PDA

View Full Version : Relegation

leithsansiro
29-12-2014, 09:56 AM
When we first appointed Butcher after the Pat Fenlon era, I was initially quite optimistic. Like everyone else though, I was horrified at the shocking way he and his mate wrecked our club and dragged us to relegation.

That said (and it is with an element of regret), I genuinely think relegation might have been the best thing that could've happened to us. We've cleaned out most of the deadwood journeymen that have clogged up our club for years. We've got a management team who have the freedom to try new things. We've got elements of the board that are doing things in the right way.

At the time, Cummings missing that penalty against Hamilton seemed devastating. Now, even discounting battering The Rangers, I feel relegation has helped us. If we'd stayed up, we'd still be languishing with Butcher and Malpas playing crap football and struggling in the lower mid table for seasons to come.

Being honest, looking at Hearts situation, their fans probably feel the same way about their situation.

The future's bright. The future's green.

PatHead
29-12-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't think Butcher and Malpas would have survived..

They simply didn't share the vision Leeann has and would have been emptied in any event. Don't think relegation can ever be seen as positive.

Allant1981
29-12-2014, 10:01 AM
If we get promotion then the majority will agree with you, another year in the 1st division and im not so sure. Id rather we had got shot of butcher and stayed in the premier. Hopefully though we will be in the premier next season

Brightside
29-12-2014, 10:06 AM
When we first appointed Butcher after the Pat Fenlon era, I was initially quite optimistic. Like everyone else though, I was horrified at the shocking way he and his mate wrecked our club and dragged us to relegation.

That said (and it is with an element of regret), I genuinely think relegation might have been the best thing that could've happened to us. We've cleaned out most of the deadwood journeymen that have clogged up our club for years. We've got a management team who have the freedom to try new things. We've got elements of the board that are doing things in the right way.

At the time, Cummings missing that penalty against Hamilton seemed devastating. Now, even discounting battering The Rangers, I feel relegation has helped us. If we'd stayed up, we'd still be languishing with Butcher and Malpas playing crap football and struggling in the lower mid table for seasons to come.

Being honest, looking at Hearts situation, their fans probably feel the same way about their situation.

If we hadn't have been relegated the changes wouldn't have been top to bottom. Butcher would have been given time to bring in his players and we'd have struggled along trying to get top 6. Relegation was the best thing that could have happened to us.

#FromTheCapital
29-12-2014, 10:08 AM
If we get promoted this season then I might say it's been a positive experience. Another season down here though and I think most of us will struggle to see any positivity in it. We were absolutely shambolic last season and I'd like to think that Butcher and Malpas would've got the sack even if we'd beat Hamilton in the play-offs

Baldy Foghorn
29-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Nothing positive in being relegated. For all we know LD may have made wholesale changes if we had stayed up....

Hibby Bairn
29-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Was having a game with my 13 yr old on Boxing Day trying to name players from last 5 years. Names like Deegan, Sodje, Agogo, Thornhill, Done, Soares, Doherty, Kujabi, Clancy and Hart came up.

Not sure whether relegation was necessarily best thing for club but in moving away from Calderwood and Fenlon through Butcher and onto Stubbs and squad and environment we have now it probably wouldn't have happened otherwise.

That **** for that.

leithsansiro
29-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Nothing positive in being relegated. For all we know LD may have made wholesale changes if we had stayed up....

Relegation gave her the mandate to do it in my opinion

Steve20
29-12-2014, 10:20 AM
If we don't get promoted, it's been a nightmare. Two years in the second tier is unacceptable.

jacomo
29-12-2014, 11:18 AM

There might be something in this. But for me the most important change was installing a coaching team who are professional and demand certain standards. A lot of the 'journeymen' from last season are still here, but are now working in the right way.

Sad that we needed relegation to show those in charge what was patently obvious to everyone else, if indeed that is the case.

Oh, and promotion remains an imperative for this season if this progress is to be maintained.

lord bunberry
29-12-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure Butcher would've been sacked had we stayed up, it's a bit frustrating that it takes years of decline to get us to a position were we make the changes that were needed years ago.

PatHead
29-12-2014, 11:32 AM
If we hadn't have been relegated the changes wouldn't have been top to bottom. Butcher would have been given time to bring in his players and we'd have struggled along trying to get top 6. Relegation was the best thing that could have happened to us.

No I don't agree. Think Leeann was doing a complete restructure- look at the training centre staff and youth set up. If he didn't buy in he would have been out the door. Remember he was sent away on holiday to come up with the way forward and was sacked on his return.

PatHead
29-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Don't think LD would have taken the job if she didn't have a mandate to do it anyway.

Don't want to think Butcher did anything positive for this club.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Very much this, even more so if we are still in the same division next season.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Relegation for any Hibs team can never be seen as a positive.

The outcome last season was, and still is, completely unacceptable and I would never describe it as a blessing in disguise or any other similar term, regardless of how we do this season.

emerald green
29-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Relegation is never a good thing for any football club. That's why clubs fight to avoid it.

Lago
29-12-2014, 02:59 PM

Agree it was most certainly the catalyst for the changes we are now seeing.

JHFC
29-12-2014, 04:27 PM
I only seeing it being a blessing in disguse because of how dreadful our team has got over the past 4/5 years. We shouldn't have dropped like that in the first place. We should see ourselves as a top 6 team every year. Onwards and upwards.. hopefully some exciting times ahead!

P.S. the game against rangers was the first time I've enjoyed myself at easter road in a long time. One of the best Hibs games ive been too!

tamig
29-12-2014, 05:05 PM

Agreed.

Andy74
29-12-2014, 05:20 PM

I think appointing Leeann was the main catalyst for the changes. We were promised radical changes in the way the club operates which we are now seeing. Relegation might have made sacking Butcher more obvious but who knows, she may have based it all on the fit with her plans.

I know this sounds daft but I think this team would be better suited to the top league and so with the current team and staff I think we would have been doing pretty well. Relegation has put doing well in the top league back by at least one year. An obvious point really.

Anyhow, my feeling is we would have seen positive improvement without having to drop down a league.

lyonhibs
29-12-2014, 05:27 PM
To be clear, there is, was and will never be anything positive with Hibernian FC being relegated.

Onion
29-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Had the people who were accountable for the club's sorry collapse over the last 7 years been dealt with properly (or done the proper thing) then I might have said relegation was a price worth paying, but they and he remains like a bad smell. Stubbs and the current bunch of players are starting to show positive signs but we've a long way to go yet.

29-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Relegation was an utter disaster, a real low point in the clubs history but if there was silver lining in it all it would have to be that it pushed the club into making huge, long over due changes that were desperately needed. If we had stayed up, Butcher and his sidekick would most likely still be here running a mock with the team.

We now have Stubbs who has built a team of players that are willing to fight for the jersey and actually seem to care about the club rather than Butchers bunch of useless, gutless nomarks.

Bronson
29-12-2014, 07:19 PM
I was thinking earlier how much relegation has been a blessing in disguise. Total clear out, starting to really get things right on and off the park and so far this has been one of, if not the most competitive, enjoyable seasons I've ever had as a hibs fan. We actually have something to fight for rather than just a league position behind Celtic. The buzz about going to hibs games is back, it's great.

Stringer
29-12-2014, 07:27 PM
It will be disappointing if we are in the championship for another year. If we go up with hearts the Prem could be interesting. Aberdeen and United are putting some decent pressure on Celtic. Think we might see a team other than Celtic win in the next few years

3pm
29-12-2014, 07:31 PM
To be clear, there is, was and will never be anything positive with Hibernian FC being relegated.

Nothing else required.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2014, 07:38 PM

:agree:

Pretty Boy
29-12-2014, 07:48 PM

In a nutshell.

The process of change was already in motion and relegation probably set it back a year or 2 if anything.