PDA

View Full Version : Are we really improving?

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Results would suggest not really, style probably a yes but overall are things any better than say under Fenlon?

Ozyhibby
06-12-2014, 09:25 PM
No

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 09:26 PM
No

Give reasons why you think like this?

Swedish hibee
06-12-2014, 09:27 PM
No

Knew you'd be on here after a defeat. Welcome back!

Danderhall Hibs
06-12-2014, 09:28 PM
A bit easier on the eye. At times though it's like watching butchers team - a bit toothless when it comes to scoring.

Hard to compare results though given the difference in quality of opposition.

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Knew you'd be on here after a defeat. Welcome back!

Never been away, so stick your sarcastic words up your.............

lord bunberry
06-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Results would suggest not really, style probably a yes but overall are things any better than say under Fenlon?

We're better than we were under Butcher so we're improving, progress is slow though.

CallumLaidlaw
06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Yes we are. Inconsistent maybe but we didn't have any match winners in our team before. We now do in allan, Mcgeoch, Malonga. Stevenson has improved and we have an excellent attacking full back in Gray. I think we are lacking in depth Tho, as today showed. So hopefully we address that in Jan.

CallumLaidlaw
06-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Never been away, so stick your sarcastic words up your.............

Don't think that was aimed at you BH.

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 09:36 PM

Aye you are right, sorry.

Pete
06-12-2014, 09:42 PM

I think we have improved from Fenlons days but it's hard to judge as we're in different leagues.

How do you think Pats team would have managed against teams sitting back and parking the bus? We barely crossed the halfway line against open teams in the top league.

Hibernia&Alba
06-12-2014, 09:44 PM
I think we're improving, certainly since the Butcher farce, though it isn't smooth progress. There's good work going on behind the scenes too. It's two steps forward, one step back, certainly.

SneakersO'Toole
06-12-2014, 09:47 PM
We are. But far too slowly for my liking and for what we as fans can reasonably expect.

rcarter1
06-12-2014, 09:48 PM
With no injuries and suspensions, I would say we are vastly improved. But there is still a lot of weakness throughout the squad. Look forward to a couple of additions in January, and aim for a strong finish.

Ozyhibby
06-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Still applies. Thank you BH

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 09:52 PM
I think we have improved from Fenlons days but it's hard to judge as we're in different leagues.

How do you think Pats team would have managed against teams sitting back and parking the bus? We barely crossed the halfway line against open teams in the top league.

I think we'd be decidedly average if Fenlon was still in charge, as you say its hard to judge?

JimBHibees
06-12-2014, 09:59 PM
I think the quality of play is night and day to be honest. A bit of understanding needs to be given to a new management team however we are missing 3 or 4 key players and it shows as some not capable of stepping up IMO.

emerald green
06-12-2014, 10:00 PM
I honestly am not trying to be deliberately negative here, so here goes.

Hibs are improving, but it has to be seen in the context that the football and results simply could not have got any worse than under the leadership of Butcher & Malpas last season, otherwise this club would be heading for a second consecutive relegation.

Alan Stubbs and his team have been left with a massive task of trying to repair the damage caused by his predecessors, and the way the club has been allowed to sink into mediocrity for years. He appears to be working hard with the resources at his disposal and has brought in some good players to the club - e.g. Allan, McGeoch, El Alagui.

Any improvement has been gradual, but not quick enough. Certainly not enough to get promotion in one season. Actually winning this crap league is just a pipe dream after today's results.

Bostonhibby
06-12-2014, 10:13 PM
I'd say the style of play is better, but last season I used to wonder if we would manage a win against the likes of Ross County, St Mirren, Partick etc and if we got any kind of result I saw it as a bonus whereas years ago we'd more often than not beat them.

This season, if I am being honest I have the same feeling but its about whether we will get anything from Alloa, QOS, Raith, Falkirk and the like so I guess I still don't have confidence in the team that they will go out and regularly beat teams in a lower division so whilst there's a feeling that things could and should turn I can't say it translates itself to improved results / standing in the league we are in.

HappyAsHellas
06-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Some of the football we have played this season has been great to watch, so in that sense it's a definite improvement although the results don't always bear this out. We lack depth of squad, but given the circumstances AS found himself in, I'm not overly surprised. We need to strengthen the squad in January to kick on and realise the potential that is there - we're only 3 or 4 players short of a really good team, and I can't remember the last time that was the case.
In short, it's better, but more improvements needed.

silverhibee
06-12-2014, 10:24 PM

It really is hard to tell BH :rolleyes:, we are sitting 4th in this league, the yams who are 19 points in front of us came down from the same league as us, not forgetting the other team above us, The Rangers were only promoted in to this league this season and sit 12 points in front of us and then QOTS 3 points in front of us as well, we then have teams like Falkirk Raith and Dumbarton just below us with Dumbarton furthest behind us but it is only 6 points in it between us and them, take out QOTS and we are closer to the teams below us than the teams above us, no doubts about it Hibernian FC should be up there challenging the big and wee huns no matter what, but we ain't and it is simply not acceptable for a club of our size.

So for me we are not improving, we have two or three better players in the team but it is still not enough to compete in this league, no matter what start we had to the season we should never be out of the running for winning this league in early December, it is simply not good enough, yes we have been unlucky with injuries but that happens to all the clubs in this league, even the teams above us have had injury problems but they have seemed to manage ok when players are out and the players that come in for they clubs make a impression when they get a chance, ours don't.

Our Owner needs to dig deep if he doesn't want to sell the club and back his manager with some serious dosh to bring in more quality :wink: in January so that we can secure a play-off spot in this league.

Sir David Gray
06-12-2014, 10:25 PM
I honestly am not trying to be deliberately negative here, so here goes.

Hibs are improving, but it has to be seen in the context that the football and results simply could not have got any worse than under the leadership of Butcher & Malpas last season, otherwise this club would be heading for a second consecutive relegation.

Alan Stubbs and his team have been left with a massive task of trying to repair the damage caused by his predecessors, and the way the club has been allowed to sink into mediocrity for years. He appears to be working hard with the resources at his disposal and has brought in some good players to the club - e.g. Allan, McGeoch, El Alagui.

Any improvement has been gradual, but not quick enough. Certainly not enough to get promotion in one season. Actually winning this crap league is just a pipe dream after today's results.

:agree: When the likes of Allan, McGeouch, Gray, Malonga and El Alagui have all been playing at the top of their game, we're as good as anyone in this division.

Unfortunately, mainly due to injuries and suspensions, this hasn't been possible for large parts of the season so far and our back up players aren't good enough to step in and replace these guys and put in a similar shift which will see us win games.

As you have suggested, we pretty much hit rock bottom during the latter part of last season and it would have been very difficult for results or performances to have got any worse or for morale to have gone any lower.

I'm still hopeful that we can do something in the play offs if those players mentioned above are all fit and available and playing at their top level by the time we get to that part of the season.

We're talking about probably playing against Queen of the South (who we should be looking to beat over two legs), Sevco (who I think we can beat over two legs if we play like we are capable of) and then potentially either Ross County or St Mirren who are both low on confidence and would be in the same position that we were in last year.

It's a long shot at this stage but I wouldn't dismiss the idea of getting up through the play offs just yet.

Bobby's Cinema
06-12-2014, 10:33 PM
The question is, how can two sides going through administration other crippling financial turmoil be any better equipped to win this league than us?

If they answer is that they are not, then what's our excuse? ffs

The style is undoubtedly an improvement, but patchy as soon as we loose even one or two players. Results are not good enough.

emerald green
06-12-2014, 10:35 PM
:agree: When the likes of Allan, McGeouch, Gray, Malonga and El Alagui have all been playing at the top of their game, we're as good as anyone in this division.

Unfortunately, mainly due to injuries and suspensions, this hasn't been possible for large parts of the season so far and our back up players aren't good enough to step in and replace these guys and put in a similar shift which will see us win games.

As you have suggested, we pretty much hit rock bottom during the latter part of last season and it would have been very difficult for results or performances to have got any worse or for morale to have gone any lower.

I'm still hopeful that we can do something in the play offs if those players mentioned above are all fit and available and playing at their top level by the time we get to that part of the season.

We're talking about probably playing against Queen of the South (who we should be looking to beat over two legs), Sevco (who I think we can beat over two legs if we play like we are capable of) and then potentially either Ross County or St Mirren who are both low on confidence and would be in the same position that we were in last year.

It's a long shot at this stage but I wouldn't dismiss the idea of getting up through the play offs just yet.

:agree: Sure Trig, I agree, and I am definitely not dismissing the idea of promotion through the play-offs. I've reached the stage where I'm just hoping for the best. However, as I posted earlier on another thread I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Del Boy
06-12-2014, 10:38 PM
I actually think the players we have signed have improved us - Allan, Gray, mcgeouch, malonga. The disappointment for me is the young guys have been disappointing, expected Cummings, Stanton and Handling to be better than what they have been against pretty poor opposition.

BoltonHibee
06-12-2014, 11:16 PM
4th in the championship? Have we improved? What a stupid question [emoji3][emoji3]

jacomo
06-12-2014, 11:17 PM
I think the quality of play is night and day to be honest. A bit of understanding needs to be given to a new management team however we are missing 3 or 4 key players and it shows as some not capable of stepping up IMO.

:agree:

Bad run with injuries, without a doubt. AS needs a break here. With a deeper squad I think this team would be flying. We've got a manager here.

sesoim
06-12-2014, 11:38 PM
4th in the championship? Have we improved? What a stupid question [emoji3][emoji3]

:agree: Exactly. We are 4th in a LOWER league than we were in last season. We should at least be in 3rd place, a few points clear of the other seven by now. Progress has ground to a halt, only Malonga looks capable of even getting into double figures in terms of league goals.

Surely the multitude of coaches Stubbs has brought in should be getting more out of the players by now?

HFC 0-7
06-12-2014, 11:40 PM
:agree:

Bad run with injuries, without a doubt. AS needs a break here. With a deeper squad I think this team would be flying. We've got a manager here.

Is what you are saying then, if we had better players we would be better? Could any team in the league not say exactly the same thing?

lord bunberry
07-12-2014, 12:07 AM

We're better than we were under Butcher so we're improving, progress is slow though.

MrSmith
07-12-2014, 12:18 AM
No we are not improving. The context is division 1, we are nowhere near promotion and all these better players, in context, how would they perform in the premier league?

No harm to Stubbs because it is quite clear he is determined and really trying. However, we should be clear out in front with promotion on not fourth in division one! FFs even that position is precarious right now.

So, I'm a bedwetter and whatever else to call me, I don't effin care! We are pants and a huge change is required. I've lost patience and am not interested in development or another transition period, waited nearly 8 ****** years thus far for change, no more!

Cameron1875
07-12-2014, 01:40 AM
"Always the same posters"
"knew a defeat would bring you here"
"We had a decent unbeaten run"

These type of posters need to get a grip of themselves. We're bang average in an awful division.

Why is it such a bad thing to be annoyed? :confused:

Forza Fred
07-12-2014, 04:21 AM
We probably are improving compared to what we suffered under Butcher, but there is no doubt in my mind that we would not have got relegated under Fenlon.

Problem is for many, myself included, we haven't improved enough and quickly enough.

I guess it's all down to expectations, and most would have expected us by this point to be certainties for the play offs with even an outside chance of winning the league.

Instead we are not certainties for the play offs, and have zero chance of winning the league.

My fear is that we may well be improving in an esoteric sense, but results mean we may be stuck in this division for years.

Allan45
07-12-2014, 10:09 AM
We have improved quite a bit since last season.
the loss yesterday was bad, as we could have done with a point, but that's what happens.
we had a good run, playing good football for most games.
2 of our main strikers injured or suspended.

I'm hoping we get 2 or 3 players to strengthen our squad.
it will be a roller coaster season, but no way going to win the league.
we are better than Queens and the Gers.
Let's get at least 3 more wins before the derby.

we will improve after Christmas.
:flag:

HH81
07-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Have we actual improved or are we playing worse teams?

Where would we be in the top league?

Scottie
07-12-2014, 10:52 AM
No we are not improving. The context is division 1, we are nowhere near promotion and all these better players, in context, how would they perform in the premier league?

No harm to Stubbs because it is quite clear he is determined and really trying. However, we should be clear out in front with promotion on not fourth in division one! FFs even that position is precarious right now.

So, I'm a bedwetter and whatever else to call me, I don't effin care! We are pants and a huge change is required. I've lost patience and am not interested in development or another transition period, waited nearly 8 ****** years thus far for change, no more!

"Always the same posters"
"knew a defeat would bring you here"
"We had a decent unbeaten run"

These type of posters need to get a grip of themselves. We're bang average in an awful division.

Why is it such a bad thing to be annoyed? :confused:
Two great posts that I 100% agree with unfortunately :aok:

Borderhibbie76
07-12-2014, 11:04 AM
With no injuries and suspensions, I would say we are vastly improved. But there is still a lot of weakness throughout the squad. Look forward to a couple of additions in January, and aim for a strong finish.
Just posted this on matchday thread, our starting 11 with everyone fit imo is best in this league but on days like yesterday with 5 or 6 missing we are nowhere near good enough. Handling after a good match last week was back to his woeful best yesterday, Stanton got his chance and done zip, same as Heffernan who is finished. Then we come to likes of Harris who also needs punting imo... We need 3 or 4 quality additions in Jan which i think stubbsy realises...

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Just posted this on matchday thread, our starting 11 with everyone fit imo is best in this league but on days like yesterday with 5 or 6 missing we are nowhere near good enough. Handling after a good match last week was back to his woeful best yesterday, Stanton got his chance and done zip, same as Heffernan who is finished. Then we come to likes of Harris who also needs punting imo... We need 3 or 4 quality additions in Jan which i think stubbsy realises...

That's something we have been saying for a number of seasons.

Onion
07-12-2014, 11:21 AM
IMHO many Hibs fans have dismissed the shattering impact that last season (and relegation) has had on the club. ANY club who went through what we did would struggle.

This season was always likely to be about rebuilding confidence and winning games again. Just because we're in a lower league doesn't make that easy. We carry the pressure of promotion and up against teams who are highly motivated to beat us and better prepared. Hearts and Newco were streets ahead of us in their prep, for good reason.

If we can get into the playoffs, no one will fancy playing us.

H18S NX
07-12-2014, 11:37 AM
The style of play is slightly better,but,we are in a lower league against some part time teams and i can honestly say there has not been a time where i have been even remotely confident on Hibs winning a game,imho of course.

emerald green
07-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Can any Hibs supporter, in all honesty, say they were completely surprised by the result yesterday?

Not just the result, but the way it panned out? i.e. a chance to improve our league position, put some distance between ourselves and Falkirk etc, the resulting poor overall team performance, and the loss of at least another point by chucking it away in time added on, yet again?

To me, this sort of result has become all too depressingly familiar. Not just yesterday, but for years now.

And yes, I'm aware Hibs have been on a decent unbeaten run recently, albeit that run included several draws which ultimately are not what's needed to win this league, or any league for that matter.

Dinkydoo
07-12-2014, 11:59 AM
I think some context is required. Yes, we are in a lower division but where does everyone think we'd be with Butcher still in charge right now? Bottom 3 I'd guess. Add to that we have the following injuries/suspensions:

Forster
Craig
McGeough
El Alagui
Malonga

Arguably, the players most likely to create a chance or score a goal. Yes, even Craig of late.

Am I happy with losing to Falkirk or Queens? Absolutely not, but I understand that missing some of your best players is always going to be problematic.

B.H.F.C
07-12-2014, 12:08 PM
I'll believe we are really improving when we are consistently winning games. A run of 12 games without losing is all fine and well but there was that many draws in there that we only succeeded in falling further behind the leaders.

It's more pleasing on the eye but it's hard to feel like we are improving when we are closer to the bottom of the league than the top in December.

ronaldo7
07-12-2014, 12:18 PM
The squad's not big enough or has enough quality. If we lose a player whose been a regular in the side we then struggle to maintain our form. Take out Gray, Malonga, Farid, or McGeogh, and we don't have the players to replace them.

We are powder puff in defence with two central defenders.

If we get all our players back and fit, then we would give anyone in this league a game, however it's a long season with guys being injured and suspensions kicking in.

We'll probably make the play offs, but we need to strengthen in January to ensure we do.

PeeJay
07-12-2014, 12:44 PM

Seems obvious to me that that answer has to be no. We are in a lower league, consisting of opposing players generally of a lower standard than the SPFL premier league, yet as a team we are still unable to create proper chances, score goals, stop goals from being scored through poor defending, and we are simply not doing the business and collecting enough points to get promotion. Now, the "play-off" position, which had to be the least of our targets, has since become probably the only one we can still hope to achieve ... our league standing and the gap to the two front teams suggest that Stubbs is well out of his depth, even at this low level, his failure to compete with these teams is inexcusable. IMO, people saying we are improving should waken up. just take a look at the league table ... everything you need to know is there in B&W.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Seems obvious to me that that answer has to be no. We are in a lower league, consisting of opposing players generally of a lower standard than the SPFL premier league, yet as a team we are still unable to create proper chances, score goals, stop goals from being scored through poor defending, and we are simply not doing the business and collecting enough points to get promotion. Now, the "play-off" position, which had to be the least of our targets, has since become probably the only one we can still hope to achieve ... our league standing and the gap to the two front teams suggest that Stubbs is well out of his depth, even at this low level, his failure to compete with these teams is inexcusable. IMO, people saying we are improving should waken up. just take a look at the league table ... everything you need to know is there in B&W.

Have one of these. :tin hat:

Long suffering
07-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Are we improving since Fenlon? As stated its a hard one to judge...
If you look at the team 1-11 I would say yes, we have greater versatility in the middle of the park, fenlon's quartet of holding midfielders have been replaced with far greater dynamism in mcgeouch and allan, gray and stevenson have the ideal mix of overlapping and remaining solid defensively while malongas been a very good if frustrating addition, 1-11 we're more than a match for rangers and hearts and wev'e proved it but, what weve also proved is our squad is far too thin: take malonga out and we struggle, take allan out we lack creativity.... I think we are on an upward spiral yet from how low we sank under Butcher and the fact we're against some very obviously part time teams in cowdenbeath dumbarton etc an improvement would not be hard.... From his promising signings though, I have hope/faith in Stubbs, a few January additions, Farid back and we should comfortably secure 3rd anyway. :flag:

Sudds_1
07-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Yes we are. Inconsistent maybe but we didn't have any match winners in our team before. We now do in allan, Mcgeoch, Malonga. Stevenson has improved and we have an excellent attacking full back in Gray. I think we are lacking in depth Tho, as today showed. So hopefully we address that in Jan.

Can't argue with much of that........Hibs are "..work in progress" After years of neglect and bad management that is bound to take more time than even most optimistic of us would think. More depth needed with some additional quality up front. But then Rome wasn't built in a day.

For me the main difference is a real sense that there is now a clear plan in place with people who understand what this club means to the support and have the commitment and passion to deliver.........

.......couldn't say that before.

greenlex
07-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Only a fool would say no.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
07-12-2014, 03:37 PM
The thing that annoys me is that our performances in the big games have been very good showing application, effort and determination. However we don't always show up in the less glamorous encounters like the Alloa defeat after the great come back vs Dumbarton in the cup or vs Raith after the win against the Huns.

Some have pointed out that Hertz/Huns leave space for us to play in and we struggle against the smaller clubs who shut up shop, but that only holds so much sway. I'm disappointed that we do not take the game to these teams in the way that Hertz evidently are (judging by what I've seen of them on TV and chatting with Jambo mates).

Seems to be either a lack of self belief or an acceptance within the playing and coaching staff that this is acceptable.

Lago
07-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Uninspiring, unconvincing, lacking excitement and in alower league. Not improving.

smurf
07-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Not enough.

Baader
07-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes but at a very slow pace. It's criminal what has been allowed to happen to this club the past 5,6,7 years and will take a good while to right.

The fact we have not yet won back to back games in this league is hugely disappointing.

Bishop Hibee
07-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Our first XI is better than under Fenlon. Griffiths made that team better than it was. As others have said, we have no strength in depth though.

Swedish hibee
07-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Aye you are right, sorry.

Apology accepted. And the poster was right- my dig wasn't certainly at you.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Apology accepted. And the poster was right- my dig wasn't certainly at you.

:aok::aok:

Jim44
07-12-2014, 11:31 PM
We are improving very slowly. If we can maintain this and add a few decent players in January and summer, we could have a team which might get promotion next season.

Mikey09
07-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Stubbs is on record saying he and his staff had 6 weeks to put together a squad after Butchers farce. Hearts have had the best part of a year to prepare for this campaign. He also states he will strengthen in January so I would say we are improving. It isn't just the playing side he has been addressing which is common knowledge. Improvement? Yes. Not as quickly as everyone wished for but defiantly heading in the right direction for me.....

The Green Goblin
07-12-2014, 11:54 PM
We are improving very slowly. If we can maintain this and add a few decent players in January and summer, we could have a team which might get promotion next season.

I agree. This (unfortunately) is realistic, and based on the way the season has gone so far, it looks like being the way things will likely pan out. There's still an outside chance of promotion this year though, but the team/squad needs a fair bit of strengthening to have a decent shot at it.

heretoday
08-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Just about sums it up.

Ozyhibby
08-12-2014, 10:24 AM
I agree. This (unfortunately) is realistic, and based on the way the season has gone so far, it looks like being the way things will likely pan out. There's still an outside chance of promotion this year though, but the team/squad needs a fair bit of strengthening to have a decent shot at it.

Improvement next year will be difficult if we don't go up. Season ticket numbers will drop substantially. The playing budget was already cut for this season so it's likely to be cut again for next season. Promotion next season would not be a gimme.

Phil MaGlass
08-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Are we rally any better than what we were under Butcher, were playing lower league teams ffs? I reckon the team we had last year could beat the teams were playing this year. Stubbs has not had the time to build a team but what I am really worried about is the striking threat we have is non existant, how can that be,as I have said were playing lower division teams and still no goal threat.
I will be at Alloa game on saturday, cant say I am looking forward to it, but its in the blood eh...

patlowe
08-12-2014, 01:47 PM
How much things have improved since last season is pretty difficult to quantify in the circumstances but you have to look at the bigger picture. You just can't review Stubbs in the same way you would most new managers at a club as he started from a position of absolute rock bottom for this club - an absolute shambles on and off the park. That cannot be underestimated for me. For whatever reason, and there are quite a few people to blame for this, Stubbs never had a hope of hell of coming in and building a squad in six weeks to challenge Hearts this season.

I've been left frustrated by results, who wouldn't be? However, I would say a huge amount of progress has been made by the club as a whole since Stubbs (and his staff) came in. For a start, the performances against Hearts and Dundee Utd (however disappointing the end results were) were from a different planet to what we were used to under Fenlon, Butcher and Calderwood, maybe even further back.

I am happy to let this play out.

GreenPJ
08-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Our slow start to the season and the Yams great start to the season probably meant that winning the league was always going to be almost impossible before Saturday's result. It suggests to me that we are still very much a work in progress and will still be prone to a slip or two the position we are in now but we have some important players coming back after New Year and hopefully a signing or two and you want the momentum and confidence at the end of the season. I would rather have a few blips now and then try and get consistency and confidence in March/April when we really need it.

jacomo
08-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Our slow start to the season and the Yams great start to the season probably meant that winning the league was always going to be almost impossible before Saturday's result. It suggests to me that we are still very much a work in progress and will still be prone to a slip or two the position we are in now but we have some important players coming back after New Year and hopefully a signing or two and you want the momentum and confidence at the end of the season. I would rather have a few blips now and then try and get consistency and confidence in March/April when we really need it.

True. Would be a welcome reversal of the customary post New Year slump.

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2014, 06:56 PM

To be fair that's what we all have to cling onto now. :agree:

silverhibee
08-12-2014, 10:53 PM
To be fair that's what we all have to cling onto now. :agree:

I'm thinking back to last season and i was going to all the games after the split and each game saying to mates, "we just need to win this game or take a point and we will be safe" as the games went by you just new it wasn't going to happen, away at Ross Count that night after the game and looking at the players you new we were going in to the play-offs' my worry is BH that come the end of the season over the last few we have been really poor and will this end to the season be any different.

FFS it is a must win at home to f***ing part time Alloa this weekend, how sad eh.

QOTS could easily get 3 points on Friday against the huns to pull away from us in the league so we need to beat Alloa, and the other games on the Saturday, if Falkirk win and we lose then they go above us, I'm not being negative as i think/hope we will beat Alloa at the weekend, but just pointing out how much of a important game this is for us and we need to win it, and it's poxy part time Alloa who have done not to bad against us this season and they are getting a few of there injured players back for this game.

Time to break the duck at ER and produce a win on Saturday, nothing else is acceptable.

Ronniekirk
08-12-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm thinking back to last season and i was going to all the games after the split and each game saying to mates, "we just need to win this game or take a point and we will be safe" as the games went by you just new it wasn't going to happen, away at Ross Count that night after the game and looking at the players you new we were going in to the play-offs' my worry is BH that come the end of the season over the last few we have been really poor and will this end to the season be any different.

FFS it is a must win at home to f***ing part time Alloa this weekend, how sad eh.

QOTS could easily get 3 points on Friday against the huns to pull away from us in the league so we need to beat Alloa, and the other games on the Saturday, if Falkirk win and we lose then they go above us, I'm not being negative as i think/hope we will beat Alloa at the weekend, but just pointing out how much of a important game this is for us and we need to win it, and it's poxy part time Alloa who have done not to bad against us this season and they are getting a few of there injured players back for this game.

Time to break the duck at ER and produce a win on Saturday, nothing else is acceptable.

Agree with your last sentence Silver If we can't start winning regularly at home then we are not going to get into third and move comfortably away from Q of the S and Falkirk

The Green Goblin
08-12-2014, 11:28 PM

This is spot on (unfortunately) and realistic, rational and exactly where we find ourselves. What I just can't understand at all, is this growing tendency from some posters to ridicule, mock and criticise posters like yourself for posting such concerns as being "bedwetting", "ott" and so on. I find it bizarre that some people are more concerned with having a go at other Hibs fans for being worried about the situation you described perfectly in your post than the fact that we are struggling to maintain a consistent and winning challenge in the championship. I don't get that at all.

jacomo
08-12-2014, 11:55 PM
This is spot on (unfortunately) and realistic, rational and exactly where we find ourselves. What I just can't understand at all, is this growing tendency from some posters to ridicule, mock and criticise posters like yourself for posting such concerns as being "bedwetting", "ott" and so on. I find it bizarre that some people are more concerned with having a go at other Hibs fans for being worried about the situation you described perfectly in your post than the fact that we are struggling to maintain a consistent and winning challenge in the championship. I don't get that at all.

:hijack:

Just let it go. Back to the football.

Stubbs has got it IMO. Finally a manager to have a bit of faith in, rather than just hoping for the best. He's been dealt the worst hand of any of his recent predecessors, and he's dealing with it pretty well.

Our slow start to the season has cost us though.

silverhibee
09-12-2014, 12:06 AM

There is now only two play off spots left now, either The Rangers or hertz will win the league and the other will come 2nd, the last thing we need is QOTS to make a gap between us and the other 3 teams fighting for that 4th place play off spot, we are now the scalp to take from clubs around us, these clubs no we are unstable and will put more pressure on us to get the win when they play us, Tom English was right to say that we are not certs to get a play off spot, this is a tough tight league, we need to start upping our game at ER and start winning games, it is as simple as that, we find our self's in a position that we worry about part time or full time clubs from the Championship League coming to ER and sitting in and hoping to counter attack us when the chance arises, and they do arise and the luck we have it normally results in a silly goal for the opposition.

A start would be getting 3 points on Saturday to keep us up there, as i said in my previous post, nothing else is acceptable.

Turkish Green
09-12-2014, 12:54 AM
Inconsistency due to new players, injuries and suspensions.

We are currently sitting 4th in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, so certainly no improvement.

The Green Goblin
09-12-2014, 12:56 AM
:hijack:

Just let it go. Back to the football.

Stubbs has got it IMO. Finally a manager to have a bit of faith in, rather than just hoping for the best. He's been dealt the worst hand of any of his recent predecessors, and he's dealing with it pretty well.

Our slow start to the season has cost us though.

I thought my post was fair comment, given the thread title. It's not directly about the football, but I really don't think it was "hijacking" either.

Agree about Stubbs as manager and the slow start. Ideally one or two additions to the squad in January will help, preferably more. I fear for us if we are stuck in the championship for another season. Fingers crossed we get out this year, but I agree with Silver: finishing top 4 is looking shaky at this point unless we really start notching up wins and put a bit of distance between ourselves and one or two others.

Turkish Green
09-12-2014, 01:08 AM
I have been of the opinion since the start of the season that it was going to be a Play-off place come the end of the season, however, it is a bit concerning that there are 4 clubs in the running for two play-off places; QOTS, Falkirk, Raith and ourselves.

It could get even tighter if QOTS consolidate 3rd place and break away from the other 3 teams vying for the remaining 4th spot. Under such circumstances I worry that Hibs will not have the resolve to churn out enough wins and drop too many points from goalless draws.

3 pts against Alloa is a must. But AS has to come up with a plan to beat teams that put the shutters up.

jacomo
09-12-2014, 11:21 AM
I thought my post was fair comment, given the thread title. It's not directly about the football, but I really don't think it was "hijacking" either.

Agree about Stubbs as manager and the slow start. Ideally one or two additions to the squad in January will help, preferably more. I fear for us if we are stuck in the championship for another season. Fingers crossed we get out this year, but I agree with Silver: finishing top 4 is looking shaky at this point unless we really start notching up wins and put a bit of distance between ourselves and one or two others.

Fair enough, but posting about 'some fans' having a go at fellow Hibs fans is almost as destructive as having a go in the first place. I'm to blame as well... I've got dragged into a few rows on here recently and it's not helping the level of debate on here!

You're right to be worried about another year in this League - my view is that the club should be focusing on promotion above all else. I don't think that's the case.

allezsauzee
09-12-2014, 12:55 PM
We are definitely going the right way. Allan, Gray, McGeouch and Malonga are all good additions (in the case of Allan excellent). Oxley and Fontaine are decent players with experience who have added numerically to the squad where we we were short. I'm happy for us to add quality when it becomes available and for it to take another season or two before we have a squad of sufficient quality for us to be top 4 in the SPL consistently rather following the recent policy of signing a lot of cast offs in January and hope that it works out.

worcesterhibby
09-12-2014, 02:34 PM
before you can ask a question like "are we improving" you have to define which period we are referring to as apposed to what other period. Trying to compare the teams results to those of the team last year is like comparing apples and pears as we are in a different league, so it's hard but let's look at what we DO know.

For instance if you mean since the start of Alan Stubbs Tenure then the answer is most certainly yes we are improving and by using just about any measure.

First six games in the league under Stubbs we managed 6 points
last six games in the league under Stubbs we managed 11 points

First six games we conceded 9 goals
Last six games we conceded 6 goals

First six games we scored 7 goals
Last six games we scored 15 goals

Apart from the raw statistics I think the vast majority of fans would agree that the quality of football played has been much improved on the early season games.

But have we improved on last season ? well the only way to really judge that is to look at our record against Hearts, Rangers Ross County and Dundee Utd.

since the end of September are record against these bigger clubs is that we are unbeaten in 90 minutes of football. having comprehensively beaten rangers and Ross County, Had a win stolen from us by a flukey hearts pot shot and seen us perform brilliantly in a stunning 3-3 draw with SPL title contenders Dundee Utd. I can't imagine Butcher's team would have got anything from any of those games.

Incidentally between 23rd September and 28th November our record in all competitions (in 90 minutes) was:

Played 10, won 5, drawn 5

Strangely during that time you didn't post the question "Are we improving?" because it was obvious to everyone that of course we were. Instead you waited until we lost by a single goal in a scrappy away game to Falkirk.

However I still consider

Played 11, Won 5, Drawn 5, lost 1 to be pretty good progress by Alan Stubbs and his team.

YES WE REALLY ARE IMPROVING

GGTTH

silverhibee
13-12-2014, 12:49 AM

And now the gap is there, must win tomorrow. :aok: :agree:

Aldo
13-12-2014, 07:59 AM
And now the gap is there, must win tomorrow. :aok: :agree:

Indeed Silver!! A win at all costs IMHO.

heretoday
13-12-2014, 08:23 AM
We are improving but not enough. More good players are required.