PDA

View Full Version : Yogi

4 Front Teeth
27-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Great to see how well he is doing - great thread from the ITC fans who all appear to like his progressive style of play.
http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/28850-john-hughes-the-real-deal/ (http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/28850-john-hughes-the-real-deal/)
I think Latapy must be a help, I remember reading stories about how he got the team together and created great morale - I think I read he had a pool table at his house and got everyone round to play.

How nice would it be to have a thread on here praising the manager and discussing how this is as good as it gets!
Sadly I believe most managers who do well for even half a season with us will be off like a shot whilst Yogi would have seen it through. A shame we turned against him for what seemed to me to be daft reasons e.g. how he speaks, or how clever he seems to be.

Maybe next year! Come on Stubs and the boys!

KeithTheHibby
27-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Great to see how well he is doing - great thread from the ITC fans who all appear to like his progressive style of play.
http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/28850-john-hughes-the-real-deal/ (http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/28850-john-hughes-the-real-deal/)
I think Latapy must be a help, I remember reading stories about how he got the team together and created great morale - I think I read he had a pool table at his house and got everyone round to play.

How nice would it be to have a thread on here praising the manager and discussing how this is as good as it gets!
Sadly I believe most managers who do well for even half a season with us will be off like a shot whilst Yogi would have seen it through. A shame we turned against him for what seemed to me to be daft reasons e.g. how he speaks, or how clever he seems to be.

Maybe a bit harsh. Yogi had an excellent first 6 months however we stumbled over the line for a place in Europe. Still a fine season by our standard.
The season after he seemed very limited in having the ability to turn things around, hence the reason he was sacked?

Delighted to see him do so well with Caley.

Kato
27-11-2014, 01:40 PM
A shame we turned against him for what seemed to me to be daft reasons e.g. how he speaks, or how clever he seems to be.

His accent or cleverness was never an issue for me.

His one-dimensional tactics were.

He would most likely still be here if he had had Latapy as his assitant back then.

Keith_M
27-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I think it's entirely possible that, like Mixu, Yogi has since improved as a Manager. As others have said, maybe having Latapy as an Assistant is also a big help.

FWIW, I wouldn't imagine that anybody wanted rid of him purely for his accent.

Andy74
27-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Maybe a bit harsh. Yogi had an excellent first 6 months however we stumbled over the line for a place in Europe. Still a fine season by our standard.
The season after he seemed very limited in having the ability to turn things around, hence the reason he was sacked?

Delighted to see him do so well with Caley.

We do turn on people though and assume they are useless rather than trying to understand, support and help push on.

I think, undoubtedly, it is part of the reason we are where we are now.

Hughes had put together a decent team but it wasn't really built for what turned out to be a shocker of a winter and the pitches in the SPL were a disgrace that second half of the season. Bamba went to the ANC, injuries to McBride, Zemmama and Stack. Stokes getting sold from under him latterly. The East Stand got ripped down our home form went with it. Excuses, yes, but also some valid reasons.

A few on her took great delight in having a laugh at him the last couple of years. Nice to see him doing well just now.

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Wanted it too much as Hibs manager, couldn't step back and take a more reasoned overview, and lost the plot under stress, reverting to adolescent YLT management style, which alienated players.

Has since used the opportunity to take stock, acknowledge his deficiencies, and brought in the complimentary 'good cop' in Russell Latapy. Yogi is no dummy, he's a smart, sharp and passionate man. The stress he was latterly under at Hibs showed people the worst aspect of him, but there are many fine ones, and once again, it sad that circumstances didn't allow us to be beneficiaries of that.

Delighted to see him and Russell doing well and wish them nothing but the best.

Tom Hart RIP
27-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Wanted it too much as Hibs manager, couldn't step back and take a more reasoned overview, and lost the plot under stress, reverting to adolescent YLT management style, which alienated players.

Has since used the opportunity to take stock, acknowledge his deficiencies, and brought in the complimentary 'good cop' in Russell Latapy. Yogi is no dummy, he's a smart, sharp and passionate man. The stress he was latterly under at Hibs showed people the worst aspect of him, but there are many fine ones, and once again, it sad that circumstances didn't allow us to be beneficiaries of that.

Agree 100%. I think the fans underestimate the loss of Stokes coupled with the injury to Duffy which left us short up front.
Also the 2-2 draw with Ross County at Easter road in the cup was the turning point but what is often forgotten is that Deek had a good goal wrongly chopped off when we were 2-1 up.
Glad to see him and Russell doing so well though.

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-11-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm pleased for Yogi. I do think something strange happens in Inverness when a manager goes up there though. He's having the best period of his career. Craig Brewster done great before getting completely found out, even John Robertson looked like he knew what he was doing. In the real world, he's a chronic coach. Who was the other guy that was a success up there? Patterson? Then we have the piece de resistance, big Terry. Looked like a world beater up there yet he's been an utter abomination of a manager in every other job for 20 years.
Maybe it's the absolute treck other teams have to face to get there that gives them an advantage? Maybe there's something in the water? There's definitely something that brings out the best in managers

Smartie
27-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Good post, I agree with this 100%.

I think he was hung out to dry over the course of his last transfer window. At the time I tended to blame these catastrophic dealings on the manager, but it was a similar pattern across so many transfer windows that I reckon someone else was more culpable. Losing Stokes and bringing in Duffy and an unfit Trakys was only ever going to have us going one way.

He's moved on and is doing well now, we should do the same.

Stevie Reid
27-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Delighted to see him doing so well. There is absolutely no denying that on here at least, he took pretty disgusting abuse from some for the way he spoke - it was very sad. But then, Mixu was also subjected to insults like 'The Fat Finn', and such like. Both their respective tenures warranted a certain level of criticism, and I wasn't sad when either of them left - but both of them are much better off where they are currently, whilst we are miles away from where we were during most of their time here.

Don't get me wrong, Mixu's style (though not results) was mind numbing for a great deal of his only full season (especially in comparison to what went before), and Yogi did seem to have run out of answers towards the end. I think Mixu openly admitted that his time with us made him completely re-evaluate what he wanted to do as a manager, hence that massive change in style when he took over at Killie - I've no doubt that Yogi would have learned from his mistakes also.

There is no guarantee that either would have improved to their current extent had they remained as our manager for longer (especially Mixu, given what I mention above), but I do think that our support (and probably football supporters in general) do write managers off extremely early these days - as soon as things take a downturn, many believe that they will never turn things round again, and any previous doubters start to make claims that they always 'knew' they were a bad manager. Things tend to snowball pretty quickly from there, with message board opinions being extremely influential.

Of course the vast majority of managers can't be defined categorically as 'good' or 'bad' - most will have successes and failures throughout their careers. Sometimes it works out for people at certain clubs, sometimes doing the same things elsewhere ends in dismal failure. Of course, for any manager to develop and improve they will have to learn from their mistakes, which naturally involves making mistakes in the first place - not many supporters are that sympathetic in the modern game though. I don't think Davie Moyes would have survived his second full season at Everton in today's environment - yet the following season they finished 4th, an incredible achievement.

For all the flack that the two of them take, I think the Newcastle situation with Alan Pardew and Mike Ashley is the best example of what can happen when a club sticks with a manager when their level drops well below what they had previously achieved. Not a popular appointment in the first place, he did a great job in his first full season - since then I've lost count of the number of times that it seemed just a matter of when he would be sacked, before he completely turned things round again.

Only two months ago he was a dead man walking, yet six wins in a row sees them in the QF of the league cup, and jump from the relegation places to joint 4th in the EPL (and above many clubs who have spent much more money).

snooky
27-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Chris Small kens whit's goin' oan. :wink:

jacomo
27-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Fair assessments on here. The wheels really did seem to come off for Yogi after Stokes was sold, and he wasn't dealing well with the pressure.

I also think he was hung out to dry, and then sacked just before the AGM. Us fans (as a collective) are often impatient and unreasonable, but it wasn't us who sacked him. Had the Board (by which I mean RP) done more to support their manager things might have turned out differently.

jdships
27-11-2014, 04:30 PM
His accent or cleverness was never an issue for me.

His one-dimensional tactics were.

He would most likely still be here if he had had Latapy as his assitant back then.

Agree with your take as did a number of the players on the grounds even if he had a "plan B" he wasn't quite sure when/how to use it
Nice to see him doing well all the same !

" Worrying thing about football management is you are only as good as your last ame"
Joe Mercer

Sir David Gray
27-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Utter nonsense.

People were calling for him to leave because, at the time of his departure, we had won just 5 of our last 28 matches and we were sitting just one point off the bottom of the table when he left.

Arch Stanton
27-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Good post, I agree with this 100%.

I think he was hung out to dry over the course of his last transfer window. At the time I tended to blame these catastrophic dealings on the manager, but it was a similar pattern across so many transfer windows that I reckon someone else was more culpable. Losing Stokes and bringing in Duffy and an unfit Trakys was only ever going to have us going one way.

He's moved on and is doing well now, we should do the same.

I disagree he was hung out to dry - he had benefitted from a high earnings to turnover ratio which was not sustainable.

Stokes was fundmental to any success he had, but having a brilliant striker getting goals from nothing isn't a good long term strategy.

I never saw any signs of any managerial astuteness when he was at Hibs so he's proving me wrong with what he's doing at ICT and good luck to him.

greenlex
27-11-2014, 04:59 PM
He talks a good game but will crash and burn soon enough.

chinaman
27-11-2014, 05:49 PM

Great post

emerald green
27-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Utter nonsense.

People were calling for him to leave because, at the time of his departure, we had won just 5 of our last 28 matches and we were sitting just one point off the bottom of the table when he left.

:agree: That's why Yogi was sacked. A lot of managers would have been sacked before it got as bad as that.

It may not necessarily have all been down to Yogi. Probably not, because that's far too simplistic, but that's the way it is in football management now sadly.

To suggest it had anything to do with his way of speaking is just way off beam IMHO.

Brizo
27-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Utter nonsense.

:agree:

The "he got sacked because of how he spoke" argument is, as the above quote, states nonsense. He got sacked because of his stats and because the fans turned against him for football reasons not elocution reasons.

Id like to believe DBS assessment further up the thread but I heard enough from players and parents of players in Yogis Hibs squad about his man management style to make me have my doubts. The real test for Yogi will be if his team hit a really bad run. If he deals with it by reverting to playground bully mentality it will only end one way. If however he has finally learned his lesson fair play to him.

basehibby
27-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Fair assessments on here. The wheels really did seem to come off for Yogi after Stokes was sold, and he wasn't dealing well with the pressure.

I also think he was hung out to dry, and then sacked just before the AGM. Us fans (as a collective) are often impatient and unreasonable, but it wasn't us who sacked him. Had the Board (by which I mean RP) done more to support their manager things might have turned out differently.

:agree: I agree that some of our support can be a bit too impatient at times but ultimately it's not them that make these decisions. I felt that RP/the board were too trigger happy with both Hughes and Mixu who both could have benefited from stronger leadership in the form of backing from above (both verbal and fiscal) for the men they had selected for the hotseat.

Another factor at work here is the shear size of the job at Hibs - it IS a markedly bigger club than the likes of ICT or Killie or Falkirk and comes with a lot more media attention and pressure from the support. Every move and every word is under the microscope and the bar is set higher in terms of what's expected.

As a result it's not uncommon for managers (and players!) to struggle to find their feet whereby they have thrived at smaller clubs where they have maybe had a chance to settle in to their roles without being in the spotlight quite so much. I think that the role of chief executive is crucial in this - managers need some support from somewhere in the club when times are hard and I suspect that RP, excellent administrator though he otherwise may be, has lacked the suitable persona to engender confidence in the managers he has helped to appoint. I'm hopeful that Leanne Dempster will do better in this respect - she certainly comes across as a more approachable personality than the canny tache-meister ever did.

Anyway - back to the OP - delighted for Hughes that he's managed to restore his reputation up at ICT - I did feel he was somewhat hard done by by some fans at ER who seem to expect our managers to be all things to all men and are all too quick to crucify them for any perceived shortcoming. Yogi has grabbed the opportunity with both hands to show us that he's not all daft even if he sometimes sounds it - so good luck to him :thumbsup:

davidw
27-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Utter nonsense.

Exactly. Well said. He was awful. Nothing to do with the way he spoke or anything else. I remember the old "you don't know what you're doing" chant being sung away at St. Johnstone because, er, he clearly didn't know what he was doing.

(But if we have to mention his speech, it was nothing about HOW he sounded, but his inability to stop talking b*llocks that added fuel to the fire - I remember him laughing and joking with Chick Young (I think) on the radio after the 6-6 capitulation at Motherwell -"great game for the neutral ha ha ha" etc. I was sitting in the car outside Fir Park screaming at the radio in anger - he should have been issuing a grovelling apology, saying how embarrassed he was by it, and instead it was big laughs with his pal Chick).

Utter tube. Delighted he's nowhere near Easter Rd.

Jonnyboy
27-11-2014, 07:54 PM

Eloquence matched only by your sartorial elegance Bob :agree:

4 Front Teeth
27-11-2014, 11:24 PM
2 points.

1. It's a bit silly to deny he was bullied on here for his speech and intelligence. I for one was upset by that.

2. Will fans ever learn that not being behind the team is a massive advantage for the opponent. Yogi was massively handicapped by that. I wish we wee above that. The recent Newcastle example is a good one.

Cameron1875
28-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Pleased to see him doing well up there :agree:

A good hibby.

Brizo
28-11-2014, 07:07 AM
2 points.

1. It's a bit silly to deny he was bullied on here for his speech and intelligence. I for one was upset by that.

2. Will fans ever learn that not being behind the team is a massive advantage for the opponent. Yogi was massively handicapped by that. I wish we wee above that. The recent Newcastle example is a good one.

Id suggest it was more about what he said than how he spoke. He didn't half talk some total drivel. A previous poster has already mentioned his performance after the 6 all game. The phrase "loves his own voice" could have been coined for Yogi and a lot of what he came out with before and after games was just rubbish.

One of the most eloquent articulate people ive ever heard was Mick McGahey and he had the most working class accent going. So for me it was about what Yogi said and not his accent.

Re your second point I saw Yogi slagging off his own players to fans sitting behind the dug outs so if there was any negativity from the stands he did a fair bit to fuel it himself ! That behaviour was a prime example of Yogis boorish bullying management style which caused a lot of dressing room problems, and which no doubt contributed to the dismal run which ended his tenure.

Thecat23
28-11-2014, 07:12 AM
I wanted him to leave because we weren't winning games and his attitude towards some of the young players was terrible. His over the top screaming and punching the dugout after a bad pass wasn't what I want from a hibs manager.

You read on here about how we as fans shouldn't be negative towards players, he was one of the worst for it.

Couldn't care less about him or ICT.

Tyler Durden
28-11-2014, 07:25 AM
2 points.

Not sure how Newcastle is a good example. Their fans gave Pardew far worse abuse than any Hibs manager has had and the team went out and won 6 games.

Yogi wasted a great opportunity at Hibs, nobody's fault but his own. Started great in terms of recruitment with Stokes, Miller and getting the best out of Wotherspoon and Bamba for example. Then we have his goalie school, the 2 he signed were woeful. Then Hart and De Graff, Trakys, Duffy, Grounds etc

Nothing to do with fans

Mikeystewart
28-11-2014, 12:01 PM
I was always under the impression that Stokes was sold due to an 800k minimum release clause, hence why we got him in the first place. Was that another BS rumor or was it the alleged gambling addiction that resulted in The Tash biting Celtic's hand off at 800k to get rid?

heretoday
28-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Always struck me as a bit of a bully. Perhaps he's learned to be more subtle.

oldbutdim
28-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I wanted him to leave because we weren't winning games and his attitude towards some of the young players was terrible. His over the top screaming and punching the dugout after a bad pass wasn't what I want from a hibs manager.

You read on here about how we as fans shouldn't be negative towards players, he was one of the worst for it.

Couldn't care less about him or ICT.

My feelings exactly.

Andy74
28-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Always struck me as a bit of a bully. Perhaps he's learned to be more subtle.

I was talking to Scott Arfield recently and we were chatting about Hughes. I mentioned some of the stories that appeared on here about his time at Hibs. His thoughts were that Hughes was absolutely fantastic to work under and was brilliant with the young players. Showing a bit of passion and frustration could be misinterpreted looking in but they all knew that he was about.

We do like to create these things to criticise our managers about though - all part of what we like to do when we have tough spells.

Stevie Reid
28-11-2014, 01:49 PM
I was talking to Scott Arfield recently and we were chatting about Hughes. I mentioned some of the stories that appeared on here about his time at Hibs. His thoughts were that Hughes was absolutely fantastic to work under and was brilliant with the young players. Showing a bit of passion and frustration could be misinterpreted looking in but they all knew that he was about.

We do like to create these things to criticise our managers about though - all part of what we like to do when we have tough spells.

Richie Foran on Hughes: -

"I think there were quite a few people not sure about him when he first got the job," Foran told BBC Scotland.
"I'm sure he's changed their minds. He always had that belief from the start. He's always said on the training ground, 'believe me this style of football will work'.
"At the start players weren't sure themselves. Players are afraid to change. Some of the players were maybe thinking they weren't good enough to play his way.
"He kept telling us. Eventually you start believing in yourselves.
"He loves his coaching. He'd have us on the training park 24/7 if he could. That's his real passion."

Andy74
28-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Richie Foran on Hughes: -

"I think there were quite a few people not sure about him when he first got the job," Foran told BBC Scotland.
"I'm sure he's changed their minds. He always had that belief from the start. He's always said on the training ground, 'believe me this style of football will work'.
"At the start players weren't sure themselves. Players are afraid to change. Some of the players were maybe thinking they weren't good enough to play his way.
"He kept telling us. Eventually you start believing in yourselves.
"He loves his coaching. He'd have us on the training park 24/7 if he could. That's his real passion."

From one of the players he supposedly ruined by shattering his confidence:

Wotherspoon paid tribute to the manager who had given him his breakthrough in the Hibs first team. He said that he hoped Hughes found his way back into management soon but also had his fingers crossed that whoever succeeded the former boss would keep him in the team.

"The manager has had a huge impact on my career, he kickstarted it," Wotherspoon said. "I had just moved up to the under-19s and he put me in to the first team.

"I wasn't expecting such a quick start to my career but he had faith in me and stuck with me and I really appreciate that. I got to know him over the past couple of years and he showed a real enthusiasm and passion for the club.

"He has a real determination so hopefully he will bounce back straight away because he has that about his character and I wish him all the best."

Pretty Boy
28-11-2014, 01:55 PM

I've no idea how Yogi treated the young lads or if such rumours are true.

I definitely think he lost the plot a bit towards the end of his time at Hibs, maybe his passion for the club boiling over? I sat right behind the Hibs dugout at an away game v St Johnstone (it was one of the last games he was in charge, if not the last) and his behaviour was worrying. Punching the dug out, kicking over water bottles, arguing with fans, we had a young Lewis Horner on the bench that day and he screamed at him to 'get ****ing warmed up' then 2 minutes later told him to 'sit the **** down and shut up' (he never did bring him on).

I grew to like Yogi after being sceptical of his appointment but he seemed to crack under the pressure at Hibs. As said above some of the grief he got was for what he said rather than how he said it. When he left ER I think it was a relief for most concerned, including Hughes himself.

Andy74
28-11-2014, 01:57 PM
I've no idea how Yogi treated the young lads or if such rumours are true.

I definitely think he lost the plot a bit towards the end of his time at Hibs, maybe his passion for the club boiling over? I sat right behind the Hibs dugout at an away game v St Johnstone (it was one of the last games he was in charge, if not the last) and his behaviour was worrying. Punching the dug out, kicking over water bottles, arguing with fans, we had a young Lewis Horner on the bench that day and he screamed at him to 'get ****ing warmed up' then 2 minutes later told him to 'sit the **** down and shut up' (he never did bring him on).

I grew to like Yogi after being sceptical of his appointment but he seemed to crack under the pressure at Hibs. As said above some of the grief he got was for what he said rather than how he said it. When he left ER I think it was a relief for most concerned, including Hughes himself.

Not for the players though it seems. Another here:

John Rankin says he and his Hibernian team-mates were left "gutted" by the departure of manager John Hughes.

Hughes left the club on Monday after a poor string of results running into last season and with Hibs sitting tenth in the Scottish Premier League.

"The manager was very popular in the dressing-room," said Rankin.

"There were no divisions at all. Everybody was behind the gaffer 100% and the players have to take a huge part of the blame for the results."

Lewis Horner by the way was obviously so disturbed he signed for him at ICT.

Lewis told the club's official website: "I played under John’s guidance previously during my spell at Hibs and when the opportunity to join a club of the stature of ICTFC arose it was too good to turn down.

"Although I have only been around the club over the past three weeks it did not take long for me to decide if the manager wanted me then this was an excellent place for me.

"The camaraderie between the lads in the dressing room is the best I have experienced and everybody has made me very welcome. I am relishing the chance to show the club and fans what I can do."

jacomo
28-11-2014, 03:42 PM
He didn't leave. Your hero RP sacked him.

:wink:

Pretty Boy
28-11-2014, 04:53 PM

John Rankin says he and his Hibernian team-mates were left "gutted" by the departure of manager John Hughes.

Hughes left the club on Monday after a poor string of results running into last season and with Hibs sitting tenth in the Scottish Premier League.

"There were no divisions at all. Everybody was behind the gaffer 100% and the players have to take a huge part of the blame for the results."

Lewis told the club's official website: "I played under John’s guidance previously during my spell at Hibs and when the opportunity to join a club of the stature of ICTFC arose it was too good to turn down.

"Although I have only been around the club over the past three weeks it did not take long for me to decide if the manager wanted me then this was an excellent place for me.

"The camaraderie between the lads in the dressing room is the best I have experienced and everybody has made me very welcome. I am relishing the chance to show the club and fans what I can do."

My post wasn't really meant as a comment on his man management or his popularity. It was meant to illustrate that, imo of course, Yogi was on the edge.

I think he partly suffered from being too open and honest. Telling an AGM Stokes was sold for 'football reasons' was a bad move on his part. The now infamous 'fitba folk ken whats going on' line was madness. Everyone knows a lot of football fans don't understand the game but the manager of the club never, ever says it.

I'm sure like others he had those who liked him and those who didn't. If my boss left tomorrow I'd be quite upset, for lack of a better word, because I get on with him. I'm sure others sould be dancing a jig of joy. Ultimately Hughes left Hibs not because of rumours or the way he spoke, he left because we were on a horrendous run of form, for various reasons, that saw no sign of coming to an end.

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2014, 05:07 PM
I was always under the impression that Stokes was sold due to an 800k minimum release clause, hence why we got him in the first place. Was that another BS rumor or was it the alleged gambling addiction that resulted in The Tash biting Celtic's hand off at 800k to get rid?Stokes was sold for 1.2million and if stories are to be believed I'm not surprised Petrie got rid, Stokes is not the type of player or person I want at Easter Road. Pretty sure there was no release clause.

Smartie
28-11-2014, 06:24 PM
I disagree he was hung out to dry - he had benefitted from a high earnings to turnover ratio which was not sustainable.

Stokes was fundmental to any success he had, but having a brilliant striker getting goals from nothing isn't a good long term strategy.

I never saw any signs of any managerial astuteness when he was at Hibs so he's proving me wrong with what he's doing at ICT and good luck to him.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

I don't think Hughes' time struck me as being a time synonymous with a high earnings to turnover ratio. Had he not just lost Jones and Fletcher before he took over? This was (partially) reinvested in Stokes. It wasn't exactly the wild excesses of Hearts and Rangers or even the ridiculous situation that led to us having Fenwick and O'Neil on the payroll but being unable to play them.

I don't agree about having a great goalscorer who scores out of nothing not being a sustainable strategy. We've had Riordan, Griffiths and Stokes in recent years who were all capable of scoring out of nothing. The Griffiths situation you could say was unsustainable because he was on loan but these players are preferable to the numpties we've had over the past few years who fitted into our pay structure yet couldn't hit a barn door.

I did see signs of managerial astuteness from Yogi. He signed some half-decent players (along with some total diddies) and had us playing good stuff at times. The first half of his first season was excellent, albeit it faded badly. He was far from the finished article, did some things well, even very well but made mistakes, no doubt about it.

With hindsight he was at Hibs at a bad time. The whole club was in a steady decline and at the time we had a tendency to point the finger at the manager - every time. He wasn't brilliant, he wasn't rubbish but was a young, relatively inexperienced manager in the biggest job he'd had up until that point and was bound to make the odd mistake, like Mowbray, like Mixu, like Collins. He deserved better backing from the fans and the club and didn't get it, which I regret. And in Calderwood (who I rate as the worst of our recent incumbents) we got something unquestionably worse, which is something worth remembering when we're considering doling out flak to our current promising yet inexperienced manager.

There's a great clip on (I think it was) that horrible video that the 1997 relegation team made where he talks about what it means to be captain of our club. You could see what it meant to him and when he became manager it was probably too much. He's done enough decent things at Hibs (and often at pretty tough times for the club, with mitigating circumstances) that I don't find it hard to wish him well.

Thecat23
28-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Any player to come out and publicly hammer into their manager whether former or current would be football suicide. I was very close to couple of players at the time of his reign and believe me he was very arrogant towards many players and his temper was off the handle if certain players didn't do well in training.

I didn't like the stick he got from folk on here about the way he spoke to the press. For me where you come from mean nothing as long as you can do the job. He'd won 5 games I think out of about 20 odd and was losing the plot near the end! I know at least 6 players at that time very happy he left. 4 who played most weeks under him.

There will be guys who he liked that would be gutted he went though.

4 Front Teeth
29-11-2014, 10:33 AM
From this thread it seems the feeling is that Yogi and Mixu learned from their experience here - why don't we get behind the team/manager and let them do their learning here? - bringing success here?

I suppose it all comes back to the fact that I believe, unfortunately, Hibs fans have become the teams worst enemy - it seems very hard for the team to get the fans on side and at times it almost seems like we are desperate for any excuse to boo the team. A good player will make a few mistakes each game, does the crowd need to audibly express disappointment at every mistake, does that help of does it put the players on edge? If you play football at any level, surely you know that as soon as a couple of players let you know you are playing rubbish it just makes it worse. Sometimes I feel its not the players but the fans that need motivational speakers and sports psychologists! Given the past number of years - it's not hard to see why we have become this way but I think it is a downward spiral that needs to be broken.

Mikeystewart
29-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Stokes was sold for 1.2million and if stories are to be believed I'm not surprised Petrie got rid, Stokes is not the type of player or person I want at Easter Road. Pretty sure there was no release clause.

Are you sure about that? if so must include add-ons, every report at the time quoted 800k.