PDA

View Full Version : Referees

Godsahibby
06-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Watching match of the day and the so call 'best league in the world'. People give the referees a hard time in Scotland for their decisions but here is a league with officials who are full time who make some shocking decisions. Is it an issue with the quality of the referees or has the game become to difficult to officiate by one man? The game has got far quicker than it ever was with players fitter and moving more and others who's goal it is to cheat their way through a game.

HoboHarry
07-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Watching match of the day and the so call 'best league in the world'. People give the referees a hard time in Scotland for their decisions but here is a league with officials who are full time who make some shocking decisions. Is it an issue with the quality of the referees or has the game become to difficult to officiate by one man? The game has got far quicker than it ever was with players fitter and moving more and others who's goal it is to cheat their way through a game.
I don't think that it's very different to what it has always been.

One exception at the top level is the cheating by players of course and it's not longer a "foreign" problem. British born players are just as bad at times. The game may be faster now but the referees are fitter too - the referees at the top level are committed to improving their own fitness levels. The fans who yearn for the old days of Tiny Wharton and the like - he wouldn't last 2 games in the modern game with the level of mobility which was kind of his trademark.

In terms of the mistakes made by referees - twas ever thus, the major difference is that we are all correct bar the referee once we have seen the incident 6 different times from different angles. It does aggravate me listening to people like Trevor Francis who needs to see an incident 4 times before declaring that the referee made a hash of it. God only knows why the TV companies see his views as enhancing their product. The problem as I see it is not the mistakes which are made during the game - it's the rush to claim that the match result is down to an individual error and nothing else. How often have a you heard a manager say the the denial of a penalty cost them two points? No mention that his strike force couldn't score in a broth*l.......

Referees are in my opinion, simple easy targets for the beaten team - managers certainly are in no rush to criticize when their team wins.

Having said all that I do think that Craig Thomson is useless.....:agree: