PDA

View Full Version : Cup v Promotion

PatHead
28-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Straight question - Would you rather win the Cup or gain promotion? Both is not an answer.

I'll go for Cup glory.

3pm
28-11-2014, 01:10 PM
It depends on the circumstances of the promotion! :wink:

PatHead
28-11-2014, 01:11 PM
It depends on the circumstances of the promotion! :wink:

Smart arse. Said straight question

BTW can't believe arse got through the system

S4uzee
28-11-2014, 01:12 PM
100% the cup

scuttle
28-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Cup for me ....as we are unlikely to get promoted this season anyway

3pm
28-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Smart arse. Said straight question

BTW can't believe arse got through the system

:agree:

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
28-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Promotion.

Biggie
28-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Cup....hardly at deaths door, but the years are running out !

Peevemor
28-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Arse!

andrew70
28-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Promotion...Necessity for me. The quicker we get back to where we should be, the quicker we can really start to move forward.

PatHead
28-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Arse!

****, Drink, wimmin?

HibernianJK
28-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Promotion, if finances are tight this year, imagine what they will be next year without 8 games vs hearts and rangers, assuming both go up.

Peevemor
28-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Arse!

:thumbsup:

Frazerbob
28-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Cup.........no question.

Stevie Reid
28-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Cup. Apart from anything else, it would actually be the only thing that could upset the Jambos should they win the league.

lucky
28-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Cup

Andy74
28-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Strange that most people think that being down here another year would be a disaster and that the club have been negligent in not going for promotion - yet we would rather win the cup??

No danger, we need to get back to the top league as quickly as possible. Cups are a bonus and not one I'd risk our well being for the next wee while on. If we don't get up we risk losing some of the decent players we do have and with reduced revenue and crowds next year could be difficult.

Zazu62
28-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Scottish cup every single time .

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Easiest question ever. Cup. Every single time. 113 years FFS. Yeah promotion is really important but there's a fair chance that it won't happen anyway this season so the club will need to be preparing for that scenario. A Scottish cup win would more than cover the costs of another season down here anyway and give everyone a massive boost going into next season. Promotion would be a certainty the year after 😊

Ronniekirk
28-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Yep this for me ,when I was 15 and watching a winning team ,little did I think I would get to 57 and still be waiting on a Scottish Cup Win . Am getting impatient as the years March on

J-C
28-11-2014, 02:18 PM
There's always more chances of winning the cup but we need to be promoted asap so we can get back to where we should be and seeing European football again.

#FromTheCapital
28-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Cup. Only way I'd consider promotion would be if it came via knocking out hearts in the playoffs.

Hermit Crab
28-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Cup. No brainer. Brings with it Europe and the end of a curse. If we won it this season then the high of winning it would see us promoted next season.

Waxy
28-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Cup, and stranger things have happened.

hibbiedon
28-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Cup, I have saw promotion couple of times and time is fast running out for the cup

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Promotion, our bread and butter..............

Diclonius
28-11-2014, 02:48 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Scottish_cup.jpg

Every time.

Billy McKirdy
28-11-2014, 02:48 PM
The cup every time for me to get this monkey off the back, promotion may or may not happen this year but the top league is nothing to get excited about either, until they expand the leagues and get back to meeting once at home and once away the staleness of the fixtures will always remain, the cup is much more important than guaranteeing 4 fixtures a season against Killie or the Arabs or Well.

Billy McKirdy
28-11-2014, 02:50 PM
There's always more chances of winning the cup but we need to be promoted asap so we can get back to where we should be and seeing European football again.
If we win the cup European football will be guaranteed anyway?

SJNB Hibby
28-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Cup. Apart from anything else, it would actually be the only thing that could upset the Jambos should they win the league.

This:agree:

aljo7-0
28-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Cup for me. Promotion would be good but winning the cup will be finding the needle, catching the wild goose and having to put extra jumpers on in Hell all rolled into one.

worcesterhibby
28-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Cup

Andy74
28-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Okay, so it's cool if we chill out on bothering to win league games and we save players for the cup??

You're all mental. The reality of staying in this league for another year whilst probably Rangers and Hearts go up and get ahead of us in further rebuilding would be more concerning than not winning the cup again for another year. We won't have big home games against them to keep the money ticking over either.

Always thought Hearts fans overplayed how bothered we are with the cup but looks as though they are right.

KDY Hibs
28-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Straight question - Would you rather win the Cup or gain promotion? Both is not an answer.

I'll go for Cup glory.

Cup!

Keith_M
28-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Strange that most people think that being down here another year would be a disaster and that the club have been negligent in not going for promotion - yet we would rather win the cup??

No danger, we need to get back to the top league as quickly as possible. Cups are a bonus and not one I'd risk our well being for the next wee while on. If we don't get up we risk losing some of the decent players we do have and with reduced revenue and crowds next year could be difficult.

Being down another year and NOT winning the Cup WOULD put the club in a very difficult financial position (I'm not sure disaster is the word I'd use)

Being down another year and actually winning the bl**dy thing would have Fans calling for Sainthood to be bestowed on Stubbs and Dempster and probably lead to sales of over 10,000 Season Tickets for next season.

p.s. Stuff the OP, I want both! :wink:

frazeHFC
28-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Cup for me too. Wee European trip in the summer would be quality, and then win the league next year. Easy. :wink:

Oscar T Grouch
28-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Being down another year and NOT winning the Cup WOULD put the club in a very difficult financial position (I'm not sure disaster is the word I'd use)

Being down another year and actually winning the bl**dy thing would have Fans calling for Sainthood to be bestowed on Stubbs and Dempster and probably lead to sales of over 10,000 Season Tickets for next season.

p.s. Stuff the OP, I want both! :wink:

This, we can do both :thumbsup:

ANDY McGEECHAN
28-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Yep this for me ,when I was 15 and watching a winning team ,little did I think I would get to 57 and still be waiting on a Scottish Cup Win . Am getting impatient as the years March on

Been down the very same road mate. But hey ho you never know.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Promo for me. Don't get our SC fetish. Both cup tournaments devalued over last twenty years to Mickey Mouse status.

Sudds_1
28-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Cup. No brainer. Brings with it Europe and the end of a curse. If we won it this season then the high of winning it would see us promoted next season.

Exactly! win win for us. Lets face it we're not going to win the SPL...so what other incentive is there to go straight back up? A top 6 finish and (perhaps) a Euro spot? Optimistic as we continue to e-build and resolve years of neglect.

Cup gives us a euro spot.....and will come with plenty additional revenue. That lets us continue to consolidate for next year if we fail to get promoted.

superfurryhibby
28-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Cup-no questions.

GreensesArab
28-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Okay, so it's cool if we chill out on bothering to win league games and we save players for the cup??

You're all mental. The reality of staying in this league for another year whilst probably Rangers and Hearts go up and get ahead of us in further rebuilding would be more concerning than not winning the cup again for another year. We won't have big home games against them to keep the money ticking over either.

Always thought Hearts fans overplayed how bothered we are with the cup but looks as though they are right.

It's the Cup for me Andy. Not winning it for so long has become a millstone round the club's neck. Therefore to win it would lift that burden and generate positivity that would lead to improvement on the pitch in all competitions; league, Cup etc.

H18S NX
28-11-2014, 03:45 PM
As i am nearly 63 yrs old,it has to be the cup.

Stevie Reid
28-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Always thought Hearts fans overplayed how bothered we are with the cup

I agree that that was the case a few years ago but sadly the media also picked up on it big time, and it has turned into a bit of a monster, and something round our neck when it comes to this time every year. The fact that Hearts have won a few fairly recently, not to mention the last one, makes it worse.

At the end of the day, whilst winning promotion probably should be a clear priority, winning the Scottish this year would be a great achievement for us - and I think would be rejoiced more, and remembered longer than getting back into the SPL.

However, if we were somehow to win the league ahead of Hearts this year, that would be pretty special as well...

iwasthere1972
28-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Cup so long as it doesn't take 102 years to gain promotion.

J-C
28-11-2014, 03:58 PM
If we win the cup European football will be guaranteed anyway?

But we'll be stuck down here for another season :confused:

lapsedhibee
28-11-2014, 04:03 PM
can't believe arse got through the system

Arse has to get through or the debate about whether Welbeck will score more goals for his team than Rooney and/or Di Maria for theirs will be peppered with asterisks, and look daft.

Even if one of the three signs for Scunthorpe, the elegant composition of the thread will be maintained - thanks to this enlightened filtering policy of the admin pricks.

mim
28-11-2014, 04:04 PM
What a total no brainer. I've seen a couple of promotions and I'll definitely see another. The Scottish is the holy grail - and faither is 96, he cannae hang on for ever.

ballengeich
28-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Cup, I have saw promotion couple of times and time is fast running out for the cup

Me too:greengrin. Agree 100%

NAE NOOKIE
28-11-2014, 04:37 PM

Me too .... when you have more years behind you than in front of you the cup gets more and more important. I know two guys about my age who have died waiting.

jacomo
28-11-2014, 04:44 PM

I agree with you. The top league is ***** as well but it's where we need to be - promotion would also come at expense of one of the Hun brothers which would be pleasing.

Albanian Hibs
28-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Cup please

Thecat23
28-11-2014, 05:58 PM
League everytime for me. The longer the club is down here the worse it is for us. Waited long enough another year wouldn't make any difference.

Pete
28-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Cup every time. Scottish or league, it's all the same to me.

That's what the game is all about and if um being honest, I don't really care what league we play in. As long as it's hibs.

offshorehibby
28-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Cup

erin go bragh
28-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Well we have won the cup in every century bar this one , so we still have another 85 shots in this century . Promotion for me if we pip them for the title on the last day on goal difference . Lol

Ggtth

Sir David Gray
28-11-2014, 06:40 PM
We need to be back in the big league as soon as possible and if we go up this season, it means that at least one out of Hearts or Sevco haven't been promoted and condemning either one of them to another season of Championship football would be very pleasing indeed.

Islington Hibs
28-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Well we have won the cup in every century bar this one , so we still have another 85 shots in this century . Promotion for me if we pip them for the title on the last day on goal difference . Lol

Ggtth

like the logic but I'll take a bird in the hand. Cup please. :flag:

Lee Marvin
28-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Simplest answer ever. Scottish cup. Cannot believe any hibs fan would chose promotion over that - especially since it's looking very unlikely already.

Cup win would be the best day of my life. Promotion wouldn't.

hibee
28-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Cup, quite enjoying playing different teams this season.

whiskyhibby
28-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Cup for me, I'd take a drunken week off to celebrate, somewhere exotic!

HH81
28-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Cup. Just imagine cup final evening. No promotion could ever beat it.

We can go up next year.

GGTTH07
28-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Cup every day for me! Just imagine it. Edinburgh would be **** heevin!

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Cup every day for me! Just imagine it. Edinburgh would be **** heevin!

Aye, and we can't even sell our allocation for Alloa.......

lyonhibs
28-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Cup 100% for me

Andy74
28-11-2014, 07:55 PM
League everytime for me. The longer the club is down here the worse it is for us. Waited long enough another year wouldn't make any difference.

Exactly. Some hugely underestimating how bad another year here could be for us.

If we go up we have more chances of cups and Europe for more years to come.

This isn't the year to pick the cup over what we need to do in the league.

Thecat23
28-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Exactly. Some hugely underestimating how bad another year here could be for us.

If we go up we have more chances of cups and Europe for more years to come.

This isn't the year to pick the cup over what we need to do in the league.

Exactly how I see it. This is a league that is a novelty for some, but the longer we are here the worse it will be for the funds and the club! We have a very good manager and LD is doing well. If we were stuck here I couldn't see them hanging about. Cups are a bonus but going up for me is priority over everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Exactly how I see it. This is a league that is a novelty for some, but the longer we are here the worse it will be for the funds and the club! We have a very good manager and LD is doing well. If we were stuck here I couldn't see them hanging about. Cups are a bonus but going up for me is priority over everything.

:agree::agree::agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Good news is we don't have to choose ;)

Sir David Gray
28-11-2014, 08:09 PM

It's a tough one given how long it's been since we last won the Scottish Cup and everyone is desperate for us to win it at least once in our lifetime.

I can understand why the elderly members of our support might prefer to see us win the Scottish Cup but for anyone under the age of about 60, I think it has to be the league.

Thecat23
28-11-2014, 08:12 PM
It's a tough one given how long it's been since we last won the Scottish Cup and everyone is desperate for us to win it at least once in our lifetime.

I can understand why the elderly members of our support might prefer to see us win the Scottish Cup but for anyone under the age of about 60, I think it has to be the league.

Don't get me wrong it's a tough one for many of us. Like you say the older guys wanting to see it like my dad for one. Although he still thinks going up is better for Hibs and putting his own feelings aside. Seeing Hibs win the Scottish with my dad by my side is the one thing I truly wish to happen. With each year that passes the chances fade as he's getting old now and his health isn't great.

Then again, who's to say we can't do both and shock the Hibs fans into delirium [emoji6]

lord bunberry
28-11-2014, 08:23 PM
I can't believr how many hibs fans have given up on us going up this season. In my opinion we are at least equal to any team in this league, we've left it late to mount a challenge for the league, but there's absolutely no reason why we can't go up through the play offs.

brianmc
28-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Winning trophies is what fitba is all about, or should be. As I can't see us winning the league this year then winning THAT cup has to be our best chance of silverware.

NB: I'd actually still vote cup even if we were as far ahead in the league as the maroon balloons :)

judas
28-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Arse, arse, arse! Testing. Arse!

Eyrie
28-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Cup for me.

Although beating those Scunthorpes to the league title would be an acceptable consolation.

EastCalderHibby
28-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Cup for me ....as we are unlikely to get promoted this season anyway

what makes you think that

monktonharp
28-11-2014, 10:08 PM

I'll go for Cup glory.cup please. we have not been a top flight club for years now

monktonharp
28-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Don't get me wrong it's a tough one for many of us. Like you say the older guys wanting to see it like my dad for one. Although he still thinks going up is better for Hibs and putting his own feelings aside. Seeing Hibs win the Scottish with my dad by my side is the one thing I truly wish to happen. With each year that passes the chances fade as he's getting old now and his health isn't great.

Then again, who's to say we can't do both and shock the Hibs fans into delirium [emoji6]

If that happens this year, I'll personally eat, in front of my grandbairns, the best photograph I have of my Ma and Da's wedding.

HibernianJK
28-11-2014, 10:17 PM
It is strange that when this was the debate a couple of seasons ago the majority chose staying in the Premier League ahead of winning the cup? Why is getting back there not the most important thing?

Thecat23
28-11-2014, 10:51 PM
If that happens this year, I'll personally eat, in front of my grandbairns, the best photograph I have of my Ma and Da's wedding.

[emoji23]

Borderhibbie76
29-11-2014, 11:44 AM
The league is more important this year... No doubt in my mind. Cant believe so many giving up easily on this.... We can get up thru play offs as imo we are the equal of sevco and any of murderwell, ross county or st mirren!

HibbyKeith
29-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Head says promotion. Heart says Cup.

Cup it is!

emerald green
29-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Promotion. I couldn't give a toss about the cup. :fibber:

Eyrie
29-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Presumably those that prefer promotion will not be involved in the usual scramble for tickets when we reach the cup final?

:fishin:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Exactly, and some folk still don't think there is a crisis going on right now at Easter Road. :crazy: Staying in the Championship next season WILL cause all sorts of problems, some that dont bare thinking about.

Lets just get up this season and win the cup later, its not as if we miss not winning the bloody thing.

ian cruise
29-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Has to be promotion for me. Best chance of keeping Allan, Malonga, etc is if we are playing in top division. Cup win without promotion just increases the chance someone else takes them from us and we aren't as fortunate with replacements. Added that us going up means either hearts (ideally) or rangers don't go up.

Keith_M
29-11-2014, 04:16 PM
The two are not mutually exclusive; it's really not an either/or situation.

I want Hibs to get promoted and at least give it a good shot in the Cup (though I would prefer not to be Runners-Up again)

hfc rd
29-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Definitely Scottish Cup.

Baldy Foghorn
29-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Presumably those that prefer promotion will not be involved in the usual scramble for tickets when we reach the cup final?

:fishin:

I want promotion but won't have any problem getting a CF ticket, have a ST, so no problems......Love talk of scrambles when we never sold our allocation at Alloa today....:greengrin

emerald green
29-11-2014, 06:47 PM
I want promotion but won't have any problem getting a CF ticket, have a ST, so no problems......Love talk of scrambles when we never sold our allocation at Alloa today....:greengrin

Crowd at St Mirren v ICT today was 1,957. Worrying times for Scottish football.

allezsauzee
29-11-2014, 08:25 PM

They would maybe have to think up some songs to sing about their own players rather than singing about our cup record :tee hee:

Greenworld
29-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Why wont we get promote

Swedish hibee
29-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Cup. I've been waiting my whole life time.

Baldy Foghorn
29-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Cup. I've been waiting my whole life time.

Everyone has:wink:

Squealing pig
29-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Stubbs will be the legendary manager that does it maybe not this year but I have confidence in the guy

stu in nottingham
29-11-2014, 09:36 PM
I'd choose the Scottish Cup. It would bring good revenue through increased support and involvement in Europe the subsequent season. I'd predict that the huge momentum potentially initiated would see the Hibs being dominant in the Championship the following term and securing promotion too.

Similar happened with Sunderland after their famous 1973 FA Cup win over Leeds United, though I think it took them one extra season to be promoted. They had their only (I believe) run out in Europe in their history after qualifying for the Cup Winners Cup.

For a choice between the cup and the Premiership, I'd go for the Premiership but at this level, I think they could have the best of both worlds with a cup win.

Selfishly, in this case, I'd like the celebration please as well!

Nameless
30-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Cup. If hibs win the cup, next season I'll get a season ticket for me, my son, his cousin, my cousin, my best mate, his daughter, her friend......

SanFranHibs
30-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Promotion. We've waited this long for the Cup and can afford to wait for that day but we cannot affoed to linger in the lower divisions. And I doubt very much that their fans joy of winning the league would be spoilt if we were still in this division for at least one more year. Remember, this is that bunch who thought beating us in the cup final was worth extinction. After the dust has settled they would love us to be the club struggling to get back to the top flight. And I think the lustre of the cup would quickly fade for us if we were still down here, possibly having a bad season and they were flying high in the top division.

We need to get back to where we belong. Not just in the SPL but challenging in the top four. We had a couple of good cup runs recently and they just softened the blow of bad league performances. They did not do anything to help us stop the slide of the past few years.

Itsnoteasy
30-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Promotion, if finances are tight this year, imagine what they will be next year without 8 games vs hewinning and rangers, assuming both go up.

I think a run to final and a win would generate plenty. Everyman and their dug would empty the shop of any merchandise linked to winning the cup. Abd season tickets would rocket. More than make up for 8 games against the cheats.

Itsnoteasy
30-11-2014, 10:41 AM
I think a run to final and a win would generate plenty. Everyman and their dug would empty the shop of any merchandise linked to winning the cup. Abd season tickets would rocket. More than make up for 8 games against the cheats.

Yes cup for me

Itsnoteasy
30-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Remember the last time we cantered the first division it was the highest average crowd for years. Fans always follow a winning team

Speedy
01-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Promotion, if finances are tight this year, imagine what they will be next year without 8 games vs hearts and rangers, assuming both go up.

Aye, but we'd have higher DVD sales than Frozen :greengrin

Cup 100% for me.

Also, as an aside. Us staying in this division doesn't guarantee Hearts and Rangers being promoted.

Speedy
02-12-2014, 12:00 AM
The two are not mutually exclusive; it's really not an either/or situation.

I want Hibs to get promoted and at least give it a good shot in the Cup (though I would prefer not to be Runners-Up again)

They are in hypothetical threads.

It's a question of preference, we're not actually having to sign up to one or the other.

IberianHibernian
02-12-2014, 12:09 AM
If we get to final again ( 3 finals in 4 years would be impressive by any standards ) and lose to league winners would we get into Europe ? Seem to remember talk of stopping place for runners up if from lower division . If no runners up place for lower division teams would we get into Europe as cup runners up if promoted in league ? ie would it be based on division this year or next ? Fully aware that any European campaign would almost definitely be over in July .

Sir David Gray
02-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Remember the last time we cantered the first division it was the highest average crowd for years. Fans always follow a winning team

Our average home attendance during the season that we were last in the first division was actually down by around 1500 on the season before when we were relegated.

kaimendhibs
02-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Cup, 100%

One Day
02-12-2014, 08:15 AM

Exactly how I feel

Hermit Crab
02-12-2014, 08:19 AM
No brainer.

Eyrie
02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Our average home attendance during the season that we were last in the first division was actually down by around 1500 on the season before when we were relegated.

Probably because we didn't have six home games against the Ugly Sisters and Yams. The home support was similar but there were far fewer in the away end.

eastterrace
02-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Probably because we didn't have six home games against the Ugly Sisters and Yams. The home support was similar but there were far fewer in the away end.

spot on mate the home gates were pretty healthy, like you said we lost out the the six home games against that lot thats why the attendance might show we were down.