PDA

View Full Version : Match Ratings for Alloa

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Going to give my thoughts on today's excellent win but rather boring performance.

Oxley: 7/10 Nothing to report. Took everything in the air cleanly and distribution fine.

Gray: 8/10 Up until he went off injured was our best attacking threat. He was desperate to hit the byline and always leads by example.

Hanlon: 7/10 Steady as usual. Made one or two marauding runs runs.

Fontaine: 7/10 Much the same as Hanlon, good in the air. Would like to see him carry the ball forward if unopposed.

Stevenson: 7/10 Didn't do anything wrong. Didn't do anything exemplary.

Robertson: 7/10 Almost scored after bursting a gut to get forward. Broke up numerous Alloa attacks.

Craig: 6/10 Slow and ponderous. Too often he gets caught flat footed in midfield and beaten.

Allan: 6/10 Worst game in a while. Many of his passes went astray or straight to them. Spent the last fifteen minutes playing keep ball when we should have been showing these smaller teams what it's like to play a big team at home.

Handling: 5/10 Gets a five for his goal. I just don't get it. His game consists of coming deep to get ball and giving it straight back to the player that gave him it. Almost cost us today with poor distribution or ball retention. His run into box was good for his goal.

Malonga: 6/10 Some good touches, some poor. Not the best performance I've seen from the big man. It shows that he is a true goal scorer that a poor touch can get a goal.

Cummings: 6/10 Made some great runs into attacking positions and showed strength when holding up ball. Although he missed a variety of chances he still got himself into the positions to get a shot off.

Booth: 6/10 Not a huge amount to do.

Kennedy: See above.

Stubbs: 6/10 Only thing to mention is that when we have corners can we at least try to do something different. Allan had 17 attempts and I think we only mustered one Fontaine header. We need to put teams under pressure so maybe Craig or Stevenson could fire them in from the right.

"And on the day that 67-year-old Norwich resident Mary Leese has woken from a three-year coma, we’ll be asking – what’s the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had?"

Crammond Hibee
13-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Going to give my thoughts on today's excellent win but rather boring performance.

Oxley: 7/10 Nothing to report. Took everything in the air cleanly and distribution fine.

Gray: 8/10 Up until he went off injured was our best attacking threat. He was desperate to hit the byline and always leads by example.

Fontaine: 7/10 Much the same as Hanlon, good in the air. Would like to see him carry the ball forward if unopposed.

Robertson: 7/10 Almost scored after bursting a gut to get forward. Broke up numerous Alloa attacks.

Craig: 6/10 Slow and ponderous. Too often he gets caught flat footed in midfield and beaten.

Allan: 6/10 Worst game in a while. Many of his passes went astray or straight to them. Spent the last fifteen minutes playing keep ball when we should have been showing these smaller teams what it's like to play a big team at home.

Handling: 5/10 Gets a five for his goal. I just don't get it. His game consists of coming deep to get ball and giving it straight back to the player that gave him it. Almost cost us today with poor distribution or ball retention. His run into box was good for his goal.

Malonga: 6/10 Some good touches, some poor. Not the best performance I've seen from the big man. It shows that he is a true goal scorer that a poor touch can get a goal.

Cummings: 6/10 Made some great runs into attacking positions and showed strength when holding up ball. Although he missed a variety of chances he still got himself into the positions to get a shot off.

Stubbs: 6/10 Only thing to mention is that when we have corners can we at least try to do something different. Allan had 17 attempts and I think we only mustered one Fontaine header. We need to put teams under pressure so maybe Craig or Stevenson could fire them in from the right.

"And on the day that 67-year-old Norwich resident Mary Leese has woken from a three-year coma, we’ll be asking – what’s the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had?"
I thought nobody deserved above a 6 and probably all deserved 6s
as well as Danny Handling
Good result but poor performance

Real Emerald
13-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Malonga was terrible, didn't look interested and his lazy attempts to control the ball and make passes was really frustrating to watch. He got a goal that was more luck than anything else but just didn't show the commitment that the poor fans deserved for braving that today. Allan was playing too deep most of the time and I'm not sure what Handling is doing in that position but he did score.

Alloa were honking so I would give 5 marks to each of the players for getting a win and move on.

Brads Laing
13-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Thought Allen was superb again, Fontaine was excellent too. Didn't think Danny was as bad as before but again, especially in second half just an extra man when I think Sammy or Kennedy would give more. Lewis did well and Craig and Robertson had decent games too. Not our best performance ever but good enough

theonlywayisup
13-12-2014, 07:00 PM

Allan was easily the best player on the pitch! Apart from his first three passes his passing was brilliant. A joy to watch!

snooky
13-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Here's my take...

Oxley: 6/10 Did everything that was required – relatively quiet day at the office.

Gray: 7/10 Played well. Wide open on the right loads of times. Should have been given more passes.

Hanlon: 7/10 Steady. Generally I’m not a Hanlon fan but he was close to my MOTM

Fontaine: 6/10 ... as Oxley

Stevenson: 7/10 One of the few who should some enthusiasm and energy - played okay.

Robertson: 6/10 Okay in flashes.

Craig: 4/10 He sure knows where No Man’s Land is. Superb moaner.

Allan: 8/10 Contrary to the OP, I thought he was head and shoulders above everyone on the park. Covered every inch of the park and always looking for the ball. Overdoes the flash sometimes but at least he has the confidence and ability to try it. My MOTM.

Handling: 6/10 Gets an extra point for the goal.

Malonga: 4/10 The queue at Lidl’s moves faster. Spawny goal but we’ll take it.

Cummings: 5/10 Had a couple of good chances but blew them.

Booth: 6/10 Never put a foot wrong when he came on. Great cross leading up to 2nd goal.

Kennedy: Not enough time on the park

Hefferman: Not enough time on the park. (Was the wrong sub IMO).

Stubbs: 6/10: Needs to kick a few butts. 8000+ people braved the cold today to watch a team of subbuteo players waiting to be finger-flicked. Can’t remember any excitement in the game save seeing the first goal go in. The second one was more of a feeling of relief. Just as well Alloa were dire.

hibbytam
13-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Here's my take...

Oxley: 6/10 Did everything that was required – relatively quiet day at the office.

Gray: 7/10 Played well. Wide open on the right loads of times. Should have been given more passes.

Hanlon: 7/10 Steady. Generally I’m not a Hanlon fan but he was close to my MOTM

Fontaine: 6/10 ... as Oxley

Stevenson: 7/10 One of the few who should some enthusiasm and energy - played okay.

Robertson: 6/10 Okay in flashes.

Craig: 4/10 He sure knows where No Man’s Land is. Superb moaner.

Allan: 8/10 Contrary to the OP, I thought he was head and shoulders above everyone on the park. Covered every inch of the park and always looking for the ball. Overdoes the flash sometimes but at least he has the confidence and ability to try it. My MOTM.

Handling: 6/10 Gets an extra point for the goal.

Malonga: 4/10 The queue at Lidl’s moves faster. Spawny goal but we’ll take it.

Cummings: 5/10 Had a couple of good chances but blew them.

Booth: 6/10 Never put a foot wrong when he came on. Great cross leading up to 2nd goal.

Kennedy: Not enough time on the park

Hefferman: Not enough time on the park. (Was the wrong sub IMO).

Stubbs: 6/10: Needs to kick a few butts. 8000+ people braved the cold today to watch a team of subbuteo players waiting to be finger-flicked. Can’t remember any excitement in the game save seeing the first goal go in. The second one was more of a feeling of relief. Just as well Alloa were dire.

Do you not think that Alloa being dire was a direct result of our performance? Like playing with every man behind the ball, because if they didn't we have the players to take advantage of the space.

I don't get this negativity. We won. At home, which has been a problem this season. On a cold winters afternoon. By two goals. And a clean sheet. And little threat to that clean sheet.

And I don't think the second goal was a feeling of relief. I think it was more bemusement, as to how exactly that managed to go in.

Tricla
13-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Any other team wins ugly and they get plaudits for grinding out a result despite not playing well.

We do it and folk are moaning as much as we do when we lose.

Pray4Marc
13-12-2014, 07:38 PM

Allan 6 & Handling 5? You can't have been at the game today. Allan was our most creative player, Handling scored the opener and worked his socks off all afternoon.

davieh
13-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Oxley 7
Gray 7
Hanlon 7
Fontaine 7
Stevenson 6
Craig 5
Robertson 6
Allan 8
Handling 6
Malonga 6
Cummings 5

Ozyhibby
13-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Any other team wins ugly and they get plaudits for grinding out a result despite not playing well.

We do it and folk are moaning as much as we do when we lose.

I'll take the win every day of the week.

Hibeewilly
13-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Allan was easily the best player on the pitch! Apart from his first three passes his passing was brilliant. A joy to watch!
Agreed - some of Allans passes were Scholesesque. Great passer of the ball and always prepared to try a difficult pass which can cut teams open even although he stands to incur the wrath of some of our fans. Top player and is showing great consistency now. Get his contract extended please Hibs

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:07 PM
A lot of folk are in danger of going ott about Scott Allan imo. Very wasteful in possession, most of his corners were poor, didn't create very much at all.

For all the chat about him being the best player in the league by a mile etc he doesn't show it enough.

Stuarty27
13-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Allan was by far the best player on the park, head and shoulders above everyone else.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Allan was by far the best player on the park, head and shoulders above everyone else.

Not today he wasn't - that's just a line that's getting spat out so regularly folk are starting to believe it!

col02
13-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Had that match today been a cup match would the consensus be get the job done by winning the match? Hibs are a big scalp for most teams apart from Rangers and Hearts in the championship and as such any and every win for Hibs against any championship side is a good win imho.

Tricla
13-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I'll take the win every day of the week.

:agree:

Stuarty27
13-12-2014, 08:14 PM
It was a crap game too watch in freezing conditions, I still haven't fully heated up.

A 2-0 win over Alloa at home the way we played probably shows were we are at the minute.

Stuarty27
13-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Not today he wasn't - that's just a line that's getting spat out so regularly folk are starting to believe it!

Yes he was, maybe he didn't have the best he has played but he was defo the best player on the pitch, the rest were bang on average

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Yes he was, maybe he didn't have the best he has played but he was defo the best player on the pitch, the rest were bang on average

He continually gave the ball away from the 1st minute to the last. I expect more from him.

hibee_girl
13-12-2014, 08:19 PM
He continually gave the ball away from the 1st minute to the last. I expect more from him.

I don't think he was fully fit today, nothing to back that up right enough but just my opinion after watching him today.

theonlywayisup
13-12-2014, 08:19 PM
A lot of folk are in danger of going ott about Scott Allan imo. Very wasteful in possession, most of his corners were poor, didn't create very much at all.

For all the chat about him being the best player in the league by a mile etc he doesn't show it enough.

You are talking Tom Kite!

Apart from a couple of corners, most were well delivered. He rarely loses possession. He usually plays a forward pass. He opened play up so much. Is it his fault that those receiving the pass did nothing with it.

He played a lot of telling passes. In a better team he would be a great player. Right now he is just a good player.

Stuarty27
13-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Rubbish, he had a minimum of 10 absolutely beautiful diagonal passes. His set pieces deliveries are terrific as well.

He was poor last week against Falkirk, but today he was the standout player.

Danderhall Hibs

Apart from a couple of corners, most were well delivered. He rarely loses possession. He usually plays a forward pass. He opened play up so much. Is it his fault that those receiving the pass did nothing with it.

He played a lot of telling passes. In a better team he would be a great player. Right now he is just a good player.

He lost the ball 3 times in the first 3 minutes alone. Take the blinkers off.

theonlywayisup

Rubbish

snooky
13-12-2014, 08:21 PM

I wonder what the score would have been had he not been on the park today?
I just wonder.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Rubbish, he had a minimum of 10 absolutely beautiful diagonal passes. His set pieces deliveries are terrific as well.

He was poor last week against Falkirk, but today he was the standout player.

He gave the ball away at least as many times as he played those "beautiful diagonals"

theonlywayisup
13-12-2014, 08:24 PM

Read my first post on this thread. His first three passes were very poor, but after that his passes were good.

Maybe it is you that needs to take of the blinkers.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Rubbish

Great input.

I wonder what the score would have been had he not been on the park today?
I just wonder.

Don't know if it'd be that much different? Did he create either goal?

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Read my first post on this thread. His first three passes were very poor, but after that his passes were good.

Maybe it is you that needs to take of the blinkers.

I don't need to - I don't want any hibs player to be poor. I just think a lot of folk are getting a bit excited over him - he has lots of flaws imo - and due to getting carried away they can only see the good.

thebakerboy
13-12-2014, 08:28 PM
OPINIONS IN FOOTBALL specially at Easter Road but thats what being a Hibby is all about.:flag:

theonlywayisup
13-12-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't need to - I don't want any hibs player to be poor. I just think a lot of folk are getting a bit excited over him - he has lots of flaws imo - and due to getting carried away they can only see the good.

So please tell me, who in you opinion has performed better than Allan has over any two month period during the last five years for Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:39 PM
So please tell me, who in you opinion has performed better than Allan has over any two month period during the last five years for Hibs.

Stokes, Liam Miller, mcbride, Griffiths and O'Connor.

Ben Williams when he went on that penalty saving run.

I'll need to have a think though - maybe Claros?

weonlywon6-2
13-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Played poorly,won the game on a cold winters day in a dull league,3points will do 👍

LaMotta
13-12-2014, 08:45 PM

I thought folk were going ott about Allan earlier this season but the last couple of months he has been by far our best player. Think you are wrong about him today...even with the misplaced passes he was the best player on the park.

Some of his world cup willy cross field passes were brilliant today as well as the way he can take ball into feet and turn a player with ease.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:50 PM
I thought folk were going ott about Allan earlier this season but the last couple of months he has been by far our best player. Think you are wrong about him today...even with the misplaced passes he was the best player on the park.

Some of his world cup willy cross field passes were brilliant today as well as the way he can take ball into feet and turn a player with ease.

I feel a wee bit like Craig on Strictly when he tries to give some constructive criticism and gets shouted down by Len and the other two cos they're desperate to get the :top marks out. :greengrin

theonlywayisup
13-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Stokes, Liam Miller, mcbride, Griffiths and O'Connor.

Ben Williams when he went on that penalty saving run.

I'll need to have a think though - maybe Claros?

So in Allan's position, you think that only Miller, McBride and maybe Claros have performed better than Allan as a midfielder over any two month period during the last five years. Pretty high praise, though maybe not considering those that have played midfield recently.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 08:54 PM
So in Allan's position, you think that only Miller, McBride and maybe Claros have performed better than Allan as a midfielder over any two month period during the last five years. Pretty high praise, though maybe not considering those that have played midfield recently.

Off the top of my head that's all I can think of. I hope he goes on to play at the level everyone says he's at already.

hibee_girl
13-12-2014, 08:56 PM
I feel a wee bit like Craig on Strictly when he tries to give some constructive criticism and gets shouted down by Len and the other two cos they're desperate to get the :top marks out. :greengrin

:faf:

theonlywayisup
13-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Off the top of my head that's all I can think off. I hope he goes on to play at the level everyone says he's at already.

Agree 100%.

I predict he will be playing for Scotland within three years, sadly not at Hibs.

Criswell
13-12-2014, 08:58 PM

Who is McBride?

Hiber-nation
13-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Who is McBride?

He did the coveted (on here) Matty Jack role brilliantly for about 3 or 4 months then got injured and was never the same again.

SunshineOnLeith
13-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooo

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Allan 6 & Handling 5? You can't have been at the game today. Allan was our most creative player, Handling scored the opener and worked his socks off all afternoon.

Read my post. I've explained why. Handling was terrible.

My seat is t178. I was there.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

S4uzee
13-12-2014, 09:21 PM
People moaning about Scott Allan, dearie me!! Our best midfielder in years

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 09:22 PM
People moaning about Scott Allan, dearie me!! Our best midfielder in years

If you mean me, I'm not moaning just being realistic rather than spouting hyperbole.

PPZPOL
13-12-2014, 09:34 PM
I just think watching him (Allan) is a joy, even today I mentioned that I was getting bored of saying how good some of his passing and ability on the ball was/is. If we could get all our players fit it would be great but I fear we never will.

Special mention to D.Gray, absolute workhorse and a nightmare to play against for opposition players. Hope injury isn't serious. Great signing. More of the same please AS!!!

whiskyhibby
13-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Allan was outstanding today, he really looks the part and could easily play in any midfield in Scotland

Pretty Boy
13-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Suprised at some of the low marks for Handling. I thought he did well today. Went about his task without fuss and contributed a goal as well.

I've been far from a fan but the last twice I Have seen him (away v Alloa and today) I've been impressed.

whiskyhibby
13-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Suprised at some of the low marks for Handling. I thought he did well today. Went about his task without fuss and contributed a goal as well.

I've been far from a fan but the last twice I Have seen him (away v Alloa and today) I've been impressed.

Agree, he did well today, not as well as the last Alloa game, but he deserves his place in the team

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Suprised at some of the low narks for Handling. I thought he did well today. Went about his task without fuss and contributed a goal as well.

He done ok - played a couple of decent passes and as you say got the goal.

Generally though folk make their mind up early doors and then can't/won't change their mind.

marinello59
13-12-2014, 09:53 PM

Me too. The lad has it, I reckon he will have won a lot more people over by the end of the season.

wookie70
13-12-2014, 10:03 PM

I thought his corners were pretty decent. Most were put in with a bit of pace and we could have scored a couple of goals from them at least. I have no issue when he loses possession trying a defence splitting pass in the final third but today particularly early on he caused us a few problems with some poor world cup balls.

I didn't think he was at his best today but he has been very good this season and looks a class above most in this league

Jack
13-12-2014, 10:19 PM
We won.

portyhibernian
13-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Alloa were absolutely terrible today, and we pretty much strolled it. I don't think we were brilliant by any means but some people are just never happy. As far as I'm concerned we take the 3 points and move on to the next game. I think some people both on here and at the games (for example the guy that sits behind me) don't understand or take much in regarding what happens on the pitch. I sit in the west lower and Malonga was constantly taking pelters, as he has since he signed. He doesn't do enough running for some peoples liking, fine, but in terms of being an intelligent footballer only Scott Allan is on his level.

Allan45
13-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Alloa were absolutely terrible today, and we pretty much strolled it. I don't think we were brilliant by any means but some people are just never happy. As far as I'm concerned we take the 3 points and move on to the next game. I think some people both on here and at the games (for example the guy that sits behind me) don't understand or take much in regarding what happens on the pitch. I sit in the west lower and Malonga was constantly taking pelters, as he has since he signed. He doesn't do enough running for some peoples liking, fine, but in terms of being an intelligent footballer only Scott Allan is on his level.
Malonga and Allan are quality footballers, made a real difference to the crap we had last season, why do people moan? It's a good thing we are rebuilding after a decade of decline....
get behind this team, hopefully improve in the January transfer window....

gegs70
13-12-2014, 10:48 PM
It was a good win but strangely very dull and little excitement....with just over 8000 fans January can't come soon enough!

keep the faith
13-12-2014, 10:53 PM

We can't have supporters only seeing the good eh!!

It's comments like this which keep the negative cloud over this forum and the club.

ehf
13-12-2014, 11:34 PM

That is just nonsense.

Diclonius
13-12-2014, 11:42 PM
He did the coveted (on here) Matty Jack role brilliantly for about 3 or 4 months then got injured and was never the same again.

:agree:

McBride was fantastic at the start of the 09-10 season under Yogi until his injury. Kept the team together.

danhibees1875
14-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Oxley had nothing to do.
Defence was solid, full backs got forward well.
Midfield tried but couldn't create much. I'd previously gone on about Scott Allen being way above this level, if anyone had seen him today they'd severely question that opinion. Thought he underperformed.
Strikers didn't look great, although Malonga looked comfortable, if not a bit slow on occasion, on the ball.

Robertson should have scored and Cummings a couple, would have added a bit of shine to the 3 points.

R11Loaded
14-12-2014, 02:08 AM
If Cummings could get composed infront of goal it'd be fantastic because the he gets into great positions

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 07:21 AM
We can't have supporters only seeing the good eh!!

It's comments like this which keep the negative cloud over this forum and the club.

You can only see the good but it's blinkered. And your 2nd comments nonsense - it's an opinion. If everyone agreed it'd be a bit boring.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 07:22 AM
That is just nonsense.

It's not. 3 times in the first 3 minutes and then regularly thereafter. Watch it again.

overdrive
14-12-2014, 08:43 AM
I thought Allan was uncharacteristically poor today. His passing was terrible, a few duff corners (albeit more decent than bad) and gave the ball away. Hev was good at going past men at some points. I think he suffers from being played way too deep.

Again our starting full backs were outstanding. I'm surprised nobody has commented on Stevenson's first touch this season. It is almost like Murphy's.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Me too. The lad has it, I reckon he will have won a lot more people over by the end of the season.

Can I ask what he has?

I am genuinely interested to know why he is so highly rated, I don't dislike him and am not keen to slate him.

Yesterday the best thing he did was follow the ball into the box and he got his reward with the goal. Apart from that I don't know, all he seems to do is drop deep, take the ball and offload back to where it came.

He was sloppy on two occasions and gave the ball away. On both those occasions Alloa broke and almost scored.

As for the Scott Allen chat, for me him and Malonga are worth paying money to watch and probably won't be with us that long. Yesterday he didn't have his best game that's all.

Hermit Crab
14-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Canny beat .net after a rare home win. We won, we got 3 points ok it wasn't a great game or performance but a win is a win! Cant believe there are shops moaning about it!!!

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 09:00 AM
I thought his corners were pretty decent. Most were put in with a bit of pace and we could have scored a couple of goals from them at least. I have no issue when he loses possession trying a defence splitting pass in the final third but today particularly early on he caused us a few problems with some poor world cup balls.

I didn't think he was at his best today but he has been very good this season and looks a class above most in this league

I'm genuinely amazed at this. We had 17 corners, only two caused any problem. Fontaine header and a Malonga glancer.

I just think if it doesn't cause much bother why not try a different approach. We have big guys in the team and Allen just floats them from the right.

Compare it to Alloa who had one corner in the 2nd half. The ball was whipped in with pace and they nearly got a goal had it not been for some brave defending and a stroke of luck.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Canny beat .net after a rare home win. We won, we got 3 points ok it wasn't a great game or performance but a win is a win! Cant believe there are shops moaning about it!!!

Nobody is moaning.

I went home happy but there is room for improvement. It wasn't a good performance. I'd imagine the Hibs players will also be unhappy that they only scored two against a rank Alloa side.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 09:05 AM

These type of posts are why a cloud of negativity continues to cloud the club and .net.

Hermit Crab
14-12-2014, 09:07 AM
These type of posts are why a cloud of negativity continues to cloud the club and .net.

Im not the one moaning or being negative. I'm delighted with the win. Stubbs said winning ugly would have to do this season.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Im not the one moaning or being negative. I'm delighted with the win. Stubbs said winning ugly would have to do this season.

You are moaning though. Can't see many other folk moaning.

keep the faith
14-12-2014, 09:11 AM

No. Posters trying desperately to convince people that the most promising player we have had in years is not that great. That's negativity!!

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 09:12 AM
No. Posters trying desperately to convince people that the most promising player we have had in years is not that great. That's negativity!!

I wasn't trying to convince anyone. I was stating an opinion.

What does that get classified under?

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 09:14 AM

It is though.

I started this thread and made clear I was happy with a 2-0 win.

I wasn't happy with the manner of the win and the keep ball at the end.
The Hibs players themselves will be analysing their performance so why can't we?

I hate comparing us to our neighbours but I doubt very much they would have taken their foot off the gas. They always appear hungry to embarrass teams when they arrive at Tynecastle.

keep the faith
14-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I wasn't trying to convince anyone. I was stating an opinion.

What does that get classified under?

It gets classified under "pointless"

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 09:22 AM
It gets classified under "pointless"

How come? We're only meant to look at the good stuff players do and not recognise where thy could improve?

Strange culture being created if true.

SMAXXA
14-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Great input.

Don't know if it'd be that much different? Did he create either goal?

What a load of pish, I'd like to be enlightened to what his lots of flaws are.

SMAXXA
14-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Though Cummings was rank, he looks like someone who thinks he's made it big time and to quote someone from the game yesterday "he thinks he's arrived"

snooky
14-12-2014, 09:51 AM
I thought Allan was uncharacteristically poor today. His passing was terrible, a few duff corners (albeit more decent than bad) and gave the ball away. Hev was good at going past men at some points. I think he suffers from being played way too deep.

Again our starting full backs were outstanding. I'm surprised nobody has commented on Stevenson's first touch this season. It is almost like Murphy's.

Yep I noticed that too.
In fact, one or two of the players did 'Murphys' yesterday.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 09:57 AM
What a load of pish, I'd like to be enlightened to what his lots of flaws are.

He gives away possession too easily. Often because he tries something that's difficult but other times because of lack of concentration. He doesn't effect games often enough - if he's the star I'm reading about he'd pull us out the mire when we're 0-0 with Qots or struggling at 0-0 v Falkirk. When were playing a rubbish team like alloa he'd be creating chance after chance.

Good player, always has time on the ball. Doesn't do enough with it.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Though Cummings was rank, he looks like someone who thinks he's made it big time and to quote someone from the game yesterday "he thinks he's arrived"

Agree with you on this. I had hoped him being subbed at ht last week might act as a kick up the arse.

Iain G
14-12-2014, 10:23 AM
It is though.

I started this thread and made clear I was happy with a 2-0 win.

I wasn't happy with the manner of the win and the keep ball at the end.
The Hibs players themselves will be analysing their performance so why can't we?

I hate comparing us to our neighbours but I doubt very much they would have taken their foot off the gas. They always appear hungry to embarrass teams when they arrive at Tynecastle.

Then why go on and compare us to them then? :confused:

We kept the ball well at the end and its a habit we should get into to close out a game regardless of the opposition, setting up good habits in the players now and teaching them how to win games and keep a lead and not give the opposition, regardless of who they are, a sniff to pull one back is just good tactics.

And as it was my first game in 11 months, it was better than I expected, yes we maybe struggled a wee bit at times to break through the 9 man defence but we got there. When we got the first goal the confidence level went up a few notches and we played some nice passing stuff at times.

Stevenson and Gray both put in great shifts at fullback and keen to get forward all the time, though Fontaine and Hanlon looked pretty comofortable, Robertson put in a good shift and Craig, Handling and Allan were good in stages, liked Malonga when he started to drop deep, made some space, and Cummings is getting into good positions and just needs to keep some composure for his finishing.

I think there were plenty positives out of the game :agree:

gaz1875
14-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Couldn't agree more, gave the ball away almost continually, way to casual today. Can't understand all the high marks :confused:

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 11:53 AM

We kept the ball well at the end and its a habit we should get into to close out a game regardless of the opposition, setting up good habits in the players now and teaching them how to win games and keep a lead and not give the opposition, regardless of who they are, a sniff to pull one back is just good tactics.

And as it was my first game in 11 months, it was better than I expected, yes we maybe struggled a wee bit at times to break through the 9 man defence but we got there. When we got the first goal the confidence level went up a few notches and we played some nice passing stuff at times.

Stevenson and Gray both put in great shifts at fullback and keen to get forward all the time, though Fontaine and Hanlon looked pretty comofortable, Robertson put in a good shift and Craig, Handling and Allan were good in stages, liked Malonga when he started to drop deep, made some space, and Cummings is getting into good positions and just needs to keep some composure for his finishing.

Your last paragraph is spot on. It is actually pretty comparable to my opening post.

I disagree with the 'keep ball' at the end.

I think there is a distinct difference between keeping the ball and securing a result against the 'Alloas' of this world and keeping the ball for a vital league win against Celtic for example.

Teams protect leads when games have been challenging and are in danger of losing them. Apart from a corner Alloa didn't look like scoring so why were we not trying to put them to the sword?

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Sorry I never answered your first question.

I'm comparing them because they have a team of hungry players eager to get back to where they belong. At 1-1 last week they found another gear and hammered their opponents. At home they wanted to stamp their authority and show that they are on their way back. Yesterday, we played a bit like we weren't sure what division we wanted to be in.

gaz1875
14-12-2014, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=NorthNorfolkHFC;4248671]Your last paragraph is spot on. It is actually pretty comparable to my opening post.

I think there is a distinct difference between keeping the ball and securing a result against the 'Alloas' of this world and keeping the ball for a vital league win against Celtic for example.

Teams protect leads when games have been challenging and are in danger of losing them. Apart from a corner Alloa didn't look like scoring so why were we not trying to put them to the sword?

They (Alloa) scored 3 in 20 minutes against the Rangers, anything is possible against us!!

Thecat23
14-12-2014, 12:03 PM
I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on how we played. Reading these comments I don't think Allen has many flaws at all. He's composed on the ball can pick a pass and works hard. If he did give it away early doors big deal? Some of the best midfielders in the world give the ball away many times during a game. He's miles above the rest in the team IMO.

Handling delighted he scored but not surprised to read he didn't do anything else all game. Cummings needs a reality check, he's no where near as good as he thinks and should be scoring a lot more. He panics when he has a chance and needs to be more composed on the ball.

For a team lacking in home wins I'm just delighted to get through the game with a clean sheet and a win. Maybe it wasn't great but with each home win gives more confidence and hopefully we can build on this.

Well done Stubbs, let's get more home wins under our belt!

Iain G
14-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Your last paragraph is spot on. It is actually pretty comparable to my opening post.

We have never been particularly good at keeping the ball.and seeing out games, regardless of it being Alloa, i think it is a vital skill to develop in our players

bingo70
14-12-2014, 12:08 PM
I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on how we played. Reading these comments I don't think Allen has many flaws at all. He's composed on the ball can pick a pass and works hard. If he did give it away early doors big deal? Some of the best midfielders in the world give the ball away many times during a game. He's miles above the rest in the team IMO.

Handling delighted he scored but not surprised to read he didn't do anything else all game. Cummings needs a reality check, he's no where near as good as he thinks and should be scoring a lot more. He panics when he has a chance and needs to be more composed on the ball.

For a team lacking in home wins I'm just delighted to get through the game with a clean sheet and a win. Maybe it wasn't great but with each home win gives more confidence and hopefully we can build on this.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Cummings attitude, he's just trying too hard and snatching at chances imo.

I'd suggest dropping him for a bit but I don't think there's anybody better that could step in.

Thecat23
14-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with Cummings attitude, he's just trying too hard and snatching at chances imo.

I'd suggest dropping him for a bit but I don't think there's anybody better that could step in.

What about the young lad Allen? Surely could give him a chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
14-12-2014, 12:11 PM
What about the young lad Allen? Surely could give him a chance?

He's a decent prospect but I've seen him twice for the 20s lately and he's not ready for the 1st team yet imo.

Thecat23
14-12-2014, 12:13 PM
He's a decent prospect but I've seen him twice for the 20s lately and he's bot ready for the 1st team yet imo.

I've not seen the u20's only read about him so you will have a better idea than me. Maybe that's why Stubbs hasn't gave him a shot yet! Just reading the stuff sounds a good prospect.

number9dream
14-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Teenagers are going to blow hot & cold. Is it worth pushing Handling up and playing Stanton or McGeouch (when fit) in the most advanced midfield position?

bingo70
14-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Teenagers are going to blow hot & cold. Is it worth pushing Handling up and playing Stanton or McGeouch (when fit) in the most advanced midfield position?

I'm no fan of handling but I think that's the only credible alternative to Cummings just now.

When he's played up front though he's not looked particularly dangerous so I'd probably just stick with Cummings for now, one of his chances will go in eventually.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Cat - if you haven't seen the game probably best to not comment. It wasn't just early doors he gave the ball away. I'm not sure if he's trying to do something he's not capable of or if it just didn't come off. Either way he lost posession on numerous occasions during the match.

Fortunately Alloa were really bad so couldn't make anything of it.

Thecat23
14-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Cat - if you haven't seen the game probably best to not comment. It wasn't just early doors he gave the ball away. I'm not sure if he's trying to do something he's not capable of or if it just didn't come off. Either way he lost posession in numerous occasions suing the match.

Ok take yesterday's game out, he's been head and shoulders above anyone else this season. Started slowly first 3 games I thought but then kicked on from there!

He's more than capable of pinging a ball across the pitch and also tracks back. What are his "many flaws" he's a future Scotland player IMO and won't be here after the summer!

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Ok take yesterday's game out, he's been head and shoulders above anyone else this season. Started slowly first 3 games I thought but then kicked on from there!

He's more than capable of pinging a ball across the pitch and also tracks back. What are his "many flaws" he's a future Scotland player IMO and won't be here after the summer!

I posted them earlier in the thread.

theonlywayisup
14-12-2014, 01:15 PM

Generally though folk make their mind up early doors and then can't/won't change their mind.

:hmmm:

Bronson
14-12-2014, 01:19 PM
I posted them earlier in the thread.

Christ almighty. We've got the best player in the league and all you can think about is his flaws. If he was flawless he'd be nowhere near a hibs shirt, a wee reality check is needed I think:rolleyes:

Billy Whizz
14-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Christ almighty. We've got the best player in the league and all you can think about is his flaws. If he was flawless he'd be nowhere near a hibs shirt, a wee reality check is needed I think:rolleyes:

He's not even in the top 3 best players at Hibs, never mind the best in the league. Good player, but I need to see much more from him in games

B.H.F.C
14-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Cat - if you haven't seen the game probably best to not comment. It wasn't just early doors he gave the ball away. I'm not sure if he's trying to do something he's not capable of or if it just didn't come off. Either way he lost posession on numerous occasions during the match.

If Scott Allan didn't have flaws we wouldn't have managed to sign him in the first place.

Agree he gave the ball away a fair few times yesterday. Generally it's because he's trying to do something productive with it. He'll try passes others wouldn't and that's fine for me. We have struggled to break teams down on numerous occasions and the more players we have like him the less that is going to happen.

One thing I would say is that he needs to start chipping in with goals. For a player with his ability he should be getting a decent number. Still think we've to see the best of him and I think that'll happen when McGeough comes back. He's the only other midfielder that's on the same page as him.

mmmmhibby
14-12-2014, 01:39 PM
He's not even in the top 3 best players at Hibs, never mind the best in the league. Good player, but I need to see much more from him in games

That's a wind-up surely? lol

Iggy Pope
14-12-2014, 01:43 PM
I think the OP has nailed why Player Ratings are a waste of time.
6/10 gets you 'slow and ponderous' 6/10 gets you 'great runs into attacking positions'.

Heisenberg
14-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Who is better?

Pretty Boy
14-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Not in the best 3 players at Hibs? Really?

Iggy Pope
14-12-2014, 01:46 PM

There are three better players than Scott Allan at Hibs? This is on ratings, right?

Billy Whizz
14-12-2014, 01:55 PM
There are three better players than Scott Allan at Hibs? This is on ratings, right?

Hanlon Gray and Malonga

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2014, 01:56 PM

Players like Allan who try and create things will always get it wrong from time to time, give me that every time over a safety first player who tries to keep the team in possession but is frightened be seen to lose the ball.

Obviously we couldnt have a team full of those types like Allan, but we have lacked creativity for so long and it appears he's the only one likely at the moment to do so?

Thecat23
14-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Players like Allan who try and create things will always get it wrong from time to time, give me that every time over a safety first player who tries to keep the team in possession but is frightened be seen to lose the ball.

Obviously we couldnt have a team full of those types like Allan, but we have lacked creativity for so long and it appears he's the only one likely at the moment to do so?

My thoughts exactly.

Pretty Boy
14-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Spot on.

A few times he 'gave the ball away' yesterday but it was because he was trying a pass out of the ordinary. Once or twice he was inches away from slipping players through on goal and it was last ditch defending that saw him 'give the ball away'. I'm sure at those times a simple 5 yard pass was on and he could have kept the ball but if that happened in football all the time every game would end 0-0.

3pm
14-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Scott Allan is light years ahead of anyone in that side.

For me, McGeouch is next.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2014, 02:05 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Spot on.

A few times he 'gave the ball away' yesterday but it was because he was trying a pass out of the ordinary. Once or twice he was inches away from slipping players through on goal and it was last ditch defending that saw him 'give the ball away'. I'm sure at those times a simple 5 yard pass was on and he could have kept the ball but if that happened in football all the time every game would end 0-0.

FFS i have said something that folk here agree with, maybe the first time since WW2? :greengrin

Iggy Pope
14-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Hanlon Gray and Malonga

I like all three, but in what way can any of them be considered as better players? Effort? Goals? Caps? Transfer Fees? I doubt any of the three you mentioned would suggest themselves that they are better footballers than Scott Allan, certainly not in terms of ability.

Smartie
14-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Allan is far and away our most talented player and is currently our most important.

Mcgeoch, Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon and Malonga are also very good players though and are key to the way we play. The contribution of these players help Allan have the effect on games that he does and if we are without too many of them then we struggle.

We're far from a one man team but he makes us click at present. He'd be lost if he was surrounded by the dross we had last year (and he did struggle a bit at Falkirk).

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Spot on.

A few times it was because he was trying something out of the ordinary but a few times it was because he was lackadaisical.

I hope he's not been reading the good press he gets in here and let it go to his head.

J-C
14-12-2014, 02:34 PM
A few times it was because he was trying something out of the ordinary but a few times it was because he was lackadaisical.

I hope he's not been reading the good press he gets in here and let it go to his head.

You come over as a very twisted person regards Allan, is there a jealousy there :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Disappointed to read a lot of negativity on here about how he wouldn't be at Hibs if he didn't have flaws. It's negativity like that's clouding over our club and .net.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 02:36 PM
you come over as a very twisted person regards allan, is there a jealousy there :confused:

ffs

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=NorthNorfolkHFC;4248671]Your last paragraph is spot on. It is actually pretty comparable to my opening post.

They (Alloa) scored 3 in 20 minutes against the Rangers, anything is possible against us!!

I wasn't meaning Alloa specifically. I only used them as an example as I would class them as a smaller team compared to us.

J-C
14-12-2014, 02:41 PM
ffs

No ffs about it, you have banged on all thread about his little flaws, his missed passes etc etc you are very much in the minority as loads have had a go telling you otherwise, you were also extremely negative about Thomson last season IIRC :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 02:44 PM
No ffs about it, you have banged on all thread about his little flaws, his missed passes etc etc you are very much in the minority as loads have had a go telling you otherwise, you were also extremely negative about Thomson last season IIRC :confused:

Definitely a FFS about it. I've no reason to be jealous of him - I'm nearly old enough to be his dad. It was a ridiculous comment, hence the FFS.

As for your latest post I'm allowed an opinion and allowed to be in a minority. A few agree with me, a few don't and a few just make stupid comments - that's the way it is.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 02:49 PM
I think the OP has nailed why Player Ratings are a waste of time.
6/10 gets you 'slow and ponderous' 6/10 gets you 'great runs into attacking positions'.

Taken out of context.

Jason tried very hard and got himself and got into great positions but never scored hence the lower score.

steviehibsleith
14-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Hanlon Gray and Malonga
Absolute tosh, the transfer window opens shortly Allen is top of the list to get picked up which tells you who is the best performing.

portycabbage
14-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Scott Allan is light years ahead of anyone in that side.

For me, McGeouch is next.

Can't comment on yesterday as I wasn't there, but I think Allan's been excellent - however Mcgeouch was my MOTM most games before his injury.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Can't comment on yesterday as I wasn't there, but I think Allan's been excellent - however Mcgeouch was my MOTM most games before his injury.

Yeah McGeough consistently looked the part before his injury.

Future17
14-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Absolute tosh, the transfer window opens shortly Allen is top of the list to get picked up which tells you who is the best performing.

Whose list? :confused:

snooky
14-12-2014, 03:52 PM

No' me pal - I've never touched a drop. :drunk:

Davy Mac
14-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Grim stuff indeed and although 3 points are always welcome but the performance was far from acceptable

Oxley - 6 Nowt much to do really.

Gray - 6 Steady but sometimes I think he's wasted out at the bye line if the players don't use this outlet

Hanlon - 6 Fine and good to see him get forward

Fontaine - 7 Solid and very comfortable on the ball. Looks a good addition as each week passes, nearly MOTM for me.

Stevenson - 6 Reliable and solid as ever

Robertson - 6 Effective and did the simple things well.

Craig - 4 Poor stuff yet again, lacks leadership qualities for me and not direct enough

Allan - 7 Toyed with the opposition, never out of 1st gear, great array of passes and knows he's above this dire league that we are in.

Handling - 5 Can't make my mind up about him, looks the part right enough but to be fair he was first to react for his goal.

Malonga - 3 Get's on my goat big time, attitude and body language is poor, so lucky with his goal and goals will dry up for him IMO

Cummings - 5 Appears to me he is not fit enough, lacking confidence at the moment and doesn't frighten opposition defenders.

Booth - 3 Valuable time and would like to see him play more often

Kennedy - 2 Not much time and hopefully he can get a wee run in the team.

Fans 6 - Still deserve so much more than this, very little to get excited about

steviehibsleith
14-12-2014, 03:58 PM
How about i start with our own manager AS after the Dumbarton 3-6 game was quoted "Scott Allan is the best player in the Championship"

Bronson
14-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Have a word. He's top 3 best hibs players of the last 3-4 years. Only Griffiths and Claros really could be put in the same bracket as him.

Best midfielder I've seen at hibs since a certain Scott Brown, and bear in mind he's only just turned 23, he's still young and learning. If you're not wholly satisfied with Scott Allan at this level you need your head checked. There really is no pleasing some people:rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
14-12-2014, 04:22 PM

Please tell me this isn't a serious comment.

Scott Allan's one of the best players we've had in the last four or five years.

He's a joy to watch.

Future17
14-12-2014, 04:22 PM
How about i start with our own manager AS after the Dumbarton 3-6 game was quoted "Scott Allan is the best player in the Championship"

That's one...:greengrin

steviehibsleith
14-12-2014, 04:25 PM
That's one...:greengrin

The one that counts[emoji12]

Billy Whizz
14-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Have a word. He's top 3 best hibs players of the last 3-4 years. Only Griffiths and Claros really could be put in the same bracket as him.

Best midfielder I've seen at hibs since a certain Scott Brown, and bear in mind he's only just turned 23, he's still young and learning. If you're not wholly satisfied with Scott Allan at this level you need your head checked. There really is no pleasing some people:rolleyes:

Thought this was a messgeboard for Hibs fans to post their opinions

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Thought this was a messgeboard for Hibs fans to post their opinions

Only if you're in the majority. :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 04:49 PM

You don't think he can get better and improve on weaknesses?

Easily pleased.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 05:22 PM
I've not enjoyed watching many players more than Scott Allen over the past few months.

Easily our best midfield player in a number of years. Jorge Claros did not entertain at all. Talented lad but had zero pace and his career trajectory shows his quality. Before Allen Griffiths was the only player I enjoyed watching as he scored goals and had a relationship with the fans.

Iggy Pope
14-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Taken out of context.

Jason tried very hard and got himself and got into great positions but never scored hence the lower score.

Don't be daft. How can you have different forms of context when you are rigidly applying marks out of 10 across the board? There is only one context. You also gave 7 and 6 respectively to 'Nothing to report' and 'Nothing to do'. You've given pass marks to 4 players who, in your opinion, offered a performance that ranged from slow to nothing. Beyond arbitrary.

davieh
14-12-2014, 06:08 PM
This thread would be improved by more 'player ratings' and less arguing the toss....(imho, of course)

R'Albin
14-12-2014, 06:48 PM
I've not enjoyed watching many players more than Scott Allen over the past few months.

Easily our best midfield player in a number of years. Jorge Claros did not entertain at all. Talented lad but had zero pace and his career trajectory shows his quality. Before Allen Griffiths was the only player I enjoyed watching as he scored goals and had a relationship with the fans.

The thought of Allan and Claros playing in the same midfield is unbelievable. They would compliment each other perfectly.

Bronson
14-12-2014, 07:02 PM
You don't think he can get better and improve on weaknesses?

Easily pleased.

I said he had just turned 23 and was still learning, of course he can still improve. But seriously, look at the league we are in, we're playing part-time opposition every third week, to have a player like Scott Allan at this level is better than we could have possibly hoped for, yet you're still not satisfied. If he was the finished article he'd be nowhere near hibs, the scottish championship, or even scottish football for that matter.

Seriously, what kind of standard do you expect to attract in this division?

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Don't be daft. How can you have different forms of context when you are rigidly applying marks out of 10 across the board? There is only one context. You also gave 7 and 6 respectively to 'Nothing to report' and 'Nothing to do'. You've given pass marks to 4 players who, in your opinion, offered a performance that ranged from slow to nothing. Beyond arbitrary.

I feel like I'm at school again.

Away and give somebody else a lecture on player ratings, I quite enjoyed posting my ratings until you came along and offered you critique.

J-C
14-12-2014, 07:08 PM
This thread would be improved by more 'player ratings' and less arguing the toss....(imho, of course)

Fair enough

Oxley 6.5 not much to do

Gray 7 usual steady solid self
Hanlon 6.5 steady untroubled
Fontaine 7 looked solid and calm
Stevenson 7 see Gray

Roberton 6.5 worked hard and mopped up most things in the middle
Craig 5 slow in his response to most things, his brain just isn't quick enough for the passing style we play.
Allan 7.5 strolled the game, misplaced a coiple of passes but only player looking to make things happen
Handling 6.5 decent, tries the fancy flick or fancy 1-2 all too often, needs to do the basics better

Malongo 5 looks lazy but chased and harried the back 4 most of the game, lucky with his goal but we'll take it.
Cummings 4 thought he was very poor, tries to take on too many defenders and rarely sees his colleagues in a better position, still raw but should be on the bench and not leading the line.

Booth and Kennedy did ok when they came on.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 07:45 PM
I feel like I'm at school again.

Away and give somebody else a lecture on player ratings, I quite enjoyed posting my ratings until you came along and offered you critique.

You get a 6/10 from me for your ratings

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 07:48 PM
I said he had just turned 23 and was still learning, of course he can still improve. But seriously, look at the league we are in, we're playing part-time opposition every third week, to have a player like Scott Allan at this level is better than we could have possibly hoped for, yet you're still not satisfied. If he was the finished article he'd be nowhere near hibs, the scottish championship, or even scottish football for that matter.

Seriously, what kind of standard do you expect to attract in this division?

Tbh I didn't realise he was 23 (I thought he was younger). That's not really that young in football terms is it? He should be close to being the finished article at that age shouldn't he?

Bronson
14-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Tbh I didn't realise he was 23 (I thought he was younger). That's not really that young in football terms is it? He should be close to being the finished article at that age shouldn't he?

He turned 23, this week, that is still very young. Players don't peak till they're about 26-28, so he still has a good 3-5 years of improving before he peaks. Very harsh to expect any player to be the finished article at 23, he has more playing years ahead of him than he has under his belt.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 08:19 PM
He turned 23, this week, that is still very young. Players don't peak till they're about 26-28, so he still has a good 3-5 years of improving before he peaks. Very harsh to expect any player to be the finished article at 23, he has more playing years ahead of him than he has under his belt.

I think by the age of 23 you should be quite far down the track - it's not young.

Although I suppose he's not played a lot of first team games in his career so maybe not progressed as quickly as expected.

Bronson
14-12-2014, 08:28 PM
I think by the age of 23 you should be quite far down the track - it's not young.

Although I suppose he's not played a lot of first team games in his career so maybe not progressed as quickly as expected.

23 is definitely young and in my humble opinion he's progressed plenty for his age because he's a cracking wee player and a joy to watch, players like him are few and far between in scottish football, especially at ER in recent years.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 08:32 PM
23 is definitely young and in my humble opinion he's progressed plenty for his age because he's a cracking wee player and a joy to watch, players like him are few and far between in scottish football, especially at ER in recent years.

Sorry mate but it's not young in football terms. I didn't realise he was 23 and just googled no of appearances - he's only played a few more 1st team games than Danny Handling who's 3 years younger.

He's inexperienced and based on that he's doing well. As I've kind of said though it's a bit early to be proclaiming him the saviour.

Bronson
14-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Sorry mate but it's not young in football terms. I didn't realise he was 23 and just googled no of appearances - he's only played a few more 1st team games than Danny Handling who's 3 years younger.

He's inexperienced and based on that he's doing well. As I've kind of said though it's a bit early to be proclaiming him the saviour.

I'm confused as to why you you don't think 23 is young for a footballer but it's besides the point really.

In all honesty, I wouldn't proclaim him 'the saviour' as such, but he's not a kick in the arse off it. I'm not sure if you've been to many hibs games recently cause genuinely the guy has been immense all season, a class above everyone else in the league. McGeouch isn't far off him, but Allan is the superior player of the two for me.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm confused as to why you you don't think 23 is young for a footballer but it's besides the point really.

In all honesty, I wouldn't proclaim him 'the saviour' as such, but he's not a kick in the arse off it. I'm not sure if you've been to many hibs games recently cause genuinely the guy has been immense all season, a class above everyone else in the league. McGeouch isn't far off him, but Allan is the superior player of the two for me.

Every home game barring the Dundee United game.

I can't break it down anymore why I think 23s not young for a footballer tbh - generally if you're not a first team player at 19/20 you'll not go on and make it.

Bronson
14-12-2014, 09:42 PM

I can't break it down anymore why I think 23s not young for a footballer tbh - generally if you're not a first team player at 19/20 you'll not go on and make it.

What are you not seeing in that case that everyone else is?

Ian Wright never signed his first pro contract till he was 22! Nevertheless, let's say for argument's sake that you're correct in that if you're 19/20 and not in the first team you won't make it. What relevance does that bear on 23 being young or not? At 23 you have about 3 years experience under your belt and 10-15 years (depending on fitness) ahead of you. He's still at early stages of his career, he is young.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 09:49 PM
What are you not seeing in that case that everyone else is?

Ian Wright never signed his first pro contract till he was 22! Nevertheless, let's say for argument's sake that you're correct in that if you're 19/20 and not in the first team you won't make it. What relevance does that bear on 23 being young or not? At 23 you have about 3 years experience under your belt and 10-15 years (depending on fitness) ahead of you. He's still at early stages of his career, he is young.

It's not everyone that disagrees with me.

We're clearly not going to agree on the age thing - you've pulled one example out to fit your theory and there's likely to be a handful of others as well but the majority will be first team players earlier than you say.

Bronson
14-12-2014, 09:58 PM
It's not everyone that disagrees with me.

We're clearly not going to agree on the age thing - you've pulled one example out to fit your theory and there's likely to be a handful of others as well but the majority will be first team players earlier than you say.

I'd say an overwhelming majority would disagree with you.

There are plenty others, Drogba was 21 when he signed his first pro contract. However, the main point of my last post was the difference in years of experience he has under his belt in contrast with the years of playing he has ahead of him.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2014, 10:00 PM
I'd say an overwhelming majority would disagree with you.

There are plenty others, Drogba was 21 when he signed his first pro contract. However, the main point of my last post was the difference in years of experience he has under his belt in contrast with the years of playing he has ahead of him.

On here it's definitely a majority that disagree - there are a few with a bit more knowledge about the game though :wink: and they agree with me.

Hopefully when he gets some experience under his belt he'll improve though.

macd123
14-12-2014, 11:23 PM
The thought of Allan and Claros playing in the same midfield is unbelievable. They would compliment each other perfectly.

Throw in mcgeouch and kennedy on the wings with griffiths and farid up front and i reckon we could just win the play offs :flag:

patlowe
15-12-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm pretty stunned that anyone could have watched Allan this season and not concluded that he is an extremely talented player, and of a class that we are just not used to seeing at Hibs. You never know, he might not make it for whatever reason, but it's pretty clear that the potential is there for him to play at a much higher level.

In terms of his age, he clearly had some problems settling down in England as he matured into an adult, so it's not quite comparable to your average youngster coming through the ranks and not making it by 23. Having said that, those problems may be an indicator of why he might not get to where his talent would suggest he could. That remains to be seen.

As it is, I've been to about 7 games this season and he's been an absolute joy to watch in just about all of them.

WeeRussell
15-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Ridiculous.

Age/first-team experience depends largely on what team you are at from a young age. Scott Allan is a good example actually; aside from the Houston fallout factor, Scott was undoubtedly ready for the Dundee Utd first team. He moved away fairly quickly and turned out not to be a first team player at 19/20. Would you say he'll not go on and make it now, if he hasn't in your eyes already?

Steven Naismith I would say has gone on and made it. If he had been an Everton youngster I doubt he'd have been starting for them at 19/20 years old.

Hamish
15-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Oxley 6

Gray 7
Hanlon 7
Fontaine 7
Stevenson 7

Robertson 7
Craig 6
Allan 7
Handling 7

Cummings 6
Malonga 7

Keeper only touched the ball a handful of times, can't put my finger on it but still not convinced by him.

Defence weren't under any pressure bar a free kick and corner near the end.

Midfield - Robertson should have scored, Craig was so-so, Handling, whilst surprised he got sponsors MOM, looked good in flashes including a great ball to set up Gray at the byeline, Allan looks composed but in my opinion has to play further up the park. Lots of times he came deep, when we have enough cover in Robertson and Craig who should be doing that.

Jason could have played till 6pm and not scored, but to his credit never hid, just one of those days for him

Dominique wasn't at his best, but still scored. If we could have a fit Farid and him together it would be interesting.

The booing at 89 minutes was a joke and led to me shouting them down, which is unusual these days for me at a game. 2 up with a minute to go, 99% of teams will do what we were doing, irrespective of the opposition.

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Ridiculous.

Age/first-team experience depends largely on what team you are at from a young age. Scott Allan is a good example actually; aside from the Houston fallout factor, Scott was undoubtedly ready for the Dundee Utd first team. He moved away fairly quickly and turned out not to be a first team player at 19/20. Would you say he'll not go on and make it now, if he hasn't in your eyes already?

Steven Naismith I would say has gone on and made it. If he had been an Everton youngster I doubt he'd have been starting for them at 19/20 years old.

It's not ridiculous. How many players can you name that haven't been a first team player before the age of 20? Ian wrights already been used.

This isn't a dig in any way at Allan, it's moved on to what is young for a footballer. Allan's not young but he is inexperienced.

Bronson
15-12-2014, 05:14 PM
It's not ridiculous. How many players can you name that haven't been a first team player before the age of 20? Ian wrights already been used.

This isn't a dig in any way at Allan, it's moved on to what is young for a footballer. Allan's not young but he is inexperienced.

Didier Drogba (21)
Dado Prso (25)
DJ Campbell (24)
Solskjaer (21)

It was only 3 years ago that Jamie Vardy was playing for Stockbridge in the 5th tier of English football at 24 years old. Now 27 playing in the prem for Leicester, having scored against Man Utd this season.

Seriously mate, you're slavering some pish.

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Didier Drogba (21)
Dado Prso (25)
DJ Campbell (24)
Solskjaer (21)

It was only 3 years ago that Jamie Vardy was playing for Stockbridge in the 5th tier of English football at 24 years old. Now 27 playing in the prem for Leicester, having scored against Man Utd this season.

Seriously mate, you're slavering some pish.

That's 5 or 6 now against the thousands of others that disprove it.

Smartie
15-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Oxley 6

Gray 7
Hanlon 7
Fontaine 7
Stevenson 7

Robertson 7
Craig 6
Allan 7
Handling 7

Cummings 6
Malonga 7

Keeper only touched the ball a handful of times, can't put my finger on it but still not convinced by him.

Defence weren't under any pressure bar a free kick and corner near the end.

Midfield - Robertson should have scored, Craig was so-so, Handling, whilst surprised he got sponsors MOM, looked good in flashes including a great ball to set up Gray at the byeline, Allan looks composed but in my opinion has to play further up the park. Lots of times he came deep, when we have enough cover in Robertson and Craig who should be doing that.

Jason could have played till 6pm and not scored, but to his credit never hid, just one of those days for him

Dominique wasn't at his best, but still scored. If we could have a fit Farid and him together it would be interesting.

The booing at 89 minutes was a joke and led to me shouting them down, which is unusual these days for me at a game. 2 up with a minute to go, 99% of teams will do what we were doing, irrespective of the opposition.

This is pretty much word for word how I saw the game, I agree with the scores for the defence and midfield and why you gave them.

I'd have maybe given the strikers a bit less as I thought they were a bit out of sorts. Good movement from them though to pull the Alloa defence around.

Pretty Boy
15-12-2014, 05:21 PM

The problem Allan and other young Scottish players at around the same time had, Fraser Fyvie springs to mind but I'm sure there are others, is that they made too big a move too soon. Allan was a standout for Dundee United at 18/19 but never ready for EPL football. He essentially lost 2 years of his career and stagnated somewhat, he's admitted that was partly his fault. He may be 23 but in experience terms he has played 8 SPL games, 13 Championship games (Scotland) and 33 lower league games in England. I don't think his lack of experience is down to lack of ability but more down to poor choices made when he was too young.

He's a player who is still searching for his level, Scottish Premiership at the moment imo, and will undoubtedly make up for lost time in the next few years.

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2014, 05:22 PM
The problem Allan and other young Scottish players at around the same time had, Fraser Fyvie springs to mind but I'm sure there are others, is that they made too big a move too soon. Allan was a standout for Dundee United at 18/19 but becer ready for EPL football. He essentially lost 2 years of his career and stagnated somewhat, he's admitted that was partly his fault. He may be 23 but in experience terms he has played 8 SPL games, 13 Championship games (Scotland) and 33 lower league games in England. I don't think his lack of experience is down to lack of ability but more down to poor choices made when he was too young.

I agree with that.

Smartie
15-12-2014, 05:33 PM
The problem Allan and other young Scottish players at around the same time had, Fraser Fyvie springs to mind but I'm sure there are others, is that they made too big a move too soon. Allan was a standout for Dundee United at 18/19 but never ready for EPL football. He essentially lost 2 years of his career and stagnated somewhat, he's admitted that was partly his fault. He may be 23 but in experience terms he has played 8 SPL games, 13 Championship games (Scotland) and 33 lower league games in England. I don't think his lack of experience is down to lack of ability but more down to poor choices made when he was too young.

He's a player who is still searching for his level, Scottish Premiership at the moment imo, and will undoubtedly make up for lost time in the next few years.

Good post and exactly how I see it.

I reckon we could see quite a lot of this over the next few years too as English clubs hoover up talented Scots youngsters for a relative pittance in the hope that they come good and help them with their financial fair play plans.

I can see the Scottish National team being the loser.

J-C
15-12-2014, 07:27 PM

Cracking post and spot on :agree:

JimBHibees
16-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Agree totally however no doubt an agent would have been whispering in his ear about 'short career' 'could get injured' etc.

He will have done well financially no doubt however playing wise agree he could have stayed where he was.

Phil MaGlass
16-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Was at the match and it was my first and probably last of the season, we dominated the game but there was no real last third, so many times Stevenson should have been given the ball and he was overlooked, Malonga was gash, and some players REALLY,REALLY should know how to play with both feet, if you are left footed and are given the opportunity to take a shot with your right, dont bloody cut back and lose the ball,or wait for another chance on your left. Lost count how many times that happened. I have not been to many games in the last year, but if this is us improving, I would have hated to see us at the end of last season..

Iain G
16-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Was at the match and it was my first and probably last of the season, we dominated the game but there was no real last third, so many times Stevenson should have been given the ball and he was overlooked, Malonga was gash, and some players REALLY,REALLY should know how to play with both feet, if you are left footed and are given the opportunity to take a shot with your right, dont bloody cut back and lose the ball,or wait for another chance on your left. Lost count how many times that happened. I have not been to many games in the last year, but if this is us improving, I would have hated to see us at the end of last season..

Was my first of the season and quite enjoyed it:-)

TrinityHibs
16-12-2014, 11:13 AM
That's 5 or 6 now against the thousands of others that disprove it.

When did Rickie Lambert break through?

Hamish
16-12-2014, 11:16 AM

I thought Malonga had a decent game, not spectacular by any means. You can see the lad should be playing at a higher level than the second tier of Scottish football, but delighted he is here.

Opinions eh?

snooky
16-12-2014, 06:24 PM

I'm sorry to continue the negativity but I found the game a total bore.

Also, I'm also at a loss as to why 95% of the gates are 'ticket only' when the stadium is 1/3 filled.
(They should be shanghai-ing people in Albion Road and dragging them into ER.)
When we did get our seats, via a very lonely 'pay at the gate' turnstile, they were at the extreme end of stand (as always).
Why not start at the middle of the stands and work out the way?
I sometimes get the feeling that HFC are trying their damnedest to put us off going.

Scouse Hibee
16-12-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry to continue the negativity but I found the game a total bore.

Also, I'm also at a loss as to why 95% of the gates are 'ticket only' when the stadium is 1/3 filled.
(They should be shanghai-ing people in Albion Road and dragging them into ER.)
When we did get our seats, via a very lonely 'pay at the gate' turnstile, they were at the extreme end of stand (as always).
Why not start at the middle of the stands and work out the way?
I sometimes get the feeling that HFC are trying their damnedest to put us off going.

The stands were empty you could have walked and sat in the middle once you were in mate.

snooky
16-12-2014, 09:55 PM
The stands were empty you could have walked and sat in the middle once you were in mate.

We did. In the past we've been given the worst placed seats only to see better seats left unused. Of course, we moved into them.
My point is, why not sell the best seats first and the worst seats last? It's not Ronnie Sullivan science.
Just another piece in the let's-piss-the-punter-off jigsaw.

theonlywayisup
27-12-2014, 04:53 PM
He gives away possession too easily. Often because he tries something that's difficult but other times because of lack of concentration. He doesn't effect games often enough - if he's the star I'm reading about he'd pull us out the mire when we're 0-0 with Qots or struggling at 0-0 v Falkirk. When were playing a rubbish team like alloa he'd be creating chance after chance.

Good player, always has time on the ball. Doesn't do enough with it.

Well DH, did he (Allan) do enough today?

Danderhall Hibs
27-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Well DH, did he (Allan) do enough today?

Yes, without doubt.

Looking for him to do it every week now, especially when we need to dig ourselves out of a hole, like Falkirk away or Qots at home.

theonlywayisup
27-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Yes, without doubt.

Looking for him to do it every week now, especially when we need to dig ourselves out of a hole, like Falkirk away or Qots at home.

:thumbsup: