PDA

View Full Version : What would make a better match day experience for fans

Earl of Currie
06-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Barry Hearn was talking about a better match day experience during the week and used re-introducing alcohol to grounds as one way to do this.
Not including better team, winning games, etc., what would make a better match day experience for fans? I have read summer football, cheaper tickets and standing areas in grounds, but what else would provide an improved experience.

A few others to consider could be,
Big screens in a few of the corners showing highlights and half time entertainment
More games for your day ticket – For example under 20’s/ladies matches before the main game or youth tournaments during the day in the ground with the Senior game afterwards
Subsidised travel to away games – this could apply to other sports as well (rugby,cricket, etc)
Fan zones before and after matches – Drinks, barbeques, music building up to the game

matty_f
06-12-2014, 08:39 AM
They could start by having the pre-match and half time music set to a few decibels below deafening, so you can speak to the folk around you without having to shout at them. That would be a quick-win right away.

(this is a sign I'm getting old, I know.)

green&left
06-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Simple really...

-More 3pm kick-offs
-Standing sections
-Being trusted to have a pint at the game
-Being trusted to have a couple of cans on the bus or train
-Police Scotland not treating you as a criminal for being a fitba fan
-Cheaper match tickets and rail travel

None of which will unfortunately happen....

Hermit Crab
06-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Standing areas, controlled of course so fans are given the option and not herded into a seating section and threatened with ejection if you stand up.
A shake up of the catering menu wouldn't be a bad idea. £2.40 for a juice is scandalous. Do things like having curry days or something, I'm sure Motherwell do this with success.

matty_f
06-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Standing areas, controlled of course so fans are given the option and not herded into a seating section and threatened with ejection if you stand up.
A shake up of the catering menu wouldn't be a bad idea. £2.40 for a juice is scandalous. Do things like having curry days or something, I'm sure Motherwell do this with success.

The catering should be a priority. I've stopped using it altogether because I absolutely refuse to be ripped off to the extent that these guys are at it.

It makes for a disappointment for the kids when they're with me, because they quite like getting a bit of junk food at half time, but £6 odd for a bit of rubbery pizza and a juice is criminal, for want of a better word.

Just because we're football fans, shouldn't mean we should have the pish taken out of us with the catering prices. I'd be embarrassed if I ran a retailer and was asking folk for the sort of money they ask for, and then served up the shambolic quality that they serve up.

I just boycott it nowadays.

Hermit Crab
06-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Simple really...

-More 3pm kick-offs
-Standing sections

You can drink on trains, just not before 10am. This applies to everybody not just football fans you know.
Just how cheap do you want the train tickets? Book in advance for some very heavily discounted tickets. This season is not bad day returns to the following are, £5.50 return to livingston, £7.20 return to cowdenbeath, £9.40 return to kirkcaldy and £9.40 return to Falkirk. All cheaper that the supporters buses.

All of the above in bold are out with the clubs control.

bobbyhibs1983
06-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Simple really...

-More 3pm kick-offs
-Standing sections

I agree with the points in regards more 3pm kick offs and cheaper tickets but im sure some people may agree that not everyone can be trusted to have pints at games, i maybe base that on a *few* idiots somewhere in the ground and i feel this would be so much of a hassle to whoever concerned drink at games would not happen.
(of course i dont touch the booze, so it dont effect me either way .. honest)
As for the thread. a couple of ideas.

1.like in the states, maybe have you know these hot dog venders come round, whom may have other things than just hot dogs, this would save on the queues.
2.kinda alone the point above the cost of foogd.drinka t games should be revised.
3.Maybe at half time, maybe people can email someone with questions for whomever.board member,players , manager team, before the saturday and some of the questions and answers could be read out.
4.As someone said above lower the music, i find it dead loud as well(does 31 count as old? i do feel 61 some times!)

Hermit Crab
06-12-2014, 08:58 AM
The catering should be a priority. I've stopped using it altogether because I absolutely refuse to be ripped off to the extent that these guys are at it.

It makes for a disappointment for the kids when they're with me, because they quite like getting a bit of junk food at half time, but £6 odd for a bit of rubbery pizza and a juice is criminal, for want of a better word.

Just because we're football fans, shouldn't mean we should have the pish taken out of us with the catering prices. I'd be embarrassed if I ran a retailer and was asking folk for the sort of money they ask for, and then served up the shambolic quality that they serve up.

Correct, i wouldn't mind if you were getting a decent feed, but its all crap and mass produced stuff. If you're lucky you get a steak pie that doesn't stick to the foil tin and if you're very very lucky you get one with no fatty bits in it.

Fillet steak pies and sirloin steak sandwiches are the way forward :greengrin

green&left
06-12-2014, 09:03 AM
You can drink on trains, just not before 10am. This applies to everybody not just football fans you know.
Just how cheap do you want the train tickets? Book in advance for some very heavily discounted tickets. This season is not bad day returns to the following are, £5.50 return to livingston, £7.20 return to cowdenbeath, £9.40 return to kirkcaldy and £9.40 return to Falkirk. All cheaper that the supporters buses.

All of the above are out with the clubs control.

Not if they are dry trains which they most always are to Inverness, Dingwall & Aberdeen.

This season has been cheap as chips but a different ball game in the SPL when you can't book them in advance due to the risk of the match being shifted for TV for the 3 fixtures above. There's been a couple of times i've booked in advance only for the game to moved to a Sunday or Monday! Then there's the likes of Dundee which is £25 odd return for a 55 mile journey. I travelled 300km across Italy for alot less than that!

Makes no real odds to me as i go everyweek anyway. Would just make me less of a moaning faced barsteward :greengrin

Hermit Crab
06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Not if they are dry trains which they most always are to Inverness, Dingwall & Aberdeen.

This season has been cheap as chips but a different ball game in the SPL when you can't book them in advance due to the risk of the match being shifted for TV for the 3 fixtures above. There's been a couple of times i've booked in advance only for the game to moved to a Sunday or Monday! Then there's the likes of Dundee which is £25 odd return for a 55 mile journey. I travelled 300km across Italy for alot less than that!

Makes no real odds to me as i go everyweek anyway. Would just make me less of a moaning faced barsteward :greengrin

Buy a cheap day return from Edinburgh to Leuchars then buy a cheap day return from Leauchars to Dundee, saves a few quid off the fare.

Aberdeen. Buy a super off peak return from Edinburgh to Montrose. Then buy a off peak return from Montrose to Aberdeen. Again it saves you a few quid.

marinello59
06-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Give us a reason to be at the ground earlier. The East Stand has a massive empty concourse which should be utilised more. There is no real reason why we couldn't have bars inside the ground, like they do down south, serving pre-match and half time drinks. Throw in a family area with beat the goalie style games etc. With more fans and families being there longer there would be more incentive to improve the catering and provide real variety.
And the one that splits us, Summer football. :greengrin We need revolutionary changes, not tinkering, we should at least try it for a couple of seasons.

Pretty Boy
06-12-2014, 09:11 AM
A standing area.

Controlled alcohol sales.

More 3PM kick offs.

That's really it for me.

Pretty Boy
06-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Give us a reason to be at the ground earlier. The East Stand has a massive empty concourse which should be utilised more. There is no real reason why we couldn't have bars inside the ground, like they do down south, serving pre-match and half time drinks. Throw in a family area with beat the goalie style games etc. With more fans and families being there longer there would be more incentive to improve the catering and provide real variety.
And the one that splits us, Summer football. :greengrin We need revolutionary changes, not tinkering, we should at least try it for a couple of seasons.

The thing is the alcohol rules make no sense as to all intents and purposes you can get a pint in the ground pre game anyway in BTG.

Someone could easily tank 6 pints in there, go outside, go back in a different entrance. I fail to see how that is massively different from standing with a beer in one of the concourses.

Keith_M
06-12-2014, 09:19 AM
I've been saying this for about ten years but, once more for repetition...

Sexy Cheerleaders!

:greengrin

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/73/00/3a/73003a422825e11c3403696297f3fb5b.jpg

HH81
06-12-2014, 09:28 AM
I live in England and do not remember having a decent pint in any football ground. Drinking at half time is not all its made out to be!

I would have more pre match stuff going on. What about pen comps for the younger ones etc

Hermit Crab
06-12-2014, 09:30 AM
I live in England and do not remember having a decent pint in any football ground. Drinking at half time is not all its made out to be!

I would have more pre match stuff going on. What about pen comps for the younger ones etc

They players would be warming up on the pitch though.

HH81
06-12-2014, 09:34 AM
They players would be warming up on the pitch though.

You could have it at half 1 till 2?

Hermit Crab
06-12-2014, 09:36 AM
You could have it at half 1 till 2?

Lets say a fiver a head, everyones a winner :greengrin

green&left
06-12-2014, 09:36 AM

Pre match raves :agree: :flag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpunr2d2SGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO2C1zzbRKA

The Pointer
06-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Standing areas, less loud music (I like loud music in the right environment) and three o'clock kick-offs are the obvious no-brainers, but as others have said, the areas in front of the main stand and at the back of the east are just vacant, never used spaces. At this time of year they could have them filled with Christmas markets or such like which could be enjoyed by locals as well over the course of the weekend(s).

As far as bevvy is concerned, I wouldn't be interested unless it was something other than generic, tasteless, over-priced fizzy lager. (Happen to be a bit of a beer snob I'm afraid!)

The 'food' available is inedible and disgusting and embarrassing. Elfin Safety will inevitably rear its ugly head, but is it not within the realms of possibility for the club to get someone to rustle up urns of chilli and/or curry as they manage to do at Glasgow Warriors' games.

The Pointer
06-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Pre match raves :agree: :flag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpunr2d2SGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO2C1zzbRKA

That's brilliant - loads of folk having a ball without a bizzy in sight? Ain't going to happen here.

Also, how's about a DJ who plays wind-up songs to the oppo and big foxtrot oscar flags in the standing section?

Hermit Crab
06-12-2014, 10:09 AM
That's brilliant - loads of folk having a ball without a bizzy in sight? Ain't going to happen here.

Also, how's about a DJ who plays wind-up songs to the oppo and big foxtrot oscar flags in the standing section?

How about a dj that plays decent music instead of pish, also I've said this many times before why not put away fans in the top tier out the way instead of allowing them to be close to the players to give them encouragement. obviously hearts and rangers get the full stand but other teams away support should be tucked away in the top corner out the way. Newcastle, sunderland man u chelsea celtic rangers swansea all do it to name a few.

Kaff
06-12-2014, 10:26 AM
How about a dj that plays decent music instead of pish, also I've said this many times before why not put away fans in the top tier out the way instead of allowing them to be close to the players to give them encouragement. obviously hearts and rangers get the full stand but other teams away support should be tucked away in the top corner out the way. Newcastle, sunderland man u chelsea celtic rangers swansea all do it to name a few.

You are correct from a sporting contest angle but imo to improve the match experience then away fans don't deserve to be tucked away in an area with a poorer view.
Hibs shouldn't be the only club to offer away supporters a good 'advantage' of being in a prime position and the likes of the Old Firm should be made to give the opposition a more central area. Encourage more away fans and you improve the spectacle imo, not top of my list but just something extra

Albanian Hibs
06-12-2014, 10:30 AM
The catering has to be looked at. The quality of the food is shocking and way overpriced.

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Selling drink at games wouldn't make the club much in my opinion, and personally i cant see myself buying any. I have been to plenty of games in England, and have only drank once at a Blackburn v Hibs game.

Its overpriced and hardly the comfiest place to have a drink. As for it contributing to any trouble, if any fan wants to get pissed and cause bother at the game they will do it before they come to Easter Road.

iwasthere1972
06-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Separate sections for latecomers, early goers, folk who have to visit the toilet more than once, pie munchers, etc etc. I get up that often during a match to let folk past that I reckon I do more exercise at Easter Road than someone who as a gym membership.

Heated seats during the winter as well. :aok:

lyonhibs
06-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Hibs winning at home and playing good football on a regular basis is the single biggest factor in influencing the match day experience. Everything else is important to varying degrees but the price of a pie (or whatever) wouldn't be such a major talking point if results at home were better.

green&left
06-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Selling drink at games wouldn't make the club much in my opinion, and personally i cant see myself buying any. I have been to plenty of games in England, and have only drank once at a Blackburn v Hibs game.

Its overpriced and hardly the comfiest place to have a drink. As for it contributing to any trouble, if any fan wants to get pissed and cause bother at the game they will do it before they come to Easter Road.

The Palace v Cardiff game I was at the concourse was stowed out pre match and half time for a pint.

KdyHby
06-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Let a local deli, eg the Sicilian Bakery, sell its food and coffee. Does one provider need to have a monopoly?

silverhibee
06-12-2014, 11:32 AM
They could start by having the pre-match and half time music set to a few decibels below deafening, so you can speak to the folk around you without having to shout at them. That would be a quick-win right away.

(this is a sign I'm getting old, I know.)

What music, don't hear a thing. Getting very old. :greengrin

matty_f
06-12-2014, 11:33 AM
What music, don't hear a thing. Getting very old. :greengrin

:tee hee:

lord bunberry
06-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Let a local deli, eg the Sicilian Bakery, sell its food and coffee. Does one provider need to have a monopoly?

That's a good point, why does it always have to be that utter garbage that's on sale at football stadiums? Why can't we have proper food being sold. Even greggs would be an improvement on the inedible, over priced junk that masquerades as food we currently serve.

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 11:40 AM
The Palace v Cardiff game I was at the concourse was stowed out pre match and half time for a pint.

I'd say a lot were there for food too, at easter road what would you guess would be the amount of pints we'd sell at say HT at a normal category b game with a crowd of 10k?

I'm not against it, i just don't think it will be some big money making machine.

tamig
06-12-2014, 11:48 AM

My biggest gripe too.

Quality of product is poor and the prices are scandalous. How anyone can justify £2.20 for a luke warm cup of tea is ridiculous. The "meal deals" they advertise are laughable. And they need to sort the queueing out. If you go just before h/t you're lucky to make it back for the start of the second half.

mutley
06-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Now that fans can get outside for a half time smoke, how about using the concourse area for independent food merchants, and maybe a bar. Something similar to Murratfield?
Is it Dundee Utd that has a hotdog vendor as well as the usual catering/pie vendor?
Something along those lines anyway

GreenLake
06-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Build a lounge in between dressing rooms and player tunnel with free food, wine and beer before kick-off and at half-time. Season ticket holders with this level of access can walk out into the stadium through the player tunnel and sit pitch side during the game. After the game, the bar is open but not free and the manager and some of the players may join in for a drink or two.

Danderhall Hibs
06-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Absolutely. Thing is looking at the queues, folk obviously still think it's of a good standard and value for money. That means they'll continue to produce the same quality and put prices up.

A boycott is the only way to get the message across.

Alfred E Newman
06-12-2014, 12:23 PM
The new drink driving laws mean that even a pint before the game is taboo if you are driving home .

leggeto
06-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Big screens would be class,good for birthday's and special occasions,would prob cost a few Bob though

Alfred E Newman
06-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Build a lounge in between dressing rooms and player tunnel with free food, wine and beer before kick-off and at half-time. Season ticket holders with this level of access can walk out into the stadium through the player tunnel and sit pitch side during the game. After the game, the bar is open but not free and the manager and some of the players may join in for a drink or two.

You forgot the gogo dancers!

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Fill the corners in with a Dizzie Lizzie's on each one.

therealgavmac
06-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Dizzy Lizzy's before games used to be good!! :greengrin

HappyAsHellas
06-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Haven't heard of that place in donkeys years....:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
06-12-2014, 01:11 PM
How many home games haven't been a Saturday 3pm kick off this season?

matty_f
06-12-2014, 01:14 PM
How many home games haven't been a Saturday 3pm kick off this season?

Think most of them have been at 3pm on a Saturday, to be fair.

I don't think it makes that much of a difference, other than a consistent kick-off time makes planning for going to the games much easier. I certainly don't feel like the atmosphere suffers from the kick-off time.

Tends to be a good game gets a good atmosphere regardless of the kick off time, whereas the opposite is true of a shan game.

therealgavmac
06-12-2014, 01:21 PM

Bugger you beat me to it!! Kindred Spirits :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
06-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Simple really...

-More 3pm kick-offs
-Standing sections

None of which will unfortunately happen....Mainly because football fans prove season after season why they can't be trusted. Yes, the majority of us can be but far too often fans break the rules by entering the pitch, using flares/smoke bombs and vandalizing property.

Alfred E Newman
06-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Dizzy Lizzy's before games used to be good!! :greengrin

And the Loch Inn!!

Albion Hibs
06-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Chance to buy a pint in the stadium. Get folk there earlier and involved in the atmosphere.

I would stick a giant banner across the east to get the fans down the stand and next to the pitch. I think not only would that create a better atmosphere for fans, but would also create more of an intimidating atmosphere for visiting players. We lost this big time when the new stand was built, and it is probably a joy for away players to have our more vocal fans sitting up the back of the stand...even our own players used to fear putting in a bad performance and having to play in front of the old east.

More saturday 3pm games. If we were winning every week this would be less relevant, but it is just another reason for fans not to go to the game.

Colr
06-12-2014, 06:39 PM

Its good at the egg chasing, though. You can have a Guinness or an IPA. Food is dominos pizza, pulled pork, posh burgers or fish and chips. The kids get to play on the pitch afterwards.

Tottenham you get a stale bagel with Philadelphia and a warm Bud. Piss take.

Swedish hibee
06-12-2014, 08:08 PM
1.like in the states, maybe have you know these hot dog venders come round, whom may have other things than just hot dogs, this would save on the queues.
2.kinda alone the point above the cost of food.drink at games should be revised.

You can't refrain from eating "food" (if you can call it that!) for 2 hours and now you want the food brought to your seat!

No wonder Scotland has the obesity problems it has.

Carheenlea
06-12-2014, 08:24 PM
You can't refrain from eating "food" (if you can call it that!) for 2 hours and now you want the food brought to your seat!

No wonder Scotland has the obesity problems it has.

Designated parking spaces and charge points for motability scooters, with a moving walkway (via the catering outlets) from scooterpark to stand.

GreenLake
07-12-2014, 01:41 AM

How about nice looking cheerleaders? :greengrin

Everything I suggested really is what happens for fieldside seat season ticket holders at LA Galaxy home games. Unfortunately, it isn't legal to sit fans on the pitch in leagues other than the MLS and those seats are removed for CONCACAF games.