PDA

View Full Version : Best Goal of 2014

Mibbes Aye
02-12-2014, 10:39 PM
This is the shortlist for the FIFA Puskas Award (http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/puskas-award/) - the competition for the best goal of the year. Click on the images to see the three goals.

James Rodriguez and Robin van Persie in the World Cup aren't necessarily surprises.

The other shortlistee is though - Stephanie Roche, from the Irish women's league, caught by an amateur cameraman.

I've voted for Stephanie Roche. Think it's a great goal and while the opposition wasn't as strong as the others were facing, their goals weren't about beating a defender, they were about technique. Hers is just as good (better IMO) :agree:

Voting is open until 12 January I think.

lapsedhibee
02-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Yep, also voted for the burd. Love a two-footed player.

Bit surprised to see that RVP goal in the short list - did he not score any better goals than that himself during the year?

Mibbes Aye
02-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Yep, also voted for the burd. Love a two-footed player.

Bit surprised to see that RVP goal in the short list - did he not score any better goals than that himself during the year?

I think he must have, that's without checking :greengrin

This one's been seized on though, maybe for being a bit unusual - long-range with the head. High-profile game as well I guess.

Mon the Irish girl :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
02-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Van Persie's goal isn't spectacular. And the lassies goal is nothing special, its clearly only been put in there for the novelty factor.

James though :not worth

leither17
02-12-2014, 11:24 PM
the boy from japan is a belter and the mexican goal is in the last min with the scores 0-0 i will vote for the mexico one

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Van Persie's goal isn't spectacular. And the lassies goal is nothing special, its clearly only been put in there for the novelty factor.

No doubt her goal has been included for more reasons than the goal itself, good PR for FIFA and all that. But how the hell can you say its "nothing special" it was bloody brilliant.

kentao
03-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Marco Fabian for me. His first touch was like a touch of an angel the way he took it out the sky created half a yard of space and calmly dinks it into the top bin with ease. Great skill and finish.

InterviewLoI
03-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Stephanie is a cracking girl and a phenomenal talent. She recently signed a professional contract in France and scored in an international match with World Cup favourites Germany (a narrow 3-2 loss for the girls in green). Her goal is most definitely not there for the "novelty factor", its most definitely one of the most aesthetically beautiful goals of the year. She also has the support of our whole nation (she's the first Republic of Ireland person to be nominated) as well as all women. I really hope she wins it.

PS does anyone else reckon Farid's goal at Tynie was quite similar to it?

AgentDaleCooper
03-12-2014, 12:33 AM

what :confused:

The_Exile
03-12-2014, 01:19 AM
Hope Stephanie wins, stunning technique. Blind's cross for Van Persie was better than the finish, nice header though.

SJNB Hibby
03-12-2014, 01:36 AM
She's got my vote:aok::aok:

Brightside
03-12-2014, 09:40 AM
what :confused:

He's on the wind up

JimBHibees
03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Stephanie is a cracking girl and a phenomenal talent. She recently signed a professional contract in France and scored in an international match with World Cup favourites Germany (a narrow 3-2 loss for the girls in green). Her goal is most definitely not there for the "novelty factor", its most definitely one of the most aesthetically beautiful goals of the year. She also has the support of our whole nation (she's the first Republic of Ireland person to be nominated) as well as all women. I really hope she wins it.

PS does anyone else reckon Farid's goal at Tynie was quite similar to it?

Agree entirely phenomenal goal and deserves to win.

Matt92
03-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Voted for James.

Sorry but a goal for Peamount United in the Irish Women's Premier league Vs a Last 16 world cup clash against Uruguay...the difference in magnitude, pressure, marking etc is substantial. Some of my mates score utter wonder-goals in our kickabouts which would never be comparable to the Irish girls goal just as I dont think hers is comparable to James.

Not being sexist- just my genuine opinion- probably wrong!

PeterboroHibee
03-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Voted for James.

Sorry but a goal for Peamount United in the Irish Women's Premier league Vs a Last 16 world cup clash against Uruguay...the difference in magnitude, pressure, marking etc is substantial. Some of my mates score utter wonder-goals in our kickabouts which would never be comparable to the Irish girls goal just as I dont think hers is comparable to James.

Its the best goal of the year though, so surely the circumstances are irrelevant? It isnt sexist but probably a bit elitist to suggest that only goals scored in high end competitions should be considered (although probably fitting with modern day football...).

Personally, I do think that Roche's is the best goal of the three. She shows technical ability with both feet, skill to beat the defender, and the goal itself is some finish (all without the ball touching the ground).

DarrenSQH
03-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Oxley was robbed

Mathias Jack
03-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Stephanie Roche for me; had that been Bale, Messi or Ronaldo...they'd be picking up that trophy

The goals from Rodriguez and Marco Fabian though :not worth

Keith_M
03-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Oxley was robbed

:agree:

Off the bar
03-12-2014, 02:11 PM
voted for Stephanie as well,

3 great goals there but none of them a patch on last years winner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDsxKXa0PbA

Hibee87
03-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Van persies is a good goal, but nowhere near as good as tim cahills at the world cup. The burd will win it

Hibee87
03-12-2014, 04:44 PM
voted for Stephanie as well,

3 great goals there but none of them a patch on last years winner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDsxKXa0PbA

Zlatans goal was amazing, I remember watching that game live and couldn't believe he done that. He is one of my favourite footballers, in a recent article he was asked to pick a dream team, up front, 'me of course' haha

Thecat23
03-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Rodriguez for me. He even has a little look up and to put it where he did was superb. All good goals though!

PeeJay
03-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Voted for James.

Good post - sums it up for me ... :thumbsup:

Sudds_1
03-12-2014, 04:48 PM
.................quite like the Portland Timbers strip *wink*

Pretty Boy
03-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Going to throw it out there and say, whilst it doesn't deserve to win, Van Peries goal is justifiably on the list.

99% of players would have tried to let that drop and control it with chest or foot and probably be forced wide by a chasing defender or goalkeeper. To spot the keeper of his line and have the audacity to try that header and also have the technique and skill to pull it off is superb imo.

Squealing pig
04-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Voted for the burd but got to say my top 2 were cahill and the lad from Fulham game what a finish remember it well think there was 3 cracking goals in that game.

CallumLaidlaw
04-12-2014, 08:35 PM
I agree that the occasion has to be taken into account. I voted for Rodriguez's as the technique was sublime and it was on the grandest stage of them all.

RyeSloan
04-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Going to throw it out there and say, whilst it doesn't deserve to win, Van Peries goal is justifiably on the list. 99% of players would have tried to let that drop and control it with chest or foot and probably be forced wide by a chasing defender or goalkeeper. To spot the keeper of his line and have the audacity to try that header and also have the technique and skill to pull it off is superb imo.

Agree 100%...I remember being totally flabbergasted at how he finished that...brilliant brilliant goal.

I also agree that although the Roche goal is pretty impressive there really can't be a comparison to finishes like James in the top football competition...as another poster said there is great goals in kick abouts all the time but it's about doing it at the right time on the biggest stages. Good on FIFA for including it though and I'm sure she's loving the attention her goal is getting, it was a peach after all.

Bishop Hibee
04-12-2014, 08:58 PM
All 3 are fabulous goals. It's brilliant that easy access to video tech means so much football is captured. So many great Hibs goals only a memory.

SunshineOnLeith
04-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Everyone's scored a screamer in the park at some point, but in a World Cup? People will still be watching James' goal in twenty years, the Irish girl's one will soon be consigned to the memory of the internet along with Fenton the dog, that guy making the 'up and down the hill' putt and all other viral YouTube clips.

HibernianJK
04-12-2014, 11:32 PM
disgrace that van persie has made final 3 ahead of some of the others nominated, the irish girls goal stood out when i first saw them but her and james are equally deserving