PDA

View Full Version : Apologies to alan

B'Briggs Hibee
28-12-2014, 10:11 AM
I will be the first to admit that when AS first came to us I was VERY underwhelmed but now I hold my hand up and say I was wrong. By no means is he perfect or the Messiah but the difference is quite staggering to last year. Even Liam said we have a fantastic management team. Says it all really!

Weststandwanab
28-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Well done for saying so.

I suspect you will not be alone.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm very encouraged by what the players are saying about the management team and about how much they're enjoying training etc.

The football we're playing this season is, by and large, very positive and forward thinking. However, at the moment we haven't achieved anything.

After yesterday, I'm very hopeful of finishing 2nd and being promoted this season through the play offs. We need to get back into the Premiership, which is where a club the size of Hibs belongs.

I believe that Alan Stubbs is the man to take the club forward but we're only half way through the season. We need to keep this run going and that starts next week at Tynecastle. If we can beat Hearts next week, that would be a huge statement of intent that the club really means business.

There's a long way to go in our road to recovery but the signs are good and I believe we may finally have the people in the dugout who are capable of taking this club to where it should be.

28-12-2014, 06:01 PM
I was the same I must confess. When we appointed Stubbs I was pretty underwhelmed, he was someone I had never heard of before and had never been a manager before so can say I was mega excited over his appointment. But in fairness he has made some brilliant signings in Allan, Grey, Malonga, Fontaine and even Kennedy even though he hasn't had too much of a chance yet. He's got us playing some really exciting, attacking football and has brought some heart and fight back into the team again as well as some team spirit and morale.

Well done Stubbsy, keep up the good work and thank you for bringing a feel good factor back to ER. Still work to be done but I believe we are definatly on the right tracks!

Turkish Green
28-12-2014, 06:14 PM
The jury is still out for me. AS has proved that he can put out a team that can beat Sevco but so can Barry Smith at Part-time Alloa. Consistency is still missing but I hope to be changing my mind come teatime on 3rd January.

Vault Boy
28-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I can't say I was particularly underwhelmed by the appointment of Stubbs, but by no means was I inspired either, it was a case of being so disullusioned that I really didn't expect anything. Certainly now I am more optimistic about our future than in recent years, and for the first time in a long time I feel proud of our playing and coaching staff. The changes seen since the acquisition of Dempster and the appointment of Alan have been hugely positive, there's a lot more work to be done, but finally we have good justification to believe that the staff at the club are the right people for the job.

Onion
28-12-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm very encouraged by what the players are saying about the management team and about how much they're enjoying training etc.

The football we're playing this season is, by and large, very positive and forward thinking. However, at the moment we haven't achieved anything.

After yesterday, I'm very hopeful of finishing 2nd and being promoted this season through the play offs. We need to get back into the Premiership, which is where a club the size of Hibs belongs.

I believe that Alan Stubbs is the man to take the club forward but we're only half way through the season. We need to keep this run going and that starts next week at Tynecastle. If we can beat Hearts next week, that would be a huge statement of intent that the club really means business.

There's a long way to go in our road to recovery but the signs are good and I believe we may finally have the people in the dugout who are capable of taking this club to where it should be.

Don't care what the players say in the press, it's 100% what they do on the park that matters. And yesterday showed they play as a team, have a game plan, better balance from back to front, and a bit of confidence. These were all sadly missing last season, so credit must go to Stubbs for that alone. Long way to go, but definitely heading in the right direction :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
28-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Don't care what the players say in the press, it's 100% what they do on the park that matters. And yesterday showed they play as a team, have a game plan, better balance from back to front, and a bit of confidence. These were all sadly missing last season, so credit must go to Stubbs for that alone. Long way to go, but definitely heading in the right direction :thumbsup:

You've picked me up wrong.

I'm not talking about what the players are saying they're going to do etc. I personally couldn't care less about that either.

I'm talking about what the players are saying about Stubbs and his training methods and man management skills. Any article I've read from any of the players has been raving about him and it's great to hear.

SMAXXA
28-12-2014, 08:34 PM
The jury is still out for me. AS has proved that he can put out a team that can beat Sevco but so can Barry Smith at Part-time Alloa. Consistency is still missing but I hope to be changing my mind come teatime on 3rd January.

i,certainly won't be judging him after the hearts game. He's shown enough for me already to know we are on the right track regardless of the outcome next week.

Ricky Bobby
28-12-2014, 08:48 PM
I have to admit that i was one of those that were less convinced, and posted as much after the draw to Dumbarton at home in October. While we were dominating play in a lot of games we were not not creating or taking nearly enough chances.
I think that the games against Livi away and 'Them' at home turned things around in that after those games there was more of a belief that we are a decent side and the midfield players now seem to be taking far more responsibility.
Stubbs deserves great credit in sticking to the way he wants to play the game. I have never been sack the manager at the drop of a hat type of supporter but i was becoming very frustrated, which was more to do with performances over previous seasons getting us into this position. So i am glad i was wrong and am sure it's onwards and upwards from here.

:gwa:

Northernhibee
28-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Watched highlights of a couple of games from late on last season under Butcher just there to just see how far we've progressed and it's unreal how much we've improved. Absolutely unreal and Stubbsy deserves all the credit in the world for the work he's done so far.

Andy74
28-12-2014, 10:05 PM
The next time we lose I suspect all will be wrong with the world again.

Falkirk wasn't that long ago.

Bishop Hibee
28-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Stubbs signings have been good. Our problem has been breaking down teams that put 11 men behind the ball. I thinlk he would have played 3-5-2 if Forster was fit giving us more width. When we get all the squad fit we have nothing to fear of the play offs on Saturday's form.

bigwheel
28-12-2014, 10:14 PM
The next time we lose I suspect all will be wrong with the world again.

Falkirk wasn't that long ago.

That is so true ...after every defeat , the tone changes ...intact , we could win to the end of the season ...and get pipped in the play off final by a bad decision , and there will be a 20 page "Stubbs must go " thread within hours ....

Fragile fans ...anyway , for now I'm just enjoying watching a football team I'm proud to watch ...long may it continue ...

Forza Fred
28-12-2014, 10:36 PM
After seeing so many managerial flops one after another, any early judgement would have been wrong.

There was a time after a run of poor results that the fickle finger of fate was close to beng pointed at Stubbs and his back room staff, and there is absolutely no doubt that he made mistakes.

However like us all in a new post, he appears to have learned from those mistakes and seems to finally have us on the right track.

However as someone pointed out three or so defeats in a row could have us lose the feeling of warmth and cuddliest that we currently enjoy.:greengrin

Football fans by their very nature are a fickle bunch, but he enjoys the confidence of the vast majority at the moment, and if we beat the Hertz, will be the best thing since cold beer.

matty_f
29-12-2014, 12:49 AM
i,certainly won't be judging him after the hearts game. He's shown enough for me already to know we are on the right track regardless of the outcome next week.

Spot on. I think collectively we as a support underestimated the scale of the work that needed done at Hibs, not just on the park but right through the club.

The seeds were sown and I think we are seeing the rewards starting to come through. Be under no illusions though, we are still some way off the finished article and so there will be blips, but I definitely believe that we are on the right path with the right people doing the right things.

JimBHibees
29-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Spot on. I think collectively we as a support underestimated the scale of the work that needed done at Hibs, not just on the park but right through the club.

The seeds were sown and I think we are seeing the rewards starting to come through. Be under no illusions though, we are still some way off the finished article and so there will be blips, but I definitely believe that we are on the right path with the right people doing the right things.

Couldn't agree more in a very short space of time he and others have had to completely overhaul the football structure. It will always be more long term however the positive signs are very clear. As you say there will be blips and he could do with a few ins and outs next month to strengthen the squad however he is IMO doing a cracking job.

SlickShoes
29-12-2014, 06:56 AM
We have been consistently decent for a while now, the start to the season was horrific though. I agree with whoever said we as fans probably under estimated just how bad things were.

As much as things are clearly better I still think our chances of going up are not great now,Mir we can keep this team together and actually build something I would be happy with that. We have a great starting 11 but beyond that we are still pretty weak.

Steve20
29-12-2014, 07:38 AM
We are certainly playing far far better. But he needs to win promotion to be called a success.

PeeJay
29-12-2014, 07:47 AM
While an excellent result, playing well against "Rangers" is not enough to convince me (most of our previous managers had similar results, and against better Rangers teams). We have to be more professional and more consistent - the campaign and team performances have been anything but consistently acceptable/successful so far, particularly against "lesser" teams. This is ONLY the Championship and a once "down and out" Hearts team is strolling the league.

Meanwhile in the SPFL, Aberdeen are mounting a serious challenge for the league. Fans claiming we may need another season to go up reflect only how low this club has sunk. A manager who has struggled to setup a team or change it to beat part timers will need to do a lot more to convince me that he can take us back into the SPFL and enable us to challenge for top spots in that league ... no doubt the Hearts game will show us if we are indeed making slight steps forward ... it'll be interesting to see how he cope with a "high-flying" team on their home patch, 3 points would be excellent. There's lots of bread & butter games and points still to be won though, that's where Stubbs has to get this "team" consistently playing as a team, for each other.

So that's a "no apology yet" from me, I guess ....

whiskyhibby
29-12-2014, 09:29 AM

You might be right, but I don't remember Alloa taking 4 off them...........or playing them completely off the park, but if it's just results that you are interested in then that's a valid comment

JimBHibees
29-12-2014, 09:39 AM
While an excellent result, playing well against "Rangers" is not enough to convince me (most of our previous managers had similar results, and against better Rangers teams). We have to be more professional and more consistent - the campaign and team performances have been anything but consistently acceptable/successful so far, particularly against "lesser" teams. This is ONLY the Championship and a once "down and out" Hearts team is strolling the league.

Meanwhile in the SPFL, Aberdeen are mounting a serious challenge for the league. Fans claiming we may need another season to go up reflect only how low this club has sunk. A manager who has struggled to setup a team or change it to beat part timers will need to do a lot more to convince me that he can take us back into the SPFL and enable us to challenge for top spots in that league ... no doubt the Hearts game will show us if we are indeed making slight steps forward ... it'll be interesting to see how he cope with a "high-flying" team on their home patch, 3 points would be excellent. There's lots of bread & butter games and points still to be won though, that's where Stubbs has to get this "team" consistently playing as a team, for each other.

So that's a "no apology yet" from me, I guess ....

Dear oh dear. The quality of the football is night and day. Your grudging non-praise is quite dull.

bigwheel
29-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Yes , one defeat in about 14 games really leaves a question mark over consistency ;-)