PDA

View Full Version : The winner of 4th v 3rd plays 2nd ?

ads913
24-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Championship League just found this out .
All the talk on sportscene will anyone catch up on Hearts walkers and Rangers biters
So even though we are lagging behind we still have a chance.
Is this right ?

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/

The winner of 4th v 3rd plays 2nd

Leith Green
24-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I can hear a penny dropping....

ads913
24-11-2014, 05:45 PM
what a muppet i am . :cb

Billy Whizz
24-11-2014, 05:50 PM
what a muppet i am . :cb

You didn't know?

Baldy Foghorn
24-11-2014, 05:53 PM
All the talk on sportscene will anyone catch up on Hearts walkers and Rangers biters
Is this right ?

And the winner of 4th v 3rd/ v 2nd then plays 2nd bottom of premier

ads913
24-11-2014, 06:01 PM
You didn't know?

Nope just assumed it was just 1st and 2nd.
I am happy to find this out.

offshorehibby
24-11-2014, 06:02 PM
It's the exact same as last season.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Lol what great news that must be for you mate if you were previously unaware.

Leith Green
24-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Nope just assumed it was just 1st and 2nd.
I am happy to find this out.

Did you not twig when we played a two leg play off last season, that saw us relegated ??

Hermit Crab
24-11-2014, 06:37 PM
:doh:

Sir David Gray
24-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Is this right ?

Just out of interest, what did you think happened last year when we played Hamilton?

I'm not having a go by the way, genuinely interested!

wazoo1875
24-11-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm guessing ads913 just presumed we played Hamilton in a straight 2 legged playoff. Obviously not knowing of the previous matches not involving Hibs

ads913
24-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm guessing ads913 just presumed we played Hamilton in a straight 2 legged playoff. Obviously not knowing of the previous matches not involving Hibs

Pretty much. I think i was one of the guys who said it would never happen(play offs never mind relegation) and was not paying attention.
But happy Hibs can finish 3rd or 4th and still have a chance .

SaulGoodman
24-11-2014, 07:26 PM
We'll no need it when we finish first anyway.

SteveHFC
24-11-2014, 07:28 PM
We'll finish 3rd, beat Queen of the South then Rangers then end up losing to St.Mirren knowing Hibs. :duck:

Northern Hibby
25-11-2014, 11:44 AM
We'll finish 3rd, beat Queen of the South then Rangers then end up losing to St.Mirren knowing Hibs. :duck:

So IF we finished 4th (I expect at least 2nd) how many matches to secure promotion? are they all over 2 legs? :confused:

if it is over 2 legs I can do the math

Billy Whizz
25-11-2014, 11:47 AM
So IF we finished 4th (I expect at least 2nd) how many matches to secure promotion? are they all over 2 legs? :confused:

Yes all over 2 legs, would be 6 games in total. We need to get at least 2nd

Aldoo
25-11-2014, 11:51 AM

if it is over 2 legs I can do the math

I believe we need to play 6 games to get promoted if we finish 4th.

I think the top division teams only agreed to allow play offs for relegation if this structure was put in place as it was meant to provide further insurnace against a top team going down due to said top team apparently being fresher having played minimum 2 games less in a short timeframe.

Unfortunately Hibs found a way to defy this logic.

I believe the same thinking is behind the lowland/highland teams having to play extra games just to get a tie against the bottom of league 2 team.

Northern Hibby
25-11-2014, 12:03 PM
I believe we need to play 6 games to get promoted if we finish 4th.

I think the top division teams only agreed to allow play offs for relegation if this structure was put in place as it was meant to provide further insurnace against a top team going down due to said top team apparently being fresher having played minimum 2 games less in a short timeframe.

Unfortunately Hibs found a way to defy this logic.

I believe the same thinking is behind the lowland/highland teams having to play extra games just to get a tie against the bottom of league 2 team.

So in a No of games sense, there is no advantage to finishing 3rd instead of 4th :rolleyes:

allezsauzee
25-11-2014, 12:11 PM
So in a No of games sense, there is no advantage to finishing 3rd instead of 4th :rolleyes:

You get the marginal advantage of playing the 2nd leg at home, so that any extra time would be played at home.

Sir David Gray
25-11-2014, 12:12 PM

If you finish 3rd you'll have the second leg of the first play off tie against the 4th placed team at home.

Teams that finish 3rd and 4th both have six matches to play in order to get promoted.

2nd has four matches and the 11th placed team in the Premiership only has two matches to play.

Newry Hibs
25-11-2014, 12:12 PM
If 4th, then we would play the second leg away from home. So (given Hamilton last year and form this year) - maybe 4th wouldn't be so bad?? Plus would play the other play offs with the second leg away as well.

Broken Gnome
25-11-2014, 12:13 PM
You get the marginal advantage of playing the 2nd leg at home, so that any extra time would be played at home.

We defied that logic too.

patlowe
25-11-2014, 12:26 PM
For all the doom and gloom that has been around the support in recent months, we'd really have to go some to not have a decent chance of promotion come the end of the season IMO. Regardless of past disappointments, we know that we are as good as anyone in the league on our day, so the next few months should be about first ensuring top 4 and then gearing everything towards being in peak condition come May.

On a related note, assuming we end up playing one of Hearts or Rangers in the semi-final (?), those games will be absolutely huge. Guaranteed sell-outs.

heretoday
25-11-2014, 12:29 PM
So we are in a play-off place? Good show! That's put a spring in my step.

AndyM_1875
25-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Hibs to lose to St Mirren in Play Off final, probably on penalties would be so Hibs.

**runs off to bookies to place bet**

iwasthere1972
25-11-2014, 04:34 PM
About as thick as the Millwall fan who tried to buy his own season ticket seat a couple of years ago.

Sky Sports News understands that Colin Stein has left Hibs and gone to Rangers. £100k being mentioned.

Waxy
25-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Wonder if any of the purple mob don't realise that 4th gets a playoff and we are certainties to have a chance to go up. Must be at least one?

Forza Fred
26-11-2014, 05:00 AM
Pretty much. I think i was one of the guys who said it would never happen(play offs never mind relegation) and was not paying attention.
But happy Hibs can finish 3rd or 4th and still have a chance .

Has a whiff about it?

malagahibby
26-11-2014, 06:14 AM
I want hibs to apply to the SFA to play both legs away from home .
Got chance that way .

Keith_M
26-11-2014, 08:29 AM
In other shock news for ads193.................

There is no Santa
The Tooth Fairy isn't real, it was your Mum that put money under your pillow.
The Easter Bunny was invented by Clinton Cards

:greengrin

Mathias Jack
26-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Anybody not think that the play offs would be better if set up this way?

All teams thrown into a draw, two legged affair for the first game; then have a 'showpiece' final a la the play offs in England...

Billy Whizz
26-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Anybody not think that the play offs would be better if set up this way?

All teams thrown into a draw, two legged affair for the first game; then have a 'showpiece' final a la the play offs in England...

Think you're right. However the 2 leg final was supposed to be in favour of the Premiership team!!!!

Mathias Jack
26-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Think you're right. However the 2 leg final was supposed to be in favour of the Premiership team!!!!

Yeah I know but why protect the 'status quo' of the SPL when the team, us last year, just simply weren't good enough and finished second bottom? I'd say in almost any other country or division anywhere, 2nd bottom would be relegated anyways!