PDA

View Full Version : Biscuits at it again

Famous Fiver
20-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Alan Preston on the radio once again peddling the myth 'Hearts, the only unbeaten league side in Britain.'

THEY ARE NOT!!!!

TNS in the Welsh Premier League are unbeaten They won again today.

The man is a liar. How do the BBC let him get away with it?

Cretin doesn't even begin to describe him.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-12-2014, 07:03 PM
It's policy for radio stations, TV channels and newspaper columns to have more than their fair share of misinformed numpties stirring up controversy as its a ratings game. It's a pity as the public broadcaster the Beeb has turned a blind eye to "kwality"

He's best ignored.

Where it crosses the line is where fan bloggers turned newspaper "columnists" get in on the act... Surely your either one or the other. As soon as your paid by the media you're open to claims against independence where editorial control is no longer your own...

Swedish hibee
20-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Alan Preston on the radio once again peddling the myth 'Hearts, the only unbeaten league side in Britain.'

THEY ARE NOT!!!!

He is a fan having a rant and getting paid for it. But BBC radio Scotland employ Chick, Willie Miller & Derek Ferguson- says it all really.

easty
20-12-2014, 07:49 PM
The only time I'm ever aware of him is when there's a thread on here moaning about him. He's a total irelevance as far as I'm concerned.

Scottie
20-12-2014, 07:58 PM
The only time I'm ever aware of him is when there's a thread on here moaning about him. He's a total irelevance as far as I'm concerned.
:agree: And when we beat them at the PBS it will be pleasing to hear him squeal. :greengrin

green day
20-12-2014, 07:59 PM

Correct.

Its been quite liberating stopping listening to Sportsound this season. Central FM and Forth2 coverage has been unbiased (at times crap) and clearly has no "agenda" other than covering fitba as a service.

I recommend it to anyone with a Biscuit Allergy.

joebakerforever
20-12-2014, 08:00 PM
On the credit side he also drew attention to Leigh Griffiths discreet offer to buy Xmas pressies for the young son of a Jambo to replace those that were initially thought to be stolen.

He pointed out that LG had not sought publicity and that Leigh did not deserve his bad boy reputation.

tamig
20-12-2014, 08:02 PM

THEY ARE NOT!!!!

Are you maybe not just clutching at straws a bit? Preston is a prat and best ignored. Doesn't even merit the hassle of typing up a post. Hearts are the only unbeaten side in the Scottish and English football leagues. Is that a fair enough comment? It's a fact so you just have to cope with it. :-)

Borderhibbie76
20-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Correct.

Its been quite liberating stopping listening to Sportsound this season. Central FM and Forth2 coverage has been unbiased (at times crap) and clearly has no "agenda" other than covering fitba as a service.

Couldnae agree more mate..not listened to Sportsh##e once this season. ..its a liberating experience

AlbertK86
20-12-2014, 08:32 PM
2 weeks from now his gas will be put at a peep when we beat them at ***********

Paisley Hibby
20-12-2014, 08:40 PM

THEY ARE NOT!!!!

Breaking news - Alan Preston is an annoying wee gob******

He is, right enough, but does that really merit a thread?

leggeto
20-12-2014, 09:08 PM

THEY ARE NOT!!!!

Don't think he is worth a thread, I've heard that being said by a few radio news broadcasts not just him

Aldo
20-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Grade A roaster of the highest order. Wouldn't give him the steam off ma pish!!

Biggest prick in media.

Jones28
21-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Can't stand him, Charlie Mann or willie miller.

Chick young I can just about handle when he's commentating.

I like Robertson and Derek ferguson

Geo_1875
21-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Preston is at his most entertaining when his team are on the wrong end of a decision. Dogs throughout Central Scotland put their paws over their ears.

it is wrong that he's paid by a publicly funded broadcaster though.

s.a.m
21-12-2014, 08:02 AM
On the credit side he also drew attention to Leigh Griffiths discreet offer to buy Xmas pressies for the young son of a Jambo to replace those that were initially thought to be stolen.

He pointed out that LG had not sought publicity and that Leigh did not deserve his bad boy reputation.

You didn't catch what Richard Gordon said, did you? What I heard (and it's possible that I picked it up wrong - happy to be corrected) was : Griffiths is the last person you'd expect it from; I can't stand that whole Hibs / Grifffiths thing? Can't remember the exact words, but that seemed to be the gist of it. I don't actually care if presenters hate Hibs*, but I was surprised that he was saying it on air. I remember when we were playing well under Tony Mowbray, and he said he'd had a fondness for us when he was growing up, so could be wrong.

* so long as they make a decent attempt to be objective.

PeeJay
21-12-2014, 08:50 AM

THEY ARE NOT!!!!

Think you really are scraping the barrel with this ... who cares about the Welsh Premier League - I mean honestly???
Preston's right and you are wrong, face it.

SetonClapper
21-12-2014, 09:18 AM
You didn't catch what Richard Gordon said, did you? What I heard (and it's possible that I picked it up wrong - happy to be corrected) was : Griffiths is the last person you'd expect it from; I can't stand that whole Hibs / Grifffiths thing? Can't remember the exact words, but that seemed to be the gist of it. I don't actually care if presenters hate Hibs*, but I was surprised that he was saying it on air. I remember when we were playing well under Tony Mowbray, and he said he'd had a fondness for us when he was growing up, so could be wrong.

* so long as they make a decent attempt to be objective.

He was repeating the content of the tweet, not his own thoughts on Griffiths/Hibs

s.a.m
21-12-2014, 09:20 AM
He was repeating the content of the tweet, not his own thoughts on Griffiths/Hibs

Ah....makes sense now. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2014, 10:41 AM

:confused: What do you mean?

emerald green
21-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Preston is a typical Yak roaster of the highest order. I've nothing further to add.

horseflesh
21-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Think you really are scraping the barrel with this ... who cares about the Welsh Premier League - I mean honestly???
Preston's right and you are wrong, face it.

Preston is wrong, Wales is in Britain and the scottish league is not comparable with the English leagues at all, so why try to pretend?

scuttle
21-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Biscuits is a nob without the hob

Famous Fiver
21-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Peejay

I think that in the general hierarchy of British football the Welsh Premier League rates higher than the Scottish Championship.

I think it is you who I scraping the barrel.

We are all allowed our opinions and you are entitled to yours.

Septimus
21-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Hope that we can end this record at the year end

tamig
21-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Peejay

I think that in the general hierarchy of British football the Welsh Premier League rates higher than the Scottish Championship.

Lol. So you don't think it's reasonable that hertz are referred to as the only unbeaten team in Britain? I think you are clutching at very big straws here and it's almost at a yam level of pettiness. Who cares?

bingo70
21-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Lol. So you don't think it's reasonable that hertz are referred to as the only unbeaten team in Britain? I think you are clutching at very big straws here and it's almost at a yam level of pettiness. Who cares?

If they're not the only unbeaten team in Britain they shouldn't be referred to as such.

The Welsh team are in their top division so its extremely disrespectful to them to suggest they don't count. They might be in a wee tin pot league but so are hearts.

tamig
21-12-2014, 04:15 PM
If they're not the only unbeaten team in Britain they shouldn't be referred to as such.

The Welsh team are in their top division so its extremely disrespectful to them to suggest they don't count. They might be in a wee tin pot league but so are hearts.

I suspect most people acknowledge the English and Scottish football leagues as the senior leagues in Britain. You could go all the way down to Sunday and pub leagues if you really want to take it to extremes. To have a pop at Preston for making that comment is ridiculously petty imo and verges on the ridiculous. By all means fire away at him for some of his other abnormalities.

PeeJay
21-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Peejay

I don't see it that way myself, I think this is just an excuse to have a go at "them" and a lame one at that ... the WPL means nothing to me, nor the 5 best Welsh clubs who play in England. I think, as mentioned elsewhere on here, "the only unbeaten team in the UK" reference doesn't extend to this Welsh league: I think that would be generally accepted - except in Wales and wherever you happen to be maybe ... :greengrin

Sir David Gray
21-12-2014, 04:37 PM
I suspect most people acknowledge the English and Scottish football leagues as the senior leagues in Britain. You could go all the way down to Sunday and pub leagues if you really want to take it to extremes. To have a pop at Preston for making that comment is ridiculously petty imo and verges on the ridiculous. By all means fire away at him for some of his other abnormalities.

We don't need to take it all the way down to the level of pub leagues. The top team in Welsh football is undefeated.

If he had said that Hearts are the only undefeated team in Scotland and England, that would have been perfectly accurate but they're not the only undefeated team in Britain.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Preston is a Yam roaster. The only way he can be shut up is by us beating them consistently.
Until the people running our club show signs of getting this then we will just have to get used to listening to the yam ****.

tamig
21-12-2014, 04:51 PM
We don't need to take it all the way down to the level of pub leagues. The top team in Welsh football is undefeated.

If he had said that Hearts are the only undefeated team in Scotland and England, that would have been perfectly accurate but they're not the only undefeated team in Britain.
Sorry. We'll have to agree to disagree. Pettiness of the highest order imo. But if that makes you happy then good for you. Meanwhile -as much as it pains me to say so - I will recognise hertz for remaining the only unbeaten side in Britain.

bingo70
21-12-2014, 04:53 PM

I think most people are ignorant if that's true.

To suggest the top league in Wales doesn't count as a British league doesn't make sense.

I don't know how the Welsh league is structured but I'd suggest we should be counting all their senior leagues, pressumably you can get relegated from their league so I'd also include their second division. If we're including Scotland's second league, why wouldn't we do the same with Wales or northern Ireland?

Sir David Gray
21-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Sorry. We'll have to agree to disagree. Pettiness of the highest order imo. But if that makes you happy then good for you. Meanwhile -as much as it pains me to say so - I will recognise hertz for remaining the only unbeaten side in Britain.

You do that if you wish but you're wrong.

tamig
21-12-2014, 05:05 PM
I think most people are ignorant if that's true.

To suggest the top league in Wales doesn't count as a British league doesn't make sense.

I don't know how the Welsh league is structured but I'd suggest we should be counting all their senior leagues, pressumably you can get relegated from their league so I'd also include their second division. If we're including Scotland's second league, why wouldn't we do the same with Wales or northern Ireland?

I'm not ignorant.I just think what preston said was acceptable. Although technically inaccurate I think to have opened a thread about it is very petty. Its what i'd expect of jkb tbh. Not here. A touch of greg james nerd alert (for anyone familiar with that) about this.

tamig
21-12-2014, 05:05 PM
You do that if you wish but you're wrong.

Not in my eyes.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Threads like this and the Banderson thread just validate their justification.
And For me Stewart is just controversial for controversy's sake. They're all aiming to grab the headlines and attention.
The best thing that could happen to any of their slavers would be core them to go without comment from us but that will never happen. I do think the slavering of Jambos from sickbag shouldn't taint our boards but each to their own.

HoboHarry
21-12-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't really understand why anyone would get upset over Preston's comments. In my opinion he is an intellectual lightweight and is only in the position to air his views because of a deeply flawed BBC policy of allowing a number of biased and seriously ill-equipped ex-players to give their views on live radio. I watch English footie every week on this side of the Atlantic and all of the ex-players involved are capable of giving an objective view even when their old teams are involved.

Why the BBC think it's ok to treat Scotland differently is a mystery to me but whoever it is making the decisions should be ashamed of himself/herself. Any non-Scot listening in to that garbage must cringe at what we have to listen to - but that is down to the BBC and not the likes of Preston, Miller etc etc

Jim Herriot
21-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Correct.

Agree. Both stations have been good when I've listened to them. Even Roughie, despite his obvious Hibs connections, reports pretty impartially.

lapsedhibee
22-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Threads like this and the Banderson thread just validate their justification.
And For me Stewart is just controversial for controversy's sake. They're all aiming to grab the headlines and attention.
The best thing that could happen to any of their slavers would be core them to go without comment from us but that will never happen. I do think the slavering of Jambos from sickbag shouldn't taint our boards but each to their own.

'snot slavering on sickbag, though - it's slavering, on a grand scale, on BBC.

FranckSuzy
22-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Audience figures are surely the name of the game so leave them to their 'old boys' network and listen to another programme. Mind you, you'd then miss how sick Preston sounds when a team scores against his beloved Hertz :tee hee:

joebakerforever
22-12-2014, 11:23 PM

:confused: What do you mean?

When initially reported that the house was burgled, it was thought the pressies were taken, but later discovered they were in a hidey hole and recovered.

KeithTheHibby
23-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Agree. Both stations have been good when I've listened to them. Even Roughie, despite his obvious Hibs connections, reports pretty impartially.

Same with Stevie Cowan, he is not afraid to upset the masses with his unbiased commentary. One particular match, I think against QOS away, he was anything but complimentary towards Hibs.