PDA

View Full Version : Stoke v Chelsea

tamig
22-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Eventful game so far. Lots of meaty challenges. Ref not in control. The holding at the corners is shocking. I don't know why they don't just start awarding penalties for this nonsense. Zaliukas would be proud of tonight's antics.

Hibs Class
22-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Ref has done okay, there's a lot more scrutiny of him tonight because of the prematch comments, but apart from getting in the way of a Chelsea break I don't think he's done much wrong, despite bad behaviour by both sets of players.

tamig
22-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Ref has done okay, there's a lot more scrutiny of him tonight because of the prematch comments, but apart from getting in the way of a Chelsea break I don't think he's done much wrong, despite bad behaviour by both sets of players.

He's been soft at the corners. Spoken to a few players then it just carries on the same and no further action taken. Ridiculous imo.

Sir David Gray
22-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Phil Bardsley is very fortunate to still be on the pitch.

He's had two challenges (that I've seen) on Eden Hazard that some referees may have sent him off for.

Sir David Gray
22-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Now he tugs on the shirt of Diego Costa and still remains unpunished.

Hamish
22-12-2014, 07:52 PM
He's been soft at the corners. Spoken to a few players then it just carries on the same and no further action taken. Ridiculous imo.

:agree: The haranguing of the referees is now ridiculous. The refs should be telling the players surrounding them that they have 5 seconds to move away or he will start booking them. same at corners, start booking the players holding, pulling etc.

Sir David Gray
22-12-2014, 07:58 PM
:agree: The haranguing of the referees is now ridiculous. The refs should be telling the players surrounding them that they have 5 seconds to move away or he will start booking them. same at corners, start booking the players holding, pulling etc.

Only the captains of the two sides should be able to speak to the referee regarding any decisions that he makes.

Alex Trager
22-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Just heard about the Blackpool chairman.

Some of his comments were a bit mental.
Stupid man.

I'm listening to the game hence why I am posting it here :)

Hamish
22-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Only the captains of the two sides should be able to speak to the referee regarding any decisions that he makes.

:agree: Been saying this for years. Think we will still be saying the same thing in 10 years time though.

Eyrie
22-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Rugby manages it, but it would take a massive culture shift (and numerous bookings) before footballers would even consider the idea of treating a match official with respect, regardless of whether his decision is right or wrong.

bobbyhibs1983
23-12-2014, 09:43 AM

100% hereI always thought it was some sort rule, prehaps dissent prehaps in reagrds haranguing of refs? as trig said the 2 captains should be the ones approching refs simple as that.

as for corners/free kicks this is a disgrace it happens. why does it happen? cos players know they will get away with it.though to be fair sometimes the defender and forward are both at it sometimes.

heretoday
23-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Let's face it. Players are "at it" all the time.

It's pretty hard to say who's fouling who in the box at corners and that's probably why refs are reluctant to step in and make decisions.

There should be more bookings for obvious play-acting though. Fabregas tried it on last night as he exited the Stoke box, making out that he'd been tripped. This was followed by a wee smile when the ref ignored him.

What a little cheat!

AndyB_70
23-12-2014, 10:15 AM
This is how it should be. Nigel Owens makes it clear: "This is not soccer": http://youtu.be/RXoBNFOxlQM

lord bunberry
23-12-2014, 10:16 AM
I thought the referee kept making the mistake of backing off when the players came up to confront him. He should have stood his ground, the more he backed off the more players came at him. It's long overdue that a rule is brought in to stop this sort of thing.

AndyB_70
23-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Is a sports culture thing. Back in the day (long time ago) when I played both rugby and football it was instilled into you that the rugby referee was to be respected and not to give him back chat. If you did then it was the coach that gave you a hard time. Football on the other hand is where you are told to get in the refs face and try to influence his decisions. Cut it out at grass roots level and it will filter through our maybe get the so called role models et the professional level to act like adults.

JimBHibees
23-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Is a sports culture thing. Back in the day (long time ago) when I played both rugby and football it was instilled into you that the rugby referee was to be respected and not to give him back chat. If you did then it was the coach that gave you a hard time. Football on the other hand is where you are told to get in the refs face and try to influence his decisions. Cut it out at grass roots level and it will filter through our maybe get the so called role models et the professional level to act like adults.

Also the rule with rugby that you lost ground if showing dissent.

As Tony Higgins famously said if that rule had been used on Scottish football 'Willie Miller would have played most of his career in Norway'. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
24-12-2014, 12:57 PM
There should be more bookings for obvious play-acting though. Fabregas tried it on last night as he exited the Stoke box, making out that he'd been tripped. This was followed by a wee smile when the ref ignored him.

What a little cheat!

Curious thing that. I don't think Fabregas used to do that sort of thing when he played for Arsenal. I wonder who or what it is about the club where he is now that's caused that to come in to his game?

HibbyAndy
24-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Curious thing that. I don't think Fabregas used to do that sort of thing when he played for Arsenal. I wonder who or what it is about the club where he is now that's caused that to come in to his game?

Mourinho, As much as i hate celtic his Porto team cheated like **** against celtic in the UEFA cup final.

JimBHibees
24-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Mourinho, As much as i hate celtic his Porto team cheated like **** against celtic in the UEFA cup final.

Yes for all his personal charisma his teams are very much win at all costs.

I'm_cabbaged
24-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Was at the game, it was a bit of a disappointment tbh.