PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Fitba'- Questions for Michael Stewart

Fenriz
19-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

Next week will see a couple of interviews on Monday Night Fitba'- oddly enough, they'll be interviewing Michael Stewart on Tuesday this time. Any burning questions for Michael, fire away here and the lads will put them through to him. Cheers!

hibbytam
19-12-2014, 06:03 PM
This.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhC31VUOQeY

Don't think I have anything to add.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Can you ask Michael how often he gets his only winners medal out for a polish? :wink:

bigwheel
19-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Hi all,

Next week will see a couple of interviews on Monday Night Fitba'- oddly enough, they'll be interviewing Michael Stewart on Tuesday this time. Any burning questions for Michael, fire away here and the lads will put them through to him. Cheers!

Have to say guys, I think the guys who run this programme do really well....even the two Jambos who ran the Keith Wright interview were excellent :-). And I also enjoyed hearing the guy from Hearts talk about his coaching philosophy ....very interesting....keep up the good work !

bigwheel
19-12-2014, 07:04 PM
And for Mikey Stewart...he seemed to be a player that often had notable ups and downs of performance...sometimes he looked almost unbeatable, totally dominating games, with high energy...other times you could tell even in the early minutes he just wasn't on it....did he recognise that? and if so, what's his view of why that happened...

Pretty Boy
19-12-2014, 08:14 PM
In his experience was there a noticeable difference in attitude between Hibs and Hearts when it came both to the derby and also in the general way they viewed themselves?

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2014, 12:00 AM
In his experience was there a noticeable difference in attitude between Hibs and Hearts when it came both to the derby and also in the general way they viewed themselves?

He actually mentioned this on sport sound a few weeks back (or maybe on bt sport). He said that he always felt the Hibs fans were more nervous, which them put the team under more pressure in a derby. I think he's right.

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Can we ask him why he was so pissed off when he won the league cup in 2007?

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2014, 12:01 AM
If it wasn't him, who was the ringleader of the JC rebellion?

Danderhall Hibs
20-12-2014, 12:03 AM
When they chapped petries door did they ever consider the damage they'd cause and the (e)affect it would have on them becoming Hibs greats by doing a cup double?

Viva_Palmeiras
20-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Have you always been controversial?

What was the best Hibs goal you scored at Tynie?

How did it feel to give the best spell of your career to Hibs?

Who's your favourite muppet at Tynie?

Sir David Gray
20-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Just how do you do that slip up routine, like the one you did at New Douglas Park a few years ago, Michael?

keep the faith
20-12-2014, 12:35 AM
He seemed to give his all for hibs and I enjoyed watching him in his time here. How did he view his time at hibs? Despite being a hearts fan, does he have any look back on his time at hibs with any affection.

Mikeystewart
26-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Did anyone end up hearing this? was one of the maddest interviews I've ever heard.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Did anyone end up hearing this? was one of the maddest interviews I've ever heard.

Cant see the link for this one...

KWJ
26-12-2014, 05:54 PM
What happened?

Heisenberg
26-12-2014, 06:09 PM

I did. Was just Michael Stewart swearing for a sustained period of time.

bringbackbenny
26-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Cant see the link for this one...

I've still to listen

http://youtu.be/3AMQq6BBHso

Mikeystewart
26-12-2014, 10:36 PM
The first half is really interesting stuff about how he seemed to get shafted by every club he played for.

The last 30 mins where a joke though, all sounded made up or highly exaggerated at the very least.

A bit of the Roy Keane about him, was always someone else's fault things didn't work out.

hibbytam
26-12-2014, 10:53 PM
The first half is really interesting stuff about how he seemed to get shafted by every club he played for.

The last 30 mins where a joke though, all sounded made up or highly exaggerated at the very least.

A bit of the Roy Keane about him, was always someone else's fault things didn't work out.

Yes, it was all the other clubs fault.
And as for anyone building a team around him......erm, no.

Hermit Crab
26-12-2014, 11:39 PM
I listened to all 2hrs of it. I found it very interesting to hear a player speak uncensored.

Fenriz
26-12-2014, 11:57 PM
I've still to listen

http://youtu.be/3AMQq6BBHso

Cheers for posting that link- was meant to update this thread today but got sidetracked. Also still to listen to this, but from what I've heard from the lads it's an unmissable and unique interview! Also available to download on iTunes, just type in Monday Night Fitba'.

Mikeystewart
27-12-2014, 01:16 AM
I listened to all 2hrs of it. I found it very interesting to hear a player speak uncensored.

This, colourful language aside I feel the problem with organisations like the bbc is that you will never get as honest an interview like the one from Stewart on MNF, regardless of how accurate or inaccurate his point of view is, its still good to hear it.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-12-2014, 09:01 AM
How do you manage a team full of Mikey Stewart's?

blackpoolhibs
27-12-2014, 09:29 AM
If he's being honest, then this is going to be great viewing the next time he's on the telly with John Collins?

I enjoyed that, i know its all from his perspective, but he did not mix his words. :greengrin

DTS
27-12-2014, 10:28 AM
I wonder who the only two players where that didn't turn against collins? Was a very good interview and it just shows exactly how hearts got them self in the position that they did

Mikeystewart
27-12-2014, 11:41 AM
I wonder who the only two players where that didn't turn against collins? Was a very good interview and it just shows exactly how hearts got them self in the position that they did

Was thinking this too, he seemed to suggest that the youth players got on well with him, my guess would be Stevenson and possibly Kevin McCann who was breaking through at the same time as Lewis IIRC.

It could also have been Benji and Zemmama due to his grasp of the French language he always seemed to get on well with them publicly.

Pretty Boy
27-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Was thinking this too, he seemed to suggest that the youth players got on well with him, my guess would be Stevenson and possibly Kevin McCann who was breaking through at the same time as Lewis IIRC.

It could also have been Benji and Zemmama due to his grasp of the French language he always seemed to get on well with them publicly.

The rumour at the time was it was Benji, Zemmama, Andy McNeil and Lewis who weren't part of the group. If MS says it was only 2 then that suggests that rumour wasn't accurate

Betty Boop
27-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Mikey son, you couldnae lace John Collins boots ya yam fud.:bye:

Irish Dave
27-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Half way through this my chin hit the floor listening to out, not sure Michael Stewart actually comes out of it that well but it's a stunning interview. Listen to it!

keep the faith
27-12-2014, 11:25 PM
Have to bump this one. Wow! Say what you want about Stewart but he doesn't hold back.
Everyone is wrong except him but I can't help liking Mikey.

Irish Dave
28-12-2014, 12:49 PM
I listened to it all last night, wow is the word! with headphones on it was a surreal experience, the guys only asked about ten questions and got that back .... I wonder what a psycho-analyst would say. Don't miss out on this gem. The interaction he described between him, Jeffries and Brown had me in stitches.....explosive stuff.

keep the faith
28-12-2014, 01:03 PM
I listened to it all last night, wow is the word! with headphones on it was a surreal experience, the guys only asked about ten questions and got that back .... I wonder what a psycho-analyst would say. Don't miss out on this gem. The interaction he described between him, Jeffries and Brown had me in stitches.....explosive stuff.

I agree. JJ bottling telling him about the captaincy change was really funny. What about the JC bit? Burst out laughing at that too.
Thought it was pretty ballsy for him to speak as freely as that.

Irish Dave
28-12-2014, 02:23 PM
I agree. JJ bottling telling him about the captaincy change was really funny. What about the JC bit? Burst out laughing at that too.
Thought it was pretty ballsy for him to speak as freely as that.

I wasn't so keen on him calling JC what he did but I know what you mean. I wonder if he will regret this being in the public domain

Viva_Palmeiras
28-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Comes across as eloquent in the main on punctuated with (unnecessary) sweary words.

Imagine being in a team with him - didn't quite make it at the top level then seemingly failed to adapt to life outside of Man Utd. For him it was black or white - you were either a player of "substance" or an r sol.

You have to ask yourself - for someone that has many (apparently wise) words on man management why he never made the transition? Far too easy to sit on the sidelines critcisising rather than be in a positio. Of influence to change things. He's perfectly cast as a pundit.

You cannot simply dismiss him but his words need to be taken in context. As anyone who's been in a managerial role will tell you there's lots of stuff going on in the background around decisions made that are not always possible or sensible to convey to staff no matter the personal preference or style of manager. And that doesn't make them a Bertie blunt ...

givescotlandfreedom
28-12-2014, 02:38 PM
That was a really interesting interview and the most frank I've heard from a former footballer. I'm not sure what to make of the guy.

patlowe
28-12-2014, 03:49 PM
He did know this was going to be broadcast right? He goes all out in criticising certain people and does not hold back in terms of contempt or language used!

He's a character, there's no doubting that. The question is - did everything happen as he describes (Collins, Hearts captaincy, the "alcoholic" conspiracy theory etc) or is he genuinely deluded? I can't make up my mind!

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2014, 04:04 PM
It's certainly different to the normal interview we get. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
28-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Sounded like it was recorded in Princes Square Glasgow or similar...

Like Dennis Pennis' question to Demi Moore "Demi, Demi - would you ever consider taking $1m to keep your clothes ON" id like to ask Mikey "do you think you'd ever be able to do a broadcast without being controversial?" Just to see he look on his face ;)

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Sounded like it was recorded in Princes Square Glasgow or similar...

Like Dennis Pennis' question to Demi Moore "Demi, Demi - would you ever consider taking $1m to keep your clothes ON" id like to ask Mikey "do you think you'd ever be able to do a broadcast without being controversial?" Just to see he look on his face ;)

I have to say i'd rather hear what people really mean than what they think they should say, whether its true we will probably never know?

Viva_Palmeiras
28-12-2014, 04:32 PM
I have to say i'd rather hear what people really mean than what they think they should say, whether its true we will probably never know?

I truly hope from now rather than Hibs allow others to fill the void with whatever that they tell the fans what goes on. I suppose whatever they said about that rebellion would be dismissed one way or another but the fact it rumbled on so long without reply I can recall did the club great damage.

Danderhall Hibs
29-12-2014, 07:52 AM
He did know this was going to be broadcast right? He goes all out in criticising certain people and does not hold back in terms of contempt or language used!

He's a character, there's no doubting that. The question is - did everything happen as he describes (Collins, Hearts captaincy, the "alcoholic" conspiracy theory etc) or is he genuinely deluded? I can't make up my mind!

I've listened to the first hour so far and I'd be surprised if he thought this was to be broadcast in full.

At times he does sound like he's being the big man trying to impress a couple of youngsters though. "I phoned Keano and said I'm being ****ing shafted here", "when I was at United ..." etc.

Cameron1875
29-12-2014, 08:01 AM
I've listened to the first hour so far and I'd be surprised if he thought this was to be broadcast in full.

At times he does sound like he's being the big man trying to impress a couple of youngsters though. "I phoned Keano and said I'm being ****ing shafted here", "when I was at United ..." etc.

Started cringing for Stewart a bit there especially when he mentioned he'd phoned Sir Alex too who then said he'd try and sort it.

Always remember Hibs were having some trouble with goalies at the time and we'd just brought in Makalamby. He proceeds to try and shoot from the halfway line at kick off in the Derby. Bit classless I thought:bitchy:

Backfired too since we scored basically straight from the resulting goal kick.

Absolute Hearts **** who gave his best year of his career to his rivals.

micka_weer
29-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Can't think this will do his bbc career any good, the amount of swearing and total contempt for others will surely have done some damage there?

Viva_Palmeiras
29-12-2014, 08:54 AM
So theres Mikey ex-United, a man of "substance", asking Jeffries "if you need to know anything else just ask".
Impressionable youngsters were probably in awe of his stories, the names dropped, the weddings attended by Mikey and here comes JC who's trumped all that cos he actually had a career at the top and won things.
In comes JC, a young manager in his first role "instant respect" says Mikey and rightly so and then loses it in 10 minutes. Mikey of course never made a mistake - actually it looks from his career that he made the same mistake repeatedly. Has JC learned from his experience - I'd probably say yes. Has he changed - I dont know. Whats clear to me was that Mikey would have been on a collision course with JC regardless. And would JC have been right to trust Mikey? I think Mikey would have been a handful for any young manager and JC was probably at the time ill-equipped to deal with him other than in the manner he did. Its all about managing the situation. And it works both ways did Mikey do what he could to resolve things? Did he set a good example for the younger players? I dont know but I could see how a young manager rightly or wrongly could suspect him of undermining his position - heck even the dinosaurs reckoned that so there must be some degree of truth in the claims.
The problem with Mikey is like the managers he chastises for not managing situations - adjusting their style if you like - neither did he despite the radical change in environment. Was this not the criticism that was laid at Glenn Hoddle - because he could do things that others couldnt dream of doing he couldn't relate. I'm not saying Mikey should have dropped his standards but he needs to realise certain players will never see that pass. Its like the difference between Potter and Strachan - Strachan plays as system to suit the players at his disposal. Its called intelligence and for all the intelligence Mikey appears to have theres a flaw in there that cant see past certain things but it makes him who he is.

givescotlandfreedom
29-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Always remember Hibs were having some trouble with goalies at the time and we'd just brought in Makalamby. He proceeds to try and shoot from the halfway line at kick off in the Derby. Bit classless I thought:bitchy:

Backfired too since we scored basically straight from the resulting goal kick.

I remember that and thought it was quite disrespectful and arrogant too. As you say it teed up Kerr's winner nicely.

Dashing Bob S
29-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Thought it was a great interview. Michael Stewart isn't a stupid man, and must have known that their could be consequences for such candour. How refreshing to hear a former footballer pitch an interview at a notional audience of football supporters, rather than radio/tv producers.

The Hibee Harp
29-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Got to be said it was fascinating listening but a number of things struck me...

* Stewart only has time for people "with substance". It would appear to me that if you disagreed with him you are without "substance".
* I'm not convinced he expected that to go out as it did, but if he did he was very naive in regards to what was said.
* He is very critical of everyone else and how they handled things but doesn't appear to accept any blame himself when he was out of line.
* All lot of it seemed exaggerated at best. It's amazing how many big English clubs came in for him and he impressed them on trial only for it to fall through, especially towards the end of his career...
* He came across to me as a prima-dona who had to be involved in management decisions, although I found it ironic when he was describing his meetings with Laszlo and how some of them other players were only invited so they didn't spit the dummy - did he consider he was perhaps one of them??
* I felt he came across quite anti-Hibs.
* If he ever wonders why some managers didn't trust him then he should listen to that interview because he clearly will tell anyone anything!
* It wouldn't surprise me if he has had a few phone calls about some of the things he has said in that interview from some unhappy people!
* Well done the guys that organised it but, it is essentially Stewart ranting for two hours about how amazing but hard done by he is.
* He states he doesn't have time for players who are one thing but portray another in the media. I suggest he looks in the mirror because his media image clearly isn't the same one he has off-camera!
* I would've liked it if there was more Hibs content as his time at ER was almost skimmed over.
* His notion of having been at Man U holding him back is nonsense. There have been countless players that never made the grade at Man U but been successful elsewhere.
* The way he describes it you would have thought he had been a success at Man U. He wasn't.
* His suggestion that Hibs, not simply John Collins, made him out to be a scape-goat is nonsense.
* If he was uncommitted to Hibs for the future then JC, who Stewart himself says had wanted to build a team around him, was right to look at other options.

For the record, I like Michael Stewart and rated him at Hibs. I think it is fair to say that he peaked during his time at Hibs.

I would love for him to bring out a book because it would be superb reading. If only for him to run through his many, many fall-outs.

JimBHibees
29-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Comes across as eloquent in the main on punctuated with (unnecessary) sweary words.

Imagine being in a team with him - didn't quite make it at the top level then seemingly failed to adapt to life outside of Man Utd. For him it was black or white - you were either a player of "substance" or an r sol.

You have to ask yourself - for someone that has many (apparently wise) words on man management why he never made the transition? Far too easy to sit on the sidelines critcisising rather than be in a positio. Of influence to change things. He's perfectly cast as a pundit.

You cannot simply dismiss him but his words need to be taken in context. As anyone who's been in a managerial role will tell you there's lots of stuff going on in the background around decisions made that are not always possible or sensible to convey to staff no matter the personal preference or style of manager. And that doesn't make them a Bertie blunt ...

Interesting listening, agree entirely about it being so easy to criticise when you are not the one making the decisions. If it was so easy why isn't he trying to be a coach. Reminds me a wee bit of the English cricketer Kevin Petersen who always looks to blame others.

Well worth a listen though. Which Hibs player was he implying organised the visit to Petrie towers? Thomson/Brown/Jones?

JimBHibees
29-12-2014, 10:16 AM

I thought he also called him Keanie to give the impression of him being close to him as he called him a different nickname than how Keane is normally referred to.

fat freddy
29-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Fascinating interview, I'm shocked that he was so honest, I doubt he'll be getting invited to Zaliukas's house for dinner after calling him a f@rking ar2hole. It was very enlightening and I can't recommend listening to it highly enough. His Billy Brown impersonation at 1 hour 15 minutes was priceless

Billy Whizz
29-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Don't have time to listen to this just now, but can you download it and listen later?

Viva_Palmeiras
29-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Don't have time to listen to this just now, but can you download it and listen later?

I believe the whole series is online to listen to - so I short no need to rush it'll be around for a while yet.

29-12-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't like him at all. He's an arrogant wee **** stirrer and he definatly was at the heart of the trouble in the dressing room during the Collins era. Never even liked him when he was at hibs. I'll never forget watching the hibs open top bus after we won the cup go by and whilst the rest of the team were up celebrating, waving to the fans etc. he was sat on the seat with his arms folded and looking grumpy as ****.

**** off Stewart ya horrible, arrogant wee hearts ****.

Danderhall Hibs
29-12-2014, 05:37 PM
He's got a massively high opinion of himself but it's a great listen. As someone said the Billy Brown bit is funny.

Would love to know how/why Sir Alex was due him a favour though!

scotia44
29-12-2014, 06:42 PM
All his career people have shafted him should that not tell him that folk don't like him for one reason or another or is he just paranoid

Billy Whizz
29-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I believe the whole series is online to listen to - so I short no need to rush it'll be around for a while yet.

Thanks, meant can I download it to my phone and listen at a later dare

CRAZYHIBBY
29-12-2014, 06:49 PM
He was never a great player or a fans favourite at any club but he is and always will be a ginger twat

ancient hibee
29-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Interesting listening, agree entirely about it being so easy to criticise when you are not the one making the decisions. If it was so easy why isn't he trying to be a coach. Reminds me a wee bit of the English cricketer Kevin Petersen who always looks to blame others.

Well worth a listen though. Which Hibs player was he implying organised the visit to Petrie towers? Thomson/Brown/Jones?

The big difference is that Kevin Petersen actually has achieved massively in his sport.
He won't get into trouble over the broadcast as "people of substance"will probably say "Michael who?"

GRANTON_HIBS
29-12-2014, 07:56 PM
I believe it was recorded in the Balmoral Hotel and that he gave the guys permission to broadcast the recording in full.

Billychaotic182
29-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I really enjoyed it tbh

As a player he seemed to be a bit of an arse but I do like listening to him on the radio

JoeT_WasTheBest
29-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks, meant can I download it to my phone and listen at a later dare

You can Billy. Search for Monday Night Fitba on iTunes.

JimBHibees
29-12-2014, 10:10 PM
The big difference is that Kevin Petersen actually has achieved massively in his sport.
He won't get into trouble over the broadcast as "people of substance"will probably say "Michael who?"

Totally right about Petersen. When looking at Stewart did he ever really establish himself at a club over a prolonged period? He didn't really go into any detail about the Hibs fallout? Broony and Thomo thought Jc was a clown so that was that.

Danderhall Hibs
29-12-2014, 11:35 PM
You can Billy. Search for Monday Night Fitba on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/monday-night-fitba/id930261805?mt=2&i=328174606

Danderhall Hibs
29-12-2014, 11:37 PM

I took it as being Brown. Thomson was already away and he mentioned the reason for him getting the blame being down to the person having a sell on value.

heretoday
29-12-2014, 11:47 PM
I encountered Mickey Stewart in Tesco.

He has really red hair doesn't he?

Bay Area Hibees
30-12-2014, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the tip on this, have subscribed and going listen to series, with exception of Preston!

JimBHibees
30-12-2014, 07:55 AM
I took it as being Brown. Thomson was already away and he mentioned the reason for him getting the blame being down to the person having a sell on value.

That makes sense had forgotten Thomson was away when we won the cup and Stewart looked the most miserable cup winner I have ever seen.

Billy Whizz
30-12-2014, 07:56 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/monday-night-fitba/id930261805?mt=2&i=328174606

Thanks, got it now

Irish Dave
30-12-2014, 11:06 AM
These interviews are all worth a listen.......even Preston's. I admit I am biased my son is on the show when work allows. . The highlight for me and A Proud Moment of my life.....if your son can't pull on the famous green jersey.....then how about if he patiently sits through a back slapping interview with a roomful of jambos and FOH and then asks the guy, so what about the poppies? You could hear a pin drop. Proud. Yesterday I did the dirty and went on jkb to see the reaction to the Michael Stewart interview and saw my boy had severely wound them up with that question. Prouder. They don't like being reminded they are cheats. I thought you would like to share in my glory. My work here is done.

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2014, 11:09 AM
These interviews are all worth a listen.......even Preston's. I admit I am biased my son is on the show when work allows. . The highlight for me and A Proud Moment of my life.....if your son can't pull on the famous green jersey.....then how about if he patiently sits through a back slapping interview with a roomful of jambos and FOH and then asks the guy, so what about the poppies? You could hear a pin drop. Proud. Yesterday I did the dirty and went on jkb to see the reaction to the Michael Stewart interview and saw my boy had severely wound them up with that question. Prouder. They don't like being reminded they are cheats. I thought you would like to share in my glory. My work here is done.

:top marks Well done him, never let them forget. :thumbsup:

snooky
30-12-2014, 11:21 AM
That makes sense had forgotten Thomson was away when we won the cup and Stewart looked the most miserable cup winner I have ever seen.
Collins took a cheap shot at him by bringing on the youngsters at the end of the SLCF leaving Mikey on the bench.
I think that's why he didn't look too pleased.
I got the feeling MS and JC were antipodes, even before the final.

Fenriz
30-12-2014, 09:37 PM

What a roundabout way of telling me how proud you are! If you take a look back on that Kickback thread, they're really not happy with the pair of us now :na na: Don't even think that what I said was particularly contentious...

On topic, I saw that Michael Stewart will be making an attempt to stand for the SNP in the Almond ward of Edinburgh. Might be worth going to see his statement on the 9th:greengrin

zlatan
31-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Haven't listened yet but looking forward to it having read the thread.

For the first six months of the 05/06 season I thought he was one of our best players which in a midfield with Brown and Thomson speaks volumes. Enjoy listening to him as a pundit and agree with a lot of his political views as well. Read earlier he's standing for candidacy to stand for the SNP at Westminster which will be interesting.

Peevemor
31-12-2014, 12:49 AM
I really enjoyed listening to that, but he really doesn't do himself any favours at all. I'd imagine that there are many players that fall into his "a***hole" category that have achieved far more in the game than him, which I suppose isn't that hard.

Bay Area Hibees
31-12-2014, 08:45 AM
I really enjoyed listening to that, but he really doesn't do himself any favours at all. I'd imagine that there are many players that fall into his "a***hole" category that have achieved far more in the game than him, which I suppose isn't that hard.

Agree with this and sll of the above.
MS must know this would be broadly shared so guess he stands behind everything he says.
I like him as pundit and players. Also get main thrust of his argument that success is often based on "good guys not dic@s". But get a sense he doesnt believe he made any mistakes in his career.
Bright guy though, must been murder for him with fat Jim and been placed brown!

BSEJVT
31-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Certainly the most candid interview I have ever heard.

I didn't expect to like Stewart when he signed for us, but he won me over.

He also talks a lot of sense as a pundit.

He's clearly a bright enough guy but is so far up himself he would need a torch to find his way out.

I think his problem was he had a world beater mentality which his ability / fitness didn't live up to.

I think deep down he knew he had / was underachieving and it manifested itself in his arrogance to those around him.

He talks about people of substance but I think as much as that it was whether he liked them / them him or not that determined their substance in his eyes.

Delusions of grandeur at the end, by the time he left Hearts he was already far far down the slippery slope and there was no chance he was playing Premiership football.

By his own admission he was a competent enough player when surrounded by good players.

Great players are great players even when surrounded by rubbish.

Enjoyable enough interview but the sycophantic Jambos fawning over his every word were a bit much.

grunt
31-12-2014, 10:11 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/footballer-michael-stewart-bids-to-stand-for-snp-1-3647959

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2014, 10:32 AM

He's clearly a bright enough guy but is so far up himself he would need a torch to find his way out.

I think his problem was he had a world beater mentality which his ability / fitness didn't live up to.

I think deep down he knew he had / was underachieving and it manifested itself in his arrogance to those around him.

He talks about people of substance but I think as much as that it was whether he liked them / them him or not that determined their substance in his eyes.

Delusions of grandeur at the end, by the time he left Hearts he was already far far down the slippery slope and there was no chance he was playing Premiership football.

By his own admission he was a competent enough player when surrounded by good players.

Enjoyable enough interview but the sycophantic Jambos fawning over his every word were a bit much.

Best post I've read on this issue and Michael Stewart.

I think he was an excellent player who would have been a tremendous one. A lot of his supposed 'arrogance' is, I believe, derived from the frustration of knowing that, with these ongoing injury/fitness issues, he would never completely fulfill that great potential. Thus he resented players of lesser talent but superiour fitness.

Irish Dave
31-12-2014, 11:33 AM
What a roundabout way of telling me how proud you are! If you take a look back on that Kickback thread, they're really not happy with the pair of us now :na na: Don't even think that what I said was particularly contentious...

On topic, I saw that Michael Stewart will be making an attempt to stand for the SNP in the Almond ward of Edinburgh. Might be worth going to see his statement on the 9th:greengrin

Heheh, they do seem a little touchy, don't they? You going to be allowed back on the show?

Danderhall Hibs
31-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Great post. I agree with every word.

patlowe
31-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Best post I've read on this issue and Michael Stewart.

I think he was an excellent player who would have been a tremendous one. A lot of his supposed 'arrogance' is, I believe, derived from the frustration of knowing that, with these ongoing injury/fitness issues, he would never completely fulfill that great potential. Thus he resented players of lesser talent but superiour fitness.

I think this is correct but I'm not sure there's much evidence that he was of such superior talent to the other players he played with. I thought he was a decent player but I wonder whether his innate intelligence, confidence and experience around great players at Man Utd gave him an inflated view of his own ability. I think he possibly speaks a better game than he was actually technically capable of - I remember a lot of iffy touches and overhit passes to go along with his undoubted desire and presence in midfield at that time - he wasn't in the same league technically as Beuzelin, Zemmama, Thomson or even Brown IMO.

I stress that I really liked him as a Hibs player, he did well at times and think it's more often than not a very good thing in football to have high expectations of those around you.

SunshineOnLeith
31-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Collins took a cheap shot at him by bringing on the youngsters at the end of the SLCF leaving Mikey on the bench.
I think that's why he didn't look too pleased.
I got the feeling MS and JC were antipodes, even before the final.

I'm sure it was Shelton Martis who got brought on, thought it was pretty funny at the time and still do!

lucky
31-12-2014, 12:59 PM
He's a bellend who now thinks he's qualifyed to stand for parliament. With his track record of switching sides he'll be a Tory by next Christmas

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Mikey Stewart the SNP :thumbsup:

BSEJVT
31-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Really interesting to read what recent posters thought of Stewart as a Hibs player and the guys who played with him and reinforces the fact that you can have different folk sitting together watching the same game and they would see different things.

Stewart was the exact opposite of what I expected ( I didn't pay him any attention before he came to us)

I expected this silkily talented midfielder who showed up on the pitch when he could be bothered.

Instead I saw this hard working committed midfielder who as an earlier poster alluded to wasn't the most talented.

I didn't have a problem with him not being as talented as I thought because he worked his arse off and if a player does that and isn't as talented as say Boozy, then he is still deserving of a place.

I never saw the Broony of that time as being technically brilliant either, in fact I would describe them as similar players but Scott had much more pace and was, in those days at least, a better finisher if a complete bammer.

As an extremely limited amateur / Sunday league player, whose best attribute was he tried like a bear, I liked to see guys putting in a shift and for those guys with limited ability to go as far as they could or in other words to get the maximum out of their abilities.

I would argue neither Brown or to a far greater extent Stewart did, and although Scott has had a very good career, I thought him capable of more.

However I loved to see the Boozy's, Zemmama's, Fletcher's, Benji's etc of this world doing something I was never capable of and something that made me sit up a think wow, that was amazing.

Whilst not in their league talent wise, IMO Thomson was closer to them than he was to Stewart & Brown.

IMO people should have high expectations of everyone around them in any walk of life, its the way that you help these people to live up to those high expectations that mark you as a leader of people.

Stewart by his own admission had little time for those "not of substance" and maybe his legacy as a player and certainly a captain is tainted by that and he now knows it.

It will be interesting to see how his political career flourishes unless he has modified that approach as he will need to have respect for people of all abilities and "substances" in his new role and certainly if he is to have any chance of being elected.

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Really interesting to read what recent posters thought of Stewart as a Hibs player and the guys who played with him and reinforces the fact that you can have different folk sitting together watching the same game and they would see different things.

Stewart was the exact opposite of what I expected ( I didn't pay him any attention before he came to us)

I expected this silkily talented midfielder who showed up on the pitch when he could be bothered.

Instead I saw this hard working committed midfielder who as an earlier poster alluded to wasn't the most talented.

I didn't have a problem with him not being as talented as I thought because he worked his arse off and if a player does that and isn't as talented as say Boozy, then he is still deserving of a place.

I never saw the Broony of that time as being technically brilliant either, in fact I would describe them as similar players but Scott had much more pace and was, in those days at least, a better finisher if a complete bammer.

As an extremely limited amateur / Sunday league player, whose best attribute was he tried like a bear, I liked to see guys putting in a shift and for those guys with limited ability to go as far as they could or in other words to get the maximum out of their abilities.

I would argue neither Brown or to a far greater extent Stewart did, and although Scott has had a very good career, I thought him capable of more.

However I loved to see the Boozy's, Zemmama's, Fletcher's, Benji's etc of this world doing something I was never capable of and something that made me sit up a think wow, that was amazing.

Whilst not in their league talent wise, IMO Thomson was closer to them than he was to Stewart & Brown.

IMO people should have high expectations of everyone around them in any walk of life, its the way that you help these people to live up to those high expectations that mark you as a leader of people.

Stewart by his own admission had little time for those "not of substance" and maybe his legacy as a player and certainly a captain is tainted by that and he now knows it.

It will be interesting to see how his political career flourishes unless he has modified that approach as he will need to have respect for people of all abilities and "substances" in his new role and certainly if he is to have any chance of being elected.

Fair point. Alex F did rate him very highly as a footballer before his first spate of injuries at Man U. Since then his game -skillwise- seemed to plateau. He remains a bit of an enigma.

johnbc70
31-12-2014, 05:46 PM
My memory of MS was being happy when he actually found a team mate with a pass. Too many times he found an opposition player.

johnbc70
31-12-2014, 06:17 PM
My memory of MS was being happy when he actually found a team mate with a pass. Too many times he found an opposition player.

So having listened to part of the interview now I owe MS an apology. Seems like it was everyone else's fault for not being in his superior footballing brain and seeing the pass he was intending, if only I knew that at the time and those frequently misplaced passes over 10 or 20 yards where of course no fault of his own.

Back to the rest of the interview.

Danderhall Hibs
31-12-2014, 06:23 PM
So having listened to part of the interview now I owe MS an apology. Seems like it was everyone else's fault for not being in his superior footballing brain and seeing the pass he was intending, if only I knew that at the time and those frequently misplaced passes over 10 or 20 yards where of course no fault of his own.

Back to the rest of the interview.

Sometimes it was though. I always remember him an Zemamma linking up really well cos they seemed to be on the same wavelength. Having said that he missed zemamma off his list of best players played with.

johnbc70
31-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Sometimes it was though. I always remember him an Zemamma linking up really well cos they seemed to be on the same wavelength. Having said that he missed zemamma off his list of best players played with.

Zemamma would not meet his 'player/man of substance' criteria I think. I admire his honesty so far but I am about half way through the interview and the overall impression is that if he did not like someone or agree with them then they were just a '****ing a***hole' If they did not meet his perceived standards then he looks down on them and thinks less of them.

I have my doubts about his motivation to be an MP as well - we know he is a strong independence supporter and that is what he is no doubt after, but how will he cope with the hundreds of letters/calls and visits from the ordinary folk in his constituency and their 'mundane' problems they will be looking for his help with. He cannot just tell them to '*** Off' as that seems to be his way of dealing with people who he thinks are not of substance.

kenny.ff
31-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Certainly likes a swear to himself, total fud of a man! You know what am like.... thats just my character....

Caversham Green
01-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Did he mention his partnership with John McGlynn?

Leithenhibby
01-01-2015, 09:01 AM

Nice, very nice :thumbsup:

bigwheel
01-01-2015, 10:57 AM
For a man who wishes to go into politics, this could be the first resignation interview, before his career starts !

johnbc70
01-01-2015, 11:18 AM
For a man who wishes to go into politics, this could be the first resignation interview, before his career starts !

Exactly - after listening to that I would not be voting for him if I was an SNP supporter.

Peevemor
01-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Exactly - after listening to that I would not be voting for him if I was an SNP supporter.

Apparently he's told Alex & Nicola to phone him if they need any advice.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Is swearing permitted in the House of Commons?

Anyway the wee lamb likes things cushty in Embra so would expect him to hang around much for voting on important stuff.

Whole world of difference between looking out for number on and looking after constituents.

Don't know how long his SNP activism has been active but I'd hope he wouldn't just be making a relatively opportunist move.