PDA

View Full Version : When was this?

4 Front Teeth
23-11-2014, 11:58 PM
I'm confused as don't remember the red fencing?!

Check out @Paulwhittle8's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Paulwhittle8/status/536653237852844034

Where is the best place to see old pics? Should we create a site to store them. Hopefully there are loads of us with old pics that we could share. Anything prior to the current set up would interest me! I think it would be cool anyway!

O'Rourke3
24-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Confused by the fence as well. The McEwans lager ad places it in time possibly pre segregation but that end had a wall like all the others.

Peevemor
24-11-2014, 12:28 AM
Definitely not pre segregation. The red fencing between the Dunbar end and the stand can be seen quite clearly on the YouTube highlights on the "nostalgia - 30 years ago" thread.

Oops! For non PMs Hibernian v Rangers 10 Nov 1984*: http://youtu.be/V3dnjVnxaLI

Broken Gnome
24-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Is that not the North end of the ground? Looks like it's taken from the corner of the East and facing a roofed stand - that would have to be the Main Stand wouldn't it?

Peevemor
24-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Is that not the North end of the ground? Looks like it's taken from the corner of the East and facing a roofed stand - that would have to be the Main Stand wouldn't it?

No, it's definitely the Dunbar end on the right, with the McEwans Lager advert fixed to the old half-time scoreboard. When the East terracing was all standing, there was a segregation gap between it and the Dunbar end, in the photo there are advertising boards on this part of the East terracing.

CropleyWasGod
24-11-2014, 10:56 AM
The red fencing is just on the run-off bit.

You can't see the wall properly, but it's there.

Somebody on Twitter mentions the "You've Got the Power" McEwans ad.... that would put it about 1986. (remember it well, since my 2 year old daughter used my copy as a frisbee and demolished it. Never forgiven her. :rolleyes:)

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-11-2014, 10:58 AM

That's surely a fail of epic proportions! ;-)

Broken Gnome
24-11-2014, 12:05 PM
That's surely a fail of epic proportions! ;-)

Probably. And now I've done a close up, definitely.

When did the North and East terraces get covered? Can't ever recall seeing the East look like that, hence the confusion.

Peevemor
24-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Probably. And now I've done a close up, definitely.

When did the North and East terraces get covered? Can't ever recall seeing the East look like that, hence the confusion.

The (far) corner were looking at in the photo is this - note the half-time scoreboard

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCaMVf1_xYzk2XU1OQa8FX_tdMUkLRL zieUXFRphWhqCd-twOD

Then the East was reduced in height and covered by Kenny Waugh

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BPBojSYFPDw/RwQcP_tLEjI/AAAAAAAAAos/XUK91pD5SwQ/s400/east+stand+no+more.jpg

Nomeancity
24-11-2014, 10:07 PM
No, it's definitely the Dunbar end on the right, with the McEwans Lager advert fixed to the old half-time scoreboard. When the East terracing was all standing, there was a segregation gap between it and the Dunbar end, in the photo there are advertising boards on this part of the East terracing.

Did the segration bit not go up some time after the CS gas. Don't think it was always there. I can remember being fairly close to away fans at some games.

Peevemor
24-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Did the segration bit not go up some time after the CS gas. Don't think it was always there. I can remember being fairly close to away fans at some games.

TBH I can't remember. I generally only went as far along as the halfway line (first half) then moved down the slope a bit for the second half.

eastterrace
24-11-2014, 10:16 PM

segregation was already there at the cs gas celtic game.

Alfred E Newman
24-11-2014, 10:19 PM
In the auld days all the barriers were painted red. Brilliant!

Libby Hibby
24-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Pre the CS Gas game vs Celtic, the big high fence between East and Dunbar not installed

madabouthibs
24-11-2014, 11:10 PM
The segragation bit (no mans land) was there from at least the building of the East Stand, possibly earlier. I think they made it wider in the mid to late 80's though.

norhfc
25-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Remember being right up to the fence with no no mans land, about 76 77. We where playing Celtic and shouting abuse at each other, the odd missile came flying over. Bizzarly I was nearly hit by a 1kg box of salt ! must have stolen it on way to game, landed at my feet but would have hospitilized me had it connected with my noggen.
There was a thin blue line along the fence but we where in touching distance as I mind reading the IRA slogans on the Celtics fans crash helmets, a fashion at the time :)

Keith_M
25-11-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm confused as don't remember the red fencing?!

Check out @Paulwhittle8's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Paulwhittle8/status/536653237852844034

Where is the best place to see old pics? Should we create a site to store them. Hopefully there are loads of us with old pics that we could share. Anything prior to the current set up would interest me! I think it would be cool anyway!

Exit from Dunbar End and definitely late 80s.

For some bizarre reason, the Crush Barriers at ER used to be all painted red. It wasn't until the mid 80s that they were painted green and white.

skipster7
25-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Definitely not pre segregation. The red fencing between the Dunbar end and the stand can be seen quite clearly on the YouTube highlights on the "nostalgia - 30 years ago" thread.

Oops! For non PMs Hibernian v Rangers 10 Nov 1984*: http://youtu.be/V3dnjVnxaLI
was at that game, definitely a pen on Durie. Loved Willie Irvine mk 1. Would estimate pic from about 87. Think the roof was going on the east during our run to skol cup final in 85