PDA

View Full Version : Richard Skellett - Back On The Scene? (Old thread revived.... he’s not.)

Mikey
04-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I've heard this a few times over the last couple of days........

The story goes that STF is ready to sell him 74% and the remaining 26% goes to community ownership (presumably that's you and me!).

Erm....... that's it :greengrin

Keith_M
04-12-2014, 02:28 PM

The story goes that STF is ready to sell him 74% and the remaining 26% goes to community ownership (presumably that's you and me!).

I just can't resist saying this.....

Source?

:greengrin

Mikey
04-12-2014, 02:31 PM
I've heard this a few times...........

I just can't resist saying this.....

Source?

A few people :greengrin

Keith_M
04-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Cop out!

Phil MaGlass
04-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Brilliant :greengrin

worcesterhibby
04-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Does Skellett have a lot of personal wealth as their doesn't seem to be a great deal of cash in his companies.

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where Richard holds a current appointment equals £324,047, with a combined total current assets value of £2,899,313 and total current liabilities of £3,251,550.

Haymaker
04-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Who's Richard Skellet? :confused:

Mikey
04-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Who's Richard Skellet? :confused:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?290575-Takeover-New-Name-(Richard-Skellett)&highlight=skellett

Haymaker
04-12-2014, 03:19 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?290575-Takeover-New-Name-(Richard-Skellett)&highlight=skellett

Ahh cheers Mikey! :aok:

Billy Whizz
04-12-2014, 03:56 PM
I don't think he ever went away!

scoopyboy
04-12-2014, 04:06 PM

I heard a while back that him and STF were close to a deal but that 49% would remain with STF. Don't ask me the logic cos I simply don't have a clue.

CropleyWasGod
04-12-2014, 04:12 PM
I heard a while back that him and STF were close to a deal but that 49% would remain with STF. Don't ask me the logic cos I simply don't have a clue.

Some shareholder decisions need a 75% majority, hence the BuyHibs proposal to let STF keep 26%.

Most, though, just need a 50.1% majority.

If your info is correct, RS would also have 49%, and the supporters 2%. That way, neither of the larger shareholders have overall control. That may be STF's way of "keeping an eye on" RS until he fully trusts him.

Smartie
04-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Is this the "Globalhibby" guy?

Baldy Foghorn
04-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Is this the "Globalhibby" guy?

Yip

scoopyboy
04-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Some shareholder decisions need a 75% majority, hence the BuyHibs proposal to let STF keep 26%.

Most, though, just need a 50.1% majority.

If your info is correct, RS would also have 49%, and the supporters 2%. That way, neither of the larger shareholders have overall control. That may be STF's way of "keeping an eye on" RS until he fully trusts him.

Thanks CWG.

whiskyhibby
04-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Maybe RP is going to gift his10% to the fans[emoji1]

The Green Goblin
04-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Interesting, especially after someone under the BuyHibs username replied "No" to another poster on here asking if he was involved. Is his name being mentioned in connection with BuyHibs? (In these rumours?)

Pretty Boy
04-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Interesting, especially after someone under the BuyHibs username replied "No" to another poster on here asking if he was involved. Is his name being mentioned in connection with BuyHibs? (In these rumours?)

I don't think Skellet has any involvement with BuyHibs.

I'm not totally clued up on these rumours but people I've spoke to involved with BuyHibs have always strongly denied he has any involvement so it would surprise me of he does.

J-C
04-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Maybe RP is going to gift his10% to the fans[emoji1]
Pretty sure that 10% is the holding company and not Hibs themselves, unless I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Leithenhibby
04-12-2014, 08:37 PM
I don't think he ever went away!

Surprised that you are the only one to mention this :wink:

CropleyWasGod
04-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Pretty sure that 10% is the holding company and not Hibs themselves, unless I've got the wrong end of the stick.
Right end of the stick :)

The Green Goblin
04-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I don't think Skellet has any involvement with BuyHibs.

I'm not totally clued up on these rumours but people I've spoke to involved with BuyHibs have always strongly denied he has any involvement so it would surprise me of he does.

Cheers. Do you think this going to mean a tussle for ownership of the club?

Pretty Boy
04-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Cheers. Do you think this going to mean a tussle for ownership of the club?

I really have no idea.

I still maintain absolutely nothing will happen until Hibs announce their own plans for ownership change or alteration which I suspect will be at the AGM.

That will likely confirm or firmly refute the rumours about club and property being seperated which will determine future support for any fan/community led ownership schemes imo.

BuyHibs
04-12-2014, 10:36 PM
We can confirm again that Richard Skellett has had nothing to do with BuyHibs.

silverhibee
04-12-2014, 11:15 PM
I really have no idea.

I still maintain absolutely nothing will happen until Hibs announce their own plans for ownership change or alteration which I suspect will be at the AGM.

That will likely confirm or firmly refute the rumours about club and property being seperated which will determine future support for any fan/community led ownership schemes imo.

Wish Hibs would just announce when the AGM is going to take place.

jacomo
04-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Wish Hibs would just announce when the AGM is going to take place.

:agree: The delay is undoubtedly fuelling the rumours. Should have happened as usual.

oldbutdim
05-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Ah.
My Australian chum must have misheard or been confused. He seemed clear at the time.

BuyHibs
05-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Not sure what was or wasn't heard to be honest but I can be absolutely 100% that Richard Skellett has had nothing to do with BuyHibs.

Mikey
Ah.
My Australian chum must have misheard or been confused. He seemed clear at the time.

Well it's funny you should say that as I've had a PM overnight that would back this up.

Mikey
Not sure what was or wasn't heard to be honest but I can be absolutely 100% that Richard Skellett has had nothing to do with BuyHibs.

Fear not, we'll find out for you :greengrin

Mikey
05-12-2014, 07:21 AM

I should add, when I started this thread it was on the basis on Richard Skellett going it alone. I wasn't expecting to unearth (or looking for) any links to BuyHibs.

Caversham Green
05-12-2014, 07:22 AM

For me that raises the question why not? He was willing to 'pledge' £1m up front plus £20k a month and claimed to have no interest in owning the club. Surely that ties in with BuyHibs's stated ambition and would provide a huge chunk of the money they needed.

BuyHibs
05-12-2014, 07:26 AM
I should add, when I started this thread it was on the basis on Richard Skellett going it alone. I wasn't expecting to unearth (or looking for) any links to BuyHibs.

There are no links. Richard and Neil previously spoke prior to BuyHibs but nothing has been discussed since

BuyHibs
05-12-2014, 07:30 AM
For me that raises the question why not? He was willing to 'pledge' £1m up front plus £20k a month and claimed to have no interest in owning the club. Surely that ties in with BuyHibs's stated ambition and would provide a huge chunk of the money they needed.

When Neil opted to go down the SDS then BuyHibs route, Richard opted for his own path. There is nothing to say that such discussions won't happen . As stated previously BuyHibs will engage with any and all Hibs minded people

Caversham Green
05-12-2014, 07:37 AM
When Neil opted to go down the SDS then BuyHibs route, Richard opted for his own path. There is nothing to say that such discussions won't happen . As stated previously BuyHibs will engage with any and all Hibs minded people

Does that mean that prior to the SDS involvement there was contact and that Richard has chosen not to be involved.

I'm not being awkward for the sake of it BTW, I want to be able to judge which of the two options (if they are options) I would prefer and whether we're seeing the start of a power struggle.

Beefster
05-12-2014, 07:40 AM

Which is a bit strange IMHO. IIRC BuyHibs was exactly the sort of initiative that Skillet was looking for before he would commit his £1m and £20k pm.

BuyHibs
05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Does that mean that prior to the SDS involvement there was contact and that Richard has chosen not to be involved.

I'm not being awkward for the sake of it BTW, I want to be able to judge which of the two options (if they are options) I would prefer and whether we're seeing the start of a power struggle.

CG We do not expect any power struggle , We think Richard is aware that any offering needs the fans onboard so if he is in talks and we have no better knowledge than anyone else I would expect him to be open and engage with the fans. We would hope that all Hibs people would see the benefit of this.

That's our take but we cannot speak for Richard or anyone else.
Hibs are the most important issue and all we want is what's best for our club

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Part of me thinks that STF would not sell the club to anyone without consulting the fans first but then he has not consulted the fans on anything for about 20 years so he probably would. :-(

bingo70
05-12-2014, 07:50 AM

Could this not lend weight to the rumour the op was talking about?

(Don't expect you to know the answer to that)

Caversham Green
05-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Part of me thinks that STF would not sell the club to anyone without consulting the fans first but then he has not consulted the fans on anything for about 20 years so he probably would. :-(

If he is going to consult with the fans it will be through Rod Petrie and the board. The recent club survey suggests he is doing that now, but it was never going to be a quick process - neither is the BuyHibs proposal and in truth it doesn't need to be.

Caversham Green
05-12-2014, 07:59 AM
CG We do not expect any power struggle , We think Richard is aware that any offering needs the fans onboard so if he is in talks and we have no better knowledge than anyone else I would expect him to be open and engage with the fans. We would hope that all Hibs people would see the benefit of this.

That's our take but we cannot speak for Richard or anyone else.
Hibs are the most important issue and all we want is what's best for our club

Fair enough. My concern is that the timing of both the emergence of BuyHibs and the approach by Richard Skellet if there was one has been driven by each trying to get ahead of the other (and the club).

CropleyWasGod
05-12-2014, 08:32 AM

If STF, and the Board, are doing their job properly, part of their consultation with the fans will be through monitoring discussions on here and the Bounce. Although that isn't necessarily fully representative of the fan-base, it still provides a flavour of what the fans are concerned about.

Although most are in agreement about what is most important, the experiences of Hearts, Rangers and ourselves have led to a fairly high-level debate about matters other than just the team. That is good.

By reviewing those debates, the club will be better able to form their own plan, or to judge the plans of others.

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 08:50 AM
If STF, and the Board, are doing their job properly, part of their consultation with the fans will be through monitoring discussions on here and the Bounce. Although that isn't necessarily fully representative of the fan-base, it still provides a flavour of what the fans are concerned about.

Although most are in agreement about what is most important, the experiences of Hearts, Rangers and ourselves have led to a fairly high-level debate about matters other than just the team. That is good.

By reviewing those debates, the club will be better able to form their own plan, or to judge the plans of others.

It's a shame they never picked up on our concerns about the team over the last 7 years. :-(

I think the first sentence there is the key.

J-C
05-12-2014, 08:56 AM
It's a shame they never picked up on our concerns about the team over the last 7 years. :-(

I think the first sentence there is the key.

This is why both parties looking to buy Hibs are doing so, keeping us relatively debt free is all and good but the huge decline on the park is very worrying and something the board has chosen to ignore these last few years.

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Fact? No not really.

Andy74
05-12-2014, 09:14 AM
This is why both parties looking to buy Hibs are doing so, keeping us relatively debt free is all and good but the huge decline on the park is very worrying and something the board has chosen to ignore these last few years.

They haven't chosen to ignore it, that's just plain unhelpful to any debtate. They have made some bad decisions and some that just didn't turn out the way most of us would have expected. I beleive the intention has always been to try and put the best team possible out on the park though.

A new ownership model doesn't address how the people actually running the club make better decisions. I think the recent appointments and overhaul of the off the field stufff probably does go some way to get us back on the right track.

greenginger
05-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Don't want to bad mouth Richard Skellett as I have no idea of his personal circumstances but having looked up his company Allied Worldwide Ltd ( Annual T/O £ 12 million ) located at Network House, 48 Bridge Street , High Wycombe.

Looking at Google Street, I think his global headquarters are located next to the kebab shop !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6312429,-0.7573819,3a,75y,299.66h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soyBw8BqgLp6dhojJ1SnJwg!2e0

Can never be sure with addresses on Google maps, any Netters in that part of the world want to take a walk down the street and see exactly what the situation is with our potential new owner.

Andy74
05-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Don't want to bad mouth Richard Skellett as I have no idea of his personal circumstances but having looked up his company Allied Worldwide Ltd ( Annual T/O £ 12 million ) located at Network House, 48 Bridge Street , High Wycombe.

Looking at Google Street, I think his global headquarters are located next to the kebab shop !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6312429,-0.7573819,3a,75y,299.66h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soyBw8BqgLp6dhojJ1SnJwg!2e0

Can never be sure with addresses on Google maps, any Netters in that part of the world want to take a walk down the street and see exactly what the situation is with our potential new owner.

The turnover is more than Hibs to be fair, but that doesn't mean he has made sufficient profits to have the capacity to buy us.

His attempts on here were about as badly managed as the BuyHibs stuff though!

Don't see the point in going from one owner with cash to another with cash unless you also see them running the operations of the club and adding some value there. I'm quite happy with the operations of the club just now, though early days on that front.

greenginger
05-12-2014, 09:26 AM
The turnover is more than Hibs to be fair, but that doesn't mean he has made sufficient profits to have the capacity to buy us.

Don't see the point in going from one owner with cash to another with cash unless you also see them running the operations of the club and adding some value there. I'm quite happy with the operations of the club just now, though early days on that front.

Company profit after tax was £ 246,325.00.

Keith_M
05-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Company profit after tax was £ 246,325.00.

Anybody know what Hibs' profit was in recent years?

CropleyWasGod
05-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Anybody know what Hibs' profit was in recent years?

2013 profit £132k

2012 loss £957k.

Keith_M
05-12-2014, 09:32 AM
2013 profit £132k

2012 loss £957k.

Cheers.

So Allied Worldwide doesn't seem to be a massive company but it's fair to say it's bigger than Hibs, in terms of Turnover and Profit.

Sergio sledge
05-12-2014, 09:33 AM

It is the building directly across the road. (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6313102,-0.7572459,3a,75y,177.42h,90.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sechDs4Jp4__kfNTEhPWvUg!2e0)

Keith_M
05-12-2014, 09:36 AM
It is the building directly across the road. (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6313102,-0.7572459,3a,75y,177.42h,90.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sechDs4Jp4__kfNTEhPWvUg!2e0)

Side View with Sign (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6313482,-0.7570939,3a,75y,197.49h,92.87t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sekwJ0RgkJVNl4xT6WYr6ZQ!2e0)

Caversham Green
05-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Cheers.

So Allied Worldwide doesn't seem to be a massive company but it's fair to say it's bigger than Hibs, in terms of Turnover and Profit.

On the other hand, Farmer's business empire dwarfs both - not sure this really tells us anything. Profit certainly doesn't.

greenginger
05-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Side View with Sign (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6313482,-0.7570939,3a,75y,197.49h,92.87t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sekwJ0RgkJVNl4xT6WYr6ZQ!2e0)

Right, that's a bit more promising !

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 10:29 AM

I don't remember a time when you were ever unhappy about the way the club was being run?

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 10:32 AM

We are not even close to being relatively debt free. :-(

jacomo
05-12-2014, 10:35 AM
I don't remember a time when you were ever unhappy about the way the club was being run?

The definition of a happy clapper. Mustn't grumble!

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 10:35 AM
They haven't chosen to ignore it, that's just plain unhelpful to any debtate. They have made some bad decisions and some that just didn't turn out the way most of us would have expected. I beleive the intention has always been to try and put the best team possible out on the park though.

A new ownership model doesn't address how the people actually running the club make better decisions. I think the recent appointments and overhaul of the off the field stufff probably does go some way to get us back on the right track.

Maybe just having different people making these decisions will lead to better outcomes.
Your constant defence of the board which has us struggling 16 points of the pace in the championship has me baffled.

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 10:36 AM
The definition of a happy clapper. Mustn't grumble!

It may be more than happy clapping.

J-C
05-12-2014, 10:39 AM
We are not even close to being relatively debt free. :-(

Maybe should've made that clearer, not in as much debt as other clubs in Scotland, maybe not this past year or so but in general we're fairly healthy as a club, unless I've missed a few million here and there, out of curiosity, what is our debt at the moment??

Keith_M
05-12-2014, 10:44 AM
On the other hand, Farmer's business empire dwarfs both - not sure this really tells us anything. Profit certainly doesn't.

I make no judgement either way, it was just in response to a previous post.

grunt
05-12-2014, 10:47 AM
It may be more than happy clapping.What do you mean by that?

Andy74
Maybe just having different people making these decisions will lead to better outcomes.
Your constant defence of the board which has us struggling 16 points of the pace in the championship has me baffled.

There is a difference between making bad decisions and ignoring the team as was the allegation.

And no, I'm not really supporting the current board at all, I think it needs changed, with a new chairman preferably.

I do support the current executive and footbaling operations though, it seems to be creating the right set up to be succesful in the future.

Caversham Green
I make no judgement either way, it was just in response to a previous post.

Fair enough, I was really responding to the debate in general rather than your post specifically.

JimBHibees
05-12-2014, 10:49 AM

There have been fundamental changes to the way the club is being run with the complete overhaul of the Football department including how the Academy is run. Leeann Dempster has a reputation as one of the best Football executives in the country with a club who have on the park kicked our ass's for years on end.

These are huge changes which will take time and the people involved need to be given a proper chance to do their job to the best of their ability. IMO RP should leave and I genuinely hope that this is the next step and announced soon as his very presence doesnt help the perception of a new broom to some fans.

Keith_M
05-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Fair enough, I was really responding to the debate in general rather than your post specifically.

:aok:

No problem, I just wanted to make it clear I'm not trying to push Skellet as our saviour.

Some people on here (not you) have a way of reading too much into it when people start looking for facts or discussing things analytically.

It's like a minefield at times, though I'm sure you know that yourself :wink:

Andy74
05-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Okay, so if I have a point of view that is different to yours I must be up to something, is that right?

So is your cheerleading for Buy Hibs just a matter of interest to you in the same way or do you have anything to declare?

You are all over this stuff more than anyone else. That's fair enough so why suggest others have some agenda?

Mikey
05-12-2014, 10:53 AM
What do you mean by that?

It seems to be their defence mechanism at the moment. Anyone who's dead against it is working for the club!

grunt
05-12-2014, 10:53 AM
There have been fundamental changes to the way the club is being run with the complete overhaul of the Football department including how the Academy is run. Leeann Dempster has a reputation as one of the best Football executives in the country with a club who have on the park kicked our ass's for years on end.

These are huge changes which will take time and the people involved need to be given a proper chance to do their job to the best of their ability. IMO RP should leave and I genuinely hope that this is the next step and announced soon as his very presence doesnt help the perception of a new broom to some fans.I agree with all of this.

Keith_M
05-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Okay, so if I have a point of view that is different to yours I must be up to something, is that right?

So is your cheerleading for Buy Hibs just a matter of interest to you in the same way or do you have anything to declare?

You are all over this stuff more than anyone else. That's fair enough so why suggest others have some agenda?

Oh come on Andy, that's a bit rich.

You've been posting on here for years and never once thought it worthwhile to tell people you're actually STF's nephew.........

:wink:

Andy74
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Oh come on Andy, that's a bit rich.

You've been posting on here for years and never once thought it worthwhile to tell people you're actually STF's nephew.........

:wink:

Just asking the same question back!

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 10:58 AM
It seems to be their defence mechanism at the moment. Anyone who's dead against it is working for the club!

I'm not part of anything, thank you very much.

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 11:11 AM

I have absolutely nothing to declare other than I care about my club and I'm disgusted that it's been run in such as fashion that we find ourselves 16 points of the pace in the championship. I'm even more disgusted that none of the current board see this as a resigning issue.
I have no ties to BuyHibs at all. I attended one meeting and have pledged. That's it. Nothing else to declare.
What I am surprised at is the fact that you feel the need to attack this proposal at every turn. If it's not for you, you don't need to pledge. You've said yourself that you think it has no chance of success, yet you still keep up the attacks anyway. Why not just ignore it if it is dead in the water anyway?

BuyHibs
05-12-2014, 11:12 AM

I'm sorry I don't recall anything like this being said and not all supporters who are keen on change are working with us.

We are all Hibs supporters and we don't want a them and us.

Andy74
05-12-2014, 11:19 AM
I have absolutely nothing to declare other than I care about my club and I'm disgusted that it's been run in such as fashion that we find ourselves 16 points of the pace in the championship. I'm even more disgusted that none of the current board see this as a resigning issue.
I have no ties to BuyHibs at all. I attended one meeting and have pledged. That's it. Nothing else to declare.
What I am surprised at is the fact that you feel the need to attack this proposal at every turn. If it's not for you, you don't need to pledge. You've said yourself that you think it has no chance of success, yet you still keep up the attacks anyway. Why not just ignore it if it is dead in the water anyway?

So if that's your advice for me, if you support it why not just pledge and then leave it there?

I'm not attacking anything, I am questioning and being critical where there is a lack of clarity in what they are proposing. Like you I care about my club enough to want to ensure that anyone who wants to be involved in owning it is challenged appropriately.

I think clarity in the debate is important too and so where I see where they is a clear mixing up of issues such as ownership and day to day management then I will want to discuss that too.

Anyone einvolved in something like this should welcome the opportunity for it to be kept under the spotlight and should well prepared to provide the answers to the questions that will be raised. If you don't answer things people will keep asking, well, until they lose interest and just give it up as dead.

Beefster
05-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Out of order.

Ozyhibby
05-12-2014, 11:37 AM
So if that's your advice for me, if you support it why not just pledge and then leave it there?

I'm not attacking anything, I am questioning and being critical where there is a lack of clarity in what they are proposing. Like you I care about my club enough to want to ensure that anyone who wants to be involved in owning it is challenged appropriately.

I think clarity in the debate is important too and so where I see where they is a clear mixing up of issues such as ownership and day to day management then I will want to discuss that too.

Anyone einvolved in something like this should welcome the opportunity for it to be kept under the spotlight and should well prepared to provide the answers to the questions that will be raised. If you don't answer things people will keep asking, well, until they lose interest and just give it up as dead.

I wish you would challenge the people who currently own our club with the same vigour.
Maybe then we would not find ourselves in the situation we are in.

brog
05-12-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm sorry I don't recall anything like this being said and not all supporters who are keen on change are working with us

We are all Hibs supporters and we don't want a them and us.

Well said, I for one appreciate you taking the time to come on here & update us & answer the questions as openly as possible. Thanks!

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2014, 11:55 AM
I wish you would challenge the people who currently own our club with the same vigour.

Right out the ground for 6. :agree:

Andy74
05-12-2014, 11:58 AM

I'm not really keeping up with whether you are talking about the owner or people who have been running the club or people who are currently running the club. You are using them all interchangeably and it's a very important point to understand and have clarity on.

For what its worth Rod Petrie has been accountable at an executive level for the past few years as well as leading the board and he should be leving due to its recent performance. The change has been made at exec level and now it should be made at board level. There should also be other board changes and I've also made that clear.

I also challenged pretty early on the way that the last manager was running the football side of things.

I'm pleased to hear that my contribution could have saved us from this situation but sadly I don't think it would have, just as my personal thought and challenges on this don't matter either - the majority of fans will do what they want to do.

They should have the right facts to make the calls though.

silverhibee
05-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Not to sure about that Andy, our squad has been getting worse over the years, diluted is the word i would use, even Pat Stanton has spoke about the poor quality of players that have been coming through the doors at ER over the last few years, the amount of loan players that have been and gone over the years must be in high the figures and i can only think of a few that have been good for us, and then we had Butcher in his transfer window, he wanted Rooney and another player who's name escapes me (may have played for Motherwell at some point) who came in to a bit of form for his own team and probably why we lost out on him, and then boom we get three players on loan who we had never heard of and weren't very good, i can't even remember the names of two of them just the lad Watmore who started of brightly but then ended up injury prone and fading away as the season went on, so I'm not to sure if we have been trying to put out the best team possible on the park over the last few seasons, and if it is then it never worked as we fell into the Championship, hopefully things are starting to change with the quality of player we bring in under Stubbs and Dempster.

silverhibee
05-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Maybe should've made that clearer, not in as much debt as other clubs in Scotland, maybe not this past year or so but in general we're fairly healthy as a club, unless I've missed a few million here and there, out of curiosity, what is our debt at the moment??

Not to sure about that J-C, take away The Rangers, and what other club in Scotland has a bigger debt than us, pretty sure the figure being banded about is that we are £8m in debt and that could rise to possibly £10m when the next set of accounts are issued, unless STF gives us another loan to clear the last year of debt to make the accounts look a bit better.

silverhibee
05-12-2014, 12:36 PM

Who are you talking about here.?

Kaiser1962
05-12-2014, 01:24 PM

Straiton?

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Straiton?

That always made me laugh, he supposedly saved the club for the local community, then thought moving it to the other side of town might be good for it?

Kaiser1962
05-12-2014, 01:37 PM
That always made me laugh, he supposedly saved the club for the local community, then thought moving it to the other side of town might be good for it?

Think it was an option that was explored purely for financial reasons, nothing else. Bottom line is he didn't do it, although it probably suited him financially to do so.

Hearts were supposed to be going with us and comments in the past couple of weeks suggest they might still have to move. I don't think that applies to us.

Thecat23
05-12-2014, 02:18 PM
I honestly don't believe the board past god knows how many years had the best intention if getting the best team on the park. I think the board wanted to happily sit mid table in the SPL and thought we prob would as well. By not taking the odd risk on a good player rather than a journeyman (Jnr Agogo) to name just one has cost us very dearly. As most know Petrie was heavily involved in all those deals and when a managers first targets get laughed out they then get to pick from utter dross. The proof and hard facts are the results and performances.

Why he's still there shows exactly the man he is. Arrogant selfish and up his arse. Even guys who backed him have seemingly saw the light.

The positive is we are now finally going in the right direction under Leeann and Stubbs. It's taken us to be relegated for a slight change. If he goes more fans would return that I'm sure. Not thousands but his presence stops many folk coming. I don't think he'll leave until Farmer sells. Why would he? He's above everybody and doesn't see the real fans just walks about smiling like a fat smug cat in his land of Petrie I'm "amazing"

When he goes and we sell this club we will hopefully prosper and go onto better things.

Thecat23
05-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Think it was an option that was explored purely for financial reasons, nothing else. Bottom line is he didn't do it, although it probably suited him financially to do so.

Hearts were supposed to be going with us and comments in the past couple of weeks suggest they might still have to move. I don't think that applies to us.

Hearts were never coming with us. They had their own plans to build a stadium near the Gyle. Both fell through and thank god as well for our sakes.

Kaiser1962
05-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Hearts were never coming with us. They had their own plans to build a stadium near the Gyle. Both fell through and thank god as well for our sakes.

As it unfolded it looked less and less likely although it was considered and ground share would have been financially, if not emotionally, beneficial to both clubs.

Football, a business like no other :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2014, 06:32 PM
As it unfolded it looked less and less likely although it was considered and ground share would have been financially, if not emotionally, beneficial to both clubs.

Football, a business like no other :greengrin

And the community STF saved the club for would benefit with this move how?

Kaiser1962
05-12-2014, 06:36 PM
And the community STF saved the club for would benefit with this move how?

The only benefits were reduction of operating costs of both clubs. No benefit to Leith or Gorgie.

Caversham Green
05-12-2014, 07:25 PM

As I've said elsewhere, Straiton was an accountant's solution to the problems the club was suffering (as was the pieman's Murrayfield idea). It would have given the club the stadium it now has about 10 years earlier and without the attendant debt, just in a different location. .

With hindsight, I'm not so sure it would have been as disastrous as most people think, but the club would have lost a lot of its ethos. I suspect most of the fans would have travelled grudgingly to start with but less so if the team was successful. Down here Reading FC took the Straiton option (although there were a number of relevant differences) and both the club and the area they moved to have benefitted greatly - in fact I think it's probably the best move the club has made (apart from signing Tony Rougier obviously).

ekhibee
05-12-2014, 07:41 PM
The only issue I would have had about moving to Straiton would have been the travelling aspect for some fans (but not me). Otherwise I thought it was an interesting idea. A purpose-built brand new stadium for next to nothing would have been just fine as far as I'm concerned. I certainly had no problem whatsoever about ground-sharing either. I'd also be surprised if there's any kind of statistics regarding fans who rejected it at the time and now send post after post slagging off Farmer and all for not spending enough money nowadays. Still, we've moved on and we are where we are. At the moment we have the beginnings of a decent team, even if it's taken us being relegated to find that out. If Skellett is Globalhibby I actually thought he held his corner quite well when he was on here before, but I would need to know more detaill about his plans before I could really pass a considered opinion on it.

Kato
05-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I'd also be surprised if there's any kind of statistics regarding fans who rejected it at the time and now send post after post slagging off Farmer and all for not spending enough money nowadays.

I doubt there are many fans moaning about the amount of money Farmer has spent lately - it's the amount of his and our money that has been mis-spent, and I don't mean on the infrastructure.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2014, 08:18 PM
The only issue I would have had about moving to Straiton would have been the travelling aspect for some fans (but not me). Otherwise I thought it was an interesting idea. A purpose-built brand new stadium for next to nothing would have been just fine as far as I'm concerned. I certainly had no problem whatsoever about ground-sharing either. I'd also be surprised if there's any kind of statistics regarding fans who rejected it at the time and now send post after post slagging off Farmer and all for not spending enough money nowadays. Still, we've moved on and we are where we are. At the moment we have the beginnings of a decent team, even if it's taken us being relegated to find that out. If Skellett is Globalhibby I actually thought he held his corner quite well when he was on here before, but I would need to know more detaill about his plans before I could really pass a considered opinion on it.

Moving to straiton might have been an interesting idea, but it would have been a kick in the teeth for the people of Leith, the very reason STF apparently saved the club for?

jacomo
05-12-2014, 11:33 PM
I was delighted when Straiton got canned at the time and I'm still delighted about it today. In all the disappointments, Hibs have at least held on to Easter Road, surrounded by the community that supports the club.

ekhibee
06-12-2014, 01:21 AM
I was delighted when Straiton got canned at the time and I'm still delighted about it today. In all the disappointments, Hibs have at least held on to Easter Road, surrounded by the community that supports the club.
I have always supported Hibs, my entire life, and I don't come from Leith. There are PLENTY of Hearts fans in Leith too, so before you go on about 'the community that supports the club' remember that there's fans from other parts of Edinburgh who have shown just as much loyalty to the club over the years. You disagree with the Straiton proposal, fair enough, so did the majority and I obviously respect that.

bigwheel
06-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Moving to straiton might have been an interesting idea, but it would have been a kick in the teeth for the people of Leith, the very reason STF apparently saved the club for?

i can't think of anything interesting about sitting on the bypass every two weeks, and a drink in a brewers fayre before a game...delighted we remain based at ER....

Soulless out of town stadiums are poor imitations...

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2014, 09:43 AM
i can't think of anything interesting about sitting on the bypass every two weeks, and a drink in a brewers fayre before a game...delighted we remain based at ER....

Soulless out of town stadiums are poor imitations...

Thing is these days a lot of fans drive to ER, and have no real interest in the pubs in the vicinity of the stadium.

Jack
06-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Thing is these days a lot of fans drive to ER, and have no real interest in the pubs in the vicinity of the stadium.

Just as well cause most of the pubs around the ground are absolutely heavin before and after matches - there would be no room for them!!!

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2014, 10:05 AM
I have always supported Hibs, my entire life, and I don't come from Leith. There are PLENTY of Hearts fans in Leith too, so before you go on about 'the community that supports the club' remember that there's fans from other parts of Edinburgh who have shown just as much loyalty to the club over the years. You disagree with the Straiton proposal, fair enough, so did the majority and I obviously respect that.

And you choose to come to the Leith community where the club is based. The club was saved for the area and the good of the area and community. Hibs are a huge part of that community, its also a huge part of every Hibs fans life wherever they stay.

Moving the club would have been a huge kick in the knackers for Leith.

bigwheel
06-12-2014, 10:07 AM

It's not simply about the pubs. Our location has soul and character... near other city centre facilities..rather than the back of a retail park...

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2014, 10:10 AM
And you choose to come to the Leith community where the club is based. The club was saved for the area and the good of the area and community. Hibs are a huge part of that community, its also a huge part of every Hibs fans life wherever they stay.

Moving the club would have been a huge kick in the knackers for Leith.

I think some sense of perspective is needed here. Hibs fans spend more time looking at Leith, than Leithers spend looking at Hibs. The port has plenty else going for it than Hibs. If Easter Road is the only part of Leith you visit then you might think that's the be all and end all of it. It's not.

Ozyhibby
06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
I think we are staying Leith so it doesn't matter how good anywhere else might be.
Thank goodness.

jdships
06-12-2014, 10:53 AM
I think some sense of perspective is needed here. Hibs fans spend more time looking at Leith, than Leithers spend looking at Hibs. The port has plenty else going for it than Hibs. If Easter Road is the only part of Leith you visit then you might think that's the be all and end all of it. It's not.

Very well put and TRUE , especially the quote in bold !!!!!

banchoryhibs
21-10-2018, 01:47 PM
It's a bit strange that this story has resurfaced again given that STF very effectively managed our debt, that the club is in a rock solid financial position and that we're slowly heading for a 51% fan ownership. (Not getting there fast enough for my liking.)

See today's Sunday Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/messenger-to-mogul-with-a-burning-desire-to-buy-hibs-g6v23fdx7

I wonder if the timing has anything to do Wednesday's AGM?

Has anyone heard any whispers?:dunno:

Billy Whizz
21-10-2018, 01:51 PM
It's a bit strange that this story has resurfaced again given that STF very effectively managed our debt, that the club is in a rock solid financial position and that we're slowly heading for a 51% fan ownership. (Not getting there fast enough for my liking.)

See today's Sunday Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/messenger-to-mogul-with-a-burning-desire-to-buy-hibs-g6v23fdx7

I wonder if the timing has anything to do Wednesday's AGM?

Has anyone heard any whispers?:dunno:

I’ve got a restricted view😄, what’s it saying

Onceinawhile
21-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Nothing much, just reads like a cv of the boy involved who says he wants to buy hibs but 2014 wasn't the right time.

Hibs4185
21-10-2018, 02:02 PM
I’m sorry but sales of £12.4 million and profits of £147,000 isn’t enough to buy Hibs and make us financially secure.

A small investor maybe but not to buy from STF. Need someone with far richer pockets to give us the secure platform STF has without putting extra cash in.

erin-go-bragh87
21-10-2018, 02:03 PM

Richard Skellett felt awful when he had to tell staff that their pay packets would be short because a customer had failed to settle a bill on time.

He spoke individually to each of the 12 employees at his then three-year-old start-up, Allied Worldwide. “I wasn’t looking forward to it because I felt I had let them down,” said Skellett, “but they were amazing and supportive, and it was one of the most joyful experiences I’ve ever had in business. It brought me to tears.”

The company, founded in 1992, has grown into an international IT services supplier with customers such as Volkswagen, the hedge fund Man Group and retailer New Look. In its most recent accounts, for 2016, Allied posted sales of £12.4m and*pre-tax profits of £147,000.

Skellett grew up in the port town of Leith, Edinburgh. His father worked in a rubber factory and his mother took odd jobs. At 13, he began working 30 hours a week as a messenger boy for Mackay’s, an office stationery and furniture supplier. On one occasion, he was followed into a building by a crook who robbed the office at knifepoint.

He left Leith Academy at the age of 16 and worked full-time at Mackay’s. Skellett said the sales director, Hamish Ogilvy, “took me under his wing” and “helped me realise the dreams I was capable of having”.

Skellett moved on to the American office equipment giant Pitney Bowes, where he learnt sales, then switched to telecoms in the 1980s when the industry was liberalised under Margaret Thatcher.

While running a computer services arm of the media conglomerate Granada, Skellett grew his team from 15 to 1,500 people and earned as much as £80,000 a month thanks to incentives on the sale of bundled computer warranties.

He felt he had become “unemployable” because of his ambition: “I wanted to be creative and change the world, which doesn’t sit well in a corporate organisation.”

Skellett used his savings to start Allied and still owns 100% of the business as he has never taken outside investment. The fledgling boss quickly decided on an unorthodox business model: he would give his customers half the profits from each project, which they could use to invest in the next one. “That set us apart,” he said.

The company has grown to 700 staff in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, and Bangalore, though not without one or two bumps along the way. About three years ago, Skellett said, Allied lost $1m “by a fraud or a scam”, and as a result he “lost trust” in people.

He is also the founder of Globalution, a tech consultancy, and is about to launch Digital Anthropology, a social enterprise that aims to cultivate more working-class entrepreneurs.

In 2014, Skellett tried to buy his beloved Hibernian football club from Kwik-Fit founder Sir Tom Farmer when it ran into trouble with its banks. Farmer retained control, but Skellett still hankers after the Scottish Premiership club.

“I said from a young age that I would own Hibs — if you can build something and leave it behind, that helps you be remembered,” he said. “The timing wasn’t right in 2014, but I would definitely invest in that football club.”

Skellett splits his time between Edinburgh and Marlborough in Wiltshire, where he lives with his partner Georgina and their sons Richard, 8, and 4-year-old twins Charles and Benjamin. He also has two grown-up children from a previous relationship.

The chief executive advises entrepreneurs to find a mentor: “They can make your journey far quicker and easier.

erin-go-bragh87
21-10-2018, 02:03 PM
I’m sorry but sales of £12.4 million and profits of £147,000 isn’t enough to buy Hibs and make us financially secure.

A small investor maybe but not to buy from STF. Need someone with far richer pockets to give us the secure platform STF has without putting extra cash in.

I thought exactly the same when I read it.

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 02:16 PM
was this global hibby?

The Green Goblin
21-10-2018, 02:17 PM
was this global hibby?

Yes

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Yes

cheers ta, thought i recognised the name from when he was posting here

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2018, 02:19 PM
There is nothing to stop him making a contribution that would help the club, apart from wind and pish.

big gogs
21-10-2018, 02:27 PM
Fear not, we'll find out for you :greengrin
I was told 10 days ago the board were trying to sell the club to Dublin based Hibs fans,didn't believe it then ,don't believe it now,I'm happy to leave the club in the hands of Tom farmer, I understand he is not in good health ,I'm not casting any doubts about the integrity of any future owners,but does any know the globalhibby.

Onceinawhile
21-10-2018, 02:27 PM
was this global hibby?

That the boy who was going to put in 100,000 a month or some nonsense?

greenlex
21-10-2018, 02:29 PM
There is nothing to stop him making a contribution that would help the club, apart from wind and pish.
wind and pish would help the club?:greengrin

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 02:31 PM
That the boy who was going to put in 100,000 a month or some nonsense?

yip thats him

Hermit Crab
21-10-2018, 02:32 PM
was this global hibby?

Was that no him that claimed he was put off by criticism on here?

Ronniekirk
21-10-2018, 02:41 PM
He could become an Anon Donner like what Hearts have But he he clearly wants to Own the Club yet doesn't sound like he has the Wealth to significantly put in to improve us
Am always wary about Locsl Boy foes Good and wants to own Team he supported or support the Team from the Area they grew up in
Usually they want to be The Owner to the detriment of seeing the Bigger Picture
Thought the whole idea of Fans buying up Shares was so this couldn't Happen
I know it's just a story at present ,but it does bring us back to the question of what happens when S T F does go at some future point

stoneyburn hibs
21-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Was that no him that claimed he was put off by criticism on here?

Think so, it was bizarre.

Bishop Hibee
21-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Investor fine, owner no thanks.

Conrad Gray
21-10-2018, 02:56 PM
I was told 10 days ago the board were trying to sell the club to Dublin based Hibs fans,didn't believe it then ,don't believe it now,I'm happy to leave the club in the hands of Tom farmer, I understand he is not in good health ,I'm not casting any doubts about the integrity of any future owners,but does any know the globalhibby.

Hi, I know Globalhibby and have vouched for him on here in the past. He is genuinely Hibs minded.

Conrad Gray
21-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Think so, it was bizarre.

As I recall the criticism was a hell of lot more than was published on here and involved some rather unpleasant communications by other forms. I recall also being called various hearts related names for saying he was real. Not necessary

hibee_nation
21-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Once HSL get to 25% the future of ER is safe and will never be sold off. Once this is achieved i will feel a lot happier about ownership changing hands.

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Hi, I know Globalhibby and have vouched for him on here in the past. He is genuinely Hibs minded.

has he ever actually put serious money into the club?

Conrad Gray
21-10-2018, 03:03 PM
has he ever actually put serious money into the club?

I know he was prepared to, but don't know if he did.

stoneyburn hibs
21-10-2018, 03:03 PM
As I recall the criticism was a hell of lot more than was published on here and involved some rather unpleasant communications by other forms. I recall also being called various hearts related names for saying he was real. Not necessary

Definitely no need for that.

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 03:05 PM
I know he was prepared to, but don't know if he did.

was all a bit weird when he was posting on here, ive no doubt the guy is a fan but dont think he has the money to push us on, a wee cash injection would be nice though

The Green Goblin
21-10-2018, 03:07 PM

Well as I recall, people asked some perfectly reasonable questions in response to his vague, evasive posts in a polite and straightforward tone and the toys were thrown hysterically out the pram in all directions in a flash. Potential owner of the club? No thanks.

lucky
21-10-2018, 03:15 PM
It really all depends on his personal wealth. Clearly he’s a wealthy individual but whether he’s got £3m to buy Hibs and money to safeguard Hibs through the bad times remains to be seen. I will always be grateful to STF but maybe a change of ownership will bring additional investment.

SouthMoroccoStu
21-10-2018, 03:16 PM
It really all depends on his personal wealth. Clearly he’s a wealthy individual but whether he’s got £3m to buy Hibs and money to safeguard Hibs through the bad times remains to be seen. I will always be grateful to STF but maybe a change of ownership will bring additional investment.

Bingo

Conrad Gray
21-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Well as I recall, people asked some perfectly reasonable questions in response to his vague, evasive posts in a polite and straightforward tone and the toys were thrown hysterically out the pram in all directions in a flash. Potential owner of the club? No thanks.

You are basing his responses on what was in the public domain. There is more to the story.

Smartie
21-10-2018, 03:19 PM
It says in the article he was earning £80k a month for a while. If he did that for long enough then did something clever with it then he may well have a few bob.

We should be self-sufficient anyway, relying on someone to help out as a last resort. The sensible way we have been run under Farmer is the way that every club should aspire to be run.

Onceinawhile
21-10-2018, 03:22 PM
You are basing his responses on what was in the public domain. There is more to the story.

What else are we supposed to base it on?

Scotty Leither
21-10-2018, 03:31 PM
If there's not one wealthy individual out there that has the necessary funds to buy out Tom Farmer and Petrie, then surely it falls to our BoD to seek out individuals (similar to the ones that have put money into Aberdeen and that lot) with a view to leveraging up their stake over time to give them more say/control in tandem with Tom Farmer's heirs?

If that discussion can t be held in public at the AGM (for reasons i fully respect by the way), then what exactly encourages fans to continue to contribute to HSL to get us to the oft-quoted 25% shareholding, and then beyond that?

In summary, what does the future framework of the club look like? Not unreasonable questions i think, from a fan base that have ponied up in the past, continue to do so, and would just like a wee bit more information from our Board moving forward?

Viva_Palmeiras
21-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Was this the dude that naively thought he’d come one the forums as part of an opening gambit to invest in the club - yet appeared to be a little behind the curve with how to approach things or anticipate reaction from social media / online forums?

At at least Rod steers clear of the message boards :)

tamig
21-10-2018, 03:50 PM
It says in the article he was earning £80k a month for a while. If he did that for long enough then did something clever with it then he may well have a few bob.

We should be self-sufficient anyway, relying on someone to help out as a last resort. The sensible way we have been run under Farmer is the way that every club should aspire to be run.
I suspect STF has bailed us out to the tune of several £millions over his stewardship. Does that count as self sufficient? Additional investment always welcome.

superfurryhibby
21-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Surely it will take a lot more than £3million to buy the club? I have wondered what the market value of our club would be. I suppose you would need to factor in the debt owed to STF and the value of assets like East Mains.

grunt
21-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Surely it will take a lot more than £3million to buy the club? I have wondered what the market value of our club would be. I suppose you would need to factor in the debt owed to STF and the value of assets like East Mains.I don't know about market value, but net asset value of the club at June 2018 was £19.8m.

Smartie
21-10-2018, 04:10 PM
I suspect STF has bailed us out to the tune of several £millions over his stewardship. Does that count as self sufficient? Additional investment always welcome.

Undoubtedly he will have done, but thanks to his good work the club he passes on will be far more stable (and less likely to be in need of being bailed out) than the one he inherited (which was a basket case).

The first aim of his successor will be to avoid slipping back into bad habits.

Keith_M
21-10-2018, 04:18 PM
From what it says in the article, he doesn't appear to have any new plans to buy the club.

CropleyWasGod
21-10-2018, 04:48 PM
From what it says in the article, he doesn't appear to have any new plans to buy the club.You're right. It's a profile piece on him, of which the Hibs connection is a part.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Keith_M
21-10-2018, 04:51 PM
You're right. It's a profile piece on him, of which the Hibs connection is a part.

:aok:

Ozyhibby
21-10-2018, 04:51 PM
I’d be more interested in his plans for the club rather than worry about his personal wealth. We don’t really need outside investment (and definitely not if it is in the form of loans) we just need someone who know how to run a football club.
For me, just now that means letting Leeann Dempster carry on the work she is doing.
There are still things I think the board get wrong though like our turning a blind eye to Rangers cheating and allowing the LNS report to stand.
STF is not going to be here forever so it’s probably time to start planning for the future and finding out what else is out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunshineOnLeith
21-10-2018, 05:02 PM
I seem to recall his 'plan' to the extent it could even be called that basically involved him putting up a bit of money, then fans contributing towards him buying the club. He essentially wanted to buy Hibs with the fans' money, and when that was pointed out it was toys out the pram, youse all don't deserve me.

Peevemor
21-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Hi, I know Globalhibby and have vouched for him on here in the past. He is genuinely Hibs minded.So were David Duff & Jim Gray.

Hibs4185
21-10-2018, 05:51 PM
If I win the euromillions I’d happily do the STF role and ensure the club was safe for my lifetime. Maybe even fill in the corners and introduce a loyalty points system!

ian cruise
21-10-2018, 06:22 PM
was this global hibby?

There's been a few comments on here of late relsting to HSL that made me think global hibby was back undet a different name, or his inner circle were setting us up for another bid. The timing of this isn't a shock.

ancient hibee
21-10-2018, 06:24 PM
There's been a few comments on here of late relsting to HSL that made me think global hibby was back undet a different name, or his inner circle were setting us up for another bid. The timing of this isn't a shock.

The timing of what?

Barney McGrew
21-10-2018, 06:52 PM
The timing of what?

I assume he’s referring to the AGM on Wednesday?

ian cruise
21-10-2018, 06:58 PM
The timing of what?

The article and critical postings seem to be right in time for the AGM, stir up some discontent amongst fans then present us with a seemingly "White Knight" to step in after AGM.

CropleyWasGod
21-10-2018, 07:12 PM
The article and critical postings seem to be right in time for the AGM, stir up some discontent amongst fans then present us with a seemingly "White Knight" to step in after AGM.Not sure the Sunday Times would be the appropriate place to "stir up some discontent". I'm not even sure that there is much discontent to be stirred up.... And that article, which is about him not Hibs, doesn't stir up anything IMO, other than a discussion of him and his history.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-10-2018, 07:21 PM

Will that be the profits that are innovatively shared with customers? So less than £75k?

Jack
21-10-2018, 08:01 PM
I don't remember us being "in trouble" with the banks.

It was well known at the time the banks wanted out of football in general but that there was no issues between Hibs and our bankers. STF took advantage of the banks nervousness towards football and negotiated a deal which, given it went through, both parties were happy with.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2018, 08:17 PM
I don't remember us being "in trouble" with the banks.

It was well known at the time the banks wanted out of football in general but that there was no issues between Hibs and our bankers. STF took advantage of the banks nervousness towards football and negotiated a deal which, given it went through, both parties were happy with.

The Banks were desperate for cash and we helped them out. It was the right thing to do for the country. Proud of Hibs.[emoji6]

The Green Goblin
21-10-2018, 08:18 PM
I seem to recall his 'plan' to the extent it could even be called that basically involved him putting up a bit of money, then fans contributing towards him buying the club. He essentially wanted to buy Hibs with the fans' money, and when that was pointed out it was toys out the pram, youse all don't deserve me.

In a nutshell.

Dashing Bob S
21-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Like most rich men, I'm sure he has quite a few Skelletons in his cupboard.

Woodrow
21-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Out of the frying pan into the fire ? ... or is it the other way about ? 🍳🍳🍳

CropleyWasGod
21-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Out of the frying pan into the fire ? ... or is it the other way about ? [emoji505][emoji505][emoji505]He always wanted to conquer Castle Greyskull.

wookie70
21-10-2018, 09:10 PM
It's not simply about the pubs. Our location has soul and character... near other city centre facilities..rather than the back of a retail park...
we are at the back of a retail park. lol Straiton would be easier for me but Easter Road has the best of all worlds. Great Stadium, Historic and meaningful location and brilliant transport links along with loads of parking options. Straiton may have made sense at the time to number crunchers but football, while ruled by money, is about so much more.

hibsfan7
21-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Anyone know what the situation is with the mortgages on the stadium? Are they interest only? Just asking as it'll be 25 years since we built the FF and South in a couple of years time. Are we going to have to set up a new mortgage on them? Cannae see that helping us much...

CropleyWasGod
21-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Anyone know what the situation is with the mortgages on the stadium? Are they interest only? Just asking as it'll be 25 years since we built the FF and South in a couple of years time. Are we going to have to set up a new mortgage on them? Cannae see that helping us much...We don't have any mortgages. The only debt we have is the loan from the holding company.

sauzee=legend
21-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Anyone know what the situation is with the mortgages on the stadium? Are they interest only? Just asking as it'll be 25 years since we built the FF and South in a couple of years time. Are we going to have to set up a new mortgage on them? Cannae see that helping us much...

The FF and south are 25 years old - wow, that went fast!

ian cruise
21-10-2018, 09:48 PM
Not sure the Sunday Times would be the appropriate place to "stir up some discontent". I'm not even sure that there is much discontent to be stirred up.... And that article, which is about him not Hibs, doesn't stir up anything IMO, other than a discussion of him and his history.

I meant the posting was stirring up discontent and the article was convenient that it came about promoting someone who wants to buy the club when others are trying to discredit the intentions behind HSL. Possibly just a coincidence.

Eyrie
21-10-2018, 10:06 PM
I assume he’s referring to the AGM on Wednesday?

There isn't a "Richard Skellett" listed as a shareholder if you look at Companies House, so would he be able to attend?

hibsfan7
21-10-2018, 10:09 PM

Sure it was '95 they were built. 23 years - whoosh!

Leithenhibby
21-10-2018, 10:16 PM

We are all genuinely, Hibs minded...
GGTTH

hibsfan7
21-10-2018, 10:17 PM
We don't have any mortgages. The only debt we have is the loan from the holding company.

And this loan paid for rebuilding the stadium? Any idea what the terms were and what's outstanding? Or would you know where I can find the info?

Tornadoes70
21-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Like most rich men, I'm sure he has quite a few Skelletons in his cupboard.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Tornadoes70
21-10-2018, 10:34 PM
Sir Tom's stewardship has been amazing. From the tragedy that was Duff and Gray who would probably both admit they were to the improbable Skol Cup win and most recent capture of the Holy Grail. He's been a winner in business from an early age and has delivered a Hibernian success story. A legend and hopefully won't be remembered as the golden era but the pre cursor to ongoing success. God Bless Sir Tom Farmer.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Jamesie
22-10-2018, 04:30 AM

Not until 2020.

Jamesie
22-10-2018, 04:34 AM
And this loan paid for rebuilding the stadium? Any idea what the terms were and what's outstanding? Or would you know where I can find the info?

All details of our existing debt can be found here: http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5132

Put short, as matters stand we will be debt free by 2025, stadium included.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2018, 06:35 AM
And this loan paid for rebuilding the stadium? Any idea what the terms were and what's outstanding? Or would you know where I can find the info?The loan replaced the various loans and mortgages that we had.

At the end of June, it was just under £3.5m, repayable (broadly) at £500k pa, interest free.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2018, 06:36 AM
There isn't a "Richard Skellett" listed as a shareholder if you look at Companies House, so would he be able to attend?There are many nominee shareholders, and it is possible that he may be behind one or more of them.

BILLYHIBS
22-10-2018, 06:58 AM
Sir Tom's stewardship has been amazing. From the tragedy that was Duff and Gray who would probably both admit they were to the improbable Skol Cup win and most recent capture of the Holy Grail. He's been a winner in business from an early age and has delivered a Hibernian success story. A legend and hopefully won't be remembered as the golden era but the pre cursor to ongoing success. God Bless Sir Tom Farmer.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

The Sir Tom Farmer Stand or STF to go along with the FF has a certain ring to it :wink:

cocteautwin
22-10-2018, 07:13 AM
700 employees and only £12m turnover? Something doesn't add up there.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2018, 07:18 AM
700 employees and only £12m turnover? Something doesn't add up there.It's possible that most of them will be in India.

cocteautwin
22-10-2018, 07:22 AM
It's possible that most of them will be in India.

I suppose it's feasible . . . . . 600 Indian employees getting paid £5k p.a. is only £3m. Hmmm. £12m Turnover is not a massive Company.

Greenworld
22-10-2018, 07:59 AM
And this loan paid for rebuilding the stadium? Any idea what the terms were and what's outstanding? Or would you know where I can find the info?0% interest rate 3.5 million debt
Paid at 500k per year
Ground and training facilities fully owned by hibs .
I can't quite recall the numbers but I'm sure we also have a healthy cash reserve

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Greenworld
22-10-2018, 08:07 AM
I suppose being realistic the club should be starting the process of looking for a nice rich new owner
Sir Tom has been fantastic but with his failing health now would be the right time to hand over the responsibility of ownership.
With some genuine investment it would be great to see how far NL could take us .

greenlex
22-10-2018, 08:17 AM
we are at the back of a retail park. lol Straiton would be easier for me but Easter Road has the best of all worlds. Great Stadium, Historic and meaningful location and brilliant transport links along with loads of parking options. Straiton may have made sense at the time to number crunchers but football, while ruled by money, is about so much more.
You’re stretching it claiming brilliant transport links. I got home quicker from Dens park than I did from Easter Road and it’s much further away.

PatHead
22-10-2018, 08:33 AM
You’re stretching it claiming brilliant transport links. I got home quicker from Dens park than I did from Easter Road and it’s much further away.

Got to disagree about transport links. I can walk to Easter Road in 15 minutes. not a hope in hell of doing that to Dundee.

wookie70
22-10-2018, 08:35 AM

Surely you just choose a different wardrobe door and you will be home in no time.

It takes me around 35-40 minutes to get back to Newtongrange by car. That is a 9 mile journey and includes the time to walk to the car. I've seen me sitting in the car in the St Johnstone car park for around that amount of time after a game having been charged a fiver to park. Sometimes it not far off half an hours walk getting back to the car from Hampden and then it takes an age from there. Plenty buses near ER, one of them will take you to the airport and only a 25 minute walk to a station that will take you most places in Britain.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2018, 08:45 AM
I suppose it's feasible . . . . . 600 Indian employees getting paid £5k p.a. is only £3m. Hmmm. £12m Turnover is not a massive Company.

The 2016 accounts, particularly Note 7, give more information about the employee costs.

RS himself had an income of about £100k from that group of companies in that year.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02728115/filing-history

cocteautwin
22-10-2018, 09:20 AM
The 2016 accounts, particularly Note 7, give more information about the employee costs.

RS himself had an income of about £100k from that group of companies in that year.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02728115/filing-history

Probably a bit of an exaggeration from the journalist to say there are 600 employees (only 132 according to those accounts). One would hope his business has undertaken a massive expansion in the past 18 months if he has ambitions to take over Hibs.

I think we’d all feel a lot more comfortable if the person who was taking over Hibs was in a similar situation to Farmer or Budge who had sold and realised businesses rather than relying on a month to month income from a group of Companies with £12m annual Turnover, tight margins and net assets of only £1.3m when £1.7m is shown in Land & Buildings.

I hope he has a stack of assets from previous or other ventures.

Scary stuff.

Peevemor
22-10-2018, 09:28 AM
I have a client (total dick) who brags about having thousands of employees throughout France - it's an interim recruitment agency and in reality only 40-50 work directly for him.

Jack
22-10-2018, 09:34 AM
The guy can't possibly be serious about buying Hibs, he didn't build up a decent business by being as thick as his grannys mince.

We're getting to a position were it will be impossible for any one person to own Hibs in the future. That's off the agenda.

He's maybe already got a chunk of shares and if he seriously wants to see Hibs do well and is genuine his previous suggestion of pumping money in could be done through HSL.

We'll see what happens but I'm not holding my breath.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2018, 09:56 AM
It takes me around 35-40 minutes to get back to Newtongrange by car. That is a 9 mile journey and includes the time to walk to the car.

Can you let me know where you park and which route you take home please mate?

hibsfan7
22-10-2018, 10:04 AM
The loan replaced the various loans and mortgages that we had.

At the end of June, it was just under £3.5m, repayable (broadly) at £500k pa, interest free.

Cheers for that.

J-C
22-10-2018, 10:14 AM

I stay in Portobello and it can take 30-45 mins to get home on the 49 and that was before the new detours, Sleigh Dr all the way through Craigentinny is nose to tail.

J-C
22-10-2018, 10:16 AM
I suppose being realistic the club should be starting the process of looking for a nice rich new owner
Sir Tom has been fantastic but with his failing health now would be the right time to hand over the responsibility of ownership.
With some genuine investment it would be great to see how far NL could take us .

Is Sir Tom's son not heavily involved, would he not be seen as a natural successor.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Is Sir Tom's son not heavily involved, would he not be seen as a natural successor.

He may be involved in STF's other businesses, but has no involvement with Hibs AFAIK.

NAE NOOKIE
22-10-2018, 10:24 AM

:agree:

If he tells you, can you tell me …. I presume he goes by Sheriffhall and it takes at least 45 minutes to get that far from ER these days :confused:

wookie70
22-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Sainsbury's car park, up through the park, Liberton then home. I sit at the Dunbar End of the West so takes no time to get back to the car and as long as you park well in Sainsburys you are on the road very quickly. I always stay until the final whistle too.

NAE NOOKIE
22-10-2018, 10:53 AM
If there's not one wealthy individual out there that has the necessary funds to buy out Tom Farmer and Petrie, then surely it falls to our BoD to seek out individuals (similar to the ones that have put money into Aberdeen and that lot) with a view to leveraging up their stake over time to give them more say/control in tandem with Tom Farmer's heirs?

If that discussion can t be held in public at the AGM (for reasons i fully respect by the way), then what exactly encourages fans to continue to contribute to HSL to get us to the oft-quoted 25% shareholding, and then beyond that?

In summary, what does the future framework of the club look like? Not unreasonable questions i think, from a fan base that have ponied up in the past, continue to do so, and would just like a wee bit more information from our Board moving forward?

A question I have asked time and again for over two years now, with this being the response :tumble:

When I do ask the question it even fails to provoke a discussion on here and that I do find surprising. What it seems we are heading towards is a club where nobody has overall control and in that scenario there has to be a robust structure which will enable the people running Hibs to work harmoniously and efficiently for the good of the club.

With that time getting ever closer I for one would like to be given at least some idea of how this will be achieved …. as a shareholder in my own right and now a contributor to HSL and simply as a fan of the club I don't think its unreasonable to be looking for answers. As Brexit has shown only too well you can create one unholy mess if you fail to plan ahead … maybe Hibs are doing that, but I for one would like some idea of what that plan is.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2018, 10:56 AM
:agree:

If he tells you, can you tell me …. I presume he goes by Sheriffhall and it takes at least 45 minutes to get that far from ER these days :confused:

I stay in Portobello and it can take 30-45 mins to get home on the 49 and that was before the new detours, Sleigh Dr all the way through Craigentinny is nose to tail.

I’m looking forward to finding out. I suspect he’s using a helicopter. :hilarious

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Sainsbury's car park, up through the park, Liberton then home. I sit at the Dunbar End of the West so takes no time to get back to the car and as long as you park well in Sainsburys you are on the road very quickly. I always stay until the final whistle too.

:aok: I parked there a few times last season and have been out of the habit this season. Will try again next time.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2018, 11:10 AM
]A question I have asked time and again for over two years now, with this being the response :tumble:
[/B]
When I do ask the question it even fails to provoke a discussion on here and that I do find surprising. What it seems we are heading towards is a club where nobody has overall control and in that scenario there has to be a robust structure which will enable the people running Hibs to work harmoniously and efficiently for the good of the club.

With that time getting ever closer I for one would like to be given at least some idea of how this will be achieved …. as a shareholder in my own right and now a contributor to HSL and simply as a fan of the club I don't think its unreasonable to be looking for answers. As Brexit has shown only too well you can create one unholy mess if you fail to plan ahead … maybe Hibs are doing that, but I for one would like some idea of what that plan is.

Probably because no-one on here knows.

Bad Martini
22-10-2018, 11:31 AM
I'd be surprised after all these earth shattering revelations on here and concerns are any real surprise to STF.

He has amassed more than £130m over his 78 years on this planet and is from Leith. He is by definition, nae mug.

I'm sure he'll not have forgotten that his investment in Hibs will one day need thought and you can bet after the (many at times :rolleyes:) gratuitous and thankful posts and comments over the years from some seriously ungrateful folk on here and elsewhere, he will know the score.

As I say, he's nae mug. Going through all that over a number of years, regardless of whether he's football minded or not, he's been in for the long haul. He's put in plenty cash and backed where we needed it and regardless of spin, bull****, those in the know or anything else, the facts remain that without him, to varying degrees down the years, we'd be a very different club if a club at all.

I'm happy to trust that after all this time, he's not about to sell out/up and make a big arse of things as his legacy :flag::agree:

greenginger
22-10-2018, 11:34 AM
A question I have asked time and again for over two years now, with this being the response :tumble:

Once all the new share issue is taken up, I see the various holdings as HFC Holding Ltd ( STF + RP ) 48%, individual share holders including the various anonymous holding companies 27 %, HSL 25 %.

I think the HFC will be managed by trustees and will not vote on the day to day matters of the club.

Anyone wanting to take control will have to convince HSL and some of the individual share holders that they are the right people for the club.

Hopefully, there are persons with the ability and means within the shareholding group who can work together for the betterment and security of the Club.

basehibby
22-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Cheers.

It would be wrong to judge the size of the company purely on profit margins. Companies will routinely re-invest profits in deductible ways so as to reduce the tax bill.

For example - Ed Sheeran reportedly paid more tax last year than both Amazon and Starbucks. This is not to excuse Amazon and Starbucks from shirking their responsibilities through their blatantly parasitical tax avoidance - but they are acting within the letter of the law, presumably at the direction of armies of tax accountants who's job it is to make their profits and so, their tax bill as low as possible.

NAE NOOKIE
22-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Probably because no-one on here knows.

And that is the point I am making. As you say nobody seems to know and the fact that the fans don't seem too bothered about that is what has me scratching my head.

There is going to come a time when all of the shares are under the control of a number of potentially disparate groups and as this forum proves all too often, just because we are all bound by a mutual love of Hibs it in no way means we all agree what's best for the club or which direction it should go in, in view of which its not outwith the bounds of possibility that a decision has to be made affecting the club where for example STF or the heirs of STF's shareholding are totally at odds with HSL.

Even if STF's stake in the club is the largest by say 20% over anybody else and that enables him or his successors to carry any vote, what if that outcome creates bad blood between them and HSL, how does that get resolved? That aside, how are HSL even going to decide which way to cast a vote, they surely cant ballot their members every time there's a decision to be made, so what do they do? They will soon be able to appoint a director to sit on the board, will that director have total autonomy to cast votes as he or she sees fit and what if that vote isn't to the liking of the HSL members? …. look at the flack the fans reps get on here, two people who in reality have far less influence and responsibility than a director appointed to represent HSL will.

Will that director be in a paid post or will he or she be a volunteer, and if it is a paid post who will pay them, Hibs or HSL? …. If the experience of the fans reps is anything to go by I would imagine HSL would run out of volunteers pretty quickly.

You cant have a football club run at board level entirely by volunteers and as it stands at the moment that is practically what we have, even the chairman doesn't take a salary. If pressure from HSL over any issue was to force RP to walk away will that leave STF in the position of having to pay someone out of his own pocket to represent his interest in the club? … not a situation he would be very happy with I would imagine.

And on and on it goes … These and a hundred other possible scenarios are something we need to be looking at before the event and as things stand the supporters and shareholders, both private and through HSL, are totally in the dark as to how Hibs plan to address any potential problems, or even as things stand what the structure of the club is going to look like.

I don't know about anybody else but that concerns me and I'm getting a bit past the stage of accepting 'don't worry its all going to work out, we know what we're doing' as an acceptable answer …….. show me the plan !!!

Keith_M
22-10-2018, 12:28 PM

I have a feeling people are confused a bit, because of the title of this thread.

The thread was started four years ago and the only thing that's happened recently was that there was an article about the same guy in the paper.

There is no new takeover bid.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2018, 12:49 PM
And that is the point I am making. As you say nobody seems to know and the fact that the fans don't seem too bothered about that is what has me scratching my head.

There is going to come a time when all of the shares are under the control of a number of potentially disparate groups and as this forum proves all too often, just because we are all bound by a mutual love of Hibs it in no way means we all agree what's best for the club or which direction it should go in, in view of which its not outwith the bounds of possibility that a decision has to be made affecting the club where for example STF or the heirs of STF's shareholding are totally at odds with HSL.

Even if STF's stake in the club is the largest by say 20% over anybody else and that enables him or his successors to carry any vote, what if that outcome creates bad blood between them and HSL, how does that get resolved? That aside, how are HSL even going to decide which way to cast a vote, they surely cant ballot their members every time there's a decision to be made, so what do they do? They will soon be able to appoint a director to sit on the board, will that director have total autonomy to cast votes as he or she sees fit and what if that vote isn't to the liking of the HSL members? …. look at the flack the fans reps get on here, two people who in reality have far less influence and responsibility than a director appointed to represent HSL will.

Will that director be in a paid post or will he or she be a volunteer, and if it is a paid post who will pay them, Hibs or HSL? …. If the experience of the fans reps is anything to go by I would imagine HSL would run out of volunteers pretty quickly.

You cant have a football club run at board level entirely by volunteers and as it stands at the moment that is practically what we have, even the chairman doesn't take a salary. If pressure from HSL over any issue was to force RP to walk away will that leave STF in the position of having to pay someone out of his own pocket to represent his interest in the club? … not a situation he would be very happy with I would imagine.

And on and on it goes … These and a hundred other possible scenarios are something we need to be looking at before the event and as things stand the supporters and shareholders, both private and through HSL, are totally in the dark as to how Hibs plan to address any potential problems, or even as things stand what the structure of the club is going to look like.

I don't know about anybody else but that concerns me and I'm getting a bit past the stage of accepting 'don't worry its all going to work out, we know what we're doing' as an acceptable answer …….. show me the plan !!!

The AGM would be a better place to ask those questions than here.

ancient hibee
22-10-2018, 12:56 PM
As far as I know there is no “new share issue”only the issuing of shares to HSL as they come up with cash.In my opinion there is no chance that the holding company’s shareholding will be allowed to fall below 51%.

MrSmith
22-10-2018, 01:52 PM

How many pit stops did you have en-route home :aok: :party:

jacomo
22-10-2018, 05:16 PM
As far as I know there is no “new share issue”only the issuing of shares to HSL as they come up with cash.In my opinion there is no chance that the holding company’s shareholding will be allowed to fall below 51%.

I think this is an interesting one because at launch I think a potential 51% was offered for sale.

STF had a change of heart?

HibeeHibernian4
22-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Not got much to comment on the Skellett story itself, but genuinely alarming reading people in 2014 not being against the idea of moving Hibs from Leith. The day it happens is the day I stop supporting this club. Aberdeen are selling their home and their soul to play in some soulless barn miles out of the city centre, god help us if that happens to Hibs too.

greenginger
22-10-2018, 05:22 PM
I think this is an interesting one because at launch I think a potential 51% was offered for sale.

STF had a change of heart?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6327

Yep, 51% available to the fans.

Not seen anything to change that.

jacomo
22-10-2018, 05:28 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6327

Yep, 51% available to the fans.

Not seen anything to change that.

Yes, but at the moment there are no shares available to buy except through HSL. So if 51% is still the target STF is happy with a very gradual process.

PatHead
22-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Yes, but at the moment there are no shares available to buy except through HSL. So if 51% is still the target STF is happy with a very gradual process.

I suspect that the uptake for shares was a lot lower than expected. This was probably due to the need for financial advice.

superfurryhibby
22-10-2018, 06:36 PM
I suspect that the uptake for shares was a lot lower than expected. This was probably due to the need for financial advice.

I bought my shares without financial advice. It wasn’t a prerequisite.

Vini1875
22-10-2018, 06:47 PM

So did I, didn't think I needed it given I wasn't going to be selling them. The lack of input from huge numbers of fans I am sure has more to do with already being in safe hands with STF. Possibly if we had been up against the way hearts were there would have been more of desperate need and so more would have chipped in.

jabis
22-10-2018, 06:53 PM

Popcorn at the ready,I know it's 2014.........but saying the only reason Sir Tom saved the club was to kick the teeth of leithers.........no.:greengrin

jabis
22-10-2018, 07:06 PM

Popcorn going down a great.

Edit...Glad to see this got explained to hibsfanny

greenginger
22-10-2018, 07:50 PM

The Club has a total number of authorised shares of 125 million , of which 98.6 million have been issued.

HSL has about 12 million at present and if it is to achieve its targeted 25 % of the Club ( 31.25 million shares ) , it will have to purchase a further another 19.25 million shares.

That leaves only 7.15 million shares available for non HSL purchase.

Perhaps the board are giving the various large scale purchasers time to form alliances before opening the general offer again.

nonshinyfinish
22-10-2018, 07:54 PM

So did I, didn't think I needed it given I wasn't going to be selling them. The lack of input from huge numbers of fans I am sure has more to do with already being in safe hands with STF. Possibly if we had been up against the way hearts were there would have been more of desperate need and so more would have chipped in.

Were you existing shareholders?

I'm 99% certain that new shareholders were required to get the appliction signed off by an IFA. I got the details of a friendly IFA on here who did it for nothing but the love of the Hibees, but otherwise it would have cost more than the shares themselves.

I would imagine some would-be shareholders were put off by this. Obviously the option to contribute to HSL is always there, but personally I wanted the novelty of actually owning a bit of the club.

nonshinyfinish
22-10-2018, 07:58 PM
98.6 million have been issued

0.00507% of them are mine. :flag:

ancient hibee
22-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Were you existing shareholders?

I'm 99% certain that new shareholders were required to get the appliction signed off by an IFA. I got the details of a friendly IFA on here who did it for nothing but the love of the Hibees, but otherwise it would have cost more than the shares themselves.

I would imagine some would-be shareholders were put off by this. Obviously the option to contribute to HSL is always there, but personally I wanted the novelty of actually owning a bit of the club.
You’re right and wrong.When the shares were first launched there was an advice requirement .There was a poor uptake and there was a re launch with no advice required.

Baader
22-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Own shares and did not see an IFA. I knew what I was getting into. It's not like I'll ever sell them so am not bothered by their value.

nonshinyfinish
22-10-2018, 08:04 PM
You’re right and wrong.When the shares were first launched there was an advice requirement .There was a poor uptake and there was a re launch with no advice required.

Fair enough, I missed the second launch.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Own shares and did not see an IFA. I knew what I was getting into. It's not like I'll ever sell them so am not bothered by their value.

You weren’t allowed to do this at the first launch though - whether you knew what you were getting into or not.

PatHead
22-10-2018, 08:23 PM

The original share offer came out just after legislation came into force protecting small investors in unlisted companies. Before the legislation changed unscrupulous companies would do things like make share issues for cash only with no certificates. This type of behaviour was blocked by the legislation.

Although this would not normally affect football supporters as we don’t buy looking to make a profit, the club followed the rules to the letter. I am not sure how they managed to get around the rules the second time.

That issue was not a great success either.

PatHead
22-10-2018, 08:27 PM
You weren’t allowed to do this at the first launch though - whether you knew what you were getting into or not.

You were if you already owned shares.

ancient hibee
22-10-2018, 08:28 PM
The original share offer came out just after legislation came into force protecting small investors in unlisted companies. Before the legislation changed unscrupulous companies would do things like make share issues for cash only with no certificates. This type of behaviour was blocked by the legislation.

Although this would not normally affect football supporters as we don’t buy looking to make a profit, the club followed the rules to the letter. I am not sure how they managed to get around the rules the second time.

That issue was not a great success either.
Surely no Edinburgh football club would ever take money for shares without issuing certificates.:greengrin

PatHead
22-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Surely no Edinburgh football club would ever take money for shares without issuing certificates.:greengrin

And no idiot would encourage their children to miss Christmas, empty their piggy banks and give it all to a dodgy Lith.

Baader
22-10-2018, 08:53 PM

I was. I already had some. Think that was only applicable for the first launch though and didn't apply afterwards.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2018, 08:58 PM
I was. I already had some. Think that was only applicable for the first launch though and didn't apply afterwards.

Sorry I thought you meant you bought them in the first launch not that you were a previous owner adding to their holding.

FilipinoHibs
22-10-2018, 09:28 PM

He essentially wrote off 3.5 million when converting half our debt to shares having paid off the bank. 3.5 million remains as mortgage. Is it zero percent interest?

ancient hibee
22-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Yes.Interest free.

Ozyhibby
23-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Hard to ask when STF is sitting there. Seems a bit disrespectful.
But it needs asked I suppose. It would be nice to know there was at least a plan and roughly what it was.

NAE NOOKIE
23-10-2018, 03:45 PM

Hard to ask when STF is sitting there. Seems a bit disrespectful.
But it needs asked I suppose. It would be nice to know there was at least a plan and roughly what it was.

Aye CWG … But the current discussion is on here so I reckon I can do both if I want :greengrin

Ozy …. I get the sentiment, but in all honesty the road to hell is paved with unasked questions, if the fans are going to be genuine part owners of the club we have a responsibility to ask questions no matter how 'disrespectful' they might seem …. As a highly successful business man I'm sure nobody understands that better than STF.

CropleyWasGod
23-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Aye CWG … But the current discussion is on here so I reckon I can do both if I want :greengrin

Ozy …. I get the sentiment, but in all honesty the road to hell is paved with unasked questions, if the fans are going to be genuine part owners of the club we have a responsibility to ask questions no matter how 'disrespectful' they might seem …. As a highly successful business man I'm sure nobody understands that better than STF.

My point is, though, that we can "discuss"all we want on here. Nobody on here actually knows the answers, (or, if they do, they're probably sworn to secrecy meantime) so it is all hot air and speculation.

Perhaps a better way, rather than the AGM, would be through somebody like Working Together.

nonshinyfinish
23-10-2018, 03:50 PM
the road to hell is paved with unasked questions

I thought it was good intentions. Have they resurfaced it recently?