PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: 42 YEARS ON: TORNADOES' TRIUMPH

RSS Bot
09-12-2014, 10:00 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/4992)

ancient hibee
09-12-2014, 04:49 PM
The minute it was obvious that Stein had switched Jinky to mark Brownlie I knew we had the game won.

emerald green
09-12-2014, 05:06 PM
They really should have won more trophies than they did. Best team never to have been champions IMHO.

That's not just me with the green tinted specs on. It's a view I've heard and seen written by some of the better informed and unbiased football commentators.

Bostonhibby
09-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Happy days, where did it all go wrong? still one of my best boyhood memories, and New Years day not long after as well.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2014, 05:29 PM
'It's a goal. Stanton score, 15 minutes into the 2nd half. A classic free kick situation'.

'Stanton lofting it across. O'Rourke. What a goal. WHAT A GOAL. Magnificent goal by Jim O'Rourke, he's away behind the goal.'

The just don't make commentators like that nowadays. Every time I see the footage of that game I always think the commentary adds to it.

Leithenhibby
09-12-2014, 05:35 PM
They really should have won more trophies than they did. Best team never to have been champions IMHO.

That's not just me with the green tinted specs on. It's a view I've heard and seen written by some of the better informed and unbiased football commentators.

:agree:

To be introduced to football as a young boy following this team has perhaps given me a sense of false security.........

What I'd give to have a team like this once more.. :wink:

emerald green
09-12-2014, 05:44 PM
:agree:

To be introduced to football as a young boy following this team has perhaps given me a sense of false security.........

What I'd give to have a team like this once more.. :wink:

:agree: They would be champions, without a doubt in my mind (and I don't mean the Championship!).

Leithenhibby
09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
:agree: They would be champions, without a doubt in my mind (and I don't mean the Championship!).

:agree: They would.

I recall talking with, Alan Gordon one night at a dinner, he said that if they had sent Turnbull on a cruise, He'd have returned to find the flag flying. AG thought he panicked a tad........

H18Y GW
09-12-2014, 06:02 PM
On the statue with my dad,waiting on them arriving at the NB.......Earliest glory after the 6-1 greetin match

Lago
09-12-2014, 06:12 PM
I was fortunate to see them, what a team, what excitement and anticipation going to ER. When will we see their likes again, not any time soon unfortunately.

Jonnyboy
09-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Wonderful memories and tears of joy :agree:

Forza Fred
09-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Wonderful memories and tears of joy :agree:

I actually missed this game as I was plaiying in an East Of Scotland cup tie at St Marks Park against Leith Athletic.

Got the news from a Celtic supporter at the top of Easter Road and threw my boots 10 feet in the air in celebration.

Also managed to put three past Big Charlie Groom in goals so it was a great day all round.

Jonnyboy
09-12-2014, 07:36 PM
I actually missed this game as I was plaiying in an East Of Scotland cup tie at St Marks Park against Leith Athletic.

Got the news from a Celtic supporter at the top of Easter Road and threw my boots 10 feet in the air in celebration.

Also managed to put three past Big Charlie Groom in goals so it was a great day all round.

:greengrin :aok:

KSA Hibee
09-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Jeso ... I know that was one of our finest moments but !!! it also sadly shows has far we have fallen and why my son and daughter think " i'm a bit of a Victor" when it comes to the Cabbage..

For me Pat Stanton at the final whistle shows more passion for our club trying to get his team mates, who have just gubbed Celtic and won a trophy, to acknowledge the Hibs fans than some of those gracing our strip have sadly shown while playing during too many recent seasons.

As someone who feels the Mowbary era was the last time we were genuinally entertained, the Tornadoes will forever be the team who made me appreciate what loving Hibs was all about. For the younger generation, like my own kids who thought as an example "Dad I think Benji was pretty good" and "I don't think Vine was that bad" the words boots - couldn't - lace spring to mind.

There are 2 important things from my early days on this planet that I will never forget ... my national insurance number and Herriot, Brownie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rouke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan :not worth

I'm away tae my bed now fur a greet :boo hoo::boo hoo:

Stantons Angel
09-12-2014, 11:06 PM
"I'm away tae my bed now fur a greet"

No need to greet! you at least have a memory of a Hibs team playing the football we are used to.

Going to a game on a Saturday you would ask "how many goals are we going to score today?" It was a joy to watch that team. No prima donnas or overpaid wasters in that team, Eddie seen to that.

In Pat Stanton they had a leader on the park, his presence was enough to give any player confidence and the way he strode across the park that day was like poetry in motion. I kid you not! He oozed confidence and ability, he lead that team by example and every one of them followed on.

After having a brick chucked through the window of our bus in Easter Road by a wee lad with a Celtic strip on we suffered a freezing cold trip through to Hampden that day.
Because of the traffic we missed the kick off and with the Hibs end being full had to go in beside the Celtic support.
After making our way from the back down to the front so i could see the game. Hibs scored and the excitment got a bit much for me and i threw my arms round the guy standing next to me thinking he was with me. When he turned around he was bedecked out in green and white alright but he was supporting Celtic.

What a fright! he just said "its aw rite, it was a great goal" and smiled Phew!!!

a night to remember followed and memories of a football team playing the game as it should be played!