PDA

View Full Version : Living Wage

yogi_campfire
11-12-2014, 11:37 AM
With the news today that Luton Town have joined the clubs promising to pay the living wage, not the minimum wages, it really does beg the question why Hibs have yet to make a similar commitment.

LD spoke of becoming a part of the community and I want to believe that she in sincere and taking steps to integrate the club in a much more effective manner. In my opinion it is important for the club to take a stand on community matters that show what the clubs identity in a clear manner, one simple way would be to show that we value our workforce and want to pay an amount that allows for an adequate standard of living.

I don't how much more this would cost the club a year, but I believe this are the sort of incremental change that can redefine the clubs position in the community. Trying to work with the club in a positive manner to achieve something like this is a much better use of time, effort and resources than constant grumbling a over unrealistic takeover attempts that are sapping the away the energy towards progress. Especially with The Yams already making a similar commitment.

Lucius Apuleius
11-12-2014, 11:39 AM
How many people are employed by Hibs on less than the living wage?

J-C
11-12-2014, 11:43 AM
How do you know we're not already paying a living wage?

yogi_campfire
11-12-2014, 11:47 AM

There is a certification process for organisations that do through the Living Wage Foundation. And if we are paying the living wage and haven't signed that is a massive PR fail - look at the positive attention Herts received for being the "First Living Wage Accredited Football club in Scotland"

http://www.livingwage.org.uk

Golden Bear
11-12-2014, 12:02 PM
As a responsible Employer, we should pay what we are statutory obliged to pay and of course what we can afford.

More football, less politics please.

Beefster
11-12-2014, 12:02 PM
There is a certification process for organisations that do through the Living Wage Foundation. And if we are paying the living wage and haven't signed that is a massive PR fail - look at the positive attention Herts received for being the "First Living Wage Accredited Football club in Scotland"

I agree. There's also the fact that, if we are paying the living wage, making it public encourages/puts pressure on other clubs and employers to do the same.

I suspect that it's more likely that we don't pay the living wage to everyone though.

PeterboroHibee
11-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Although I completely agree with paying a Living wage, as has been pointed out, theres nothing to suggest either way what Hibs actually pay employees.

lapsedhibee
11-12-2014, 12:12 PM

:agree: Hearts are a brilliant example of how to behave when it comes to money.

bingo70
11-12-2014, 12:14 PM
I'd imagine all the lower paid jobs like catering, stewarding and cleaning (don't mean to offend anyone) are outsourced. I can't think of a person hibs would employ that this would affect?

Beefster
11-12-2014, 12:18 PM
I'd imagine all the lower paid jobs like catering, stewarding and cleaning (don't mean to offend anyone) are outsourced. I can't think of a person hibs would employ that this would affect?

To be accredited, I'm fairly sure you have to get your contractors to pay the living wage too.

bingo70
11-12-2014, 12:27 PM
To be accredited, I'm fairly sure you have to get your contractors to pay the living wage too.

Ah right, thanks.

Makes more sense now. Still can't really say I'm bothered, using the catering as an example it's mostly young folk and even if they're not earning much the experience will do them good. Pies are expensive enough without giving them an excuse to put the prices up even more.

Sir David Gray
11-12-2014, 12:35 PM

They don't need to be straight away but you need to have a commitment in place that when contracts come up for renewal, they will be negotiated at the living wage rate.

God Petrie
11-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Hertz making a big deal out of signing up for the Living Wage is a pathetic attempt to atone for years of morally bankrupt behaviour. The effect in real terms is pennies.

Pretty Boy
11-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Ah right, thanks.

Makes more sense now. Still can't really say I'm bothered, using the catering as an example it's mostly young folk and even if they're not earning much the experience will do them good. Pies are expensive enough without giving them an excuse to put the prices up even more.

I'm not sure if the living wage is like the minimum wage in that it is structured into age ranges so a part time 16 year old earns less than someone working in, for example, catering as a full time job.

In principle I'm in favour of the living wage being implemented. Having just left the hospitality industry after a 5 year stint I've witnessed 1st hand the ridiculous hours some people have to work to make ends meet. A lot of these people were on zero hour contracts so they had to take 70+ hours at £6.32 an hour one week because the next week they might be stuck with less than 25 hours. It bordered on exploitation imo.

Pretty Boy
11-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Hertz making a big deal out of signing up for the Living Wage is a pathetic attempt to atone for years of morally bankrupt behaviour. The effect in real terms is pennies.

£1.35 an hour more isn't really pennies at the bottom end of the pay scale. £200+ a month extra (pre tax) based on a 40 hour week for someone currently earning minimum wage.

Jay
11-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Ah right, thanks.

My oldest son works at the catering at other grounds and gets £24 for a shift that's 4.5-5 hours long. The biggest thing is that he is till trained though, it's very difficult for youngsters to get a job without till experience these days. My 17 year old works in a shop stockroom knocking his pan in for four hours in the evening and get £14 odds a shift.

Geo_1875
11-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Budge has been making a noise about this for weeks and the EEN have been giving her plaudits and headlines. When she comes out with some numbers about net cost and staff numbers before and after implementation I'll listen to what she has to say. She has previous for reducing costs by reducing staff numbers.

lucky
11-12-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm amazed at some of the comments on here. Hibs should be paying all staff and contractors the Living wage. We are a family club based in our community but are failing to support the poorest paid workers. I find it embarrassing that Hearts are now paying the Living wage but Hibs who have always prided ourselves on being a community club are not. The arguments that Hearts bumped their creditors is irrelevant. Budge has now taken over and appears to have them going in the right direction on the pitch and off it and even in the community. Hibs should be paying the Living Wage.

Lucius Apuleius
11-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Hibs can of course demand their subcontractors pay this living wage. It would undoubtedly increase the prices we currently pay whether this is the amount we pay to security company or the price we pay for a pie. As an aside how much is a 1972 £36 worth in today's money?

brog
11-12-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm amazed at some of the comments on here. Hibs should be paying all staff and contractors the Living wage. We are a family club based in our community but are failing to support the poorest paid workers. I find it embarrassing that Hearts are now paying the Living wage but Hibs who have always prided ourselves on being a community club are not. The arguments that Hearts bumped their creditors is irrelevant. Budge has now taken over and appears to have them going in the right direction on the pitch and off it and even in the community. Hibs should be paying the Living Wage.

I very much agree in principle but like others I believe it would be mostly contract employees who would be affected. I appreciate the info provided in earlier posts but I'm unsure how one employer ( Hibs ) can force a contractor, who may be servicing dozens of customers, to pay a Living Wage to those working for us. Having said that we should at least try, I suspect the positive publicity for Yams far outweighs the actual cost to them.

God Petrie
11-12-2014, 02:42 PM
£1.35 an hour more isn't really pennies at the bottom end of the pay scale. £200+ a month extra (pre tax) based on a 40 hour week for someone currently earning minimum wage.

I meant the effect for the organisation ie Hearts is pennies considering the amounts they have swindled over the years.

EH54
11-12-2014, 02:48 PM

:thumbsup: absolutely agree

Weststandwanab
11-12-2014, 02:55 PM

I could not agree more.

I agree. There's also the fact that, if we are paying the living wage, making it public encourages/puts pressure on other clubs and employers to do the same.

I suspect that it's more likely that we don't pay the living wage to everyone though.

I suspect you are spot on.

:agree: Hearts are a brilliant example of how to behave when it comes to money.

I think you will find that it is Queen Budge rather than the Yams.

You do indeed.

Hibs can of course demand their subcontractors pay this living wage. It would undoubtedly increase the prices we currently pay whether this is the amount we pay to security company or the price we pay for a pie. As an aside how much is a 1972 £36 worth in today's money?

£443.36p.

H18Y GW
11-12-2014, 03:12 PM

I think the bit in the paper that says The Gunts are the first may we'll be true or it would be stated by now .😉

Lucius Apuleius
11-12-2014, 03:30 PM
£443.36p.

So less than the living wage now? That is how much I was on at 16. That was for a 56 hour week. The more I think about it I am getting pretty Damn enraged about it. Exploited so I was!!!!!!!!!

hibbymark
11-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Tin hat on here but I am not sure I agree that football clubs seem to be getting singled out and criticised regarding not paying the living wage. Based on turnover Hibs are a minnow compared to the companies in the uk who are not paying this. I'm guessing that most of us regularly shop in establishments or drink in places that don't pay this. My question is this, are we all prepared to pay more on our season tickets or more for our half time pies etc or reduce the managers player budget so that the guys the work in the Hibs shop can earn more than staff working in Jd sports etc ? The club is on its uppers at the moment and as far as I am aware businesses with our current financial performance aren't giving pay rises . If the living wage Is to become effectively the new legal minimum wage, businesses will have to adjust prices accordingly(someone has to pay) . As it happens I'm all for paying a living wage to everyone. Its beyond me that this government and previous have set a minimum wage at less than is deemed enough to live on but as I've said earlier provided we are all prepared to pay more for everything and not just take the moral high ground that because the club with no shame are playing the good guy PR card that we should

Geo_1875
11-12-2014, 04:37 PM

I doubt very much that Hibs can demand anything other than the contractors*fulfill*their contract. They can include such demands in any future ccontract negotiations. Hertz will have been able to do that as for some reason all their contracts were recently retendered. Yiu can bet your bottom dollar if circumstances were different they wouldn't be in a position to make this announcement. And you can also guarantee this hasn't cost hertz a bolt.

Ozyhibby
11-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Given how many times I've read people on here say certain players should be on zero hours contracts, others are wage theifs if the are out the team or injured and regularly call for people to be sacked, it's possible the club might think the fans a bit hypocritical to be now calling for the living wage in order to follow hearts.

Pete
11-12-2014, 04:54 PM
I couldn't care less what hearts pay their staff.

What I don't like is our own supporters looking at what hearts do then pointing the finger at our club for not immediately following their lead. We have absolutely no reason to feel guilty about anything as I'm sure we're complying with the law of the land when it comes to this issue.

If people are so bothered then why don't they start a campaign to get the minimum wage increased? I'm sure our neighbours across the road will happily spearhead the campaign seeing as they are now the peoples champions.

Lucius Apuleius
11-12-2014, 05:05 PM
I doubt very much that Hibs can demand anything other than the contractors*fulfill*their contract. They can include such demands in any future ccontract negotiations. Hertz will have been able to do that as for some reason all their contracts were recently retendered. Yiu can bet your bottom dollar if circumstances were different they wouldn't be in a position to make this announcement. And you can also guarantee this hasn't cost hertz a bolt.

That's what I was meaning. They put contracts out to tender and it is a clause in the contract. Otherwise a change order to the current contractor or approval to raise their prices to cover the cost.

andyf5
11-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Totally agree.

ancient hibee
11-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Rod works for nothing-bring in the living wage for RP.

I started in 1959 for £200 a year-wonder what that's worth now.

BSEJVT
11-12-2014, 05:32 PM

£1500 a year in 1979 was my first salary

cabbageandribs1875
11-12-2014, 05:33 PM

£4,086, approx = £80/week

cabbageandribs1875
11-12-2014, 05:35 PM
£1500 a year in 1979 was my first salary

£1500= £7500 now, £30 P/W back then

ancient hibee
11-12-2014, 05:37 PM
£4,086, approx = £80/week

So on that basis £200 wasn't all that wonderful:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
11-12-2014, 05:40 PM
So on that basis £200 wasn't all that wonderful:greengrin

price of a pint in 1959

9d for a pint of mild
11d for a pint of bitter

:cheers:

ancient hibee
11-12-2014, 05:43 PM
price of a pint in 1959

9d for a pint of mild
11d for a pint of bitter

:cheers:
I was far too young for these shennanagins -particularly if my mum was about.

GreenLake
11-12-2014, 05:43 PM
The only thing "Living" at the PBS are Pishy's Breeks.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Hertz making a big deal out of signing up for the Living Wage is a pathetic attempt to atone for years of morally bankrupt behaviour. The effect in real terms is pennies.It is working though, no one except us mentions their cheating

emerald green
11-12-2014, 05:54 PM

That's what I was meaning. They put contracts out to tender and it is a clause in the contract. Otherwise a change order to the current contractor or approval to raise their prices to cover the cost.

Sneaky, but no surprise coming from them, and they get some good PR and they can take the moral high ground too. Boak.