PDA

View Full Version : Question Would lifting the Scottish Cup make amends for relegation?

Jamesie
01-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Entirely hypothetical question, although if Dundee were to cause a shock against Celtic then all bets would be off (wishful thinking on my part) as I think on our day we could defeat any of the other teams left in the competition.

However, I did find myself wondering whether I would trade a season or two in the hampionship if it meant we got to lift the Holy Grail? Personally I think I probably would.

NAE NOOKIE
01-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Lifting the Scottish Cup would make amends for EVERYTHING :greengrin

VivaHiberņa
01-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Being in the First Division would probably make it all the sweeter. Promotion will come this season or next, we've been waiting long enough for the Cup.

ancient hibee
01-12-2014, 05:49 PM
And then the following season we could defend the cup and win the league thereby doing the double

NURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Gerard
01-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Yes

Pretty Boy
01-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Yes.

If I had to choose one or the other I'd still choose promotion over winning the cup this year.

However if we did win the cup I'd forgive Hibs almost anything. Winning the SC would genuinely be one of the happiest days of my life.

Waxy
01-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Yes. With the SPL being such a small league teams such as us and hurtz will get relegated on occasions. Look at our league positions through the first half of last century. Almost always double figure finishing positions.
We're toiling to win the league due to unfair money advantages of the big weegies. The Scottish cup is our everything now.

7Hero
01-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Would put up with far worse than that to get the mnkey off our back....

Thecat23
01-12-2014, 06:25 PM
No danger, poor managers poor football and dropping down is unforgivable. Would ease the anger and I'd be delighted to see us finally lift it but that doesn't mean everything should be forgotten far from it. I never want to go through the past 7 years again.

Sir David Gray
01-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Seeing Hibs lift the Scottish Cup would be the best day of my life so far, bar none. In fact I would go as far as to say that the only thing that would be able to top it would be if I ever witness the birth of my child.

I would still rather get promoted this year but seeing Liam Craig going up to lift the cup in May would literally fulfil one of my lifetime ambitions.

tanfield
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes!!!!

hibee_nation
01-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Would take a cup win even if it meant us staying down for the next 5 seasons.

surreyhibbie
01-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Yes.

That's all!

Kato
01-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Yer darn tootin'.

Westie1875
01-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Yes

superfurryhibby
01-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Would take a cup win even if it meant us staying down for the next 5 seasons.

Well, I'd wear at Hearts strip when pumping the lady friend and start eating meat again after thirty years of strict vegetarianism.

Please god let us win the ****er, just once.

Eyrie
01-12-2014, 08:25 PM
It couldn't make amends for relegation, but it would be very acceptable to win the cup as a lower division club.

Jim44
01-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Entirely hypothetical question, although if Dundee were to cause a shock against Celtic then all bets would be off (wishful thinking on my part) as I think on our day we could defeat any of the other teams left in the competition.

However, I did find myself wondering whether I would trade a season or two in the hampionship if it meant we got to lift the Holy Grail? Personally I think I probably would.

On the contrary, I would have traded a few more years of not winning the cup to have avoided the ignominy and disgrace of being relegated from that particular league.

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2014, 08:53 PM
On the contrary, I would have traded a few more years of not winning the cup to have avoided the ignominy and disgrace of being relegated from that particular league.

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

Swedish hibee
01-12-2014, 08:54 PM
I would do anything. I'd walk from Sweden to Leith in only a pair of pants. Fact. :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-12-2014, 09:09 PM
No. Hibs in the second tier of Scottish football is humiliating. Only going straight back up would come close.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
01-12-2014, 09:22 PM
:agree::agree::agree::agree:

Kinda agree. But its a flawed question. If we won the cup this year (obviously we wont, but if) it would be great and every hibby would love it.

But that doesnt mean I would forgive petrie and hibs their mismanagement of the past few years.

Relegation has happened, it cant be undone regardless of what happens now. Anything that happens now is an event on its own merit, and seeing hibs win a major trophy is always an amazing event, regardless of the context or what preceded it.

Winning the league cup In 91 didnt erase, justify or make right what happened before. But it was still amazing.

weonlywon6-2
01-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Simples,yes

GreenArmyyy!
01-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Yep!

lucky
01-12-2014, 11:45 PM
The premiership this season would have been flat. Only the wee greens games would attract a decent crowd and with the likelyhood of TB still being charge I think I would take relegation and the Holy Grail everytime

flash
02-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Every season more good Hibs people die without seeing it happen.

Need I say more.

Billy McKirdy
02-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again.

YES

I don't understand the panic regards avoiding promotion by many on here, we have been in freefall for the last few years in particular and once relegation was confirmed and we knew who was going to be down here with us I more or less accepted that we're here for two seasons at least.

We needed to rebuild and I think two seasons down here won't do us too much harm.

The so called financial benefits to playing in the top league are marginal....more important to build a completely new team which is already happening.

The Scottish Cup?

It's a long shot as long as Celtic are in it but we must be seriously considered amongst the favourites to win.

So I would easily prefer winning the cup to promotion every time.

No contest.

Keith_M
02-12-2014, 08:12 AM
I would do anything. I'd walk from Sweden to Leith in only a pair of pants. Fact. :agree:

Admins, is there some way to preserve this promise to hold him to it?

:greengrin

PeeJay
02-12-2014, 08:53 AM

The answer has to be no - the league always has to have higher priority - Your line of reasoning is similar to that followed by all "small teams" whose only hope of success is maybe picking up a trophy ... a club with aspirations and ambitions has to be in the top flight: everything else is irrelevant.

Eyrie
02-12-2014, 08:33 PM
The answer has to be no - the league always has to have higher priority - Your line of reasoning is similar to that followed by all "small teams" whose only hope of success is maybe picking up a trophy ... a club with aspirations and ambitions has to be in the top flight: everything else is irrelevant.

Being in the top flight is not the be all and end all when there is only one team with a realistic chance of winning the league. Every other club views the cups as their best chance of winning something.

Hibernia&Alba
02-12-2014, 08:36 PM
I'd donate both my baws to medical research for the cup, so aye, it would make up for relegation. However, promotion is even more important right now.

PeeJay
03-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Being in the top flight is not the be all and end all when there is only one team with a realistic chance of winning the league. Every other club views the cups as their best chance of winning something.

Spoken like a fan of one of the minnows ... you're entitled to your opinion of course, but I think the Club has to aim higher - the league is everything IMO, the League Cup or Scottish Cup always take 2nd place ... your post is probably representative of many fans at ER, it segues neatly with the current "we'll let Rangers and Hearts gain promotion first so we then have a chance to get up ourselves ..." .... this mind set depresses me enormously ....

Keith_M
03-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Spoken like a fan of one of the minnows ... you're entitled to your opinion of course, but I think the Club has to aim higher - the league is everything IMO, the League Cup or Scottish Cup always take 2nd place ... your post is probably representative of many fans at ER, it segues neatly with the current "we'll let Rangers and Hearts gain promotion first so we then have a chance to get up ourselves ..." .... this mind set depresses me enormously ....

Aren't we actually one of the minnows right now?

Billy McKirdy
03-12-2014, 11:27 AM
What really gets my goat is the 'realistic' ambitions of clubs outwith the BIG two never extend to actually winning the premier league.
Like aiming for third is the ultimate.
I support Hibs through blind loyalty not through any expectation of being the very best club in the country over a whole season (in the top league).
The Scottish is a more realistic (though elusive if your us) achievement.

givescotlandfreedom
03-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Big time

PeeJay
03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Aren't we actually one of the minnows right now?

Well, fans saying we can't win the SPFL or even the Championship because the other teams are too good, along with the perennial favourite, "I only want some entertainment" would certainly confirm that, I guess ... I still think the Club has to set its sights higher than the odd Scottish Cup win every 100+ years ... :greengrin

t's not just a fan thing obviously, seems the people in charge of the Club also have an attitude of "well, we won't actually win anything, but ...."

This is a loser mentality, reflected in the Club's recent poor haul in terms of achievements. Feel I've lived in Germany too long to think that this line of thought can ever be constructive ...

Frazerbob
03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Wait a second, didn't many (if not most) on here deride the Merricks who felt a couple of cups was worth the Admin, relegation etc?

Keith_M
03-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Well, fans saying we can't win the SPFL or even the Championship because the other teams are too good, along with the perennial favourite, "I only want some entertainment" would certainly confirm that, I guess ... I still think the Club has to set its sights higher than the odd Scottish Cup win every 100+ years ... :greengrin

t's not just a fan thing obviously, seems the people in charge of the Club also have an attitude of "well, we won't actually win anything, but ...."

This is a loser mentality, reflected in the Club's recent poor haul in terms of achievements. Feel I've lived in Germany too long to think that this line of thought can ever be constructive ...

I get what you're saying but I suppose it's a case of realistic goals. Do Hertha Berlin start the season with the goal of winning the Bundesliga, despite the dominance of Bayern? Maybe some of their Fans do, but it's not going too well for them at the moment, so you could consider them either deluded or dreamers, depending on your point of view.

I'm not sure any Club in Scotland have a realistic goal of beating Celtc to the title. I can't think of any Managers of the other 11 Clubs that have stated that as their goal this season. TBH, I'm making myself depressed just thinking about it, so gonna stop now...........

Kato
03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Wait a second, didn't many (if not most) on here deride the Merricks who felt a couple of cups was worth the Admin, relegation etc?

We wouldn't be trading winning a cup for administration and we were relegated because we were rubbish not because we threw other people's money around pretending to be a big club.

Don't really see the similarity.

If Hibs ever win that trophy again it'll be because we beat other clubs fairly and squarely, because no-one is going to give us millions to spend and no official is ever going do us any favours.

Frazerbob
03-12-2014, 12:53 PM
We wouldn't be trading winning a cup for administration and we were relegated because we were rubbish not because we threw other people's money around pretending to be a big club.

Don't really see the similarity.

If Hibs ever win that trophy again it'll be because we beat other clubs fairly and squarely, because no-one is going to give us millions to spend and no official is ever going do us any favours.

Yet they are looking like being in a better place than us come May. I can understand why they think it was worth it.

theonlywayisup
03-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Let me think about this one!

Promotion into a diddy, boring league, totally dominated by a single club with a slight hope that we will be able to challenge St.J, ICT, United etc for the tag of being the best of the rest or winning the famous Scottish Cup, one of the most famous competitions in the world, one we have not won for a few seasons (!!!) and an automatic entry into Europe. Which one will get you dancing down Princes Street, to give you the best day of your life.

Let me think about it!

PeeJay
03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I get what you're saying but I suppose it's a case of realistic goals. Do Hertha Berlin start the season with the goal of winning the Bundesliga, despite the dominance of Bayern? Maybe some of their Fans do, but it's not going too well for them at the moment, so you could consider them either deluded or dreamers, depending on your point of view.

I'm not sure any Club in Scotland have a realistic goal of beating Celtc to the title. I can't think of any Managers of the other 11 Clubs that have stated that as their goal this season. TBH, I'm making myself depressed just thinking about it, so gonna stop now...........

Well, I didn't actually want to stoop so low as to compare us with Hertha ...:greengrin

Realistic ... I used to attend ER when Stein was in charge of a great Celtic team, for a while I thought we could do the impossible - Aberdeen showed the stranglehold could be broken ... good management, a good manager, decent players and some investment - we have none of that and our sights are set so low (lower now because of where we are) -In Scotland Celtic just have to turn up , because everyone else - it seems - have given up ...

... the goals are obvious: the Club has to do something to make them realistic ... it's so bad now at ER I'm seriously thinking of turning to Bayern ...

Phil MaGlass
03-12-2014, 01:22 PM
I would take the cup, and the cash generated by it to invest in a better and bigger squad.

mutley
03-12-2014, 02:33 PM
We stumbled a lot at the begining of the season, however, I think we should be aiming for "the big push" up the league. OK maybe the yams have too big a gap to catch if they contiue to fluke their way to winning games, but there is still a chance of promotion through the play -offs, and with a good cup run, I can't see any reason why we can't do both.

I know the Holy Grail has alluded us for a very long time, and I was there at both the recent finals, but I still believe that it can ( and WILL) be done at somepoint, and I hope to be there to see it.

basehibby
03-12-2014, 05:23 PM
The answer to the question is a resounding YES - mainly because there are many Hibees who have lived and died without seeing Hibs lift the SC - BUT also because it would indicate that Hibs had made at least a bloody good fist of challenging for promotion.

Teams that win the SC have generally done so on the back of a strong finish to the season - and that is exactly what we need if we are to have a decent chance of going up THIS season. We were always more than likely to qualify for the play offs and I don't see that changing - but make no mistake they will be extremely competitive and that includes the two sides who will likely provide the competition to Hibs and Hearts/Rangers to win the last remaining place in the SPL for next season.

So a win in the SC would indicate to me that funds had been wisely spent on building the team in january which is what I want to see. If it did come down to it that Hibs were competing in the last two games of the season - play off and SC Finals then I would take the SC over promotion. Many fans of other teams would not agree but they are not Hibs fans - the SC is a monkey on our backs which would be priceless to shake off so it doesn't surprise me one bit that most Hibbies would agree.

Eyrie
03-12-2014, 06:38 PM

Nope, I'm realistic. I don't expect us to compete with Septic over 38 games for the league title, but I would expect us to have a decent chance of beating them in any one game (league or cup).

As regards promotion this year, it's something I would have predicted before the season started and still view as very achievable.

sleeping giant
03-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes . Yes it would. It would indeed . Thanks .
Is this happening this year ?
Mon the Scottish cup .

Keith_M
03-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Well, I didn't actually want to stoop so low as to compare us with Hertha ...:greengrin

Sorry.

...it's so bad now at ER I'm seriously thinking of turning to Bayern ...

That's not funny!

:tsk tsk: