PDA

View Full Version : Malonga and other observations

97hills
27-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Back in Edinburgh for Christmas. Last game I saw was under Butcher and what a difference! Couldn't believe the change in players like Craig and Robertson. The amount of movement, out balls and composure on the ball was just magnificent.

However, there's still a couple of negative comments on here and I was hearing a couple within the ground. I've come back on what I would think is the best performance in years so I'm not in the best position to judge but Handling and Malonga seem to be the main targets. Handling did have a quiet game today but I think he did everything that was asked of him and put in a shift which definitely allowed Allan to have a bit more freedom.

The main difference in what I see is with Malonga. He looks an absolutely brilliant player to me! The ease with which he takes in the play and spreads it about was great to watch. I think he may get some bad reviews on here because he doesn't play in the way you expect but having someone who drops into the pockets, picks up the ball and moves it on to on to the players in space is so important in the system being played. Now he's nowhere near the standard, but he plays in a similar way to Berbatov. He seems to drift in and out of the game but I would love to see all the positions he picked up the ball today.

Nevertheless, I realise the small irony of being negative about the people that are being negative but was just trying to give a fresh point of view because I thought he was one of the best players on the park today for the first 60 or 70 mins.

Most importantly though, well done Hibs and Alan Stubbs, I thought it was going and long time before I saw a performance like that at Easter Road!!

Hibby Bairn
27-12-2014, 04:09 PM
The fact that Allan always looked to try and play the ball into Malonga tells you he is a good player. His first touch is excellent.

Waxy
27-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Malongas first touch is first class, also distributes very well. He would have had Cummings clean through had Cummings been fully alert first half.

truehibernian
27-12-2014, 04:18 PM
What Malonga does it make things look effortless even when play is raging on........sides need players who are both good and composed.......sometimes you'd need to check DM has a pulse he is so laid back.

The critics will label him lazy and not trying - however he lets JC do a lot of that 'lone striker' type work, which open up play and he can play off centre halves and find space....as someone said an ideal target for McGeouch and Allan to find in space. He does however need a partner up top who is energetic, and I think Cummings has been excellent this season.

hibsbollah
27-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Watch Malonga making an erse of his marker again and again. His off the ball stuff is a joy to watch. Doesn't get the credit he deserves. Eleven goals in 15 or something?

AlbertK86
27-12-2014, 04:21 PM
What Malonga does it make things look effortless even when play is raging on........sides need players who are both good and composed.......sometimes you'd need to check DM has a pulse he is so laid back. The critics will label him lazy and not trying - however he lets JC do a lot of that 'lone striker' type work, which open up play and he can play off centre halves and find space....as someone said an ideal target for McGeouch and Allan to find in space. He does however need a partner up top who is energetic, and I think Cummings has been excellent this season.

When big Farid returns they will be some partnership

jane_says
27-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Malonga's first touch can be a joy at times, even if he's not going to kill the ball dead, he'll touch it into space so it gives him time to control it. Touch while running towards his own goal is magnificent too. Cummings will hopefully be learning a lot from him as I think that's an area he could improve, he always seems to take the same kind of touch, even if it's towards opposition players.

He's obviously going to take some stick as he drifts out of games but I think he's magnificent. Would have been delighted if he had scored today.

Did anyone notice he had a total beamer when the East was singing doo-do-dooo...

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Thought Malonga played a little deeper today. Really good showing.

truehibernian
27-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Malonga's first touch can be a joy at times, even if he's not going to kill the ball dead, he'll touch it into space so it gives him time to control it. Touch while running towards his own goal is magnificent too. Cummings will hopefully be learning a lot from him as I think that's an area he could improve, he always seems to take the same kind of touch, even if it's towards opposition players.

He's obviously going to take some stick as he drifts out of games but I think he's magnificent. Would have been delighted if he had scored today.

Did anyone notice he had a total beamer when the East was singing doo-do-dooo...

Jason will also be scoring a lot of goals similar to today and last week - when you play with full backs that are being told to get up with play as often as possible then at times you'll have 4 v 4 which means Malonga can peel off and leave Jason free in the 6 yard box.

A lot of our goals this season have to also acknowedge the tireless work ethic of Lewis and David Gray. Lewis always seems to not get the plaudits but I thought he was immense yet again, total consistency. Gray is different class at times.

bingo70
27-12-2014, 04:35 PM
I thought that was one of malongas best performances today, thought he was superb.

Hibernia&Alba
27-12-2014, 04:39 PM
I thought that was one of malongas best performances today, thought he was superb.

That's football and opinions for you. I thought he looked a yard slower than the rest of the team. Then again, he's a goalscorer who can also hold the ball up, and who, if he had work rate as well, probably wouldn't be at Hibs. For the Scottish Championship you won't get many better.

Onion
27-12-2014, 04:48 PM
First game of the season for me and hugely impressed. Yes, The Rangers were poor but what struck me was the sharp interplay between Hibs players, first time passing :shocked: and composure on the ball. It was football, but not as we've come to know it at ER in the last few years.

Scott Allan was the clear standout on the pitch. Jees, he was inventive, positive, composed, attacking, creative..... everything that Hibs lacked last season in midfield. With Oxley, Fontaine, Allan and Malonga looks like Stubbs has built a decent spine through the team.. at last !

Been a long time since I enjoyed a match so much at ER :aok:

rcarter1
27-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Malonga was great, and showed he is more than just a goal scorer. Will be interesting when Mcgeough, Forster and El Alagui are added to the squad. Great performance by all today, another on the third would be a real treat!

:flag:

Keith_M
27-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Sorry to be negative but I have to report a complaint from the Missus, who unexpectedly joined me at the game today. She said it was really inconsiderate for Hibs to score so early when she was still trying to eat her Chips.

There you go, complaint made.

:wink:

Deansy
27-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Watch Malonga making an erse of his marker again and again. His off the ball stuff is a joy to watch. Doesn't get the credit he deserves. Eleven goals in 15 or something?

Believe it or not, watching Malonga today reminded me of a game George Best played for us against them - they tried every dirty-trick going trying to get the ball from him but failed for the entire game ! Iirc, Best was actually booked for intentionally handling the ball - Derek Johnstone was kicking lumps out of him in the centre-circle as he tried to get the ball - GB stopped, picked up the ball and handed it to Johnstone as if to say 'Here, if you want it that much' - sheer-magic !!

Whalemeister
27-12-2014, 07:38 PM
I thought Malonga had a good game today, I'm sure Stubbs will be happy with his overall performance.

ancient hibee
27-12-2014, 07:47 PM
That's football and opinions for you. I thought he looked a yard slower than the rest of the team. Then again, he's a goalscorer who can also hold the ball up, and who, if he had work rate as well, probably wouldn't be at Hibs. For the Scottish Championship you won't get many better.

As you say opinions.If you have a recording of the game you will see that he is involved all the time -is constantly finding space for himself or taking defenders out wide so that midfielders can come through the middle and score-is involved in nearly every passing movement-frequently comes short to pick up the ball at the half way line to make sure we keep possession and you don't think he has work rate-whatever that means?

Sir David Gray
27-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Sorry to be negative but I have to report a complaint from the Missus, who unexpectedly joined me at the game today. She said it was really inconsiderate for Hibs to score so early when she was still trying to eat her Chips.

There you go, complaint made.

:wink:

Dear Mr Keekaboo

I note your complaint dated 27th December and would like to assure you that all complaints of this nature will be forwarded onto the players and coaching staff of Sevco FC for their general *****ness this afternoon.

We're sorry to hear that your wife didn't enjoy eating her chips as much as she should have done because of the early goals today. As a way of compensation, we have tried to arrange for someone at Sevco to give your wife a voucher for a free poke of chips, if she decides to attend the next hammering of Sevco at Ibrox in February. However since they currently don't have a pot to piss in and are currently trying to get together several thousand pounds to pay for the damage that their fans did to our seats this afternoon, they have unfortunately declined our request.

Once again, please accept our apologies and next time we play them, we promise your wife that we'll instruct our players to wait until at least 10 minutes have passed before scoring our first goal.

Until next time, please find attached a quick summary of today's highlights and try your hardest not to pish yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZHuhUGe-M

Kind Regards

A. wind-up

truehibernian
27-12-2014, 07:58 PM
As you say opinions.If you have a recording of the game you will see that he is involved all the time -is constantly finding space for himself or taking defenders out wide so that midfielders can come through the middle and score-is involved in nearly every passing movement-frequently comes short to pick up the ball at the half way line to make sure we keep possession and you don't think he has work rate-whatever that means?

Good post - which is why I always ask fans to watch games back and watch Danny Handling. Same argument - the work off the ball and game intelligence means it makes other players 'play' - Danny's running and link up play is often overlooked, and hasten to add is a new dimension to his game as he was never a attacking midfield player or a link player.

There is a lot that fans, including myself, miss at games and when you watch back you think 'yep, I got that wrong' - Paul Hanlon is a case in point for me. Never ever rated him, even up until last season (beginning) I would have happily seen him go - but I watched a few games back, including defeats, and his off the ball leadership and positioning improved us at the back no end when he played. I think with Paul he needs to add a nasty streak but that doesn't at all come naturally to a human being. Even in sport. But he has absolutely changed my opinion of him as a footballer. He improves as the seasons go on. And he is still young.

EskbankHibby
27-12-2014, 08:02 PM

Absolutely spot on, made a point of watching his movement last week and he is exceptional.

Midfielders have also clearly been told to 'ping it' to him as his touch is brilliant when linking from midfield.

hibsbollah
27-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Absolutely spot on, made a point of watching his movement last week and he is exceptional.

Midfielders have also clearly been told to 'ping it' to him as his touch is brilliant when linking from midfield.

I like picking a player to watch throughout a game, trying to work out what it takes to be a professional :greengrin its normally a midfielder, used to be Scott Brown. Benji too. But in this team its always Malonga. I have all his moves down now :aok:

truehibernian
27-12-2014, 08:17 PM
I like picking a player to watch throughout a game, trying to work out what it takes to be a professional :greengrin its normally a midfielder, used to be Scott Brown. Benji too. But in this team its always Malonga. I have all his moves down now :aok:

Don't watch Jason Cummings - it's like watching a strobe light in a 90's club :greengrin you'll end up 'McKenna'd'

Keith_M
27-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Dear Mr Keekaboo

I note your complaint dated 27th December and would like to assure you that all complaints of this nature will be forwarded onto the players and coaching staff of Sevco FC for their general *****ness this afternoon.

We're sorry to hear that your wife didn't enjoy eating her chips as much as she should have done because of the early goals today. As a way of compensation, we have tried to arrange for someone at Sevco to give your wife a voucher for a free poke of chips, if she decides to attend the next hammering of Sevco at Ibrox in February. However since they currently don't have a pot to piss in and are currently trying to get together several thousand pounds to pay for the damage that their fans did to our seats this afternoon, they have unfortunately declined our request.

Once again, please accept our apologies and next time we play them, we promise your wife that we'll instruct our players to wait until at least 10 minutes have passed before scoring our first goal.

Until next time, please find attached a quick summary of today's highlights and try your hardest not to pish yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZHuhUGe-M

Kind Regards

A. wind-up

Mrs Keekaboo thanks you for your interest and your kind promise of a ten minute interval before the scoring begins at the next match.

We are, quite frankly, dissapointed that the The Rangers players allowed such a disgraceful state of affairs and, in addition, she now needs clean underpants after watching the highlights.

Regards, etc, etc.

Jonnyboy
27-12-2014, 09:15 PM

This 100%