PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh City

Speedy
08-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Slightly related to the Spartans thread.

How big can they become? Currently top of the Lowland league, which could see them promoted to league 2.

Also in a 13k stadium in a big city. Can they do what Inverness and Ross County have done and rise through the leagues?

Islington Hibs
08-12-2014, 09:26 AM

How big can they become? Currently top of the Lowland league, which could see them promoted to league 2.

Also in a 13k stadium in a big city. Can they do what Inverness and Ross County have done and rise through the leagues?

There used to a team called Meadowbank I think that perhaps got 300 on a good Saturday. The truth is it takes generations to build up a support, and generations to lose it. I like to see all Edinburgh teams (apart from our friends in Gorgie) go well but they will never be more than a curiosity

Thecat23
08-12-2014, 09:28 AM
There used to a team called Meadowbank I think that perhaps got 300 on a good Saturday. The truth is it takes generations to build up a support, and generations to lose it. I like to see all Edinburgh teams (apart from our friends in Gorgie) go well but they will never be more than a curiosity

This, I can't see anyone supporting them over Hibs or Hearts. Sadly to many folk in Edinburgh follow the ugly sisters than the Edinburgh teams so Edinburgh City will only get fans when Hibs or Hearts play away and they want to take in a game!

Phil D. Rolls
08-12-2014, 10:05 AM
This, I can't see anyone supporting them over Hibs or Hearts. Sadly to many folk in Edinburgh follow the ugly sisters than the Edinburgh teams so Edinburgh City will only get fans when Hibs or Hearts play away and they want to take in a game!

Sadly for many people in Leith their team was killed off by the ugly sisters from Edinburgh. Leith Athletic were a well supported top flight team, too well supported for the big two.

I think if there is a team to look out for at present it's Spartans. They are slowly building up a support, they have good facilities, and the club appears to have a sound infrastructure. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that over 20 years or so they could see themselves on a footing with Hibs and Hearts.

I'm not saying that Spartans will be as big as Hibs and Hearts are now. Rather, that as the top teams head towards community ownership, and our league becomes more like - say - the League of Ireland, it will come down to Spartans level.

Consider Northern Ireland, what is the difference in support between Glentoran, and some of the "diddy" teams there? A pessimistic view, I agree, but there is nothing to suggest Scottish Football is doing anything to stop the slide.

dangermouse
08-12-2014, 10:16 AM
I watch City now and again and to be honest, although they sit top of the Lowland league I doubt they'll get promoted. I was at their game against their likely Highland league opposition for the play offs (Brora in the Scottish Cup) and they were completely out played. Unless they have a sudden influx of money and can bring in some good players, they and the rest of the Lowland league will remain where they are unfortunately. Even Spartans would struggle to get promoted at the moment.

Forza Fred
08-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Meadow bank were originally Ferranti Thistle, and later morphed into Livingston

Hermit Crab
08-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Meadow bank were originally Ferranti Thistle, and later morphed into Livingston

Im not sure but I think he may be being sarcastic in his post.

Green Man
08-12-2014, 11:39 AM
I watch City now and again and to be honest, although they sit top of the Lowland league I doubt they'll get promoted. I was at their game against their likely Highland league opposition for the play offs (Brora in the Scottish Cup) and they were completely out played. Unless they have a sudden influx of money and can bring in some good players, they and the rest of the Lowland league will remain where they are unfortunately. Even Spartans would struggle to get promoted at the moment.

Depends if Brora decide to enter the playoff or not - there have been suggestions that they'd rather stay in the Highland League.

Turkish Green
08-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Sadly for many people in Leith their team was killed off by the ugly sisters from Edinburgh. Leith Athletic were a well supported top flight team, too well supported for the big two.

I think if there is a team to look out for at present it's Spartans. They are slowly building up a support, they have good facilities, and the club appears to have a sound infrastructure. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that over 20 years or so they could see themselves on a footing with Hibs and Hearts.

I'm not saying that Spartans will be as big as Hibs and Hearts are now. Rather, that as the top teams head towards community ownership, and our league becomes more like - say - the League of Ireland, it will come down to Spartans level.

Consider Northern Ireland, what is the difference in support between Glentoran, and some of the "diddy" teams there? A pessimistic view, I agree, but there is nothing to suggest Scottish Football is doing anything to stop the slide.

Going by youth football standards the order of precedence in the city is:

Hutchison Vale
Tyncastle FC
Edinburgh City
The Spartans
Leith Athletic

City and Spartans are at the top of the Lowland League. The Spartans is the set-up that was expected to get promoted to the SPFL but it looks like City is walking away with the league this season.

Leith Ath and LTHV are currently at the top of the EOS Premier League. LTHV were champions last season. One of these teams is in the running to be elected to the Lowland league.

Football in the Lothians is currently thriving.

Godsahibby
08-12-2014, 01:04 PM
I was at the game v Brora a few weeks ago and if that it the standard I can't see them going far at all. Close game score wise in the end but you could see the difference in class between the two sides. The home support as well were no existant.

I was only at the game because my mate used to play for Brora and he fancied going along. He is from that neck of the woods oso knows quite a few people associated with the club. Dispite running away witht he Highland League, he had been told that Brora had no interest in joining the league. They had a consultation with their fans and would prefer to stay in the Highland League.

AndyM_1875
08-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I was at the game v Brora a few weeks ago and if that it the standard I can't see them going far at all. Close game score wise in the end but you could see the difference in class between the two sides. The home support as well were no existant.

I was only at the game because my mate used to play for Brora and he fancied going along. He is from that neck of the woods oso knows quite a few people associated with the club. Dispite running away witht he Highland League, he had been told that Brora had no interest in joining the league. They had a consultation with their fans and would prefer to stay in the Highland League.

Can't blame Brora if they pass on and entry to Division 2 as the travelling would absolutely ruin them financially.

CropleyWasGod
08-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Are they allowed to do that?

Please say Yes.

ekhibee
08-12-2014, 07:10 PM
I wondered if Clachnacuddin did the same as Brora? I thought they chose to remain in the Highland League rather than merge with Caledonian and Inverness Thistle and play in the Scottish Leagues, maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, I would be interested to know actually.

ancient hibee
08-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Edinburgh City could thrive.After all we know that Scotland is full of "investors"just waiting in the wings:greengrin

Greencore
08-12-2014, 08:05 PM

Also in a 13k stadium in a big city. Can they do what Inverness and Ross County have done and rise through the leagues? hope so, I have a soft spot for Spartans and Edinburgh city. It would be good for our city for them to do well.

Godsahibby
08-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Please say Yes.

Asked that myself, wasnt sure of the answer!

So what actually happens at the end of the season. Let's say Brora get promoted to the league. Does the team that finish bottom get relegated to the Highland league, or if it is Edinburgh City that go up do they get relegated to the Lowland league? Let's say Brora go up and Berwick finish bottom of the league, would they take their place in the Highland League?

Wakeyhibee
08-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Please say Yes.

I hope so too. I'm all for the pyramid system but there is little difference between the leagues and huge costs to incur by going into the national set up. Maybe league 2 should have been regionalised also

Sir David Gray
08-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Asked that myself, wasnt sure of the answer!

So what actually happens at the end of the season. Let's say Brora get promoted to the league. Does the team that finish bottom get relegated to the Highland league, or if it is Edinburgh City that go up do they get relegated to the Lowland league? Let's say Brora go up and Berwick finish bottom of the league, would they take their place in the Highland League?

The proposal is that the winners of the Highland League will play the winners of the Lowland League over two legs. The winner of that tie will then play the bottom team in League Two over two legs and if the bottom club in League Two loses then they'll be relegated to the division that their geographic location dictates.

Clearly if Elgin (currently bottom of League Two) happen to lose to Edinburgh City in the play offs then they're not going to be playing in the Lowland League next season.

Godsahibby
08-12-2014, 08:50 PM
The proposal is that the winners of the Highland League will play the winners of the Lowland League over two legs. The winner of that tie will then play the bottom team in League Two over two legs and if the bottom club in League Two loses then they'll be relegated to the division that their geographic location dictates.

Clearly if Elgin (currently bottom of League Two) happen to lose to Edinburgh City in the play offs then they're not going to be playing in the Lowland League next season.

That would make sense but wouldnt that mean an odd number of teams in one of the league?

Diclonius
08-12-2014, 10:53 PM
If Edinburgh City are promoted to the senior league then technically Hearts will no longer be our closest rivals.

Hibernia&Alba
09-12-2014, 12:31 AM
If Edinburgh City are promoted to the senior league then technically Hearts will no longer be our closest rivals.

Fiercest rivals. They're far too close for my liking. Can smell them when the wind blows west to east.

danhibees1875
09-12-2014, 12:32 AM
That would make sense but wouldnt that mean an odd number of teams in one of the league?

If it's anything like England then I think they just redraw the boundary for which league you play in to keep numbers constant. This presumably leads to a team right in the middle that hops between set-ups as teams get promoted/relegated from North/South. :greengrin

LancsHibs
09-12-2014, 09:21 AM
If it's anything like England then I think they just redraw the boundary for which league you play in to keep numbers constant. This presumably leads to a team right in the middle that hops between set-ups as teams get promoted/relegated from North/South. :greengrin

Correct, teams like Gloucester are sometimes in the Conference North and then South depending who gets relegated. Not ideal especially for clubs effected but it's the only way to administer a regional system into a national one.

Godsahibby
09-12-2014, 12:29 PM

The problem we have in Scotland is that unless St Johnstone there's not many teams in the middle!