PDA

View Full Version : Balotelli fills Suarez's boots at last

lapsedhibee
02-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Reported to the FA for racist remarks (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30287413)

Keith_M
02-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Reported to the FA for racist remarks (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30287413)

Anybody know what it said?

GordonHFC
02-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Something like 'jumps like a black man and collects coins like a jew'

Keith_M
02-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Something like 'jumps like a black man and collects coins like a jew'

Thanks.

So the racism part is 'jumps like a black man'. But Balotelli is black.

Surely he should be condemned for sectarianism/religious bigotry, not racism?

Michael
02-12-2014, 09:00 AM
It was actually a picture of super Mario that said 'don't be racist...Italian plumber, made by Japanese people...etc...jumps like a black man...etc...'

PeterboroHibee
02-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks.

Does that mean people cant find it racist/offensive? And I think it has been reported as racism and anti-semitism. Silly thing to do, even if it was intended as an anti-racism picture - theres far better ways to go about getting that message out there!

Keith_M
02-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Does that mean people cant find it racist/offensive? And I think it has been reported as racism and anti-semitism. Silly thing to do, even if it was intended as an anti-racism picture - theres far better ways to go about getting that message out there!

It was more of a question than anything else. As a white person, I have no idea if a black person would consider it offensive. It's certainly a lot milder than a Black Rapper using the 'N' word, which you now hear very little about despite how often they say it.

I just thought the Jewish comment was more clear cut.

Andy74
02-12-2014, 11:38 AM
It was more of a question than anything else. As a white person, I have no idea if a black person would consider it offensive. It's certainly a lot milder than a Black Rapper using the 'N' word, which you now hear very little about despite how often they say it.

I just thought the Jewish comment was more clear cut.

If the last word on the picture was changed to Scot everyone would think it was hilarious I'm sure.

It's a strange day when someone posting a picture which begins with 'don't be racist', is accused of racism.

In the context I think it was trying to illustrate some racial stereotypes that could be applied to a popular character and not encourage them.

TowerHibs
02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
If the last word on the picture was changed to Scot everyone would think it was hilarious I'm sure.

It's a strange day when someone posting a picture which begins with 'don't be racist', is accused of racism.

In the context I think it was trying to illustrate some racial stereotypes that could be applied to a popular character and not encourage them.

Correct

World is going mad. He was taking the micky and said he was highlighting racism with a little homour. I see a Jewish Community and ex FA member is demanding action against him.

Now this could be an argument against players using Twitter or managers sending private texts but in all context....Some things people are being pulled up for is going to create a society where very little creative elements and very little room for debate.

It's actually becoming counter productive.

Said it during the Malky Mc thread....If your looking to be offended, chances are you will find something that's offensive.

This is 24 hour news that is desperate for any story that it makes mountains out of mole hills and has now created a culture of everyone being offended by anything.

I'm going on holiday in January....However I will be making no comment regarding sunbeds, towels or Germans

Tricla
02-12-2014, 12:02 PM
10/10

Everyone is just too precious these days

Sylar
02-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Probably the same people who were offended by the film title "White People Can't Jump" :greengrin

People look for inflammatory stuff at every turn of life these days it seems.

GreensesArab
02-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks.

Plus, his Mums a Jew, making him half Jewish so not sure where the religious bigotry fits either.

EskbankHibby
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Plus, his Mums a Jew, making him half Jewish so not sure where the religious bigotry fits either.

Half Jewish, he must have a two-skin......

(Copyright - David Baddiel, circa 1998)

TowerHibs
02-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't matter as he can still say something abusive even though he knows another Jew.

I just think the only people that want to be offended will find this offensive. The Jewish Community guy shouting from the rooftop about this but yet where is he when Israel treat Arabs with discontent.

Now this shouldn't turn into an argument On racism, anti semitic blah blah blah. I feel this is now down to media and the reporting of stories. Newspapers and TV news are hungry for stories and are now 2nd source after twitter. Why watch ssn when u found out straight from the player or journo on twitter.

Plebgate cost the UK tax payer over £500k of public money was spent, all for the judge to say something more offensive to the cop involved.

Anyone seen the film Equilibrium?

Keith_M
02-12-2014, 01:31 PM

I made that comment on here recently and was accused of not recognising the terrible history of Jewish people by stating there was no difference.

My opinion is that anyone that thinks it OK to make a boring, stereotypical, possibly derogaratory remark about one group, but that it's offensive when using the same remark against another, is themselves guilty of discrimination. I also think sometimes people are a little over-sensitive, ready to jump on every perceived insult.

southsider
02-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Probably the same people who were offended by the film title "White People Can't Jump" :greengrin

People look for inflammatory stuff at every turn of life these days it seems.

There are people today making real fine living out of being offended

mmmmhibby
02-12-2014, 02:43 PM
There are people today making real fine living out of being offended

Aye, they are called "Professional Offence Takers". They are everywhere.

Keith_M
02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Balotelli has said the whole point of his comment was to highlight racist and sectarian stereotypes. Basically that he was doing this as an 'anti-racism' comment.

TBF, that explanation does actually make sense.

Iggy Pope
02-12-2014, 06:12 PM
"We abhor all forms of racism, wherever its found" Johnson told the Daily Telegraph.....

That would be a good place to start looking then fool.

I recall a joke from an age ago when discrimination was a million tim(e)s worse than the offended of today might believe:

Q Why won't Rangers sign Jews?
A Cos they only sign complete dicks.

Made me laugh. And I was fully paid up Rock Against Racism at the time.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2014, 06:15 PM
I have no time for Balotelli but this really is a fuss over nothing.

mountains and molehills spring to mind.