PDA

View Full Version : Ian Wood (Scotsman sportswriter)

Carheenlea
27-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Sad to hear of the passing of Ian Wood. Monday mornings were always brightened up with his "slice of life" column where he lamented his poor golf game (although I suspect his game was nowhere as bad as he made out!) And the trials and tribulations of supporting Hibs.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/former-scotsman-sports-editor-ian-wood-dies-aged-80-1-3644483

--------
27-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Sad to hear of the passing of Ian Wood. Monday mornings were always brightened up with his "slice of life" column where he lamented his poor golf game (although I suspect his game was nowhere as bad as he made out!) And the trials and tribulations of supporting Hibs.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/former-scotsman-sports-editor-ian-wood-dies-aged-80-1-3644483

One of the old school. Sad to hear this.

O'Rourke3
27-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Condolences to the family. Always enjoyed his columns. They could do with guys his standard now.

cad
27-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Many of my bad rounds brightened up considerabley on hearing Ian`s latest plight, his take on many things were extremely funny ,his recollection of trips to Augusta had me spellbound .

RIP
Ian you will be sadly missed

brog
27-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Top writer from an era when with the likes of Rafferty & Fairgrieve ( a Yam ) as well as McIlvanney, Scottish journalism was hugely respected. Sad news.

emerald green
27-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Ian Wood was a highly respected sports journalist. A Hibs man. Sadly passed away on Christmas Day. RIP.

Glorious St Pat
27-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Ian Wood was a highly respected sports journalist. A Hibs man. Sadly passed away on Christmas Day. RIP.

Saddened to hear this. Know him from playing golf at Duddy. Helped me with my initial journalism career and good Hibby. Today's result would've pleased him.

s club 7-0
28-12-2014, 01:51 AM
Rip

heretoday
28-12-2014, 06:16 PM
When I worked in the old Halfway House Ian was a regular customer. An ironical sense of humour.

Golf was his game really. And Hibs.

greenlex
28-12-2014, 07:06 PM
I knew Fairgrieve pretty well back it he day and for a Hearts man he was alright. I think that sort of generation knew the score.RIP Ian.

heretoday
29-12-2014, 08:26 AM
I knew Fairgrieve pretty well back it he day and for a Hearts man he was alright. I think that sort of generation knew the score.RIP Ian.

I think you're right. They were lucky though in that they got to see Hibs (and Hearts) when the team were world beaters who won things. They saw the game in what one could term its purest form - passing, dribbling, heading and shooting. There was a lack of the cynicism which pervades the game now.

But cynicism was bound to creep in as the financial rewards became greater and Ian Wood certainly remarked on that in his delightful pieces for The Scotsman.

Fife-Hibee
29-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Always sad to hear about the passing of a good hibby :( RIP Ian. Thoughts go out to the family.