PDA

View Full Version : John Baxter RIP 1936-2014

big-mo
11-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Very sad news, John Baxter passed away this morning aged 78.

John was born on the 15th October 1936, he initially played for Benburb who were based in Govan in Glasgow, in 1955 he signed for Hibs and played as a wing half, his powerful play resulted in him scoring a number of goals, 22 in his 208 appearances for Hibs.

He played in Hibs cup final team of 1958, the winning Clyde goal being deflected off John.

In April 1964 he caused mild controversy when he was sent off in a league game against Dundee United (a rare occasion in those days).

He was capped at U23 level for Scotland in a game against Wales in 1959. He left Easter Road in June 1966 when he moved to Falkirk where he played 15 games, in 1967 he moved on to Clydebank and played 26 games for them,scoring 3 goals, he retired from football in 1968.

brog
11-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Sad news indeed. A great character Chinny Baxter actually played over 300 games for Hibs in total including most famously both games against Barcelona in our 7-6 aggregate win.

hibbybrian
11-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Sorry indeed to hear the sad tidings.

Chinny was one of my earlier heroes in the green and white - he had some shot on him for a defender.

RIP John

The Harp
11-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Sorry indeed to hear the sad tidings.

Chinny was one of my earlier heroes in the green and white - he had some shot on him for a defender.

RIP John

So sorry to hear of John's passing. He was a regular in the side when I first got hooked on the Hibs.
Sad news indeed.
Condolences to John's family and friends.
RIP John

jdships
11-12-2014, 03:52 PM
!00% was what you got from John Baxter EVERY GAME
Hard as b....y nails - hard grafting " wing half " never flashy : simply what you saw was what you got
Handsome cleancut lad too :greengrin
Played 307 games for Hibs scoring 32 goals 1955 to 1966 after signing from Benburb
From memory he got one Scotland under 21 cap
Someone confirm ,please

RIP

hibbybrian
11-12-2014, 04:00 PM
!00% was what you got from John Baxter EVERY GAME
Hard as b....y nails - hard grafting " wing half " never flashy : simply what you saw was what you got
Handsome cleancut lad too :greengrin
Played 307 games for Hibs scoring 32 goals 1955 to 1966 after signing from Benburb
From memory he got one Scotland under 21 cap
Someone confirm ,please

RIP

John got a game for Scotland Under 23 on 10th December 1958 against Wales at Tynecastle

WindyMiller
11-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Baxter was a regular when I was first taken to ER. he seemed a mountain of a man to the 6-year-old Windy.

hibbybrian
11-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Baxter was a regular when I was first taken to ER. he seemed a mountain of a man to the 6-year-old Windy.

Now thats a defence :not worth

ancient hibee
11-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Always remember the game we discovered he could hit the ball.It was against Kilmarnock at ER-Bobby Johnstone's first game back-we had a free kick up the hill and Bobby had taken charge waving everyone into position.John was seen running(it seems from the half way line)straight past Bobby and walloped the ball into the roof of the net-Jimmy Brown never moved-lucky not to get in the way.
A really big-hearted player and a regular scapegoat for the Hibs boo boys.

Jonnyboy
11-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Now thats a defence :not worth

Fantastic picture Brian. JB was a fantastic player and I'm saddened to hear this news. RIP Chinny

Forza Fred
11-12-2014, 06:29 PM
How we could do with someone of Chin's commitment today.

A player who gave his all, and did not indulge in showboating in any form.

If you wanted a totally committed player, every game, regardless of opposition or particular competition involved, John was your man.

Mr Reliable fits the description.

My favourite memory was in a 2-1 victory over Rangers way back in the 60's when we did the treble over them

Sorry to hear of his passing, and condolences to family

Forza Fred
11-12-2014, 06:30 PM
And I should add, Peter Hart, long time member of the Australia branch, even named his Dug after him!

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-12-2014, 07:24 PM
The "chin" was one of my earliest memories of Hibs, a pretty good player from memory.

RIP John

Feed McGraw
11-12-2014, 07:35 PM
R.I.P. John. Thank you for great memories of your time with the Hibs. You were a stalwart in the first Hibs side I ever saw in the flesh.

jdships
11-12-2014, 08:50 PM
John got a game for Scotland Under 23 on 10th December 1958 against Wales at Tynecastle

Ta ! :thumbsup:

schinkenotto
11-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Remember him well in a half back line of Turnbull,Paterson and Baxter.RIP.

heretoday
11-12-2014, 10:23 PM
A regular in the team I first watched in 63/64. He scored a cracker against Third Lanark and another v Aberdeen. We used to think he was related to Jim Baxter! He wasn't the swiftest and he had a temper but he is a big part of some wonderful memories for me.

Jonnyboy
11-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Full Hibs details here http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6131

(It's multi page)

Thecat23
11-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Alway sad to read of passing of former players. The one thing I take out of it are the comments of the posters who have seen these guys play.

I love reading comments about Hibs players from a generation kind before I started watching them. I'm 36 and started going to ER around 9 or 10. So I didn't see guys like this but find myself getting lost in the history of the game back then. Some of the guys on here must have seen some very good Hibs teams over the years. Hopefully we return to days when we will talk about players we have for years to come.

R.I.P

heretoday
12-12-2014, 09:08 AM
He played in the Real Madrid match I'm sure. A rare distinction if so.

greenginger
12-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Looking back on Baxter's Hibs record and one game especially brought memories back.

18/5/1963. Raith 0 - 4 Hibs , kept us in the top division. One of my first away games , traveled over by train.

One of Baxter's goals was a 30 yarder that started on the deck and rose up into the top corner ( at least that's how I remember it )

We were all trying to copy it down the park the next day. Did'nt work with one of those plastic Frido balls. :greengrin

hibbybrian
12-12-2014, 09:27 AM
He played in the Real Madrid match I'm sure. A rare distinction if so.

John played in the Real Madrid match along with Big Bad John and King Paddy :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
12-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Nice tribute on the Official site. Am I wrong in thinking the Cup final referenced was the 1958 one v Clyde and not 1959 though of course I was not there. :greengrin

I think they should have a minute silence for a revered former player.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5007

Dan Sarf
12-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Always remember the game we discovered he could hit the ball.It was against Kilmarnock at ER-Bobby Johnstone's first game back-we had a free kick up the hill and Bobby had taken charge waving everyone into position.John was seen running(it seems from the half way line)straight past Bobby and walloped the ball into the roof of the net-Jimmy Brown never moved-lucky not to get in the way.
A really big-hearted player and a regular scapegoat for the Hibs boo boys.

Never forgotten it. There was a stunned silence. Followed by a massive roar! A wonderful goal.:flag:

brog
12-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Looking back on Baxter's Hibs record and one game especially brought memories back.

18/5/1963. Raith 0 - 4 Hibs , kept us in the top division. One of my first away games , traveled over by train.

One of Baxter's goals was a 30 yarder that started on the deck and rose up into the top corner ( at least that's how I remember it )

We were all trying to copy it down the park the next day. Did'nt work with one of those plastic Frido balls. :greengrin

Remember it well GG, we were awful that season but scored 10 & conceded 1 in winning our last 3 games, the last 2 both 4-0 away from home, to keep us safe. John was never the most elegant of players, he had a very upright running style but no one could ever accuse him of shirking a tackle or hiding in a game. I used to meet up with him in the City club by the Playhouse but hadn't seen him for quite a while. I sometimes despair of Hibs Net but threads like these help restore my faith!

Alfred E Newman
12-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Another of my boyhood heroes passes away. Stanton, McNamee ,Baxter what a half back line. Remember Chinny scoring a blistering 30 harder up the slope against Aberdeen in one of my first solo trips to Easter Road. From that moment I was hooked for life. RIP

CapitalHibs
12-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Never forgotten it. There was a stunned silence. Followed by a massive roar! A wonderful goal.:flag:

IIRC he also scored an identical second going down the slope in the same game

Alfred E Newman
12-12-2014, 05:03 PM
IIRC he also scored an identical second going down the slope in the same game

Great days. How lucky we were .

CapitalHibs
12-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Remember a few weeks later against Dundee at ER we were awarded a penalty. Up stepped John for the first time....... and skied it into row z

Alfred E Newman
12-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Remember a few weeks later against Dundee at ER we were awarded a penalty. Up stepped John for the first time....... and skied it into row z

It's amazing how guys of our generation can remember details like this but can't remember where we put our glesses.

hibbybrian
13-12-2014, 06:16 AM
John also played in both legs and the play-off of the 1960-61 Fairs Cup Semi-final - an oft forgotten achievement of the Hibees to appear in semi-finals of two European football competitions by 1961 :flag::thumbsup::flag:

heretoday
13-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Remember it well GG, we were awful that season but scored 10 & conceded 1 in winning our last 3 games, the last 2 both 4-0 away from home, to keep us safe. John was never the most elegant of players, he had a very upright running style but no one could ever accuse him of shirking a tackle or hiding in a game. I used to meet up with him in the City club by the Playhouse but hadn't seen him for quite a while. I sometimes despair of Hibs Net but threads like these help restore my faith!

Hear hear. Maybe there should be a separate section for nostalgia threads? I get sick of the toxic stuff.

CapitalHibs
13-12-2014, 01:48 PM
It's amazing how guys of our generation can remember details like this but can't remember where we put our glesses.

Spot-on, Malcolm:greengrin

Virginia Hibs
13-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Did John work for Collins the Publishers in Bishopbriggs in the 80's?

That was my first job after leaving college and I remember being introduced to a guy on the factory floor who had played for Hibs. Seemed a bit shocked when a Hibee approached him considering the demographics of the company at that time! Gentleman though, and never failed to acknowledge me in passing whenever our paths crossed.

I arranged for the Hibs programme editor at the time to call him for a 'where are they now' spot in the programme. IIRC he was a bit reticent to do it but I managed to convince him! :)

Now I'm saying all this but I'm at that age where I'm only 20% sure it was John Baxter! Could have been another player altogether!