PDA

View Full Version : Football Programs

HH81
14-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Do many still collect these? I have stopped and due to the internet I don't feel these are needed.

The other week I was at Huddersfield Town game and they have stopped doing them in a normal format that we all know. They instead do it on the form of a news paper type. I was shocked and my mate said it had not gone down all that well. They priced it at £2.00, how would you feel if Hibs did this?

Jack
14-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Paper is dead ;-)

I might even go back to buying a programme or two if it was in a format that could be read on a phone or tablet. How Hibs could get round the issue of folk forwarding it on I don't know.

MartinfaePorty
14-12-2014, 12:38 PM
The issue is having unique content that's not available elsewhere. In this age of digital media and everything being available on the internet or social media it's very difficult to produce something in hard copy that people will buy. Not sure what the answer is but when I used to buy a programme I read it cover to cover in the following week. These days it takes about 2 minutes and I very rarely buy one.

scoopyboy
14-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Do many still collect these? I have stopped and due to the internet I don't feel these are needed.

The other week I was at Huddersfield Town game and they have stopped doing them in a normal format that we all know. They instead do it on the form of a news paper type. I was shocked and my mate said it had not gone down all that well. They priced it at £2.00, how would you feel if Hibs did this?

I would be furious.

Buying a programme at Easter Road for me is part of supporting Hibs and whilst my collection isn't as good as others that post on here I will never throw it away.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2014, 02:59 PM
I think they are on the way out, there's virtually nothing in them thats not available today online. And all the stuff in them is old news too, probably the reason numbers are dropping off i'm afraid.

I can see the day of the virtual programme very soon.

Purple & Green
15-12-2014, 09:39 AM
I seem to remember there was talk of the SPL producing one programme for all the weekends game.

Programmes are very expensive for what they are, and the club I'd guess struggle to break even with them such is the cost of production. I'd guess they won't exist in their present form in five years time. What they will evolve into I'm not sure.

Iggy Pope
15-12-2014, 03:51 PM
There is too much **** in them and I'd heartily advocate a return to a 4 or 8 page A5 format.
Either that or cut down on the gloss and give us something like Cowdenbeath produce, which is factual, historical and a good read.

I collect all sorts, but if it wasn't for my Hibs interest, I wouldn't want anything beyond around 1984. In saying that it will be a sad day if they disappear though. Part of the Matchday for a great many people.

Bristolhibby
15-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Bath rugby and IIRC the SRU do a digital version that you can download to your phone.

I still like the physical programmes and continue to buy them.

J

Bristolhibby
15-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Bath rugby and IIRC the SRU do a digital version that you can download to your phone.

I still like the physical programmes and continue to buy them.

J

Brooster
15-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Buying a programme is part of the matchday experience for me, always has been but strangely enough I hardly ever read it. I've got every Hibs home from the last 45 years and many before that.....it's an obsession with me now plus I like the thought of supporting the club financially every time I buy one.

Frogga
15-12-2014, 06:42 PM
I buy them as much for the 'souvenir' aspect as I do for the reading. I don't buy them every game at Easter Road but if I visit another stadium I will buy them as a memento.

Islington Hibs
16-12-2014, 08:25 AM
I buy them as much for the 'souvenir' aspect as I do for the reading. I don't buy them every game at Easter Road but if I visit another stadium I will buy them as a memento.

While I suspect they are on the way out it is a record of being there. The memory fades otherwise. Clearly for content they are a waste of money, but that is not the point really. (for me anyway)