PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs/Dempster

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Have turned this club around. Loads of work to be done, but as an organisation, both on and off the pitch, it's night and day compared to when they took over.

As I say, more to come, the home form really needs to improve, but credit where it's due.

Bostonhibby
27-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Have turned this club around. Loads of work to be done, but as an organisation, both on and off the pitch, it's night and day compared to when they took over.

As I say, more to come, the home form really needs to improve, but credit where it's due.

:agree:

HoboHarry
27-11-2014, 10:26 PM
:agree:

Do you live in Boston? I will be there next week

CraigHibee
27-11-2014, 10:33 PM

absolutely bud, feel much better now than i did at the end of last season, as you say still loads to be done but we are heading in the right direction :aok:

Bostonhibby
27-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Do you live in Boston? I will be there next week

Deeping Saint James - 40 minutes south - quicker if theres no tractors:greengrin Go up to Boston for the odd game, and there's plenty odd games and other oddities in Boston - what you there for?

monktonharp
27-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Deeping Saint James - 40 minutes south - quicker if theres no tractors:greengrin Go up to Boston for the odd game, and there's plenty odd games and other oddities in Boston - what you there for?Is there not a jail there? could be visiting a relative:wink:

monktonharp
27-11-2014, 10:44 PM
I would say there has been improvement to a certain degree, but I would also say......hardly night and day. last season was one of the most frustrating I've witnessed as a Hibs fan. it sort of went.....we only need 5 points, we need 3 points, a point would see us safe and then what happened.

Ozyhibby
27-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Haven't won at home for more than two months.
Think I'll reserve judgement.

Bostonhibby
27-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Is there not a jail there? could be visiting a relative:wink:

:agree: North Sea Camp open prison - handy for popping into Boston for the day and still be home for lights out.

PatHead
27-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Wonder how Stubbs statistics compare to his recent predecessors now. Though the fact we are in a lower division needs to be taken into account.

Trig?

Thecat23
27-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Stubbs and the coaches he has brought will prove to be the best thing Hibs have done in many years. Will take a little more time but with the little money he's been given he's done very well. Left with a very poor squad and now getting something out them.

Long way to go but I'm delighted we have Stubbs.

Jack
27-11-2014, 11:12 PM
It's night and day but we were in a very, very dark place before.

Still lots to do and so long as no blogger turns that, at the moment, very dim light off at the end of the tunnel there is hope.

Northernhibee
27-11-2014, 11:21 PM
The signings that he's brought in have been class acts. David Gray is the best right back we've had in years, Scott Allan is outstanding, Oxley looks decent, Fontaine is a good centre back, McGeough looks very good indeed and both El Alagui and Malonga have shown their ability to find the net when playing.

He's also brought the best out of the likes of Stevenson, Cummings and others and has shown he has a plan B in terms of tactics.

Dempster has improved communication big time.

Ozyhibby
27-11-2014, 11:27 PM
The signings that he's brought in have been class acts. David Gray is the best right back we've had in years, Scott Allan is outstanding, Oxley looks decent, Fontaine is a good centre back, McGeough looks very good indeed and both El Alagui and Malonga have shown their ability to find the net when playing.

He's also brought the best out of the likes of Stevenson, Cummings and others and has shown he has a plan B in terms of tactics.

Dempster has improved communication big time.

Jury out on Fontaine for me and you totally forgot Sinclair and Kennedy?

Criswell
27-11-2014, 11:53 PM
There are definitely encouraging signs. Perhaps lessons are finally being learnt. My message to Leeann and Alan is: keep up the good work. Onwards and upwards!

jacomo
28-11-2014, 12:04 AM
I would say there has been improvement to a certain degree, but I would also say......hardly night and day. last season was one of the most frustrating I've witnessed as a Hibs fan. it sort of went.....we only need 5 points, we need 3 points, a point would see us safe and then what happened.

Last season was horrendous. But we've been **** for years. At last we have a coach who sends a team out to play football and players that want to do it.

And it was LD who binned Butcher and brought AS in. She's had a bumpy start and made some mistakes, but she got this decision right.

matty_f
28-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Jury out on Fontaine for me and you totally forgot Sinclair and Kennedy?

Cheer up!

HappyHibby93
28-11-2014, 01:11 AM
Definitely, Stubbs and Dempster will be the best signings we ever make. So far so good, to big changes, that needed to be made are being made. The home form will come in time, I've no doubt of that.

HoboHarry
28-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Deeping Saint James - 40 minutes south - quicker if theres no tractors:greengrin Go up to Boston for the odd game, and there's plenty odd games and other oddities in Boston - what you there for?

Business. Have to visit Natick mall and then Marketstreet mall in lynnefield in the afternoon. Third visit in about 3 months. Really like Boston too so no hardship lol

Steve20
28-11-2014, 03:21 AM
We've improved but not by the great lengths people make out. We're 16 points behind Hearts already. I said since day one this season that anything other than promotion and it's failure and I stand by that. But the football isn't eye bleeding anymore like the last few years, to be fair.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2014, 06:23 AM

Me too. It's too early to say we've turned the corner, IMO. There have been positives in the past few weeks, but it's very early days.

Oscar T Grouch
28-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Cheer up!

That's a bit like asking night to stop being so dark 😉

Not saying Ozy is a wee bit negative sometimes or any thing 😂

Bostonhibby
28-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Business. Have to visit Natick mall and then Marketstreet mall in lynnefield in the afternoon. Third visit in about 3 months. Really like Boston too so no hardship lol
Me too,it's changing a lot.plenty character pubs that haven't changed in decades.you will be near dolphin lane.pop into the indian queen if you are interested in Victorian history[emoji1]

Ozyhibby
28-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Cheer up!

The minute we are back in the premier league, I promise.

whiskyhibby
28-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Definitely, Stubbs and Dempster will be the best signings we ever make. So far so good, to big changes, that needed to be made are being made. The home form will come in time, I've no doubt of that.

Completely agree, I think the future of the club is bright if we can hold onto these two

Pretty Boy
28-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Over the last few years Hibs have been like a walking expedition that has been badly led and managed to wander hundreds of miles off course, no real idea of where they should be going and have taken a few stabs in the dark hoping to find the right path. LD has seemed to find out how a compass works and started to get us back onto the right track, sadly we are so far off course that is going to take a long time to find our way.

I absolve Stubbs and Dempster of almost all blame for the start to this season, previous regimes both in the boardroom and the dug out are to blame for that. We need to keep improving now and either win a play off or build a side with a chance of making a push for promotion next year.

The state the club was allowed to get into infuriates me, and that isn't based on petty sniping or rumours it's coming from the club themselves, but we are slowly making progress. Still a long road ahead though imo.

Ronniekirk
28-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Me too. It's too early to say we've turned the corner, IMO. There have been positives in the past few weeks, but it's very early days.

I accept home form remains a crucial issue that has to be sorted out but for me I have seen enough to tell me we are a club on the up and LD has to be given credit where credit is due You have to look at the mess we were in and the clear improvements made in a fairly short period of time .The next two Transfer window will improve things further if Stubbs is allowed to bring in his first choice targets .
But agree 2015 has to see us start consistently winning at home .

As we have seen the squad is still needing added to as when we get suspensions and injuries we are not able to cope but that's not Stubbs fault

If Farid can form Partnership with Malonga then we will be onto a winning combination as they both offer different styles but both have goals in them .
foster s injury couldn't of come at a worse time as he needs games to continue developing and he is also goal threat
I have high hopes for next year and I am confident tide will turn in Derby games ,we just need to believe that bit more that we can beat them and when we do it once I think we will kick on

patlowe
28-11-2014, 09:40 AM
I think the jury is still out on a tactical level but the poster that mentioned the quality of the signings is spot on IMO. Getting in the right characters at the right level of ability has clearly been a problem for managers of the recent past, you only have to look at our quest for a decent right back since Whittaker left for evidence of this. Stubbs came in and solved that problem straight away.

Gray, Allan, McGeouch, Farid and Malonga, not to mention a few others that show promise, are really impressive signings and, for me, prove that it is not about screaming at the board to "break the bank" or "speculating to accumulate", it is about having a competent management team in place with an actual strategy for improvement. If we can get a couple more in at a similar level in January then I'm confident that we are on to a winner. Permanent contract for McGeouch as well please :aok:

Stevie Reid
28-11-2014, 11:14 AM

No, but we also haven't lost a league game in over two months, and by November we have won only two less games than we did in all of last season. The football is good and the way we have coped with major injury setbacks in recent weeks has been excellent.

Don't underestimate the size of the task that Stubbs and Dempster had ahead of them when they came in. We are improving, of that there is no doubt, and there is much to be positive about - if you choose to be.

Keith_M
28-11-2014, 11:22 AM
No, but we also haven't lost a league game in over two months, and by November we have won only two less games than we did in all of last season. The football is good and the way we have coped with major injury setbacks in recent weeks has been excellent.

Don't underestimate the size of the task that Stubbs and Dempster had ahead of them when they came in. We are improving, of that there is no doubt, and there is much to be positive about - if you choose to be.

I'm happy at the way Dempster and Stubbs have been working so far but the bit in bold is a difficult one to make a genuine comparison, as we are now one league lower. TBH, I'd expect an improvement in results merely based on the difference in opposition.

That's not meant to be negative but just trying to get an honest appraisal of how far we've come.

alexedwards
28-11-2014, 11:27 AM

Agree, jury's still out on most aspects.

Stevie Reid
28-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm happy at the way Dempster and Stubbs have been working so far but the bit in bold is a difficult one to make a genuine comparison, as we are now one league lower. TBH, I'd expect an improvement in results merely based on the difference in opposition.

That's not meant to be negative but just trying to get an honest appraisal of how far we've come.

Of course, and I knew that argument would come up - but it's also a reflection of how utterly dire we were in the league above, not to mention the fact that we were completely played off the park by the team that finished second in the Championship in May.

Throw in the fact that we beat SPL opposition in the League Cup before the titanic battle with Dundee Utd - one the best SPL sides around - and the fact that our league now contains Rangers and Hearts, it shows that it doesn't simply come down to playing weaker opposition.

I am in no way under any illusions that we should be performing well in this league, but Stubbs and Dempster inherited a broken club that needed major surgery, and as such we should give them credit for what they've done.

Isn't that what supporters should do, after all?

oregonhibby
28-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Having been down to the training centre twice and seen the work that is going on in the sports science, match preparation and player identification it is clear to me that the building blocks are being laid.

It will take time but the signs are there

Keith_M
28-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Of course, and I knew that argument would come up - but it's also a reflection of how utterly dire we were in the league above, not to mention the fact that we were completely played off the park by the team that finished second in the Championship in May.

Throw in the fact that we beat SPL opposition in the League Cup before the titanic battle with Dundee Utd - one the best SPL sides around - and the fact that our league now contains Rangers and Hearts, it shows that it doesn't simply come down to playing weaker opposition.

I am in no way under any illusions that we should be performing well in this league, but Stubbs and Dempster inherited a broken club that needed major surgery, and as such we should give them credit for what they've done.

Isn't that what supporters should do, after all?

You'll be happy to hear I agree with all of that

:greengrin

Stevie Reid
28-11-2014, 11:58 AM
You'll be happy to hear I agree with all of that

:greengrin

Delighted! :aok:

Beefster
28-11-2014, 12:23 PM

That's one way to spin it. It could also be spun as not having lost at home in three months. I think I've got a sunnier outlook on Hibs than you though.

Mathias Jack
28-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Wonder how Stubbs statistics compare to his recent predecessors now. Though the fact we are in a lower division needs to be taken into account.

Trig?

In all competitions; won 8, drawn 4, lost 6...translates to won 44%, drawn 22%, lost 33%

Here's the rest though, Wikipedia not being the best source but i'm sure it's accurate enough!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers#Managers

PatHead
28-11-2014, 12:45 PM
In all competitions; won 8, drawn 4, lost 6...translates to won 44%, drawn 22%, lost 33%

Here's the rest though, Wikipedia not being the best source but i'm sure it's accurate enough!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers#Managers

Thanks. Really interesting stats.

Can't believe Jock Stein, what a record!

InterviewLoI
28-11-2014, 01:06 PM
I couldn't bring myself to fly over to ER last year. I was a bit embarassed of everything that was going on, and the stories about TB were really shocking. I have met him a few times and I never could have envisaged that.

Since LD has come in my view has become more positive, with her saying all the right things. I have more plans to come to ER, and that is totally because of LD

Ozyhibby
28-11-2014, 01:09 PM
That's one way to spin it. It could also be spun as not having lost at home in three months. I think I've got a sunnier outlook on Hibs than you though.

You probably do but mine has most accurately reflected reality recently, would you not say?
I like the new structure and I'm impressed with the words of Leeann and George Craig. I like the style of football from Stubbs and I like a few of the new signings.
It all sounds good but it needs to be transferred into results, which so far have not been good enough. Not nearly good enough.
On a similar playing budget, also with a rookie manager and having came through a major upheaval at their club, the yams have managed 16 more points than us. That's not good enough. We need to get a lot more ruthless.
That's not me being negative, that's just me explaining what I expect us to do.
There are signs of improvement but not nearly enough.

Stevie Reid
28-11-2014, 02:01 PM
You probably do but mine has most accurately reflected reality recently, would you not say?
I like the new structure and I'm impressed with the words of Leeann and George Craig. I like the style of football from Stubbs and I like a few of the new signings.
It all sounds good but it needs to be transferred into results, which so far have not been good enough. Not nearly good enough.
On a similar playing budget, also with a rookie manager and having came through a major upheaval at their club, the yams have managed 16 more points than us. That's not good enough. We need to get a lot more ruthless.

The Hearts situation is pretty different, as you are well aware - despite being relegated, and knowing they were going down for a long time, they were absolutely buoyant from still being in existence. Also, their rookie manager was already working at Hearts, having spent most of his career there - and the Director of Football above him had spent his whole career at Hearts, as well as doing a good job of managing them previously. The positivity there was massive, and the season ticket sales were huge from a support that were ready to get behind their team and club 100%.

The atmosphere around Tynie couldn't be more different from at ER, where we were relegated after being seconds away from staying up, and then allowed the manager to get rid of a huge amount of players, before then sacking him. The support was at its lowest ebb, and Stubbs came into a club that was completely broken 6 weeks before the season started and had to bring in an assistant and backroom staff, as well as signing players in time for the new season. We lost 13 of our last 19 matches last season, and Stubbs had to deal with a club that couldn't have had lower morale, and players whose confidence was completely shot. We floundered for a bit, but have very much found our feet in recent weeks.

Apart from anything else, as much as it pains me to say it, Hearts' form at the moment is exceptional - they have only dropped 4 points and have a win percentage of 86% from 14 games; incredible form in any league, especially when they haven't always looked that impressive. It's a but unfair to criticise us for not hitting those heights, especially given where we've come from.

KeithTheHibby
28-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I think there is a real belief in this squad which was missing last season. Stubbs has belief in the players and vice versa. The team look far more confident. Stubbs has brought in good players and we are seeing that now. If only we could improve the home form we would be a lot closer to the other pair.
An early goal in home games and its entirely different.

JimBHibees
28-11-2014, 02:26 PM
The Hearts situation is pretty different, as you are well aware - despite being relegated, and knowing they were going down for a long time, they were absolutely buoyant from still being in existence. Also, their rookie manager was already working at Hearts, having spent most of his career there - and the Director of Football above him had spent his whole career at Hearts, as well as doing a good job of managing them previously. The positivity there was massive, and the season ticket sales were huge from a support that were ready to get behind their team and club 100%.

The atmosphere around Tynie couldn't be more different from at ER, where we were relegated after being seconds away from staying up, and then allowed the manager to get rid of a huge amount of players, before then sacking him. The support was at its lowest ebb, and Stubbs came into a club that was completely broken 6 weeks before the season started and had to bring in an assistant and backroom staff, as well as signing players in time for the new season. We lost 13 of our last 19 matches last season, and Stubbs had to deal with a club that couldn't have had lower morale, and players whose confidence was completely shot. We floundered for a bit, but have very much found our feet in recent weeks.

Apart from anything else, as much as it pains me to say it, Hearts' form at the moment is exceptional - they have only dropped 4 points and have a win percentage of 86% from 14 games; incredible form in any league, especially when they haven't always looked that impressive. It's a but unfair to criticise us for not hitting those heights, especially given where we've come from.

Great post that perspective really does need to be taken into account when analysing managerial performance.

Robinho08
28-11-2014, 02:30 PM
There's definitely improvements, on and off the park. Still a fair bit to go, but I feel far more optimistic. 😆

Bobby's Cinema
28-11-2014, 02:56 PM
:agree: I'm on this side of it. I think if Ozturk doesn't ping one in then I'd be more convinced we'd turned the corner. As it was, a great performance turned into another kick in the teeth.

I heard people around me saying a draw with QOTS was not bad, but we never chased the game like we should have and it was another week we were dropping points. That's the mentality and why we won't go up as champions.

There is no question though that the style of football is night and day from what we were watching before.

Andy74
28-11-2014, 03:04 PM

Good post Stevie. Totally agree.

snooky
28-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Demps and Stubbster have definitely made an improvement.
TBH, given the shambles that Hibs were, it couldn't have been too hard a job to made things better. That's how bad we were.
So it's onwards and upwards - hopefully.

weonlywon6-2
28-11-2014, 06:48 PM
There's a big difference to last year now that we have settled a bit,once we get all our players back we could be onto something good

PatHead
29-11-2014, 03:02 AM
Demps and Stubbster have definitely made an improvement.
TBH, given the shambles that Hibs were, it couldn't have been too hard a job to made things better. That's how bad we were.
So it's onwards and upwards - hopefully.

Not so sure about that. There was a culture of failure and acceptance of defeat which had grown over a number of seasons. That was a culture that needed changing and replaced by a more positive outlook, which could have taken a lot longer. A number of previous managers, since Mowbray had failed to alter it.

Some credit is due for that massive step.

Forza Fred
29-11-2014, 07:18 AM
He's cutting his teeth as a manager, and learning as he goes.

I'm quite impressed by him, although obviously there will be a few stumbles along the way.

LD inherited a situation she could not have envisaged when she agreed to take the job, and hopefully has grown a thicker skin as a result of her post on this forum, and a realisation that us punters are very very frustrated at what's gone on before.

I hope she sticks around, and DOES significantly improve things.

scoopyboy
29-11-2014, 08:08 AM
The minute we are back in the premier league, I promise.

I will be a lot happier when we are back in the top league as well.

However apart from the two Scottish Cup runs the last few seasons have been miserable and I am enjoying watching Hibs again. For enjoyment I'm not sure that there is much difference between grovelling about in the bottom six or being in the top half of the Championship,

I like what Hibs are trying to do and the mess that Butcher / Malpas has left us in beggars belief. FWIW my view is if Stubbs had been appointed instead of Butcher not only would we have stayed up but we would be doing well in the top flight this season.

Supporters of clubs in the top league aren't particularly enjoying it and I think most clubs will see attendances drop off as the season goes on, and many aren't getting good crowds just now.

I was up at East Mains yesterday afternoon to watch a game and there is a buzz about the place. AS was still there when I left long after the first team squad left as was Joe McBride and Eddie May.

I think we are on the right track for the first time in many years.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2014, 08:24 AM

However apart from the two Scottish Cup runs the last few seasons have been miserable and I am enjoying watching Hibs again. For enjoyment I'm not sure that there is much difference between grovelling about in the bottom six or being in the top half of the Championship,

I like what Hibs are trying to do and the mess that Butcher / Malpas has left us in beggars belief. FWIW my view is if Stubbs had been appointed instead of Butcher not only would we have stayed up but we would be doing well in the top flight this season.

Supporters of clubs in the top league aren't particularly enjoying it and I think most clubs will see attendances drop off as the season goes on, and many aren't getting good crowds just now.

I was up at East Mains yesterday afternoon to watch a game and there is a buzz about the place. AS was still there when I left long after the first team squad left as was Joe McBride and Eddie May.

Stubbs is working from 8-6 almost every day. He really does come accross as extremely dedicated to the job.

Ozyhibby
29-11-2014, 12:14 PM

All good to hear but I've been fooled by the talk from Easter road before. I'm supportive of the changes to the structure of the club. I and many others on here have been saying we should have this kind of set up for years.
But for me just now, it's about results. And they are not good enough yet.
And so long as Petrie remains in the building, I will remain sceptical of everything the club do.