PDA

View Full Version : Budgie

Pretty Boy
03-12-2014, 08:04 PM
63 today.

What a character. Exactly what we needed at the time.

Happy Birthday to him.

sleeping giant
03-12-2014, 08:06 PM
McCoist yet*****. Hatley ,you come into my box and I'll break your back

sleeping giant
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Happy Birthday Budgie.
One of my favourite Goalies .

pacorosssco
03-12-2014, 08:08 PM
63 today.

Happy Birthday to him.

:top marks

Aldo
03-12-2014, 08:15 PM
63 god didn't think he was that old mind you he was at us when he was bout 40.

Thought he was brilliant and some character.

Mr White
03-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Get him back for the half time draw!

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2014, 08:18 PM
A complete nutter. I always remember a piece he did with Football Focus on Grandstand in which he said he puts his full kit on to watch Match Of The Day :-D

Happy birthday!

Pretty Boy
03-12-2014, 08:20 PM
63 god didn't think he was that old mind you he was at us when he was bout 40.

Thought he was brilliant and some character.

40 when he signed for us.

And he still managed to amass another 21 clubs after leaving. Retired at 47. Remember him playing a few games for Aberdeen at about 44 and he was outstanding.

Aldo
03-12-2014, 08:23 PM
40 when he signed for us. And he still managed to amass another 21 clubs after leaving. Retired at 47. Remember him playing a fee games for Aberdeen at about 44 and he was outstanding.

I thought he did superb for us tbh especially after we had Goram.

Him and Murdo steadied the ship sort to speak.

trev the hat
03-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Behind budgies goal that night at Hampden 2nd half against the huns he was quality, good memories of Budgie, happy birthday !! one of a short list of cup winning keepers for us.

Wighty76
03-12-2014, 09:05 PM
The world is def a brighter place with Budgie in it.

happy birthday

:thumbsup:

greengnome
03-12-2014, 09:52 PM
The world is def a brighter place with Budgie in it.

happy birthday

:thumbsup:

:agree:........:flag:

erin go bragh
03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
When we won the cup in 91 Budgie ran over to the East with the cup and let me kiss it ( the cup that is .lol)
His book is defo worth a read .Happy Birthday Budgie .

Ggtth

Bostonhibby
03-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Is he getting younger as time goes by?

Top man - exactly what we needed to inspire the whole team at that time, never forget his performance in the semi against the now defunct Glasgow Rangers. We are one of a few clubs where he was a genuine hero amongst the fans.

stevie-bee
03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
I remember reading he had left a scooter at the waverly train station everyday ,
And 1 night somebody pissed in his helmet and when he was driving to easter road all he could smell was the piss

easty
03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
63 today.

Happy Birthday to him.

:agree::thumbsup:

Roxyhibee
03-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Love Budgie. Just a huge warm personality that you rarely see these days, in any league, let alone Easter Road. He did an incredible job for us at a vulnerable point in our history and played a massive part in bringing some pride and dignity back to our great club.

Said this before, but the man is a potential asset - get him back for Corporate days, half time draws, and - get him to do the pre-match team talk on the 27th.!!

Shrekko
03-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Love Budgie. Just a huge warm personality that you rarely see these days, in any league, let alone Easter Road. He did an incredible job for us at a vulnerable point in our history and played a massive part in bringing some pride and dignity back to our great club.

Said this before, but the man is a potential asset - get him back for Corporate days, half time draws, and - get him to do the pre-match team talk on the 27th.!!

Does he not do TV work over in Dubai or something? Probably a tad more lucrative than doing a bit of corporate stuff for Hibs.

Roxyhibee
03-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Does he not do TV work over in Dubai or something? Probably a tad more lucrative than doing a bit of corporate stuff for Hibs.

I never knew that. Glad he's getting that work then. I'm just back from Dubai a couple of weeks back and never heard him..!

Would still like to see him back once, twice a season.

Thecat23
04-12-2014, 08:13 AM
The guy pulled off some incredible saves for is. He was a massive player for hibs and without him I honestly don't think Hibs would have went on to win the cup. He believed in himself and team mates and that confidence ran through the team.

Not enough guys like him in football now.

Wakeyhibee
04-12-2014, 08:27 AM
May be a myth but I seem to remember a story about him hanging from the crossbar with weights tied to him as he was considered too small to be a keeper :greengrin Fondest memory was the semi v Rangers, he made a couple of great saves that night and kept us in the game. Loved the comment on one of the Hibs videos as some joker through a ball at him mid interview, he caught it, said "well held", then continued the interview as if nothing had happened. Happy birthday Budgie :thumbsup:

Thecat23
04-12-2014, 09:27 AM
May be a myth but I seem to remember a story about him hanging from the crossbar with weights tied to him as he was considered too small to be a keeper :greengrin Fondest memory was the semi v Rangers, he made a couple of great saves that night and kept us in the game. Loved the comment on one of the Hibs videos as some joker through a ball at him mid interview, he caught it, said "well held", then continued the interview as if nothing had happened. Happy birthday Budgie :thumbsup:

I'm sure Peter Shilton also done this, used to try to stretch his arms to make them longer!

Mr White
04-12-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm sure Peter Shilton also done this, used to try to stretch his arms to make them longer!

Wouldn't surprise me if Brad Friedel did the same- guy looks like donkey kong with the length of his arms!

Thecat23
04-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Brad Friedel did the same- guy looks like donkey kong with the length of his arms!

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haymaker
04-12-2014, 01:56 PM

He used to do something on tele in the Arab peninsula but has since moved on to Singapore to coach there

Keith_M
04-12-2014, 02:20 PM

Actually, he dropped it :greengrin

It's in the video "the team that wouldn't die".

I remember Hibs had problems with him about the top he wore during games. He refused to wear the official top, preferring his own, which he claimed had special properties that made the ball stick to it. Mad as a box of frogs!

HibbyAndy
04-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Happy birthday Budgie

Wakeyhibee
04-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Actually, he dropped it :greengrin

It's in the video "the team that wouldn't die".

I remember Hibs had problems with him about the top he wore during games. He refused to wear the official top, preferring his own, which he claimed had special properties that made the ball stick to it. Mad as a box of frogs!

Sounds about right, been a long time since I watched it, v funny though and yeah, mad as.... :greengrin

Pretty Boy
04-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Sounds about right, been a long time since I watched it, v funny though and yeah, mad as.... :greengrin

I watched it just the other day. Was searching for Deanos winner at Tynecastle (doesn't seem to be on YouTube) and that came up in the search results.

Sure I've still got the VHS in a cupboard somewhere as well.

Mr White
04-12-2014, 08:59 PM
I watched it just the other day. Was searching for Deanos winner at Tynecastle (doesn't seem to be on YouTube) and that came up in the search results.

Sure I've still got the VHS in a cupboard somewhere as well.

Mobile footage from near where I was that day
Hibs Winner At Tyney 2005: http://youtu.be/Q9aFmJPsP3I

DirtyDeeds
04-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Excited to say that we have Budgie lined up to guest on Monday Night Fitba at the end of January. When the time comes, im sure you guys will come up with some belting questions for the man himself!!

H18S NX
04-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Every time his name is mentioned i have a big grin on my face,what a great guy,what a character,and what an inspiration,happy birthday goalie,and many more.:aok:

gorgie greens
06-12-2014, 06:31 AM
A complete nutter. I always remember a piece he did with Football Focus on Grandstand in which he said he puts his full kit on to watch Match Of The Day :-D

Happy birthday!
He used to get his Mrs to throw oranges at him when he was not paying attention,sounds abit kinky to me :greengrin
fond memories of the guy,he was at a game at Tynecastle when they were doing the pigstye up and we had tickets in the asbesdos stand and he was sitting in the next row to me,chatting and having a laugh with all the fans ,and he was as passionate as the Hibs fans were that day,also had the good fortune to meet him when he came up to Edinburgh when his son played ice hockey at Murrayfield (top guy)