PDA

View Full Version : Works xmas nights out

Hermit Crab
10-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Who has them/goes to them? We've got one this weekend. Going to a tribute gig then a bevy after it. Is your office or work place having one? Is there always a drunken erse at yours, is the man/woman that nobody talks to going? Does the gaffer pay for everything?

I personally wouldn't be bothered if there wasn't one as you get roasters turning up, I don't mind if it's a decent crowd though.

Discuss. :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
10-12-2014, 09:28 PM
We are having one on Saturday which will mainly consist of people who don't normally drink getting smashed and me asking people who don't normally give me the time of day why I'm good enough to talk to because they have a drink in them

There will also be a girl who ends up crying, someone who can't handle bevy trying to go boxing, people telling the bosses they are great and me looking for an excuse to go somewhere else, anywhere but where I am,must the standard work night out but with party hats and more ****ers from other places kicking about:faf:

Bishop Hibee
10-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Our work's night out is to the Holy Ground on Friday! 22 of us at the party night in the Famous Five. It was recommended from someone who went last year. I'm surprised I haven't seen any emails about it from Hibs in my Inbox although I realise the whole thing is contracted out.

I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly over the years. Future head of a council department being told "I knew you when you were **** all!" by a minion, a boss so drunk he began abusing a member of staff after a Christmas lunch at around 2pm, fights, a chief inspector of police being thrown out a bar for putting his hand in a random jug of vodka cocktail and swirling it around, the list is endless :greengrin

Hermit Crab
10-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Keep em coming lads. Good reading this. Ours is just a group of mates who are all off at the same time but of course word gets around then you start getting the empty heads turning up :rolleyes:.

Mon Dieu4
10-12-2014, 09:59 PM
My worst Christmas night out moment (in my early twenties) was being given a dirty pint and being told it was Jack Daniels and coke and bet you can't drink it all in one go, well I managed it but then got thrown out of the thistle hotel for launching myself into the Christmas Tree "Elf" style then trying to do keepie uppies with the baubles, I genuinely can't remember anything about it

Not taking the blame for that one though, that was all on them!!:na na:

TRC
10-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Christmas as server bar/restaurant can be hell, people that go out once a year don't know how to behave and think cause they are in a pub restaurant they don't have to behave like humans. Some of the worst customer's I've ever had have been Christmas parties.

Hermit Crab
10-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Christmas as server bar/restaurant can be hell, people that go out once a year don't know how to behave and think cause they are in a pub restaurant they don't have to behave like humans. Some of the worst customer's I've ever had have been Christmas parties.

I can relate to that bud. I see them when they are going home with a belly full of liqueur.

Mixu62
10-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Seems to be a different attitude to them over here cos it's summer and everyone is a little more chilled out. That being said, I've been stuck next to the office bore a few times. I can remember some real beezers from back home tho, ending up at Sneaky Pete's in the small hours. Oh dear!

snooky
10-12-2014, 11:43 PM
About 12 years ago I was sozzled at a Christmas night out in the toon centre and accidentally did a variation of Del Boy leaning into an empty space on the bar.
No idea what bar I was in but I do remember I lost my mobile phone that night - somewhere.
Older and wiser now, thank goodness.

CallumLaidlaw
11-12-2014, 07:16 AM
My Christmas parties over the last 2/3 years have had all the cliches. Couple (with partners) heard in a toilet cubicle, people having to get carried off the dance floor for touching up colleagues while their partner was in the vicinity, people falling all over the place, being sick in the loos. Luckily, I get on with a lot of my colleagues so am looking forward to ours next Saturday.

Jack
11-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Being really old I can remember when your office crowd went out and lunch/dinner was quite a civilised affair. Mid 1970s, early 80s.

The office party, in the basement, canteen or some other space that could be opened up, were legendary. All the stuff about once a year drinkers.

Drink being delivered by trucks ... and a packet of crisps as the food.

A guy smashing a mirror because as he walked into the loo he thought it was someone giving him a dirty look. What a mess his hand was! A&E visit. I remember that because I didn't like him.

A girl who slipped and smashed her face open had a tampon shoved in her gob by a colleague with the comment, that will soak up the blood. A&E visit, didn't like her either.

Numerous folk found sleeping under desks when the cleaners came in in the morning.

With the boardroom being 'occupied' and the bosses room being 'occupied' a couple 'got down to it' in a cupboard in the staff room - much to the amusement of a crowd of folk who walked in as said cupboard was shuffling across the floor!

Talking of such things. The following September was interesting too ;-)

Clearing up the next day and finishing off the left over crisps; -) and almost doing it all again!

Trying hard to get invites to other office drunken debauchery parties was the Holy Grail November/December time.

As the parties became worse and worse they were banned on health and safety grounds ... and Black Friday was born.

Pretty Boy
11-12-2014, 07:37 AM
A night out with people I have nothing in common with other than the fact we share the same breathing space for 8 hours 5 days a week. Great.

We are going one of those 'bring a party to a party' things. Having worked in hospitality for years I know how people tend to behave at these things. People let off the leash once a year acting like utter cretins. I'll be staying until the meal is done then making my excuses and leaving.

Mr White
11-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Being really old I can remember when your office crowd went out and lunch/dinner was quite a civilised affair. Mid 1970s, early 80s.

The office party, in the basement, canteen or some other space that could be opened up, were legendary. All the stuff about once a year drinkers.

A guy smashing a mirror because as he walked into the loo he thought it was someone giving him a dirty look. What a mess his hand was! A&E visit. I remember that because I didn't like him.

A girl who slipped and smashed her face open had a tampon shoved in her gob by a colleague with the comment, that will soak up the blood. A&E visit, didn't like her either.

Numerous folk found sleeping under desks when the cleaners came in in the morning.

With the boardroom being 'occupied' and the bosses room being 'occupied' a couple 'got down to it' in a cupboard in the staff room - much to the amusement of a crowd of folk who walked in as said cupboard was shuffling across the floor!

Clearing up the next day and finishing off the left over crisps; -) and almost doing it all again!

Trying hard to get invites to other office drunken debauchery parties was the Holy Grail November/December time.

As the parties became worse and worse they were banned on health and safety grounds ... and Black Friday was born.

:tee hee: can't help picturing the office from Mad Men when reading that

Mikey09
11-12-2014, 08:13 AM
We're off to our Christmas party at Edinburgh Zoo a week on Saturday!!! I don't drink so get to see at first hand and sober how ****ing stupid some folk can act..... Hopefully a couple of them fall into the lion enclosure... :rudolph

TRC
11-12-2014, 10:20 AM
I can relate to that bud. I see them when they are going home with a belly full of liqueur.

Take it you drive a taxi or a bus can imagine some of the stuff you've had to put up with. So no i wouldn't say its the most wonderful time of year far from it.

Hermit Crab
11-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Take it you drive a taxi or a bus can imagine some of the stuff you've had to put up with. So no i wouldn't say its the most wonderful time of year far from it.

Not buses or taxi mate, the iron road.

Hermit Crab

Absolutely tip top stories. Keep em coming.

lugz
I've got mine a week on sat, 7 lads from the gym heading out. I'm travelling down to Southampton on the Monday (via car ) so don't fancy having the dreaded 2 day hangover.

No doubt it'll be an interesting night, the last time we were out a lad lost his girlfriend and when she phoned to find out where he was he walked outside to see name of the pub and came out with "established 1933" :greengrin Fair to say that was the last place he got into.

Haymaker
11-12-2014, 01:12 PM
I've got mine a week on sat, 7 lads from the gym heading out. I'm travelling down to Southampton on the Monday (via car ) so don't fancy having the dreaded 2 day hangover.

No doubt it'll be an interesting night, the last time we were out a lad lost his girlfriend and when she phoned to find out where he was he walked outside to see name of the pub and came out with "established 1933" :greengrin Fair to say that was the last place he got into.

If you're going to Southampton, find a place called Marshals on London Road. My mate max is the owner, the food is a tad expensive but all home cooked over a bbq and is fantastic. Plus he shows all the American sports too!

Also, stay away from the night clubs on above bar street. Cafe parfait and I think the other is now called Switch.

lugz
11-12-2014, 03:18 PM
If you're going to Southampton, find a place called Marshals on London Road. My mate max is the owner, the food is a tad expensive but all home cooked over a bbq and is fantastic. Plus he shows all the American sports too!

Also, stay away from the night clubs on above bar street. Cafe parfait and I think the other is now called Switch.

Cheers for that, going down to stay with the missus family for Christmas and new year so all clubs are off the cards. Will give that bar a shot though when the nfl is on :aok:

Jack
11-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Pub in Rose Street, I cant remember it name. The toilets were in the basement.

A guy goes to the toilet late on and on coming back upstairs takes the wrong door. Not seeing any of us he's decided we've all gone home and disappears into the night. We had a great time!

Same guy different year, blootered, all of a sudden gets up, swears and runs out the door.

Later at work he tells us he had looked at his watch, it was midnight and he was rushing to get a last bus. Not seeing it and not having enough money for a taxi he starts walking home, from town to Fairmilehead. It's weather like it is now, cold, sleet, miserable. As he's passing the Braid Hills Hotel a bus goes flying past. WTF! He looks at his watch it's 2 am, except it's not its 8 pm - he'd had his watch on upside down!

sleeping giant
11-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Got mine tonight in Buckingham.
Looking forward too it :-)

hibsbollah
11-12-2014, 04:36 PM
A night out with people I have nothing in common with other than the fact we share the same breathing space for 8 hours 5 days a week. Great.

We are going one of those 'bring a party to a party' things. Having worked in hospitality for years I know how people tend to behave at these things. People let off the leash once a year acting like utter cretins. I'll be staying until the meal is done then making my excuses and leaving.

:agree: me too. Hate 'em. Even when I like my colleagues I hate the falseness. Mines tomorrow and I will be eating, having a couple of pints and sneaking off.

Sir David Gray
11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Had mine on Sunday.

Don't remember too much about the second half of the night so I'm guessing it was a success. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
11-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Radisson blu tomorrow night. 7-12, but I'll duck out early for the train. Last year had two ambulances called so hopefully no repeat this year.

Haymaker
11-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Cheers for that, going down to stay with the missus family for Christmas and new year so all clubs are off the cards. Will give that bar a shot though when the nfl is on :aok:

No problem. He owns another boozer called The Rockstone in beavois valley which is a nice boozer to take the bird.

Turtle Bay is a nice place to eat in town as well!

HH81
11-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Tomorrow night for us, its at a curry place :confused:

No drink for me though so I can watch and laugh, some very stressed out people at work at the minute so I expect some fireworks.

Hiber-nation
11-12-2014, 07:30 PM

I'm sure you worked in the old Scottish Office....I was there :greengrin

Or the guy who was trying to leave the building, managed to get into a taxi but forgot his wooden leg....at least someone found it and chucked it into the taxi!

Jack
11-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm sure you worked in the old Scottish Office....I was there :greengrin

Or the guy who was trying to leave the building, managed to get into a taxi but forgot his wooden leg....at least someone found it and chucked it into the taxi!

Go on then. Which party, which department? These events were at a particular party in about 1979 or 80.

A further clue might be I was in section A and married a girl from section E, I think it was.

I still have the photos :-)

You can PM me if necessary ;-)

Hermit Crab
11-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Go on then. Which party, which department? These events were at a particular party in about 1979 or 80.

A further clue might be I was in section A and married a girl from section E, I think it was.

I still have the photos :-)

You can PM me if necessary ;-)

Im intrigued.

Speedy
11-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Pub in Rose Street, I cant remember it name. The toilets were in the basement.

A guy goes to the toilet late on and on coming back upstairs takes the wrong door. Not seeing any of us he's decided we've all gone home and disappears into the night. We had a great time!

Same guy different year, blootered, all of a sudden gets up, swears and runs out the door.

Later at work he tells us he had looked at his watch, it was midnight and he was rushing to get a last bus. Not seeing it and not having enough money for a taxi he starts walking home, from town to Fairmilehead. It's weather like it is now, cold, sleet, miserable. As he's passing the Braid Hills Hotel a bus goes flying past. WTF! He looks at his watch it's 2 am, except it's not its 8 pm - he'd had his watch on upside down!

Milnes?

Jack
11-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Im intrigued.

Those were good times :-)

Jack
11-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Milnes?

Could have been. To be fair it was a long time ago :-)

Hermit Crab
11-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Those were good times :-)

Sounds like it!! :aok:

Hiber-nation
12-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Although I wasn't at the parties Jack is on about I can vouch for most of his stories as it was mental in these days. Wish I could turn back the clock!

Hermit Crab
12-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Although I wasn't at the parties Jack is on about I can vouch for most of his stories as it was mental in these days. Wish I could turn back the clock!

Having worked plenty backshifts during during the festive period over the years I've seen some states going home, the same people that wouldn't say boo to you going to work on a Monday morning.

Allant1981
13-12-2014, 08:29 AM
I loved our christmas nights at gleneagles, the staff were all served food by the bosses in the function rooms, free wine on the tables then over to the staff social club. Drunk doesnt even come close. Didnt have one at my new job this year as its a brand new dept and we have all only just started

Hermit Crab
14-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Had ours last night. Bowie tribute gig. Good fun plenty bevy and laughs. Lawn mowers were out in force last night as well. :rolleyes:

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Lawn mowers were out in force last night as well. :rolleyes:

What does this mean?

Hermit Crab
14-12-2014, 02:14 PM
What does this mean?

Grass cutting.

Mr Grieves
14-12-2014, 05:19 PM
I had my work Christmas lunch yesterday and I can't remember a thing after 7pm. I've well and truly got the fear today

Phil D. Rolls
14-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Used to hate them when I was a taxi driver. I remember being outside the Cavendish at 4 pm, and two people carried this creature out. The person was legless, and they thought that a taxi was the answer to their problems.

The standard reply in these situations is "you got them drunk, you get them home".

tbh most of the people I took home we're glad the thing was all over. Beats me why anybody thinks these things are good for staff morale.

Dalianwanda
15-12-2014, 01:33 PM
First year working for myself so I've planned a trip through to Dublin..Have a few pints of creamy G in Grogans as well as a couple of their legendary cheese and ham toasties..Get the train back here with a festive carry out for the 3 hours trip...

Pretty Boy
15-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Had mine on Saturday. Meal was decent and it seemed our party night was amazingly low on dickheads. Ended up enjoying myself after dreading it a bit.

Even won £300 playing 3 card poker at the casino after.

DH1875
15-12-2014, 04:28 PM
We are having ours at the end of January :rolleyes:

KdyHby
15-12-2014, 04:44 PM
I had my work Christmas lunch yesterday and I can't remember a thing after 7pm. I've well and truly got the fear today

Still in a job?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Milnes?
No Timex ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
15-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Caves - hadn't been before - decent venue

TRC
15-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Caves - hadn't been before - decent venue

The caves is awesome if some what a little on the chilly side.

frazeHFC
16-12-2014, 07:38 AM
The company I had an internship with over summer had theirs on Friday night. I've been with them 3 summers and the last 2 Xmas nights out were immense. The concept of free bevvy all night excites me for the whole year. However our exams are a week later this year so I couldn't go. :grr:

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-12-2014, 02:48 PM
The concept of free bevvy all night excites me for the whole year.

That was a common occurance in Da Da Da on Shandwick Place. Was a devastating blow when it shut down!

Scouse Hibee
18-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Had ours last night,free bar all night, never got that in my last job.

Haymaker
18-12-2014, 11:25 AM
As I am self employed I will treat myself to a few beers tonight!

Pete
19-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Used to hate them when I was a taxi driver. I remember being outside the Cavendish at 4 pm, and two people carried this creature out. The person was legless, and they thought that a taxi was the answer to their problems.

The standard reply in these situations is "you got them drunk, you get them home".

tbh most of the people I took home we're glad the thing was all over. Beats me why anybody thinks these things are good for staff morale.

Black Friday.

Light off and those standing unsteadily in the middle of the road holding a pizza box need not apply.

Hermit Crab
19-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Black Friday.

Light off and those standing unsteadily in the middle of the road holding a pizza box need not apply.

Thank fork I'm dayshift this weekend.

Jack
19-12-2014, 06:02 PM
How To Go To The Pub

http://juicecomedy.co.uk/2012/12/30/how-to-go-to-the-pub/

hibbymick
22-12-2014, 08:12 PM
I get asked every year to go to the xmas night oot and every year they get told the same answer.........." I wouldn't drink with any of you at any other time of year so why would I want to drink with you now, oh and I dont like you".

Peevemor
22-12-2014, 08:59 PM
There's about 30 of us where I work and we usually have 3 or 4 organised social events per year (normally paid for by the company). As is to be expected, there are those who are used to a good scoop and others who don't drink much at all and, maybe surprisingly, they generally don't change their habits for the nights out.

I think there's less Christmas binge drinking here on the continent.