PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol re-introduced to Scottish football grounds?

08-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Apologies if there has already been a thread about this (I couldn't see one but feel free to merge if there is!) but just wondered what everyone thinks about the idea of re-introducing alcohol to Scottish football grounds? Just seen the news bulletin about it and how the police have been having a few informal discussions with the SFA about it.

Me personally I'd like it back. I know there are idiots out there who think they are big men after a few drinks and start acting like idiots but they are in the very small minority, most folk will just enjoy a drink or two with pals and cause absolutely no problems at all. It works down in England and Wales but as per usual our country's football fans have to suffer because of the actions of the OF.

Billy Whizz
08-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Not sure what the big deal is on this. You can go into the famous 5 and have a drink upto 3pm.
Who would want a beer at half time on a cold December day anyway?

Speedy
08-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Not sure what the big deal is on this. You can go into the famous 5 and have a drink upto 3pm.
Who would want a beer at half time on a cold December day anyway?

Some people would, some wouldn't.

You either treat people like responsible adults and give them that choice or you don't.

#FromTheCapital
08-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Bring it back. People get pished for the football regardless so an extra pint or two at half time isn't going to make much difference. If it works in England then there's absolutely no reason that it won't work up here.

Peevemor
08-12-2014, 03:47 PM
It's not really a case of "reintroducing" it though is it? As far as I know, alcohol was never sold in Scottish football grounds beside the pie stands (as happens in other countries).

I've been to matches in England where, for the novelty value, I've had a plastic bottle of luke warm lager while standing beside the bogs in the concourse. If it never happened again I wouldn't miss it to be honest.

I can understand folk wanting to eat or smoke at the ground, but I don't see the need for beer.

08-12-2014, 04:03 PM
There doesn't NEED to be alcohol in stadiums, I mean quite frankly if you can't go a couple of hours without a drink you probably need help! But its about treating supporters like adults not yobs that cant be trusted. Of course there are idiots that go to the football and clearly some folk can't have a drink without wanting to act like an idiot and make fools of themselves but as someone mentioned, if folk are wanting to get pished to go to the football they will do it regardless, a couple drinks inside the ground wont make much difference.

JimBHibees
08-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Sounds like it could be a good earner for clubs so why not.

ancient hibee
08-12-2014, 07:46 PM
It's not really a case of "reintroducing" it though is it? As far as I know, alcohol was never sold in Scottish football grounds beside the pie stands (as happens in other countries).

I've been to matches in England where, for the novelty value, I've had a plastic bottle of luke warm lager while standing beside the bogs in the concourse. If it never happened again I wouldn't miss it to be honest.

I can understand folk wanting to eat or smoke at the ground, but I don't see the need for beer.

This is correct.The fact that the usual suspects wanting to jump on the bandwagon in the press talk about "reintroducing"shows how little they know about the subject.I remember going to Highbury in the early 60s to see Arsenal v Leicester(Baker and Mcleod playing for Arsenal-Davie Gibson for Leicester-scorer for Arsenal-need you ask-but I digress) it was some experience taking the tube direct to the ground and then finding a bar about 100 feet long at the top of the terracing at the clock end.A wee bit different to ER when the Old Firm came and some of them could hardly walk for the amount of booze they were carrying into the ground.Various empties would then volley around-the heavy cans of those days were lethal-the good old days before segregation.
Having just brought in the new drink/drive limit I doubt this'll get off the ground.

Steve20
08-12-2014, 07:55 PM

I don't see why people can't go a couple of hours without a smoke.

HappyAsHellas
08-12-2014, 08:48 PM
We introduced the smoking at half time for fans who want to smoke and it looks to be pretty successful - people have a choice to partake or not. Always used to go for a few pints before the game, but gave that up by taking my daughter to the games and don't really miss it now. If someone wants a pint at half time then I'm all for letting them decide if they want it or not.

AgentDaleCooper
08-12-2014, 10:32 PM

because it's horrendously addictive?

plus, a lot of people smoke when stressed...we're hibs. go figure.

hibee
08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Doesn't interest me at all drinking at the game but also not bothered if others want a drink. I just don't see there being much profit in this for a club like Hibs once they've invested in the extra facilities, staff, security etc that would be required.

Diclonius
08-12-2014, 10:48 PM
I would be for reintroducing it on a trial basis, save for Old Firm derbies. The idiots would destroy the surrounding area.

Personally I don't drink before and wouldn't during games but I'm not bothered if other people want to.

Peevemor
08-12-2014, 11:03 PM

I like smoking and drinking - in fact there was a time when I was very good at it. I'm no longer up to my former high standards but I try to keep my hand in.

Out of consideration for my wife and kids I don't smoke in the house and given that I'm too lazy to keep nipping outside, I don't smoke very much at all at home.

However, watching matches from afar on Hibs TV (either that or some dodgy stream that's actually showing the game) I can guarantee that come half time I'll be desperate for a fag.

On the other hand, Hibs have yet to drive me to drink.