PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon, well played today

Springbank
29-11-2014, 08:20 PM
I've been a critic of Paul Hanlon's at times in the past, but I thought he was our best player in the first half (especially as Fontaine & Oxley were all at sea at times). One tackle on Buchanan after he'd turned and flicked Fontaine in side out was a goal saver and timed to perfection. Hanlon was unlucky not to score a right foot volley peach right on half time too.

id say Scott Allan was motm but Hanlon's first half was excellent. Well done Paul

Baldy Foghorn
29-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I concur, his first half tackle was superb.........

Tynie01011973
29-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Good performance - apart from the bad misplaced pass to give them their chance to make it 2-0.

David Gray would have been my MotM

The Harp Awakes
29-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Glad to hear Paul had a good game today. Still a young player so plenty of improvement to come.

truehibernian
29-11-2014, 08:34 PM
...was a huge critic of him over the last few seasons but humble pie has had to be eaten.......this last two years he has actually shown his skills in very trying situations......and this season he is showing a bit of braun too.........I said last season he'd surprised me in a good way as I was utterly unconvinced by him for a few years........but I have to admit a nice defeat, he has been a very very good player this last two years. And it looks like it will continue :aok:

whiskyhibby
29-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Paul had a cracking game, a few dodgy moments ( along with Fontaine) but he could definitely play at a higher level, a cracking defender who I for one am very glad we have

Smartie
29-11-2014, 08:43 PM
He was excellent. Saved Fontaine's bacon a few times. They've looked a good pairing of late but Fontaine was all over the shop today. Fortunately I think Hanlon realised his partner was toiling and did a great job of anticipating trouble and sweeping up.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2014, 09:09 PM
He's a good player.

I'm never surprised when the likes of Hanlon and Lewis turn in performances like today, it's exactly what I expect of them.

Scouse Hibee
29-11-2014, 09:13 PM
He's a good player.

I'm never surprised when the likes of Hanlon and Lewis turn in performances like today, it's exactly what I expect of them.

:agree:

Seveno
30-11-2014, 12:41 AM
He's a good player.

Spot on. I just wish you had been sitting a few rows behind me to shut up the big mouth that got on Lewis' back all the time.

Stantons Angel
30-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Spot on. I just wish you had been sitting a few rows behind me to shut up the big mouth that got on Lewis' back all the time.

I wish id been sitting there too! He would have shut up!!!

Hanlon has always been an unsung hero in my opinion. He has very rarely let us down from a very young age.

He just gets on with his job and takes criticism wisely and learns from it.

He knew his partner was not on best form yesterday and helped get him through the game without much fuss.

Lewis may not be the best in the position he has to play in but he too never lets us down. The moron who you point out was on his back should have been told to shut up and watch the game!!!

Stevie Reid
30-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I suspect we wouldn't be in this division had Paul not had his injury problems in the latter half of last season.

People often talk about our players not being good enough for Hibs, or wonder how long we can hold on to our better ones. I see Paul as hopefully being a career Hibs player - he's turned into a fine defender. I took some convincing myself, but I've really appreciated him for the last couple of years.

Borderhibbie76
30-11-2014, 12:42 PM
I suspect we wouldn't be in this division had Paul not had his injury problems in the latter half of last season.

People often talk about our players not being good enough for Hibs, or wonder how long we can hold on to our better ones. I see Paul as hopefully being a career Hibs player - he's turned into a fine defender. I took some convincing myself, but I've really appreciated him for the last couple of years.
Paul and wee Lewis are both unsung heroes for us and its time they both got a wee bit of deserved credit. I agree we would have stayed up had Paul not been injured at end of last season... We missed him badly

Stevie Reid
30-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Paul and wee Lewis are both unsung heroes for us and its time they both got a wee bit of deserved credit. I agree we would have stayed up had Paul not been injured at end of last season... We missed him badly

I certainly get the feeling that they are both winning more supporters over, which you would hope given their performance levels. Paul being more physically aggressive, and Lewis's skilful performances and end product this season, have certainly answered a few questions.

Springbank
30-11-2014, 05:34 PM
I certainly get the feeling that they are both winning more supporters over, which you would hope given their performance levels. Paul being more physically aggressive, and Lewis's skilful performances and end product this season, have certainly answered a few questions.

Spot on!

On the way to the game yesterday I was saying to my 6 year old "these are the days where you need a few lads in the team who grew up as Hibs fans" to make sure the malonga's and fontaine's know what it means to us, why our support outnumbers most home supports in cup ties.

Hanlon & Stevenson brought that & more yesterday

ronaldo7
30-11-2014, 06:28 PM
I wish id been sitting there too! He would have shut up!!!

Hanlon has always been an unsung hero in my opinion. He has very rarely let us down from a very young age.

He just gets on with his job and takes criticism wisely and learns from it.

He knew his partner was not on best form yesterday and helped get him through the game without much fuss.

Lewis may not be the best in the position he has to play in but he too never lets us down. The moron who you point out was on his back should have been told to shut up and watch the game!!!

Spot on. Held it all together through the middle.

lord bunberry
30-11-2014, 06:45 PM
That clown Butcher told him to find another club as well

Pretty Boy
30-11-2014, 06:51 PM

He probably couldn't punt the ball far enough in the direction he was facing for that clueless ***** liking.

emerald green
30-11-2014, 07:30 PM

You know, the more and more I hear about Butcher (and Malpas) I think it was inevitable Hibs would end up being relegated.

Fergos
30-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Sometimes IMHO players like Lewis and Hanlon get it tighter as they have came through the ranks and we like our own to achieve more, perhaps at times unfairly and way ahead of any reasonable timelines.

See the debate on Handling at the moment across the threads.

Great to see PH / LS continuing their decent form this year and DH at last coming into the form we have been expecting of him. Stubbs seems to be having an especially positive effect on DH, his best performances to date have been since Stubbsy arrived

GGTTH

bingo70
30-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Sometimes IMHO players like Lewis and Hanlon get it tighter as they have came through the ranks and we like our own to achieve more, perhaps at times unfairly and way ahead of any reasonable timelines.

See the debate on Handling at the moment across the threads.

Great to see PH / LS continuing their decent form this year and DH at last coming into the form we have been expecting of him. Stubbs seems to be having an especially positive effect on DH, his best performances to date have been since Stubbsy arrived

GGTTH

That's nonsense imo.

The players you mentioned have got stick because they've contributed to us getting to where we are now.

Fwiw imo we wouldn't have got rejegated
If hanlon stayed fit last season.

Fergos
30-11-2014, 07:49 PM
That's nonsense imo.

The players you mentioned have got stick because they've contributed to us getting to where we are now.

Fwiw imo we wouldn't have got rejegated
If hanlon stayed fit last season.

So if Hanlon was fit we wouldn't have been relegated....but he's contributed to where we are now.....ok.....

GGTTH

bingo70
30-11-2014, 08:19 PM
So if Hanlon was fit we wouldn't have been relegated....but he's contributed to where we are now.....ok.....

GGTTH

I don't think hanlon has taken that much stick so I was excluding him. Apologies, I should have made that clearer.

Jdawg
30-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Having Gray in defence has helped settle the back 4 in general. No offence to previous incumbents like Maybury and Stevenson when made to play there. Having a proper right back who can go up and down all day should be the norm not the exception. Ridiculous that he is the first decent right back since SW.

How did Yogi, CC, Fenlon and TB not sort this.

Fergos
30-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't think hanlon has taken that much stick so I was excluding him. Apologies, I should have made that clearer.

With you pal, however PH has taken some brutal abuse over the years....and agree that if he hadn't been injured last year we would still be top flight

GGTTH

Brightside
30-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Where is the smug face smiley?:greengrin