PDA

View Full Version : Danny handling

bingo70
27-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I've been going bonkers ever since he got that 4 year deal but credit where it's due I thought he was good today. Not spectacular but I thought he at least tried things, some of which came off, some didn't. My biggest criticism of him is that he plays it too safe too often but I don't think he was guilty of that today.

He needs to keep it up and give that sort of performance against the more established sides, not just the newly promoted clubs. If he can then he might just win me over.

(Still think his 4 year deal is crazy)

Brightside
27-12-2014, 05:11 PM
I've been going bonkers ever since he got that 4 year deal but credit where it's due I thought he was good today. Not spectacular but I thought he at least tried things, some of which came off, some didn't. My biggest criticism of him is that he plays it too safe too often but I don't think he was guilty of that today.

He needs to keep it up and give that sort of performance against the more established sides, not just the newly promoted clubs. If he can then he might just win me over.

(Still think his 4 year deal is crazy)

Good man. He'll be a very important player for us over the next 4/5 years.

27-12-2014, 05:13 PM
I must confess, I've often been quite critical of Handling, I feel he doesn't get himself involved enough and is often easily bullied off the ball but in all fairness to the guy I thought he had a good game today!

davym7062
27-12-2014, 05:13 PM
i thought he was outstanding today especially in the 1st half. always looking for the ball :flag:

bingo70
27-12-2014, 05:17 PM
i thought he was outstanding today especially in the 1st half. always looking for the ball :flag:

I think he always looks for the ball but he normally just lays it off to someone 10-15 yards deeper, today there was a few times he turned with the ball and made a probing pass. I remember being delighted when a hun cut one out cos I was pleased he at least tried to make a dangerous pass.

Brightside
27-12-2014, 05:21 PM
I think he always looks for the ball but he normally just lays it off to someone 10-15 yards deeper, today there was a few times he turned with the ball and made a probing pass. I remember being delighted when a hun cut one out cos I was pleased he at least tried to make a dangerous pass.

The main thing is he gets into positions to be an out ball....so we retain possession. Ive no issue with passes going back or side ways. Keep the ball - win the game.

bingo70
27-12-2014, 05:36 PM
The main thing is he gets into positions to be an out ball....so we retain possession. Ive no issue with passes going back or side ways. Keep the ball - win the game.

I was reluctant to respond to this as I don't want to turn it into a negative thread but I think what you've described is fine for a defensive midfielder, not a forward or the attacking midfielder playing behind strikers that we need to create.

Handling deserves credit for today's performance but he needs to start making more of an impact in tight games against the poorer sides.

hibee_girl
27-12-2014, 05:41 PM
I thought he had a great game today, he looked much stronger as he usually gets shoved off the ball quite easily but today he held his own against them.

Jdawg
27-12-2014, 05:43 PM
I was reluctant to respond to this as I don't want to turn it into a negative thread but I think what you've described is fine for a defensive midfielder, not a forward or the attacking midfielder playing behind strikers that we need to create.

Handling deserves credit for today's performance but he needs to start making more of an impact in tight games against the poorer sides.

It's fine for any player on the pitch, not just a DM. IF you have the ball the opposition CANT score. Sometimes 1 step back is 2 steps forward.

marinello59
27-12-2014, 05:50 PM
It's fine for any player on the pitch, not just a DM. IF you have the ball the opposition CANT score. Sometimes 1 step back is 2 steps forward.

Exactly.
The more I watch Handling the more I like what he does.

bingo70
27-12-2014, 05:52 PM

Nah, that's not what a forward is there for especially in tight games when you're drawing or getting beat.

Anyway this thread is going the way I didn't want it to so I'm going to bow out and slate Lewis Stevenson on a different thread.

Feel free to respond and have the last word.....

Scorrie
27-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I thought he had a great game today, he looked much stronger as he usually gets shoved off the ball quite easily but today he held his own against them.

Was it not Danny who shouldered Black to the ground early on? Showed real strength and set the tone for the rest of the game IMO. Thought he played well today

Winston Ingram
27-12-2014, 06:39 PM

Agree with this Bingo. He was definitely better today.

Dirkster23
27-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Was it not Danny who shouldered Black to the ground early on? Showed real strength and set the tone for the rest of the game IMO. Thought he played well today

It was Scott Allan.

renato
27-12-2014, 07:52 PM
It was Scott Allan.

That "challenge" was the driver for Ian Black to throw the toys out the pram and start thumping anyone that came within range of him. He got completely rattled and it was most amusing watching him self destruct! Allan and Handling took the Michael out of him on quite a few occasions.

renato
27-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Nah, that's not what a forward is there for especially in tight games when you're drawing or getting beat.

Anyway this thread is going the way I didn't want it to so I'm going to bow out and slate Lewis Stevenson on a different thread.

Feel free to respond and have the last word.....

I get what you're saying here Bingo. I would say the key is decision making and getting it "right" 90% of time, as in choosing when it's most appropriate to drive forward and take a risky pass and when to retain possession and conserve energy / tire out the opposition's pressing game.

Scott Allan is the perfect role model for Danny in this instance, he instinctively knows when the World Cup pass or the square ball is on and appropriate.

Jack
28-12-2014, 10:30 AM
I think much of his confidence and composure yesterday will have come from getting the man of the match award a couple of weeks ago ; -)

Jdawg
28-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Feel free to respond and have the last word..... not trying to have the last word, just my opinion. You don't always attack, a better option can be to create a better goal scoring chance by going back the way.

The goal yesterday where Hanlon pinged it to lewis, rather then just attack or go down the ring and cross, it came right across park to Gray, one touch pass to malonga then crossed back to the left, cut back, goal.

An utterly fantastic goal by keeping possession. All the goals were fantastic yesterday, an absolute joy to watch.

SunshineOnLeith
28-12-2014, 11:19 AM
It was Scott Allan.

I think they both had a turn at ruining Black to be fair!

I think playing alongside Allan is helping Danny a lot because he clearly tries to copy some of his style of play. Agree with the OP that my criticism of him has been based in him not taking risks or taking responsibility in matches but he's improving with every game now. I don't mind if he shoots wide or an ambitious through ball doesn't come off, I'd rather he tried those things than turned on his heel and rolled a 5 yard pass to Liam Craig.

GreenArmy1875
28-12-2014, 11:49 AM
I think Danny is the type of player if its not on, dont play it. I like that and it suits stubbs style. If we had both Handling and Allan trying the world cup passes we would lose the ball far to often. Yeah when they come off it looks brilliant but not all the time. Keep the ball the other team cant score. I think he has grown into a first team player well and his technical ability is brilliant at times.

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Handling deserves credit for today's performance but he needs to start making more of an impact in tight games against the poorer sides.Like scoring against Livi and Alloa perhaps.