PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: GEORGE'S BEST DISPLAY - 35 YEARS ON

RSS Bot
22-12-2014, 08:30 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5043)

keep the faith
22-12-2014, 04:32 PM
"Best found the lure of playing for Hibernian irresistible" 😉

ancient hibee
22-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Don't remember anyone called George Young in goal for Rangers.

Keith_M
22-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Don't remember anyone called George Young in goal for Rangers.

Peter McCloy was their goalie at the time.

I thought George Young was a defender from the 40's/50's

:confused:

Septimus
22-12-2014, 06:25 PM
George Young was capped 49 times as centre half for Scotland as I recall. He was part of a great defense for The Old Rangers

MartinfaePorty
22-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Different George Young. This one is my brother-in-laws' dad. Didn't play many games for the old Gers, but went on to be a legend at Stirling Albion, I think.

Alfred E Newman
23-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I think his best display in a Hibs shirt was a midweek game against Dundee I think in front of only around 5000. That night under the floodlights he gave those of us fortunate to be at the game a glimpse of what it must have been like to watch him live in his heyday.

Lucius Apuleius
23-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Different George Young. This one is my brother-in-laws' dad. Didn't play many games for the old Gers, but went on to be a legend at Stirling Albion, I think.

May be wrong but my head has him playing for the Albion before going to the hun.

gogs_t
23-12-2014, 07:23 PM
I think his best display in a Hibs shirt was a midweek game against Dundee I think in front of only around 5000. That night under the floodlights he gave those of us fortunate to be at the game a glimpse of what it must have been like to watch him live in his heyday.

Totally agree with this. He was all over the park that night and it was a joy to watch

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2014, 09:02 PM
George Best to Hibs must be up there as one of the great transfer coups of all time.

delbert
24-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Yes he was fantastic that night, lost interest a wee bit in the second half but tortured the entire Dundee defence during the first 45, leading to Shades getting him a beauty just before half time, he was left back that night for Dundee. Was sitting in the stand that night with the late Ian Redford who had recently moved from Dundee to Der Hun and he was singing Best's praises all night, happy days.

EVENTUALLY
26-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Spot on. He was magical that night.