PDA

View Full Version : Worst weather you've experienced at a match?

Hibernia&Alba
06-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Hibs or elsewhere. Arctic cold, monsoon rain, blizzards. It's that time of year again.

I remember a game at ER versus Aberdeen in a February around 2004 when I thought as going to die of cold. Couldn't feel my hands and feet. Don't know what the temperature was that day, but a match in Siberia couldn't have bee much colder.

Carheenlea
06-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Cowdenbeath a couple of weeks back was as bad as I can remember. Probably have experienced worse, but in this modern day of comfortable seats and covered spectating at most grounds, it was a particular jolt to the system.

SteveHFC
06-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Maribor Away. Those that were there ken the story.

SteveHFC
06-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Cowdenbeath a couple of weeks back was as bad as I can remember. Probably have experienced worse, but in this modern day of comfortable seats and covered spectating at most grounds, it was a particular jolt to the system.

Also this. We even left at half-time because of the rain and went back to the pub.

frazeHFC
06-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Also this. We even left at half-time because of the rain and went back to the pub.

We lasted 1 minute, but thankfully had free tickets in anyway. :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
06-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Yes, it was an unusual experience in modern football, and not one I'd like to repeat in the rain. It must be good on a sunny August afternoon though.

Sir David Gray
06-12-2014, 07:24 PM

It wasn't great that day but that was like sitting on a sun lounger in Tenerife in comparison with the weather during the pre-season friendly at Stark's Park a few years ago.

Ironically that was at the end of July, in the height of summer!

The rain that night was unbelievable and it was inevitable that it would be abandoned.

SteveHFC
06-12-2014, 07:25 PM
We lasted 1 minute, but thankfully had free tickets in anyway. :wink:

Everyone standing around us was wanting anyone to score so we could **** off back to the pub. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
06-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Of recent times, remember a game against St Johnstone at ER. It was a game when the refs went on strike, and we had a Maltese ref for the game. Think it was around the 2010
Snow and freezing conditions we had?

Bishop Hibee
06-12-2014, 07:27 PM
A few drownings in the old Gorgie Rd end at the piggery.

Also the 7-0 tonking by oldco. It was well below freezing and there was no hot water for hot drinks as the pipes had burst. A right bundle of laughs that game was :rolleyes:

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-12-2014, 07:37 PM
In fairly recent times, Cowdenbeath a few weeks ago was as wet and miserable as I can remember. Dunfermline away, the 2-3 game in January 2012 was bloody freezing.
The 0-0 St Johnstone game at ER a few Decembers ago was ridiculously cold. Also an absolutely chronic game of football! Had two English boys with me that day and could see them just looking at each other like 'what the actual **** are we doing here'. Brutal

Swedish hibee
06-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Why no summer football in Scotland? :confused:

Bronson
06-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Cowdenbeath for me. Torrential rain, how we lasted the 90 mins I'll never know.

Carheenlea
06-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Why no summer football in Scotland? :confused:

I refer you to post # 7..

Forza Fred
06-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Lots...

I remember one away game at Killie on 30 th December way back about 67 where we stood in a blizzard, hardly even able to pick out the players, and also at ER prior to even the shed being built where we asked to get out at half time cos we were so drookit.

I'm older and hopefully a bit wiser these days, but no much, but What we used to take for granted as 'spectator facilities ' in those days rightly wouldn't be tolerated, or certainly shouldn't be today.

Hibernia&Alba
06-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Lots...

I remember one away game at Killie on 30 th December way back about 67 where we stood in a blizzard, hardly even able to pick out the players, and also at ER prior to even the shed being built where we asked to get out at half time cos we were so drookit.

I'm older and hopefully a bit wiser these days, but no much, but What we used to take for granted as 'spectator facilities ' in those days rightly wouldn't be tolerated, or certainly shouldn't be today.

Aye, but that pre-global warming, and like my dad says, "we had proper winters and summers in the sixties" :-D

Stantons Angel
06-12-2014, 07:57 PM

That was the worst weather with no shelter on offer i have experienced at a football ground in years!

I still have the cold that getting soaked to the skin that day gave me!!

At least today we had a bit of shelter from the wind and rain. Cowdenbeath game was really a shock to the system and brought it down to exactly how far down relegation had brought us!!!

LancashireHibby
06-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Cowdenbeath the other week. My coat was still soaked when I stumbled through the door at 2.45am, and that was after getting to the game a few minutes before half time!

EskbankHibby
06-12-2014, 08:13 PM
It wasn't great that day but that was like sitting on a sun lounger in Tenerife in comparison with the weather during the pre-season friendly at Stark's Park a few years ago.

Ironically that was at the end of July, in the height of summer!

The rain that night was unbelievable and it was inevitable that it would be abandoned.

Starks Park that night was unreal, we were down 1-0 iirc and it was a damp night but the heavens opened and there was no way a game was being completed that night.

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Pah, slight drizzle.

AFKA5814_Hibs
06-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Cowdenbeath a few weeks back reminded me of so many away days from years gone by, pishing doon rain on open terracing. There was a New Years derby (Jan 2010?) when it was about -7 during the match, also the Matty Jack game against Dundee Utd in Dec 2000 was freezing that day.

Chuck Rhoades
06-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Killie away on a monday night 6-7 years ago is up there

sleeping giant
06-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Cup final v Killie.
I was down the front with the boy and the blizzard was blowing straight into us.
We were caked in snow and freezing.

DarrenSQH
06-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Aberdeen away a few years ago. Blizzard conditions on the way up and during the game. We won 2-0. It was around Xmas and I think yogi was in charge.

For cold it was an away night game at mcdiarmid park in about 2000 ish.

Worst Rain was cowden for me. Soaked.

SteveHFC
06-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Aberdeen away a few years ago. Blizzard conditions on the way up and during the game. We won 2-0. It was around Xmas and I think yogi was in charge.

For cold it was an away night game at mcdiarmid park in about 2000 ish.

Worst Rain was cowden for me. Soaked.

One of my favourite away days of all time

Chuck Rhoades
06-12-2014, 09:39 PM
One of my favourite away days of all time

Stokes with a brace?

Waxy
06-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Remember a game against Dundee mid eighties that got abandoned just before kickoff. Full crowd was in but there was a fog which just kept getting thicker and thicker till you could hardly see a few metres.much dissapointment.

Billy McKirdy
06-12-2014, 10:14 PM
The thunderstorm in the Intertoto cup against Vetra Vilinius (?), I think it was Rob Jones debut and the rain was heavy.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Stokes with a brace?

Yup. Sure we were sitting top of the league then. What a start to the season that was. Less said about Jan onwards the better.
Pittodrie in the winter is never nice!

Sir David Gray
06-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Yup. Sure we were sitting top of the league then. What a start to the season that was. Less said about Jan onwards the better.
Pittodrie in the winter is never nice!

Almost.

That win put us on 32 points after 16 matches and just five points behind Rangers.

In the remaining 22 games, we only managed a further 22 points.

DarrenSQH
06-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Almost.

That win put us on 32 points after 16 matches and just five points behind Rangers.

In the remaining 22 games, we only managed a further 22 points.

We played rangers the next week and scored after 12 seconds. Then it fell apart

Thecat23
06-12-2014, 11:14 PM
The coldest I've ever been was at a Scotland B match at ER. I think it was Jackson who scored a screamer that night as well. Anyway I honestly couldn't move my hands or feet and the guy along and down a row had a yellow Parker thing on. He pulled a cord and puff.. This Parker inflated into some sort of triangle mini tent. I was so jealous of it I felt like crying. I sat there just looking at wizbit for the rest of the match wondering how cosy he was.

Sir David Gray
06-12-2014, 11:19 PM
We played rangers the next week and scored after 12 seconds. Then it fell apart

That's right, I can vaguely remember that.

Stokes scored that goal too but we went on to lose 4-1.

We went on a wee run at the end of January 2010 as well, including a win at Parkhead, but the less said about our form from February-May the better.

Albion Hibs
06-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Either Cowdenbeath away when wotherspoon scored the winner, or aberdeen away 3/4 seasons ago, pretty sure it was a midweek game. Blizzard pre kick off and you could hardly see the lines on the pitch...not that I took my head out of my scarf for any more than 3 minutes at a time!!

SteveHFC
06-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Stokes with a brace?

Aye mate. Everything about that day was just perfect. Great atmosphere in the away end.

Hermit Crab
07-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Horrendous rain after a lovely afternoon in the square drinking. Soaked walking to and from the game.

SteveHFC
07-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Horrendous rain after a lovely afternoon in the square drinking. Soaked walking to and from the game.

Never been so soaked in my life after that night. You'll probably walked past me in Maribor mate as i had on the new home shirt with my name on the back. :greengrin

Forza Fred
07-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Aye, but that pre-global warming, and like my dad says, "we had proper winters and summers in the sixties" :-D

Aye.

In 67 I think summer fell on a Thursday that year :greengrin

Hermit Crab
07-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Never been so soaked in my life after that night. You'll probably walked past me in Maribor mate as i had on the new home shirt with my name on the back. :greengrin

You would have seen me. Had a green white and black Lacoste polo on. Also my big Hibs on tour flag was laid out in the square and then tied to the fence at the front of the terracing. Great trip!

SteveHFC
07-12-2014, 12:39 AM
You would have seen me. Had a green white and black Lacoste polo on. Also my big Hibs on tour flag was laid out in the square and then tied to the fence at the front of the terracing. Great trip!

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/72215_478052428898819_976301571_n.jpg?oh=02393e872 142c8bb555b6618dc05e676&oe=5513240C - I'm near top right of the picture. **** knows what i was doing at the time :faf:. Is that your flag at the front?

Cameron1875
07-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Rangers CIS cup in 04. Nearly had to leave the car at my Uncles in Livingston and watch it on Channel 5!

Thankfully got to Glasgow and one of best hibs atmospheres ever with only about 8k of us :thumbsup:

Hermit Crab
07-12-2014, 01:36 AM
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/72215_478052428898819_976301571_n.jpg?oh=02393e872 142c8bb555b6618dc05e676&oe=5513240C - I'm near top right of the picture. **** knows what i was doing at the time :faf:. Is that your flag at the front?

Yes that's my flag! Im in there somewhere around the centre nearer the back! Good find!!:thumbsup:

Sylar
07-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Alloa vs Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup a few years back. Didn't have a waterproof jacket or umbrella (!) and it hoyed down from start to finish, whilst we were standing behind the goals. Felt like I'd jumped into a pool.

St Johnstone vs Livingston, League Cup game in 2002. Was foggy right before kick-off but you could see the other stand behind the other goals. By half time you could see the half way line and with around 10 minutes left, you couldn't see the 6 yard line directly in front of you! Unsurprisingly, it was abandoned.

brianmc
07-12-2014, 08:42 AM
I've probably been colder and wetter at other games but the one ingrained in my mind for sheer misery was (unsurprisingly) against hertz. Standing in the old gorgie road end terracing getting drenched as husref musemic FFS scored the only goal of the game for yet another Derby defeat.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-12-2014, 09:04 AM
At Arbroath in the cup mid 70s just edges it from another cup tie at Kilbowie Park when we scored 5 against Clydebank.

Welder services required on both days :greengrin

HH81
07-12-2014, 09:10 AM
0-0 game in December 2010 or 11 v St J's at home.

It was freezing.

Hibee_Craig7062
07-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Something sticks in my head of unbareable cold at the old airdrie ground broomfield in the early 90's one time. Couldnt tel you exactly when it was but it sticks in my head as the coldest ive ever been at a game!

Also it was a pretty baltic night at the millenium derby if i remember right. Although funilly enough the singing and bouncing and the performance that night made it feel much warmer!!!!

O'Rourke3
07-12-2014, 09:52 AM
The one that comes to mind is a home game vs St Mirren arounf 90/91. Passing down and that hard cold wind blowing right through the old East terrace. Script written and Torfason netting an unlikely winner for them. I think we even let their fans in the old Enclosure it was so bad.

Hillsidehibby
07-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Frendly v Man Utd 1981 I think. The whole country was frozen and as we had undersoil heating Man Utd came up.

Absolutely Baltic. I only lasted till half time

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-12-2014, 10:34 AM

That would be mine too without giving it much thought.

As Trig says the pre-season game v Raith is right up there too, cannae really include it though as I ended up staying in the boozer.

Phil D. Rolls
07-12-2014, 11:06 AM
The coldest I've ever been was at a Scotland B match at ER. I think it was Jackson who scored a screamer that night as well. Anyway I honestly couldn't move my hands or feet and the guy along and down a row had a yellow Parker thing on. He pulled a cord and puff.. This Parker inflated into some sort of triangle mini tent. I was so jealous of it I felt like crying. I sat there just looking at wizbit for the rest of the match wondering how cosy he was.

I only know Parker for their excellent fountain pens. I must try out these jackets they are making now. Do they have furry collars like parkas? :whistle:

Thecat23
07-12-2014, 11:17 AM
I only know Parker for their excellent fountain pens. I must try out these jackets they are making now. Do they have furry collars like parkas? :whistle:

[emoji1] you knew what I meant smart ass [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil D. Rolls
07-12-2014, 11:21 AM
[emoji1] you knew what I meant smart ass [emoji16]

I did, I usually wear mine on my scoota. I am genuinely going to look for a coat like that at Great Outdoors, it sound ideal.

Thecat23
07-12-2014, 11:23 AM
I did, I usually wear mine on my scoota. I am genuinely going to look for a coat like that at Great Outdoors, it sound ideal.

Honest it really was something else! Few laughs when he pulled the cord but he looked very warm that's for sure.

Purehibee_MYB
07-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Of recent times, remember a game against St Johnstone at ER. It was a game when the refs went on strike, and we had a Maltese ref for the game. Think it was around the 2010
Snow and freezing conditions we had?

I remember this one. 0-0 dire game and i remember it was -12 degrees. What a barrel of laughs that was!

Hiber-nation
07-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Frendly v Man Utd 1981 I think. The whole country was frozen and as we had undersoil heating Man Utd came up.

Absolutely Baltic. I only lasted till half time

The whole terracing was covered in ice. Nae health and safety in these days! I think I only survived due to the 8 or so pints I had beforehand.

patch1875
07-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Stirling in the fog might as well no been there.

Pretty Boy
07-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Remember a game against Aberdeen when Mowbray was in charge. Think we got beat 3-0 or 3-1. It was freezing, coldest I have ever been at a football match. It must have been sub zero temperatures. I had to leave with about 10/15 minutes to go as I was shivering so much.

Real Emerald
07-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Remember a game against Dundee mid eighties that got abandoned just before kickoff. Full crowd was in but there was a fog which just kept getting thicker and thicker till you could hardly see a few metres.much dissapointment.

I remember that night too. They re-arranged the match and let everyone in for free and if my memory serves me right there was something like 15 to 20 thousand turned up for it.

Peevemor
07-12-2014, 12:49 PM
I remember that night too. They re-arranged the match and let everyone in for free and if my memory serves me right there was something like 15 to 20 thousand turned up for it.

Nope. There was a crowd of 8k for the rearranged match which Hibs won 3 or 4-0.

GordonR
07-12-2014, 01:12 PM
At Easter Road, vs Lithuanian side Vetra, managed by a certain Valdas Ivanauskas, in the old Intertoto Cup. It was Tony Mowbray's first game in charge, and the rain was torrential. I got soaked walking to the match - it was like standing under the shower with your clothes on, and I remember standing in the Cabbage & Ribs in a large puddle of water dripping off me - and the pitch was pretty much unplayable, it was so waterlogged. Ground staff came on before kick-off and at half time with large brushes to try and sweep the water away from the worst areas.

Match should never have been allowed to go ahead, but I don't think Vetra could afford to come back for a replay, so game on it was.

Hermit Crab
07-12-2014, 01:31 PM
At Easter Road, vs Lithuanian side Vetra, managed by a certain Valdas Ivanauskas, in the old Intertoto Cup. It was Tony Mowbray's first game in charge, and the rain was torrential. I got soaked walking to the match - it was like standing under the shower with your clothes on, and I remember standing in the Cabbage & Ribs in a large puddle of water dripping off me - and the pitch was pretty much unplayable, it was so waterlogged. Ground staff came on before kick-off and at half time with large brushes to try and sweep the water away from the worst areas.

Match should never have been allowed to go ahead, but I don't think Vetra could afford to come back for a replay, so game on it was.

Almost the same conditions when we played dinaburg at home if I recall correctly.

Sir David Gray
07-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Almost the same conditions when we played dinaburg at home if I recall correctly.

:agree: I was away on holiday for the Vetra match so can't comment on that one but the weather during the Dinaburg Daugavpils match a couple of years later was awful.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Game in europe or the Intertoto a few years ago at ER, can't remember who we were playing but I think we hammered them. Extremely heavy rain with thunder and lightening.

Or the final vs Killie.

Hermit Crab
07-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Game in europe or the Intertoto a few years ago at ER, can't remember who we were playing but I think we hammered them. Extremely heavy rain with thunder and lightening.

Or the final vs Killie.

See above.

HibbyAndy
07-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Or the final vs Killie.

Vetra

Finished 1-1

Hermit Crab
07-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Vetra

Finished 1-1

Yes but against dinaburg it was thunder and lightning and torrential rain as well.

Keith_M
07-12-2014, 01:52 PM
After giving this much thought, I've decided it was the game at the Allianz Arena in Munich in Feb 2012. We'd just had a horrendously cold winter and I went to to the first TSV-1860 match after the winter break. It was an evening match and the temperature went down to -14C by the end of the game.

We had frequent visits to the Gluhwein Stalls under the Stand...... purely to keep warm, of course :wink:

In Scotland I'm not sure, but the Cup Final in 2007 must be high up there on the list of coldest matches. Plus we were in the very front row, completely open to the snow.

StevieC
07-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Worst match for me, by a country mile, was the Newcastle v Sunderland game in 1999.

They were in the process of adding an extra tier to the Milburn and Leazes stands so they had the roof off. I was near the dugouts in the Milburn. It was one of the heaviest rainfalls I've ever experienced at a match, and you had no choice but to sit there and get drenched (imagine sitting in a large puddle of water while someone carries out a 90 minute water bucket challenge on you!).

To top it all, Quinn and Phillips score in the second half to cancel out a Dyer first half (no pun intended) strike.

Gullit had dropped Alan Shearer and Duncan Ferguson from the starting line-up, and on the back of the result got sacked a couple of days later.

hibs0666
07-12-2014, 01:56 PM
A few drownings in the old Gorgie Rd end at the piggery.

Also the 7-0 tonking by oldco. It was well below freezing and there was no hot water for hot drinks as the pipes had burst. A right bundle of laughs that game was :rolleyes:

Think it was about minus 10 that day at Ibrox.

IWasThere2016
07-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Cowdenbeath for me. Torrential rain, how we lasted the 90 mins I'll never know.

Cup game there also in January 2013 was as cold as I've ever been at a game. I'd thermals on top, bottom, feet and had to wrap my scarf round my ears to stave off the cold.

Pretty Boy
07-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Cup game there also in January 2013 was as cold as I've ever been at a game. I'd thermals on top, bottom, feet and had to wrap my scarf round my ears to stave off the cold.

When they scored after abut 5 seconds or whatever it was I seriously contemplated heading back to the pub.

It was freezing.

sleeping giant
07-12-2014, 02:25 PM
My Dad never felt the cold when he lifted me high upon his shoulders when I was 5 :greengrin

smurf
07-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Aberdeen Scottish Cup at Easter Road Jan 1983. Torrential rain. Drenched.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Yes but against dinaburg it was thunder and lightning and torrential rain as well.

The weather at the 2nd leg more than made up for it, much like the 2nd leg in Vilnius.

Hermit Crab
07-12-2014, 03:22 PM
The weather at the 2nd leg more than made up for it, much like the 2nd leg in Vilnius.

2nd leg in dinaburg was incredibly hot. Even the beer was warm.

Billy McKirdy
07-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Vetra

Finished 1-1

Pretty sure one of the Intertoto's finished 4 or 5 nil at home in the thunder and lightning and I'm certain it was Jones's debut.

edit: 5-0 Dinaburg at home 2 July 2006

Killen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Killen) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Soccerball_shade.svg/20px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png 38'
Brown (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Brown_(Scottish_footballer)) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Soccerball_shade.svg/20px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png 49'
Sproule (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Sproule) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Soccerball_shade.svg/20px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png 72'
Murphy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Murphy_(footballer)) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Soccerball_shade.svg/20px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png 75'
Fletcher (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Fletcher_(footballer)) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Soccerball_shade.svg/20px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png 85'

ekhibee
07-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Well I can't say that it was the coldest, but the most depressing game I went to weather-wise was our first game the last time we were in the old 1st Division at Cappielow. They were late opening the turnstiles, it was pouring virtually the entire time, and the pies were pish. I seem to remember them having a hole in the stand I was in as well. Great stuff.

DH1875
07-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Something sticks in my head of unbareable cold at the old airdrie ground broomfield in the early 90's one time. Couldnt tel you exactly when it was but it sticks in my head as the coldest ive ever been at a game!

:agree::agree::agree:

Remember it well, but only because it was freezing and we were charging about the old terracing having a snow ball fight. Think the game ended up 0-0 or 1-1.

BonnieFitbaTeam
07-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Was extremely wet at Cowdenbeath a few weeks ago but wettest I've ever been at a game was Spain v Scotland friendly in Valencia a few years back. Massive thunder storm and game was abandoned. There are few worse garments when wet than the kilt !

weonlywon6-2
07-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Some games on the very old terracing before they took the top away,some cold days
away at the piggery in the 80s,some belters there

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-12-2014, 06:30 PM
A midweek game in Dec/Jan up in Aberdeen is never much fun weather wise, we'll not need to worry about that for a while though.

Peevemor
07-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Some games on the very old terracing before they took the top away,some cold days
away at the piggery in the 80s,some belters there

I remember one such match against Aberdeen (early to mid eighties). It was probably the heaviest rain I've stood under at a match and, given the crowd was about 15k, the old shouting at them to let us into the cowshed trick wasn't an option. To top it all off, IIRC we were gubbed 4-0 or 4-1.

Hermit Crab
07-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Inverness away about 3 or 4 years ago on a Wednesday night. Blizzards up the A9 thought the game would be off but there was little snow in Inverness itself but it was about -5 or 6 that night. For the 150-200 that travelled up including myself, will probably not be colder at a game anytime soon. We got humped 3-0 as well.

Squealing pig
07-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Mcdirmid park back mid to late 90s snow was horrendous can't remember think game got called of or abandoned

erin go bragh
07-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Remember playing Falkirk at Brockville in the mid 80s
Pitch was frozen ( i threw a 5p on the side of the pitch and it bounced like it had hit an ice rink : no players were on the pitch as my mate had the bright idea of getting in early )and the terrace was even colder . Baltic is an understatement.

Ggtth

Hiber-nation
07-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Remember playing Falkirk at Brockville in the mid 80s
Pitch was frozen ( i threw a 5p on the side of the pitch and it bounced like it had hit an ice rink : no players were on the pitch as my mate had the bright idea of getting in early )and the terrace was even colder . Baltic is an understatement.

Ggtth

Was that the game when Graeme Mitchell and Tommy McIntyre made their debuts? I remember the pies were frozen in the middle....

R'Albin
07-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Haven't read the thread but Aberdeen 0-2 Hibs. Snowing and generally ****ing freezing.

erin go bragh
07-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Was that the game when Graeme Mitchell and Tommy McIntyre made their debuts? I remember the pies were frozen in the middle....

No sure HN . Maybe ,but the pies werent the only things frozen :)

Ggtth

Haymaker
08-12-2014, 12:56 AM

Did you get a round in?

Johnny_Leith
08-12-2014, 01:23 AM
Ayr at home in the Scottish cup a few years back (early 2011 maybe ?) finished 0-0 and it was absolutely Baltic

we are hibs
08-12-2014, 06:36 AM
the rain when we played dinaburg in the intertoto cup was as heavy as i've seen!!

also, i remember a friendly a few years back against some irish team mid season under calderwood and it was absolutely freezing!! was a dire game too

Mr White
08-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Heavy rain at a few of our inter-toto games, Elfsborg in 2008 was torrential too.

Geo_1875
08-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Midweek game at Hamilton a couple or 3 years back. Must have been -5 and I'd gone straight from work in a suit. Never been so cold and took weeks before my legs were back to normal.

Cabbage East
08-12-2014, 10:54 AM
the rain when we played dinaburg in the intertoto cup was as heavy as i've seen!!

also, i remember a friendly a few years back against some irish team mid season under calderwood and it was absolutely freezing!! was a dire game too

Aye, was trying to remember who that was. Anyone remember their left back? Looked like Ron Jeremy and probably one of the worst footballers I've ever seen at ER.

SteveHFC
08-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Did you get a round in?

Nope:greengrin

The_Exile
08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Yeah the electrical storm during the Vetra game was pretty intense, think if it was a league game it'd have been called off but as they had travelled from the Baltics they just pressed on with it, was probably the heaviest rain I've ever seen! Think that was Mowbrays first game too?

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Yeah the electrical storm during the Vetra game was pretty intense, think if it was a league game it'd have been called off but as they had travelled from the Baltics they just pressed on with it, was probably the heaviest rain I've ever seen! Think that was Mowbrays first game too?

I backed Vetra at a big price that day due to the farcical conditions, didnae quite come off.

Hermit Crab
08-12-2014, 01:36 PM
I backed Vetra at a big price that day due to the farcical conditions, didnae quite come off.

We lost 1-0? Orr was it 1-1?

scoopyboy
08-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Heaviest rain at a game I've witnesses was at a pre season away to Raith. Had a pint in the Starks Bar before the game and about an hour later when the match was abandoned at half time Sean Dennis was trying to get water out the pub and he was knee deep in it.

Wettest I have ever been was at Cowdenbeath a couple of weeks ago, no cover to help at all.

Coldest was at Pittodrie one December just before Chrimbo. Had been at Brechin for a few on the way up and the alcohol didn't help. One pair of gloves between five of us, you got three minutes and then you had to pass them on. Got beaten as well and IIRC bloody Scott Booth scored.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-12-2014, 02:01 PM
We lost 1-0? Orr was it 1-1?

IIRC Vetra took the lead and it finished 1-1.

Haymaker
08-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Nope:greengrin

Standard!

B.H.F.C
08-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Aberdeen just before xmas a few years ago was the coldest. Think it was the year we had the really bad winter. I remember being just past Dundee and the radio reporting that the game might be off because of snow.

Cowdenbeath the other week was as miserable as I've ever felt at a game though. Soaked and standing in that dump wasn't pleasent. Got bloody soaked in Maribor as well.

Frazerbob
08-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Nothing will ever come close to a Scotland B v Germany B match in Mannheim one December midweek about 10 years ago. Without doubt the coldest I have ever been in my life. Cracking trip though! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Winston Ingram
08-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I was at Lithuania Scotland u21 match in Vilnius about 12 yrs ago. It was freezing. It was that cold a member of the TA had pished in & filled 1.5l Coke bottle & was cuddling it for a heat😕

BigT-Hibeez
08-12-2014, 10:16 PM
definitely Cowdenbeath away

craigmounthibby
08-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Inverness away about 3 or 4 years ago on a Wednesday night. Blizzards up the A9 thought the game would be off but there was little snow in Inverness itself but it was about -5 or 6 that night. For the 150-200 that travelled up including myself, will probably not be colder at a game anytime soon. We got humped 3-0 as well.
This. I was at Maribor, Cowdenbeath a few weeks ago & the sheep game in 2010 when we won 2-0, but I have never, ever been so cold and uncomfortable at a game of football as that night in Inverness. It hurt to just open your eyes (and we were utter mince that night).

The Pointer
08-12-2014, 10:26 PM
I was at Lithuania Scotland u21 match in Vilnius about 12 yrs ago. It was freezing. It was that cold a member of the TA had pished in & filled 1.5l Coke bottle & was cuddling it for a heat

Maybe the same trip. We decided to walk to another pub a few hundred yards away and I didn't think we were going to make it, it was so cold. Wearing a kilt didn't help.

The last game in lovely Kaunas was about the same but Baltic means exactly that! The Cup game at Cowdenbeath was the nearest to that in this country.

Other random thoughts include going to Aberdeen for a cup game which I think we lost. (Did Joe Harper score?) I was on my old Yam RD200 and came off on black ice going out of Cowdenbeath. 10 minutes later a cop Panda car came round the bend and did exactly the same thing, sliding for 100 yards before whacking into a barrier - which cheered me up no end! Kicked the bike into shape and continued but, by Christ, it was cold on the mitts.

Jamesie
08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
The thunderstorm in the Intertoto cup against Vetra Vilinius (?), I think it was Rob Jones debut and the rain was heavy.

Amazed it took 28 posts for this game to be mentioned - I think it was against a Latvian team though, Dinaberg, probably a year or so after the Vetra game. Never seen rain like that at the football.

Jamesie
08-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Nothing will ever come close to a Scotland B v Germany B match in Mannheim one December midweek about 10 years ago. Without doubt the coldest I have ever been in my life. Cracking trip though! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Ten years ago yesterday - doesn't time fly!

SteveHFC
08-12-2014, 11:03 PM

Was that game not in 2005 mate? :greengrin

Sir David Gray
08-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Was that game not in 2005 mate? :greengrin

I thought that too.

I had a look through all our matches against Inverness and the only midweek matches we've had up there was the match last season which was played in March, one in 2011 in May and two in 2005 in March and December.

lord bunberry
09-12-2014, 07:37 AM
I remember 5-1 defeat at the pbs, I was down the front and the rain was pouring off the stand right into my seat. I eventually had to stand up as I was getting soaked, only for someone to complain that they couldn't see.

Frazerbob
09-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Ten years ago yesterday - doesn't time fly!

Haha really? I was judging guessing at 10 years. Your first Scotland trip?

Hibernia&Alba
09-12-2014, 09:07 PM
I was at Lithuania Scotland u21 match in Vilnius about 12 yrs ago. It was freezing. It was that cold a member of the TA had pished in & filled 1.5l Coke bottle & was cuddling it for a heat

Fair play, that's cold! :-D

Mixu62
11-12-2014, 06:44 AM
An away game at airdrie in the 90's in a blizzard. My brother stepped in a puddle and went in up to his calves in new timberlands. Lost as well. Horrendous.

Ronniekirk
11-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Amazed it took 28 posts for this game to be mentioned - I think it was against a Latvian team though, Dinaberg, probably a year or so after the Vetra game. Never seen rain like that at the football.

Yep great advert for summer football some of the slide tackles went on for about 30 feet Aqua Gliding at its best

Spudster
11-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Not Hibs, not even football but the fact this NFL game went ahead game me a chuckle
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000294491/Week-14-Lions-vs-Eagles-highlights
Not shown in the video is between every few plays officials would run across the lines with blowers trying to make the lines visible (and creating foot deep trenches in the process).

Eyrie
11-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Not Hibs, not even football but the fact this NFL game went ahead game me a chuckle
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000294491/Week-14-Lions-vs-Eagles-highlights
Not shown in the video is between every few plays officials would run across the lines with blowers trying to make the lines visible (and creating foot deep trenches in the process).
Thanks - cheered me up after the no-show against the Seahawks.

Northernhibee
11-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Aberdeen away in December under Calderwood, blizzarding with snow, freezing wind coming off the north sea, the game where Pawlett dived for a penalty (hardly narrows it down mind you) - awful day.

whiskyhibby
11-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Dynamo Moscow v Anzhi Makhachkala about 3 years ago in December at the Khimki arena absolutely bollock freezing cold (I think it was -10) even the heater in my £20 vip box didn't help.............Fabio Capello was sat in the box behind me and looked suitably bored even though Dynamo won 3-0 if I remember correctly

Andy74
11-12-2014, 07:50 PM

Fekt like the longest walk back ever. One fairly poor Irish pub open too.

McIntosh
11-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Hearts v hibs 1-1 draw Willie Irvine scored for us - in the uncovered Gorgie Road end it pelted down like nothing on earth totally drenched and equally freezing!!!!

sure it was 1984

calumhibee1
12-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Cowdenbeath the other week was the worst I can think of off the top of my head. :agree:

southern hibby
12-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Wettest I've been was Spain v Scotland friendly I'n Valencia. Scotland winning one nil, Spain got a very dodgy penalty scored and within a minute afterwards the sky opened up and it was torrential rain.

Game abandoned, had to walk back into centre of the city. Can remember two three hundred Scotland fans singing the rain I'n Spain falls mainly on the plain and me over and over again .

GGTTH

Alfred E Newman
12-12-2014, 05:15 PM
I remember a game against Clyde in the mid sixties when it snowed constantly for the whole game . It was so bad you could not see the lines , and a Hibs player whose name I can't remember slid into the boundary wall and broke his kneecap. I won't start on the journey back to Peebles. I think we lost heavily if I remember.