PDA

View Full Version : Yams Enemy monikers

portyloon
29-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Anyone of a similar vintage to me, not in the first flush that is, ever noticed the switchover from the early moniker 'Jamtarts' to 'Jambos'? I'm not sure exactly when it came about, but I do know that in my early Easter Road baptism days the word 'Jambo' was unknown. And I'm not sure I like the change. Jambo is of course embraced readily by the orc hordes themeselves, probably because it has a slightly cuddly, family-friendly feel to it (think, say, Jumbo, the friendly elephant). But I would much prefer something a bit more detrimental sounding. I know there are alternatives - 'yams' often appears in these columns, but I seldom hear it in real life situations. And again, it won't do really - it's a kind of sweet potato eaten by happy, friendly folk over in the Caribbean. Much too nice again. Then there's '****bo'. Now that does have a certain appeal, but it's just a play on 'Jambo' and is kind of getting a bit removed from the original sound of the name. I've also heard them called other things, for example think 'bankers' or fox chase meetings, but then the use has to be a bit selective depending on company you're in. Like not your granny's whist drive.

Jamtarts. I liked it. It had a certain acerbic, contemptuous tone to it, bunch of tarts. (And I don't mean any offence here to members of the oldest profession, either.)

Mr White
29-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Its ok just use jambo as a prefix to ****s, ***** or ****ers and it works just fine :aok:

givescotlandfreedom
29-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Anyone of a similar vintage to me, not in the first flush that is, ever noticed the switchover from the early moniker 'Jamtarts' to 'Jambos'? I'm not sure exactly when it came about, but I do know that in my early Easter Road baptism days the word 'Jambo' was unknown. And I'm not sure I like the change. Jambo is of course embraced readily by the orc hordes themeselves, probably because it has a slightly cuddly, family-friendly feel to it (think, say, Jumbo, the friendly elephant). But I would much prefer something a bit more detrimental sounding. I know there are alternatives - 'yams' often appears in these columns, but I seldom hear it in real life situations. And again, it won't do really - it's a kind of sweet potato eaten by happy, friendly folk over in the Caribbean. Much too nice again. Then there's '****bo'. Now that does have a certain appeal, but it's just a play on 'Jambo' and is kind of getting a bit removed from the original sound of the name. I've also heard them called other things, for example think 'bankers' or fox chase meetings, but then the use has to be a bit selective depending on company you're in. Like not your granny's whist drive.

Jamtarts. I liked it. It had a certain acerbic, contemptuous tone to it, bunch of tarts. (And I don't mean any offence here to members of the oldest profession, either.)

I think Saviles fits the bill quite well.

Waxy
29-11-2014, 04:47 PM

Jamtarts. I liked it. It had a certain acerbic, contemptuous tone to it, bunch of tarts. (And I don't mean any offence here to members of the oldest profession, either.)Guess it's like a london style sland for hearts.Your right we must think up something more detrimental along the same lines.
i'll go the "stale farts"

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I like gimps it just fits them all, players fans the lot.

truehibernian
29-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Agreed - however in my day not many 'tarts' 'jambos' or 'hertz' raised awareness they supported them as they were really unfashionable to openly support (not saying to provoke, just true around Tollcross and Southside).......I think the emergence of Hibs casuals meant Hearts fans kept well under radar. Certainly, Hibs were the poorer relation on the pitch as we were awful to watch and Hearts were the better side (and dirtier :cb), but off it we were by a country mile a more fashionable support - and still are in my opinion.

A friend of mine who 'mixes' with the acting fraternity told me that when football is mentioned amongst actors who follow the game, they know very very little about football up here (other than the OF), but Hibs are always known of and always fondly mentioned but not through football, just because we are seen as 'fashionable' and and a right interesting bunch of folk........Ray Winstone apparently has us as his second team and when at a film premiere at The Cameo was a little 'disparaging' of our neighbours shall we say.......Tom or 'Tam' Cruise watched a Hibs game on telly in a pub with Dougray I am told :greengrin.........

Just wondered folks opinion on 'the hearts'........in the 70's and 80's I can never ever recall them having much of a presence in the city - yet now they feel the need to promote themselves all over the place - I was sitting in a 'fine dining establishment' recently :greengrin and a guy was sitting with his mate and two ladies they were clearly trying to impress........he chirped up, loudly, Hearts are the team followed by people with money, Hibs are followed by people that are a bit 'bohemian'......now whilst I like myself being a little bohemian at times, I nearly choked when he implied Hearts fans are lording it around the city with dosh :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

I felt like paying their bill and disproving their argument and also placing irony on the menu :greengrin

Any Hearts fans looking in.......I am not a fan who looks to provoke and I am perhaps a rarity on here in that I have mates at the club and mates as fans.....hence I am not a rabid anti 'Jambo'.......but would be keen to know if you felt the same in the 80's (did you hide the fact you were a Hearts fan when out on the town ?)

Have to say though......liked Ann Budge's interview this week - for the first time in a long time they have someone with grace and humility at their helm - other than that mess Levein of course. Always a fly in the ointment as they say :greengrin

monktonharp
29-11-2014, 09:52 PM
my son is fluent in ke-Swahili, and assures me the word Jambo, is a friendly term for hello. I tend to say, jambo,****bo to any of my ****bo chums

Bostonhibby
29-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Got to be yam-oddly shaped maroonish pink inanimate objects with an orange centre. Need I say more?

McD
29-11-2014, 10:15 PM
I like to use puddle drinkers to some of them, or knuckle draggers. I think my favourite is probably dirty hearts *******s though.

Liberal Hibby
29-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Have to say though......liked Ann Budge's interview this week - for the first time in a long time they have someone with grace and humility at their helm - other than that mess Levein of course. Always a fly in the ointment as they say :greengrin

I'm impressed by her too. She's the first Hearts owner for 30 years who doesn't seem to buy into the big team nonsense. Before the FTB came on the scene there was a degree of mutual respect and understanding the Old Firm were the teams that needed standing up to. In the mid to late 70s Hibs and Hearts were basically crap - but the mantle of taking on the old firm was taken up by Utd and the Dons.

The long term issue in Scottish football is that no single team is ever going to be strong enough to take on the OF - that's why challengers need to hunt in packs. Hopefully Budge can take some of the heat out of the the Hibs Hearts realationship to allow both teams to go forward - otherwise we carry on like bald men fighting over a comb.

Leith Mo
30-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Those whose name we shall not speak.

H18Y GW
30-11-2014, 04:36 AM
Those whose name we shall not speak.

gunts

Mikey09
01-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Was at work yesterday and there was a wee kids footy tournament on. Had time to watch a bit of it and in one game a wee boy, a hibby as he was telling everyone close enough to him, and a jambo, wearing one of those 5-1 T-shirts, were having a right old battle. Anyway.... The wee jambos team scored a goal and he gave it the big 5-1 hand gesture to this wee lad. I thought he was gonna explode there and then but to my surprise he stayed very composed..... He battled away with his team and for the rest of the game was immense setting up two goals and scoring one himself helping his team to a 4-2 victory. End of the match he made a bee line for his opposite number in the 5-1 t-shirt and said, and I quote.... " Unlucky MUDBLOOD.... That's you's out just like the BIG TEAM will be later!!" It made me laugh... Also got me thinking of some posters on here and there wonderful pet names for "The Famous." What's yer favourite?? And to the wee guy who put down his opponent so well.... :top marks

Keith_M
01-12-2014, 10:35 AM
I realise it was most likely limited to my small circle of friends when I was High School age but we used to refer to them as the Rat Eaters (after the terrace song)

Pete
01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Plebs

Alex Trager
01-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Its ok just use jambo as a prefix to ****s, ***** or ****ers and it works just fine :aok:

On the RARE occasion i use jambo it is almost always followed by one of they starry words.

I usually just use 'hearts' then one of the starrys

Iggy Pope
01-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Hertzcunt first.
Sparryheided hertzcunt second.

Thecat23
01-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Jam tart is a sweet nice little cake so for me that doesn't sit well. Then you have "tart" where again most men like a tart at some point in their life. So ****bo for me and anything else that they don't like. Far as I know they like jam tarts so sorry I won't be calling them that.

*****, ****s, cheats, Seville's, ****, mutants, some of this will be stared out but you get the picture.

Peevemor
01-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Merricks.

Aldo
01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Jam tart is a sweet nice little cake so for me that doesn't sit well. Then you have "tart" where again most men like a tart at some point in their life. So ****bo for me and anything else that they don't like. Far as I know they like jam tarts so sorry I won't be calling them that. *****, ****s, cheats, Seville's, ****, mutants, some of this will be stared out but you get the picture.

Was thinking along the lines of yur last comment TC......

Cheating robbing yam roasters and ***** will do just now. What I wanted to say wouldn't get past the swear filter.

****ing hate that mob and everything and one associated with them.

Iggy Pope
01-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Jam tart is a sweet nice little cake so for me that doesn't sit well. Then you have "tart" where again most men like a tart at some point in their life. So ****bo for me and anything else that they don't like. Far as I know they like jam tarts so sorry I won't be calling them that.

*****, ****s, cheats, Seville's, ****, mutants, some of this will be stared out but you get the picture.

Not Seville surely. They'll start a relationship.

NAE NOOKIE
01-12-2014, 04:43 PM
****s

Thecat23
01-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Not Seville surely. They'll start a relationship.

Damn auto correct!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststandwanab
01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
my son is fluent in ke-Swahili, and assures me the word Jambo, is a friendly term for hello. I tend to say, jambo,****bo to any of my ****bo chums

That is correct, I studied the language at school in Africa or a year in 1972.

hibbiedon
01-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Sorry ! Who?

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Windae lickers

:not worth

The Pointer
01-12-2014, 10:57 PM
The OP and others have written very eloquently and entertainingly which is somewhat rare!

'Jambo' came into being I think, in the eighties, either from us as a shortened, more insulting version of 'Jamtart' or they adopted it as a more swaggering version of the name.

I remember being in Helsinki for a Scotland game and seeing a bar called 'Jambo' which I declined to enter. (A bar called 'Crocodile Dundee' got my custom!)

Rasta_Hibs
02-12-2014, 08:04 AM
They are always referred to as The **** by me!

Diclonius
02-12-2014, 08:45 AM
I just call them Hearts. Giving them a derogatory nickname is too good for them.

02-12-2014, 02:00 PM
I've got plenty names and terms to describe those tramps but its a family forum so best not mention them on here :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Jambo was originally used by Hibs fans as a term of abuse/scorn/derision, and appropriated by them later.

AinsterHibs
02-12-2014, 02:10 PM
I am guilty of spawning the term "Yak", was first used when posting on the Scotsman forums - it drove them mad, and at times still does.

Merrick has a certain appeal to it, including Savilles also :)

edinburghhibs
02-12-2014, 02:37 PM
I just call them Hearts. Giving them a derogatory nickname is too good for them.
:agree:

Craig_HFC
02-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Lost Prophearts

Hibernia&Alba
02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
I like to turn their own epithet against them and call them the wee team. As the two clubs are of very similar size, it fits them just as well.
'The infamous' is good, given their recent conduct.
Mini Huns suits them well
Tramps is to the point.
Maroonics as a play on moronic.

Crops73
02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
I went onto Sickbag to look at their response to their "result" on Sunday :greengrin and saw a thread about names that are used on fansites.

They were asking why we call them Yams and I thought that I actually don't know the history behind this either!

Does anyone know the reason for this name?

Also, why do they call us the Hobos?

I've only ever heard these terms being used on the Internet and have never been called a Hobo by my Jambo supporting colleagues at work. Although I must say I've been called all sorts of other choice names! Is it just an Internet thing?

Sir David Gray
02-12-2014, 05:34 PM
I've never understood the term "yams" to be honest.

It's not a term I've ever used in "real life" or even on here.

It's just never made sense to me.

Hibernia&Alba
02-12-2014, 05:37 PM
The epithet of choice on the Bounce seems to be Guntz, on .net it's Yams.

Hobos is surely just a play on Hibbies - Hibs fans as homeless drifters. I quite like it; it reminds me of John Steinbeck novels and Woody Guthrie songs.

MSK
02-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Say no more ... hearts =13814138151381613817