PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of the founding of Hibernian FC

Bostonhibby
18-12-2014, 12:18 PM
With the forthcoming 140th anniversary being on 6th August Next year. I thought it would be good to share what one of our Supporters Branches have been discussing.

Link below.

http://hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/category/news/

Glorious St Pat
18-12-2014, 12:32 PM
With the forthcoming 140th anniversary being on 6th August Next year. I thought it would be good to share what one of our Supporters Branches have been discussing.

Link below.

As a St Pats member, I thoroughly endorse the proposals put forward. I did propose to the branch a commemorative bust of Canon Hannan to be placed at his birthplace - Balingary.

A one- off strip incorporating the original badge and a plaque outside the West stand gets my vote.

Be interested to see what other branches of fans in general think.

Gatecrasher
18-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I was speaking with my dad about this the other week and I was thinking how good the away top would look as a Home top and a white collar?

hibbybrian
18-12-2014, 02:11 PM
This strip would be appropriate; maybe the knickers could be a bit shorter though :aok:

from

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/hibernian.htm

Elephant Stone
18-12-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm all for the commemorative badge and/or strip. The strip would have to be as similar to the original as possible though, this year's was a disaster.

Keith_M
19-12-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm all for the commemorative badge and/or strip. The strip would have to be as similar to the original as possible though, this year's was a disaster.

As much as I like our current badge, I wouldn't mind having the original as a one-off.

Not too keen on the white top and green knickerbockers though :greengrin

Andy74
19-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Link below.

Do we do it all again for 150 is the question in relation to commemorative strips and so on?

Good ideas but is 140 a significant one? Presume Hibs think so if they are discussing it. I do like a good retro strip.

AndyM_1875
19-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Do we do it all again for 150 is the question in relation to commemorative strips and so on?

Good ideas but is 140 a significant one? Presume Hibs think so if they are discussing it. I do like a good retro strip.

Would be good to have the away for next year as a white top with the old badge and perhaps a minimised sponsor.

The home simply has to be green with white sleeves Famous 5/Turnbulls tornadoes colours and look.

Carheenlea
19-12-2014, 02:11 PM
As a St Pats member, I thoroughly endorse the proposals put forward. I did propose to the branch a commemorative bust of Canon Hannan to be placed at his birthplace - Balingary.

A one- off strip incorporating the original badge and a plaque outside the West stand gets my vote.

I`ll be over in Ireland next two weeks for Christmas, and have always meant to take a trip to Balingarry to visit the birthplace of Edward Hannan. It`s a two hour drive from where the family stay in Co Galway, but slightly closer is Kilglass in Co Roscommon, the birthplace of Michael Whelahan. Between the two, I`ll try to visit one of them as I`m sure the desire for some peace and quiet will arise at some point!

lord bunberry
19-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I thought our first strip was hoops?

Andy74
19-12-2014, 03:02 PM
I thought our first strip was hoops?

Not until the next year - the link above has the order.

Some grim stuff in the 90s and 00s!

Bostonhibby
19-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Don't know TBH, they are definitely discussing so I passed on. Me too on the strip - got quite a few.

Islington Hibs
19-12-2014, 05:37 PM

Link below.

Great 140 years old, but if you want Hibs to have just 500 supporters go ahead with your Irish history. However Hibs are much more than that and while I respect that is one aspect of the club it would, from a marketing perspective alone, be mad to appeal to a such a small section of Scotland. Hibs are Irish, Scottish and British so lets not forget the entire rainbow please.

scoopyboy
19-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Do St.Pats run buses to games?

Bostonhibby
19-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Great 140 years old, but if you want Hibs to have just 500 supporters go ahead with your Irish history. However Hibs are much more than that and while I respect that is one aspect of the club it would, from a marketing perspective alone, be mad to appeal to a such a small section of Scotland. Hibs are Irish, Scottish and British so lets not forget the entire rainbow please.

:agree: hopefully you will see that my intent in posting was to pass on what I'd read to more than "just 500 supporters" Don't shoot the messenger please.

Islington Hibs
19-12-2014, 05:52 PM
:agree: hopefully you will see that my intent in posting was to pass on what I'd read to more than "just 500 supporters" Don't shoot the messenger please.

Fair cop!

All I would ask is lets be inclusive and not sectarian.

I actually think our current badge is about right celebrating Ireland, Leith and Edinburgh.:flag:

If it was my call I would have us playing in our 1950's thick cotton strips.

greenginger
19-12-2014, 06:00 PM
A while ago, I had a troll through the old census records for 1881 and 1871, specifically 11 South Gray Close which was the priests house for St Pats. or the Old Church as it is named.

Edward Hannan ( age 44 ) is noted as the head of the " household " and there is a Joseph Hannan ( age 24 ) also in residence. Would that be a brother or cousin ? . They also had 4 female servants living in the priests' house , liked their home comforts.

I also looked at the census for Glasgow , 71 Charlotte Street where Andrew Kerins ( Celtic's Brother Walfred ) was based. I was looking to see if any priest had been at St. Pats when Hibs were established and had moved to Glasgow's East End in time for setting up the lesser greens.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be. Would have been nice to send to the script writers of the film that was supposed to be made about the great Celtic Football Club invention of a charitable foundation funded by playing football. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
19-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Fair cop!

All I would ask is lets be inclusive and not sectarian.

I actually think our current badge is about right celebrating Ireland, Leith and Edinburgh.:flag:

If it was my call I would have us playing in our 1950's thick cotton strips.

:thumbsup: and a proper leather fitba that weighs 4 stone wet and a great big lace that splits your head when you header it.

oconnors_strip
19-12-2014, 06:56 PM

No they don't, many of their members travel on other branch buses and the bounce if they run one. One of their committee did mention running a bus next season

trev the hat
19-12-2014, 07:09 PM

Not as a branch but several joint ventures with the bounce, Ive had numerous cracking days away.
Having frequently travelled on Libby Travel, Carlton, Southern back in the day, as a branch member I'd be delighted if St Pats could have the away day pull as previously mentioned branches.

scoopyboy
19-12-2014, 07:12 PM
No they don't, many of their members travel on other branch buses and the bounce if they run one. One of their committee did mention running a bus next season

Thanks Nikki. Can't recall in recent times anyone saying they travelled with them.

It would be good if a club as established as St. Pats were to run a bus, the more buses the merrier.

scoopyboy
19-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Not as a branch but several joint ventures with the bounce, Ive had numerous cracking days away.
Having frequently travelled on Libby Travel, Carlton, Southern back in the day, as a branch member I'd be delighted if St Pats could have the away day pull as previously mentioned branches.

Yes, it would be good.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks Nikki. Can't recall in recent times anyone saying they travelled with them.

It would be good if a club as established as St. Pats were to run a bus, the more buses the merrier.

I know things have changed since i used to travel every other week on the bus, there used to be a few double deckers leave from the corner of albion road for away games for those who were not branch members, along with all the branch buses.

In the early 70s i'd reckon we would take 15 or so buses maybe more some games?

More and more i assume are going by car?

How many buses do we take these days?

trev the hat
19-12-2014, 07:23 PM
[/B]

Yes, it would be good.

Can be done Scoops, Falkirk semi final was 2 dedicated full branch buses iirc
& I enjoyed pre post craic immensely .
Winning team certainly is a strong persuader (see Robert Cray)

Glorious St Pat
19-12-2014, 07:33 PM

The last time I spoke to Big Gordon they were considering it.

scoopyboy
19-12-2014, 07:34 PM
I know things have changed since i used to travel every other week on the bus, there used to be a few double deckers leave from the corner of albion road for away games for those who were not branch members, along with all the branch buses.

In the early 70s i'd reckon we would take 15 or so buses maybe more some games?

More and more i assume are going by car?

How many buses do we take these days?

There are very few away games where Carlton (Baldy Foghorn), Four in Hand (IFONLY) and East Lothian Hibs (Brooster / Scoopyboy) don't run buses.

Milton Mowray (monkton harp) and Linlithgow ( can't recall organiser, sorry) also run buses. Apologies if I have missed other regular buses (possibly Dalkeith / Bonnyrigg).

I love seeing away car parks full of Hibs buses.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2014, 07:39 PM
There are very few away games where Carlton (Baldy Foghorn), Four in Hand (IFONLY) and East Lothian Hibs (Brooster / Scoopyboy) don't run buses.

Milton Mowray (monkton harp) and Linlithgow ( can't recall organiser, sorry) also run buses. Apologies if I have missed other regular buses (possibly Dalkeith / Bonnyrigg).

I love seeing away car parks full of Hibs buses.

:agree: It might be an old fashioned view, but like you i love seeing an away car park full of our buses. Its only really cup semi's and finals now i suppose where we do this.

Yet on average it does appear numbers are still decent. :top marks

Glorious St Pat
19-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Ok I'm going to bite....it's about celebrating our roots so therefore original badge and colours would suffice. No need for compromise as we already have done so.

Get over it we were formed by Irishmen who took the name Hibernian "the most Irish name of all"!

Pretty Boy
19-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Ok I'm going to bite....it's about celebrating our roots so therefore original badge and colours would suffice. No need for compromise as we already have done so.

Get over it we were formed by Irishmen who took the name Hibernian "the most Irish name of all"!

Should a 140 year anniversary not celebrate the whole spectrum and not just the roots?

I've no issue with celebrating our roots, I'm exceptionally proud of them, but we are so much more than that.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Should a 140 year anniversary not celebrate the whole spectrum and not just the roots?

I've no issue with celebrating our roots, I'm exceptionally proud of them, but we are so much more than that.

:agree: Every anniversary is about all the years not just the conception of the club. If that were the case we'd just have a celebration of our Irishness every year?

Glorious St Pat
19-12-2014, 07:59 PM
:agree: Every anniversary is about all the years not just the conception of the club. If that were the case we'd just have a celebration of our Irishness every year?

Fair point but why the objections by some to celebrate the origins of our club. My branch use the original crest in its banner and it's merchandise and I haven't seen much objection?

trev the hat
19-12-2014, 08:01 PM
There's good hibees out there who for whatever reason may not see 150 anniversary, that's reason enough for me.
Proud 14 decades & counting !!

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Fair point but why the objections by some to celebrate the origins of our club. My branch use the original crest in its banner and it's merchandise and I haven't seen much objection?

Who is doing this?

Glorious St Pat
19-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Who is doing this?

Islingtonhibby for one on a previous post.

heretoday
19-12-2014, 08:06 PM
If this is for the 140th anniversary, I sure hope I'm around for the 150th!

Should be good! :flag:

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Nonsense, he's stated very similar to what i said. If this was turned into another St Patricks day, it would turn away a lot of fans.

We need to celebrate the start middle and now, we are a completely different club now to when we were founded.

Bostonhibby
19-12-2014, 08:15 PM

He didn't mate ,down to interpretation I suppose but it was me he was responding to and I never took it that way - I think it's about the whole, as some posters have already pointed out.

Glorious St Pat
19-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Nonsense, he's stated very similar to what i said. If this was turned into another St Patricks day, it would turn away a lot of fans.

We need to celebrate the start middle and now, we are a completely different club now to when we were founded.

Islington Hibs said we had to be inclusive and not sectarian. Don't get the last bit at all. But it is interesting that some view celebrating 140 years through the entirety of the club whilst others view it as a celebration of our founders.

To me, like any anniversary, you celebrate the event that took place. For me that is the birth of Hibs. To liken it to a St Patricks day celebration is way off the mark - which we used to do by the way and many supporters with a sprig if shamrocks in their lapel.

Glorious St Pat
19-12-2014, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=Bostonhibby;4251942]He didn't mate ,down to interpretation I suppose but it was me he was responding to and I never took it that way - I think it's about the whole, as some posters have already pointed out.[/QUOTE

So when you celebrate a wedding anniversary do you celebrate the entirety of the marriage or the day you waltzed down the aisle?

Bostonhibby
19-12-2014, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Bostonhibby;4251942]He didn't mate ,down to interpretation I suppose but it was me he was responding to and I never took it that way - I think it's about the whole, as some posters have already pointed out.[/QUOTE

So when you celebrate a wedding anniversary do you celebrate the entirety of the marriage or the day you waltzed down the aisle?

The entirety, but I see your point.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Islington Hibs said we had to be inclusive and not sectarian. Don't get the last bit at all. But it is interesting that some view celebrating 140 years through the entirety of the club whilst others view it as a celebration of our founders.

To me, like any anniversary, you celebrate the event that took place. For me that is the birth of Hibs. To liken it to a St Patricks day celebration is way off the mark - which we used to do by the way and many supporters with a sprig if shamrocks in their lapel.

I will celebrate my 54th birthday a damn site differently than i did my 1st 18th 21st and 40th. Like the club i have not stood still.

Pretty Boy
19-12-2014, 08:29 PM

The entirety surely.

I was at my Grandparents golden wedding a few year ago and far more than just the wedding day itself was celebrated and acknowledged. Births, deaths, holidays, parties, other anniversaries, friendships...

ronaldo7
19-12-2014, 08:33 PM
I think it's great that St Pats (my branch), have got the ball rolling on this one. I'm sure if anyone wants to adapt the idea or add on any other ideas, they'd be welcomed. ALL INCLUSIVE are normally better all round.:wink:

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2014, 08:34 PM
This is our anniversary, not as the original poster said the celebration of the founding of Hibs. These are two different things entirely.

If anyone wants to celebrate our beginning, then off you go nobody is stopping you, and nobody should. Just as celebrating our anniversary is there for all to do so too.

marinello59
19-12-2014, 08:43 PM
A chance to celebrate when it comes to Hibs? I'm in. :thumbsup:

Canongatehibs
20-12-2014, 09:25 PM

would it be rude to enquire just what you find so wrong in celebrating our Irish upbringing? And what nonsense suggesting things would be turned into 'another St Patrick's day'. It would, in fact, be utterly healthy and celebrate our rich history in the most excellent manner. Im looking forward to next year's celebrations. Well done St Pats.

superfurryhibby
20-12-2014, 11:05 PM
This is our anniversary, not as the original poster said the celebration of the founding of Hibs. These are two different things entirely.

If anyone wants to celebrate our beginning, then off you go nobody is stopping you, and nobody should. Just as celebrating our anniversary is there for all to do so too.

Would that not be the anniversary of our founding?

RIP
20-12-2014, 11:25 PM
If this is for the 140th anniversary, I sure hope I'm around for the 150th!

Sorry mate but from what I've heard said you will probably be gone tomorrow.

One Day
21-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Sorry mate but from what I've heard said you will probably be gone tomorrow.

Brilliant

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2014, 10:39 AM
would it be rude to enquire just what you find so wrong in celebrating our Irish upbringing? And what nonsense suggesting things would be turned into 'another St Patrick's day'. It would, in fact, be utterly healthy and celebrate our rich history in the most excellent manner. Im looking forward to next year's celebrations. Well done St Pats.

I think people are not getting what i am saying, i do not have a problem in celebrating our Irish beginnings. If folk want to do this then on they go, i hope they make a great day and success of it.

In my opinion the 140th anniversary of our club is much more than just the start, and the whole 140 years should be celebrated on the day not as i said just a select few.

And that is why i said originally that the two things are different.

Would that not be the anniversary of our founding?

See above.

marinello59
21-12-2014, 11:34 AM
I think people are not getting what i am saying, i do not have a problem in celebrating our Irish beginnings. If folk want to do this then on they go, i hope they make a great day and success of it.

In my opinion the 140th anniversary of our club is much more than just the start, and the whole 140 years should be celebrated on the day not as i said just a select few.

And that is why i said originally that the two things are different.

See above.

I get what you are saying and I agree, we should celebrate 140 years OF Hibernian. Our founding, the Famous Five, famous matches, great players from all eras, the Malmo song etc. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2014, 02:19 PM
I get what you are saying and I agree, we should celebrate 140 years OF Hibernian. Our founding, the Famous Five, famous matches, great players from all eras, the Malmo song etc. :greengrin

:greengrin He still dines out on that now, even though he has no recollection of the day pretty much after 4ish. :cheers::cheers: :zzzzz!:

Jonnyboy
21-12-2014, 07:45 PM
:greengrin He still dines out on that now, even though he has no recollection of the day pretty much after 11am-ish. :cheers::cheers: :zzzzz!:

Fixed that for you G :greengrin

Billy Whizz
21-12-2014, 07:51 PM
:greengrin He still dines out on that now, even though he has no recollection of the day pretty much after 4ish. :cheers::cheers: :zzzzz!:

Not too bad a little song for someone under the influence, certainly caught on amongst the support. Words could do with a bit of improvement though