PDA

View Full Version : Targets

Islington Hibs
28-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Until yesterday I was resigned to another season in the Championship. To win the third/ forth place play off then beat The Rangers then win at Ross, or wherever, seemed somewhat improbable. However we are now just 4 points behind The Rangers, they are in crisis (again) and our confidence can only build. We have every chance of getting second and with it a much more credible crack at promotion. While it is too soon to get carried away it is game on. :flag:

Pretty Boy
28-12-2014, 07:01 PM
I said a few weeks back we would never win over the course of 6 play off games.

Now I think we have every chance of only needing 4 play off games but whether it is 4 or 6 then I have changed my mind, we have improved massively in the last couple of months and really should be aiming to get back up at the 1st time of asking, we are good enough to do so.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm slowly coming round to the idea that we will be playing Premiership football again next season.

Sevco are not to be feared, I fully expect us to win the last two matches against them.

It's the fixtures against the likes of Queen of the South and Falkirk that I'm less comfortable with. We have yet to beat either side this season and only have 1 point out of a possible 12 so far against both teams. If we had got those extra 11 points, we would be streets ahead of Sevco and would be breathing down the necks of Hearts.

We seem to be getting into our stride now which is good to see but there's still a long way to go. If we can get through to the final play off round against the Premiership side then I think we can do it. It would be a complete role reversal for us after last season. That team, whoever it is, would be low on confidence, whereas we would be on a high and looking to get promotion.

We just need to keep performing well and see where it takes us.

Baader
28-12-2014, 07:30 PM
We should look to take Rangers out of the equation. Avoiding an additional playoff suits us.

I'd still like to see how the Gorgie react to a first defeat. Surely they are due a sticky patch like we had earlier.

Just a pity we did not have Stubbs in earlier as we'd be closer to them.

SanFranHibs
28-12-2014, 08:01 PM
We should look to take Rangers out of the equation. Avoiding an additional playoff suits us.

I'd still like to see how the Gorgie react to a first defeat. Surely they are due a sticky patch like we had earlier.

Just a pity we did not have Stubbs in earlier as we'd be closer to them.

Just a pity we never had him last season.

However, we can only concentrate on taking care of business this year and I am confident we can keep improving but still not taking anything for granted. Even allowing for the Rangers desperate financial situation, IF they are still in business in May I can't believe they will still have that sorry bunch playing for them, or the same caretaker manager.

It is a pity we are so far behind Hearts as I believe we will keep improving but after our next, even if we win, we will be 16 points behind them and it seems too big a mountain to climb.

There is absolutely NO reason that this team, without getting complacent or arrogant, should not be confident of beating anyone in this league. Next Saturday is a big test! We should have beaten them last time. We could have beaten them the first time if we had scored the penalty and kept 11 men on the pitch and that was when we were not playing half as well as we are now.

If we come out with the same confidence and continue to create chances I think we will win.

:flag:

Sir David Gray
28-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Just a pity we never had him last season.

However, we can only concentrate on taking care of business this year and I am confident we can keep improving but still not taking anything for granted. Even allowing for the Rangers desperate financial situation, IF they are still in business in May I can't believe they will still have that sorry bunch playing for them, or the same caretaker manager.

It is a pity we are so far behind Hearts as I believe we will keep improving but after our next, even if we win, we will be 16 points behind them and it seems too big a mountain to climb.

There is absolutely NO reason that this team, without getting complacent or arrogant, should not be confident of beating anyone in this league. Next Saturday is a big test! We should have beaten them last time. We could have beaten them the first time if we had scored the penalty and kept 11 men on the pitch and that was when we were not playing half as well as we are now.

If we come out with the same confidence and continue to create chances I think we will win.

:flag:

The good news is that they can't afford to bring in a proper manager or bring in any new players.

Haymaker
28-12-2014, 08:12 PM

Especially if that first defeat is against us on their home turf. :agree:

Onion
28-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Weird thing is, there are very few players in the Sevco side that would get a game for Hibs.

And the Huns think it's only a mater of getting back into the Prem before they're going at it toe to toe with Celtic :greengrin

Sir David Gray
28-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Weird thing is, there are very few players in the Sevco side that would get a game for Hibs.

And the Huns think it's only a mater of getting back into the Prem before they're going at it toe to toe with Celtic :greengrin

I wouldn't replace any of our players with any of Sevco's players.

PatHead
28-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Said that at the game yesterday. Only 2 are Wallace and Law. Law would only be a squad player at that.

oneone73
28-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Said that at the game yesterday. Only 2 are Wallace and Law. Law would only be a squad player at that.

I'd have Darren McGregor. Decent back-up for Fontaine and/or Gray. Wouldn't be a starter though.

Islington Hibs
29-12-2014, 08:07 AM
An interesting outside bet and I don't want to tempt fait is Hibs for the cup at 22-1 with Sky bet. Sure Celtic are clear favourites but we should get into the quarters - Aberdeen and Hearts are out, I don't fear Rangers, we have already given Dundee Utd a pretty good game and there are still some tiddlers left so it is far form impossible that there could be an easy draw to the semi's Further Celtic away to Dundee is no cert for them. I don't expect us to win it but at 22- why not?

erin go bragh
29-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Especially if that first defeat is against us on their home turf. :agree:

Defo . Remember The Rangers were well on top at the PBS till they got a man sent off . Lets take at least 4 of that lot and give them another first foot to remember .

Ggtth

CalgaryHibs
29-12-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm slowly coming round to the idea that we will be playing Premiership football again next season.

Sevco are not to be feared, I fully expect us to win the last two matches against them.

It's the fixtures against the likes of Queen of the South and Falkirk that I'm less comfortable with. We have yet to beat either side this season and only have 1 point out of a possible 12 so far against both teams. If we had got those extra 11 points, we would be streets ahead of Sevco and would be breathing down the necks of Hearts.

We seem to be getting into our stride now which is good to see but there's still a long way to go. If we can get through to the final play off round against the Premiership side then I think we can do it. It would be a complete role reversal for us after last season. That team, whoever it is, would be low on confidence, whereas we would be on a high and looking to get promotion.

We just need to keep performing well and see where it takes us.
-----
Well said totally agree with you mate !

bob12345
30-12-2014, 12:17 AM
It's too unrealistic to be predicting where Rangers will be in six months time. They could continue in this downward spiral or they could get their act together on the pitch under the right manager. On paper, they should have the best team in the league - they've cherry picked strong players from Premiership teams. They're a mess on and off the pitch right now and with that has went their players' belief. Let's just keep concentrating on one game at a time and racking up the points.

monktonharp
30-12-2014, 01:03 AM
I thought we were bound to improve by this time this year (we have) and I predicted that the gorgie mob would have a relapse, come Christmas. ok, it's not happened but they only need a couple of setbacks, to suddenly set alarm bells ringing. 18 games to go, c'mon the hibees.