PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Hibs in for Stranraer duo (Mitchell and Longridge)

WellingtonHibby
09-12-2014, 01:03 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/hibs-target-stranraer-pair-mitchell-and-longridge-1-3628890

A keeper and a defender both originally playing for Ayr.

Hermit Crab
09-12-2014, 01:10 AM
Uninspiring. It is the Scotsman though so probably a lot of rubbish.

SteveHFC
09-12-2014, 01:14 AM

Highly uninspiring mate. Nice to see our scouts are doing an excellent job as usual.

Dunbar Hibee
09-12-2014, 01:30 AM
Highly uninspiring mate. Nice to see our scouts are doing an excellent job as usual.

What type of players are you expecting us to look at?

Wilson
09-12-2014, 01:44 AM
This could just be Stranraer advertising their players. If Hibs are interested these look like young players for Stubbs to bring on gradually.

Nothing to panic about here.

SteveHFC
09-12-2014, 01:52 AM
What type of players are you expecting us to look at?

We should be sitting our heights higher than players in League 1.

Dunbar Hibee
09-12-2014, 01:54 AM

Who should we be looking at?

HoboHarry
09-12-2014, 01:57 AM
Absolute rubbish. Every team in the world looks for players with potential from lower leagues. Doesn't mean that AS isn't looking for other players whop would be first team material immediately.

portyhibernian
09-12-2014, 02:31 AM
There is undoubtedly talent to be found in the lower leagues, as Kenny says Robertson is a good example and Livingston have produced some quality players too. On the other hand these aren't the sort of signings that are going to get anyone excited, and I'd argue at this point in time the priority should be recruiting players who are ready to come into the first team and help us get back into the Premier League.

HoboHarry
09-12-2014, 02:38 AM
There is undoubtedly talent to be found in the lower leagues, as Kenny says Robertson is a good example and Livingston have produced some quality players too. On the other hand these aren't the sort of signings that are going to get anyone excited, and I'd argue at this point in time the priority should be recruiting players who are ready to come into the first team and help us get back into the Premier League.
How do you know it's not a priority? It's possible to be looking at players of all levels at the same time.

portyhibernian
09-12-2014, 04:46 AM
How do you know it's not a priority? It's possible to be looking at players of all levels at the same time.

Well I'd imagine the priority is the first team right now, and I can only go by what I'm reading which is that we're looking at signing Stranraer players who in all likelihood aren't of the required standard be that now or in 3 years time.

macd123
09-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Well I'd imagine the priority is the first team right now, and I can only go by what I'm reading which is that we're looking at signing Stranraer players who in all likelihood aren't of the required standard be that now or in 3 years time.

It's encouraging we are doing our homework. We need to look for guys like this whether junior football, lower leagues or wherever.

Onceinawhile
09-12-2014, 06:11 AM
If no one looked at lower leagues Andrew Robertson would still be at Queens Park...

Exactly. This forum is full of posts saying why don't we scout the lower leagues more effectively, then there's a sniff of us signing a lower league player and folk get pissy.
Unreal.

Greencore
09-12-2014, 06:27 AM
If rather we signed players from the lower leagues who are eager to play for a club like hubs and know what Hibs are about. If the manager and scouts see something in these players they get my full backing. And no I'm not saying the players we have signed this season are gash before someone twists this post :D

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-12-2014, 06:52 AM
It's great. For too long we have signed dross. We need to be using all the resources we have to find talent in all areas.
Well done hibs.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

scoopyboy
09-12-2014, 07:04 AM
If no one looked at lower leagues Andrew Robertson would still be at Queens Park...

Exactly, but it's what the doom and gloom merchants thrive on.

Ever since I've been watching football (mid sixties) there has been good players to be found in the lower leagues.

Hibs would be neglecting their duties if the lower divisions were being ignored.

scoopyboy
09-12-2014, 07:06 AM

Do you think players come with guarantees?

KeithTheHibby
09-12-2014, 07:11 AM
I would rather we sign young lad like these who are hungry to do well rather than some of the journey men crap we've endured over the past few years.

KeithTheHibby
09-12-2014, 07:12 AM

Maybe they are good enough for the first team? Perhaps we should leave the scouting to the experts eh?

JimBHibees
09-12-2014, 07:15 AM

Ever seen them play?

JimBHibees
09-12-2014, 07:16 AM
I would rather we sign young lad like these who are hungry to do well rather than some of the journey men crap we've endured over the past few years.

Agree entirely, sign people going up rather than ones on the way down.

JimBHibees
09-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Ever since I've been watching football (mid sixties) there has been good players to be found in the lower leagues.

Hibs would be neglecting their duties if the lower divisions were being ignored.

Agree was there not a lot of whining on here about Hibs neglecting the lower leagues.

Aldo
09-12-2014, 07:27 AM
More than happy for us to be looking in the lower leagues.

Utd seem to of benefited greatly from lower leagues with Robertson in particular and Blair Spittal who seems to be holding his own.

Tyler Durden
09-12-2014, 07:29 AM

In all likelihood? Nonsense more like.

Delighted to hear we are properly scouting again.

Hiber-nation
09-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Great if we are looking at lower league players. About time.

TowerHibs
09-12-2014, 07:42 AM
This place is boring.

Same guff all time about uninspiring potential a signings. In 6 months time there will be threads asking why Dundee Utd are unearthing lower league players while we sign huddies from league 1 in England.

Not sure who these "uninspired" people want us to sign??? We're skint.

jodjam
09-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Never ceases to amaze me folk looking for the negatives all the time. Some cracking players have started in lower leagues. I'm sure there are many games we scout now. If these lads look to have something then let's hope we land them. Hopefully we can enjoy watching them develop.

Heisenberg
09-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Folk lose their minds when United etc sign young players from lower leagues saying it what's hibs should be doing. Hibs look like they are going to try it and are ripped apart by some fans. Mental.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-12-2014, 08:17 AM

Good effort.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Never ceases to amaze me folk looking for the negatives all the time. Some cracking players have started in lower leagues. I'm sure there are many games we scout now. If these lads look to have something then let's hope we land them. Hopefully we can enjoy watching them develop.

The question is who are the folk?

Thecat23
09-12-2014, 08:27 AM
I think there are some good players down in the lower leagues who would give their right arm to have a shot with a bigger club. Dundee Utd proved there is talent. I know absolutely nothing of the players mentioned if I'm honest. That doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Sometimes these players push on and I'd take a chance on them rather than going the way we have with journeymen who just want a last pay before retiring.

Billy Whizz
09-12-2014, 08:30 AM
I think there are some good players down in the lower leagues who would give their right arm to have a shot with a bigger club. Dundee Utd proved there is talent. I know absolutely nothing of the players mentioned if I'm honest. That doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Sometimes these players push on and I'd take a chance on them rather than going the way we have with journeymen who just want a last pay before retiring.

I agree. Hearts have been watching a young lad from queen of the south. Heard their manager James fowler on Sportsound last night, he said they expect to lose him in January

Thecat23
09-12-2014, 08:33 AM
I agree. Hearts have been watching a young lad from queen of the south. Heard their manager fowler on Sportsound last night, he Dias they expect to lose him in January

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Hearts seem to watch many of the lower league teams and have scouts checking on quite a few players!

Folk need to stop thinking all the good players play abroad or England, yes I'm sure many gems could be found down there but sometimes these guys are still on more money than we could give them. I'll be happy if we found a couple of good players and hopefully watch them kick on like the lads Utd had did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey
09-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Anyone who has been to East Mains to listen to George Craig, Graeme Mathie and Alan Stubbs will know that the club researches players thoroughly before going in for them. For now we just have to trust them.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Exactly. This forum is full of posts saying why don't we scout the lower leagues more effectively, then there's a sniff of us signing a lower league player and folk get pissy.
Unreal.

Could it not just be different folk taking opposite viewpoints?

PeterboroHibee
09-12-2014, 08:36 AM

Why shouldnt people be excited? The lower leagues are probably one of the best places to try and pick up talent, and its something we havent been particularly good at. Although Robertson is a bit of a freak (Queens Park to Hull in a year is an unbelievable rise), it highlights that players can be ready to step into a higher division. There are lots of other examples of players who have made the step up.

I dont know anything about the two players mentioned, but the club seem to have done their homework and must rate them. Thats good enough for me, and probably excites me more than picking up reserves or has beens from England (which we have been very guilty of in the past).

Lee Marvin
09-12-2014, 08:38 AM

Why? What absolute tosh. If they were both in their 30s fair enough, but they are both very young.

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm not bothered where we get our players from, i just want them to be good players.

aljo7-0
09-12-2014, 09:44 AM
There was a small reference to this in the Metro today with the Stranraer manager saying Hibs had someone at their last 10 games watching and he assumed they were looking at the 2 mentioned and they were expecting them to go in January. I took 2 things from the article - 1 - it sounds as if the scouting is pretty thorough if they are watching them in that many games. 2 - the Stranraer manager was looking to drum up interest from others, and thereby get more for his players, by letting it be known

JimBHibees
09-12-2014, 09:47 AM
There was a small reference to this in the Metro today with the Stranraer manager saying Hibs had someone at their last 10 games watching and he assumed they were looking at the 2 mentioned and they were expecting them to go in January. I took 2 things from the article - 1 - it sounds as if the scouting is pretty thorough if they are watching them in that many games. 2 - the Stranraer manager was looking to drum up interest from others, and thereby get more for his players, by letting it be known

No doubt.

Mikey
09-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Anyone who has been to East Mains to listen to George Craig, Graeme Mathie and Alan Stubbs will know that the club researches players thoroughly before going in for them. For now we just have to trust them.

I took 2 things from the article - 1 - it sounds as if the scouting is pretty thorough if they are watching them in that many games.......

:wink:

brog
09-12-2014, 10:33 AM

My goodness, I would never have expected you to be first in with a negative comment. Now that's what I call uninspiring!

flash
09-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Its a market that has served Hearts well over the years but you would know that.

Hermit Crab
09-12-2014, 10:39 AM
My goodness, I would never have expected you to be first in with a negative comment. Now that's what I call uninspiring!

Opinions eh.

Hermit Crab
Its a market that has served Hearts well over the years but you would know that.

See above

greenginger
If we had signed Andy Robertson from Queens Park ........ I don't need to complete this do I ?

Billychaotic182
09-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Sometimes I really hate hibs fans. Uninspiring? As mentioned before Andy Robertson, Andy Webster, Paul Paton, Nacho Novo and so on are all players signed by spl clubs from lower leagues who went on to do brilliant in Scottish football. If Stubbs thinks they are good then I trust his judgement as he hasn't gone wrong with signings so far. But all we need to do is go back and look at the thread when Gray signed to see all the nonsense some so called hibs fans write on here. Wouldn't even be happy if we signed Ronaldo.

brog
09-12-2014, 10:51 AM
One club alone, Dundee United. have signed Andrew Robertson, Craig Conway, Morgaro Gomis, Blair Spittal, Paul Dixon, Scott Robertson, Gary Mackay-Stevens & Danny Swanson from Scottish lower leagues in recent years & that's just off the top of my head. The wee team have signed Templeton, Stevenson & Webster amongst others. The majority of these have subsequently been capped or sold on at a significant profit. Every player should be judged on his merit, not on the club from which he's signed.

greenginger
09-12-2014, 10:52 AM
What about signing another Des Bremner from Deveronvale. Went on to win a European Cup medal with Villa but would be panned by some people.

Greencore
09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Ryan Gauld came from Brechin signed by Dundee United.

brog
09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Opinions eh.
A serious question, had you ever heard of either of these players before today? I hadn't so find it impossible to be inspired or uninspired but I'm certainly intrigued & happy that we seem to have a revitalised scouting system in place.

Peevemor
09-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Our first team squad is currently full of players from the Scottish lower leagues.

Mikey
09-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Sometimes I really hate hibs fans. Uninspiring? As mentioned before Andy Robertson, Andy Webster, Paul Paton, Nacho Novo and so on are all players signed by spl clubs from lower leagues who went on to do brilliant in Scottish football. If Stubbs thinks they are good then I trust his judgement as he hasn't gone wrong with signings so far. But all we need to do is go back and look at the thread when Gray signed to see all the nonsense some so called hibs fans write on here. Wouldn't even be happy if we signed Ronaldo.

Can't be bothered looking, but it will be the same ones.

greenpaper55
09-12-2014, 11:11 AM
I remember the fans shaking their heads when we signed Neil Martin from Q O S, turned out one of the best signings we ever made.

Bobo
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
A serious question, had you ever heard of either of these players before today? I hadn't so find it impossible to be inspired or uninspired but I'm certainly intrigued & happy that we seem to have a revitalised scouting system in place.

Had many people heard of Joe Baker before he signed from Armadale or John Blackley from Gairdoch or Gordon Smith from Dundee North End ... need I go on?

It doesn't matter who a player signs from or for how much, it's what potential they have and how they realise that on the pitch in a Hibs shirt.

Money has ruined the game and there are probably hundreds of undiscovered players in the juniors and lower leagues that could more than hold their own in the professional game.

green.and.white
09-12-2014, 11:34 AM
It's about time we started digging in the lower leagues! A lot of talent there as many have already mentioned. Will this be the only type of player we bring in in January, or are these youngsters bonuses on top of a bit more experience to come in as well? We will have to wait and see.

Hamish
09-12-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree. Hearts have been watching a young lad from queen of the south. Heard their manager James fowler on Sportsound last night, he said they expect to lose him in January

Was a name mentioned? I thought the left back Kevin Holt looked a player when we played them at ER

Hermit Crab
09-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Fair point. Taken on board.

S4uzee
09-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Was a name mentioned? I thought the left back Kevin Holt looked a player when we played them at ER

:agree: He strolled it

brog
09-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Fair point. Taken on board.

I appreciate your comment! It's a love-in! :wink:

stantonhibby
09-12-2014, 12:03 PM

A QOTS fan I know expects him to sign a pre-contract with Hearts in Jan.

NAE NOOKIE
09-12-2014, 12:06 PM
That Gordon Durie we got from East Fife was rubbish I seem to remember.

Its good that we are looking at guys in the lower leagues. If these lads are making an impression now who can say how much they might achieve with full time training.

NAE NOOKIE
09-12-2014, 12:08 PM

We still need a decent LB lets pinch him :greengrin

Hibernian Verse
09-12-2014, 12:15 PM
That Leigh Griffiths was ****. Probably because he hadn't kicked an SPL ball before he signed for Wolves.

Brightside
09-12-2014, 12:33 PM
The anti-comments are really nothing to do with the players or where they are from. Just fans that dont like the club very much at the moment. Thats understandable. But if we hadnt wasted so much money on useless loan players over the years instead of hunting for talents in the lower leagues we wouldnt have been in this mess.

Kato
09-12-2014, 12:35 PM

We should "sitting our heights", or even better "setting our sights", on players the coaching staff think can do a job for Hibs, no matter where those players are at the moment.

SteveHFC
09-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Take back what i said earlier. Mitchell has been getting great reviews all season and Longridge has potential too apparently.

Paloschi
09-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Nothing wrong with looking at players from lower leagues. They have to start somewhere.

Like the fact we have allegedly watched them 10 times too. Robust scouting.

Would also like to see Martin, Mulhall and L.Allan more involved between now and the end of the season.

With a fully fit squad I can still see us finishing second.

J-C
09-12-2014, 12:55 PM
John Brownlie............signed from Pumpherston Juniors
Colin Stein....Armadale Thistle
Pat Stanton....Bonnyrigg Rose

All played at a lower level before being snapped up, look at the careers they had.

Hibbyradge
09-12-2014, 12:56 PM

It seems the boys have been watched around a dozen times.

How should scouts do their job?

Greenblood70
09-12-2014, 01:10 PM
The management team's ability to spot a player makes me optimistic that these two (who I know little or nothing about) will be decent signings should they join us. Been pretty impressed by the standard of our recruitment, my quibble has always been with the number of bodies we needed versus what we brought in.

CropleyWasGod
09-12-2014, 01:23 PM
The management team's ability to spot a player makes me optimistic that these two (who I know little or nothing about) will be decent signings should they join us. Been pretty impressed by the standard of our recruitment, my quibble has always been with the number of bodies we needed versus what we brought in.

If the reports about the debt write-off are correct, it's not just the fans who will be relying on that. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
09-12-2014, 01:28 PM

By signing all the proven talent at Premiership level and above that are queuing up to sign for Hibs of course.

cabbageandribs1875
09-12-2014, 01:35 PM
the late great Joe Baker signed from Armadale Thistle, what a Gem

scoopyboy
09-12-2014, 01:44 PM

Watching DVDs sent in by their agents. Why on earth would you want to watch players time after time in the flesh when you can watch a DVD.

Hibs should have been taking this approach years ago. Watching players regularly will never catch on.

JimBHibees
09-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Watching DVDs sent in by their agents. Why on earth would you want to watch players time after time in the flesh when you can watch a DVD.

Hibs should have been taking this approach years ago. Watching players regularly will never catch on.

Was it not Ferguson or it may have been Moyes who said they would never buy a player until they had personally seen the player 5 times.

TheFamous1875
09-12-2014, 02:03 PM
http://www.stranraerfc.org/index.php/squad-info?id=107

Longridge is apparently a 'left-sided defender' - one for the future perhaps? Replacement for Fontaine once his contract runs out?

I'm very glad we're now scouting properly, from Scottish lower leagues to EPL. That's how it should've always been done at a club of our size. 'Prestige' means **** all - these are two up-n-coming young players. This could be either a massive coup or a failure, just like any signing. Liam Craig and Scott Robertson came to us with good reputations almost two years ago and only now are they showing any signs of consistent form in roles that compliment their games - the jury's still out on them now! Let's at least support the new regime that seems to be at least trying to get the basics right.

Future17
09-12-2014, 03:34 PM

We should "sitting our heights", or even better "setting our sights", on players the coaching staff think can do a job for Hibs, no matter where those players are at the moment.

Regardless of whether we need to be sitting our heights or setting our sights, there's a few on here that need to stop sh*tt**g their tights.

Hamish
09-12-2014, 04:11 PM

Thought it might be him. Thanks.

Crops73
09-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Who should we be looking at?

Just better than this.

Griffiths would be great.

Deeks (if fit) would be more than acceptable.

Hibbyradge
09-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Just better than this.

Griffiths would be great.

Deeks (if fit) would be more than acceptable.

Do you know anything about these two players?

Anything at all?

I'm impressed that you'd happily sign a player who has been let go by Alloa, rather than youngsters who have been identified as prospects for the future.

silverhibee
09-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Ever seen them play?

Yes. :greengrin

ancient hibee
09-12-2014, 05:30 PM
John Brownlie............signed from Pumpherston Juniors
Colin Stein....Armadale Thistle
Pat Stanton....Bonnyrigg Rose

All played at a lower level before being snapped up, look at the careers they had.

Not quite.Hibs actually placed the players with junior clubs to bring them up to speed faster.Hibs paid the wages.

silverhibee
09-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Great if we are looking at lower league players. About time.

Me and Jonnyboy banged on about two players from the lower divisions last season, i mentioned them to a scout at Hibs, one player ended at Dundee and the other went down South (think Barnsley), they looked good prospects, worth a punt certainly.

Bronson
09-12-2014, 05:55 PM

Gavin Reilly?

emerald green
09-12-2014, 06:18 PM

I heard a whisper Hibs were looking at a couple of young guys in La Liga. Names Messi and Ronaldo. :wink:

Seriously though, Hibs just haven't got the money to sign players from leagues higher than we are currently in, I don't think.

Why would players from teams in higher/better leagues sign for a club in the Scottish Championship unless Hibs really made it worth their while financially? This is one of the consequences of having been relegated last season I'm afraid.

--------
09-12-2014, 06:29 PM

Indeed. No doubt you can remember the stushie when ET signed that unknown from the lower reaches of the Highland League - what was his name again?

Des something-or-other?

Whatever did he ever achieve in football?

Then he paid a record fee for a Scottish international striker from the English First Division. H was REALLY successful, IIRC.

Agree entirely, sign people going up rather than ones on the way down.

That is exactly the way Billy Beane looks at recruiting baseball players for the Oakland A's - limited budget, needing to compete against much bigger opponents, so instead of signing big-name players past their best, he looks for young players, hungry, on the way up. It appears to work reasonably well or them ....

I would far rather we were looking at young potential than tired old veterans and damaged goods - alcoholics with dodgy knees and a lousy attitude or "he once played for Everton in the EPL, you know", meaning "he played once for Everton in the EPL, and got his jotters the Monday morning after"...

cabbageandribs1875
09-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Gavin Reilly?

how good would it have been to say those words again "gie the baw tae reilly"

Jonnyboy
09-12-2014, 07:40 PM

:agree: Along with a few others.

Lucius Apuleius
09-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Not to forget Schaedler from the Binos. He worked out alright

Jonnyboy
09-12-2014, 07:43 PM

Wonder if it's their left back as he's impressed on both occasions we've played them.

Another player I like the look of is Ryan McCord, number 8 for Alloa

Jonnyboy
09-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Take back what i said earlier. Mitchell has been getting great reviews all season and Longridge has potential too apparently.

Now if only you'd taken the time to research that before piling in with a negative reaction :wink:

SteveHFC
09-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Now if only you'd taken the time to research that before piling in with a negative reaction :wink:

Always good for bites mate ;)

stantonhibby
09-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Wonder if it's their left back as he's impressed on both occasions we've played them.

It is the LB. Pre contract in Jan apparently.

sleeping giant
09-12-2014, 08:11 PM
I love when Hibs dip into the lower leagues for players.
Bring them in I say.

Players like that would give everything they have to make it. If they are not good enough then fine but it's their shot at the big time.

Few decent players over the years plucked out if the lower leagues.

Just for the record , I know WE are in the lower leagues :greengrin

bingo70
09-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Who was the last player we signed from that level?

southern hibby
09-12-2014, 08:21 PM
I would rather have a young player desperate to play for hibs, rather than a journeyman looking for the last payout before retiring.

However the journeyman does have their uses I'n certain circumstances. I leave the players we go for up to Stubbs as he seems to have done good for us I'n this department.

GGTTH

sleeping giant
09-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Lovering ?

bingo70
09-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Lovering ?

Would airdrie not have been first division then?

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Would airdrie not have been first division then?

Was it not Ayr? :confused:

Scorrie
09-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Was it not Ayr? :confused:

Clydebank I think. Went to Ayr after Hibs. I'm delighted we are looking to scout and sign players from the lower leagues in Scotland. Some really good players there and even in the Juniors

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Clydebank I think. Went to Ayr after Hibs. I'm delighted we are looking to scout and sign players from the lower leagues in Scotland. Some really good players there and even in the Juniors

Memory like a sieve. :thumbsup:

sleeping giant
09-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Tom somebody too .

Is that right ? Same time as Lovering .

sleeping giant
09-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Mark McGraw :-)

Hamish
09-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Tom somebody too .

Is that right ? Same time as Lovering .

Tom Smith, did a great job for us.

Supplied the cross for Mr Sauzee to need some dentistry work against our neighbours

brog
09-12-2014, 09:02 PM

I think Paul Cairney was championship when we signed him. We weren't!

silverhibee
09-12-2014, 09:05 PM

There was talk of Hartley taking him to Dundee when Hartley first took the job up there, seen him play a number of times J, hot and cold, has some nice touches about him but a bit of a hot head as well, at 25 i think his chance of making it full time has now gone for him.

I'm all for looking at the lower leagues for prospects, young lads starting of there career and shining in these leagues who look to have potential are worth the chance if you can see they are willing to work hard and develop there game, but anyone over the age of 21-23 i wouldn't think these players will make it full time, seen Montrose play about a month a go (don't no his name :rolleyes:) but they had this young lad (and i mean young) playing for them and he looked very good, tricky wee player willing to run at full backs, certainly impressed me that night. Just can't remember his name. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
09-12-2014, 09:05 PM
We signed a few players from our rivals last time we were in this division.

We have signed players from teams who had just been relegated from the SPL in the last few years like Canning, Yantorno, Cregg and McBride. I think the last player we signed from the league below was Cairney. I think Sauzee signed Kevin Nicol from Raith as well, but it's not something we've done a lot.

Rodsterino
09-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Ivan Who? £5 poxy grand from Who? Give the boys a go, Stubbs has turned a crisis into a drama, I trust him.

Jonnyboy
09-12-2014, 09:40 PM
There was talk of Hartley taking him to Dundee when Hartley first took the job up there, seen him play a number of times J, hot and cold, has some nice touches about him but a bit of a hot head as well, at 25 i think his chance of making it full time has now gone for him.

I'm all for looking at the lower leagues for prospects, young lads starting of there career and shining in these leagues who look to have potential are worth the chance if you can see they are willing to work hard and develop there game, but anyone over the age of 21-23 i wouldn't think these players will make it full time, seen Montrose play about a month a go (don't no his name :rolleyes:) but they had this young lad (and i mean young) playing for them and he looked very good, tricky wee player willing to run at full backs, certainly impressed me that night. Just can't remember his name. :greengrin

Ah, hadn't realised he was that age P :aok:

This guy, maybe? http://www.montrosefc.co.uk/index.php/squad-info-mm/24-players-season-2014-15/160-kyle-mcleod

Pedantic_Hibee
09-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Jimmy Scott?

sleeping giant
09-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Greame Mitchel ?

silverhibee
09-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Jimmy Scott

Stevie Reid
09-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Greame Mitchel ?

I think Hamilton were Premier League when we signed Mitch.

jacomo
09-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Jimmy Scott

We all dream of a team of Jimmy Scott's.

:wink:

silverhibee
09-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Ah, hadn't realised he was that age P :aok:

This guy, maybe? http://www.montrosefc.co.uk/index.php/squad-info-mm/24-players-season-2014-15/160-kyle-mcleod

That is lad John, he played right wing when i seen him.

Good find :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
09-12-2014, 10:19 PM

Unreal.

Well said both.

sleeping giant
09-12-2014, 10:19 PM
I think Hamilton were Premier League when we signed Mitch.

Im no very good at this :greengrin

Zazu62
10-12-2014, 07:30 AM
We should sign that longworth as well he scores nearly every week for them

--------
10-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Not to forget Schaedler from the Binos. He worked out alright

Neil Martin - Alloa to Queen of the South to Hibs, IIRC. Not a bad strike-rate.

Jim McArthur was a more than decent keeper - Cowdenbeath?

Kaiser1962
10-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Do you think players come with guarantees?

Did Alan O'Brien have one?

--------
10-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Did Alan O'Brien have one?

Yup - from Tommy Craig. "Ivan Sproule on a motor-bike", IIRC.

Part of a job-lot of useless rubbish that Collins and Craig got up a back-street somewhere.

Just seen it on BBC - Craig's been sacked. Still "one of the best coaches I've ever seen", according to the chairman. He mustn't get out a lot, that bloke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30395673

Andy74
10-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Notice Stubbs has said he has had them watched maybe a couple of times, not ten, and just part of a long target list to work through.

J-C
10-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Yup - from Tommy Craig. "Ivan Sproule on a motor-bike", IIRC.

Part of a job-lot of useless rubbish that Collins and Craig got up a back-street somewhere.

Just seen it on BBC - Craig's been sacked. Still "one of the best coaches I've ever seen", according to the chairman. He mustn't get out a lot, that bloke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30395673

Thought it was a discgrace the way they treated Danny Lennon, St Mirren are perennial relegation canditates and Lennon did a great job with what he had, took them to a cup win and highest ever place in the SPL, what more were they expecting??

JimBHibees
10-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Thought it was a discgrace the way they treated Danny Lennon, St Mirren are perennial relegation canditates and Lennon did a great job with what he had, took them to a cup win and highest ever place in the SPL, what more were they expecting??

Completely agree thought Lennon did a very decent job and had them playing some good stuff and thought they were terrific in that final. For them to punt him for his side kick was incredible and probably killed Lennon's career also.

Mikey09
10-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Shouldn't just be looking at these two. Would love to see Danny Carmichael given a chance with us. Really good player. Always rated the boy.

Stevie Reid
10-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Absolutely, I argued those points quite a bit in the discussion thread when they let him go. Was a crazy move and I've no sympathy for St. Mirren at all.

bingo70
10-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Absolutely, I argued those points quite a bit in the discussion thread when they let him go. Was a crazy move and I've no sympathy for St. Mirren at all.

Prior to that I thought they were harsh letting Gus McPherson go.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Shouldn't just be looking at these two. Would love to see Danny Carmichael given a chance with us. Really good player. Always rated the boy.

I'd bet my last penny that they are not the only two players we are looking at.

Ray_
10-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Neil Martin - Alloa to Queen of the South to Hibs, IIRC. Not a bad strike-rate.

Jim McArthur was a more than decent keeper - Cowdenbeath?

Gordon Durie did no bad either.

It used to be a bit of a market for the English teams as well, Tony Green, Ian Wallace and Tommy Hutchison spring to mind.

Mikey09
10-12-2014, 09:13 PM
I'd bet my last penny that they are not the only two players we are looking at.

I meant in the scottish lower leagues.... Maybe you did to. And before anyone says, I know danny plays for Queen of the South who are in our league... :thumbsup:

J-C
11-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Gordon Durie did no bad either.

It used to be a bit of a market for the English teams as well, Tony Green, Ian Wallace and Tommy Hutchison spring to mind.

Ian Wright was non league till he was 22 with Greenwich Borough

Septimus
11-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Did the great Gordon Smith not come directly from Dundee North End?