PDA

View Full Version : Bodies in the box

wookie70
28-12-2014, 05:17 PM
I watched the goals again having only seen them at the game and through some relatively thick beer goggles. What struck me was the runs from deep and the shear desire for players to get into the oppositions box. When Grays shot hits the back of the net we had 3 players on the edge and Molonga and Cummings exactly where they should be around the penalty spot. The more I watch the second the more it is my favourite. When Craig knocks it back he and two others are in the 6 yard box and there are a good few on the edge of the box. Robertson hits the net and Molonga and Cummings around the penalty spot again. Craig scores and 3 in the box and one on the edge.

Having midfielders and full backs who are making runs past forwards allows our strikers to stay central and pulls centre halves out of position. The shape of the team yesterday was as good as I have seen for ages and at last we have a system which allows us to get men forward and in the areas where goals are scored. I want to see Jason Cummings spend much more time in the oppositions 6 yard box and that will only happen if the full backs and midfielder get to the bye line.

Was there a change of tactics yesterday or is it just players feeling more comfortable and playing with confidence. Whatever the reason more of the same against the Poppy Thieves.

heretoday
28-12-2014, 07:07 PM
I watched the goals again having only seen them at the game and through some relatively thick beer goggles. What struck me was the runs from deep and the shear desire for players to get into the oppositions box. When Grays shot hits the back of the net we had 3 players on the edge and Molonga and Cummings exactly where they should be around the penalty spot. The more I watch the second the more it is my favourite. When Craig knocks it back he and two others are in the 6 yard box and there are a good few on the edge of the box. Robertson hits the net and Molonga and Cummings around the penalty spot again. Craig scores and 3 in the box and one on the edge.

Having midfielders and full backs who are making runs past forwards allows our strikers to stay central and pulls centre halves out of position. The shape of the team yesterday was as good as I have seen for ages and at last we have a system which allows us to get men forward and in the areas where goals are scored. I want to see Jason Cummings spend much more time in the oppositions 6 yard box and that will only happen if the full backs and midfielder get to the bye line.

Was there a change of tactics yesterday or is it just players feeling more comfortable and playing with confidence. Whatever the reason more of the same against the Poppy Thieves. Good post.

Onion
28-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Was there a change of tactics yesterday or is it just players feeling more comfortable and playing with confidence. Whatever the reason more of the same against the Poppy Thieves.

Agreed. The 4th goal was a great example with Craig starting the move in the Hibs half and making the 40 yd run to volley it sweetly into the sorry Hun-infested net :greengrin

snooky
28-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Agreed. The 4th goal was a great example with Craig starting the move in the Hibs half and making the 40 yd run to volley it sweetly into the sorry Hun-infested net :greengrin

Roberston's goal was of a similar ilk.

Big change in tactics/attitude reaped it's own rewards.
"He who dares wins" - SAS motto