions to Steven Thompson and Pat Nevin, although wee Pat's presence seems to be felt less at the moment.

Best match - 3-3 vs Dundee Utd. Simply the best game of football at Easter Rd for entertainment value since the Mowbray era. Both sides just seemed happy to go for it in a style that was so refreshing and gave optimism that we maybe did indeed have.the tools at our disposal to get out the early season 'funk' and make a genuine attempt at first-time promotion. Also a joy to see so many young Scottish players on the park with such technical proficiency and not at all inhibited to make use of their skills in a pressurised environment.

cabbageandribs1875
31-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Here we go....

Best goal - Ozturk. A painful admission given the circumstances of the game, but you just cant look past it. More miraculous given I feel he is an absolute dumpling of a centre-half, mixing some of the unwarranted confidence/swagger of a Gary Caldwell and sheer 'keek-yer-pants' unpredictability of Sol Bamba, whilst being nowhere near as good as either.

Breakthrough - Jason Cummings. Slim pickings for Hibs and, whilst most Hearts players began their exposure in 2013. There is much to admire regarding his potential, has shown the ability to score some great goals of varying types. If he adds some consistency and continues to develop his game awareness to match his confidence levels, we have a serious talent in our hands.

Best Signing - David Gray. Scott Allan has had immense spell over the last 6-8 weeks and is undeniably our biggest talent. However, Gray has settled in since day 1 and provided quality and consistency in a position that has haunted us for a number of seasons. Defensively solid, a huge asset in attack, and chipping in with big goals at big times, I think his greatest asset is the leadership he has brought to the group, something pathetically lacming last season. Always leads well in Craig's absence through attitude and deed, and I wouldnt be surprised that his presence on the park and dressing room has lifting a weight off Craig and contributed to his improved form.

Funniest moment - Hamilton equaliser. Sat with my Dad and brother and actually laughed out loud in complete disbelief and exasperation at what we were watching. Took me back to sitting at Hampden and Stack saving from a 1-on-1 vs Falkirk to stop them going 4-0 ahead, sitting thinking "IS THIS HAPPENING?"

careful now, rod petrie did almost the same thing and some punters on here rip him up for it accusing him of being 'smug' :rolleyes: i done the same facial expression myself

Bronson
31-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Best goal - David Gray v The Rangers, incredible strike in such an important game.

Breakthrough player - Jason Cummings, no contest.

Best signing - Scott Allan, just edging David Gray... just.

Funniest moment - Cowdenbeath player hitting the bar with an open goal at his mercy at ER. No one's really talked about it, but it was up there with the worst misses I've ever seen.

Flop of the year - Terry Butcher/Maurice Malpas, by quite some distance.

Best radio or tv pundit - Might not be a popular choice but Neil McCann for me. Michael Stewart a close second.

Best match - Hibs 4-0 The Rangers. No brainer, that.